Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sonata Bluetooth Problems

Comments

• bob10345bob10345 Member Posts: 18
    I kept my 9AM appointment this morning at 5 Star Hyundai in Warner Robins Georgia. Although they didn't resolve the issue of Bluetooth 15 minute time-out they did inform me that Hyundai is aware of the problem and are presently working on a solution as to how to fix it. They will not be replacing the head unit because any 2013 Sonata manufactured during a certain date has the time-out issue and any head unit that was made in that same time frame is subject to be bad as well. Right now I'm in a waiting game that can be awhile for them to resolve the problem. They are leaning toward a software issue and may just have to upgrade the program but if that can't be done then who knows how long an on going issue we will be looking at going forward.
    That's all I have to tell anyone about this time-out issue so good luck and I don't think we are going to get a quick fix anytime soon but if they do contact me about this problem I will let everyone know the solution.
  • laalaasc00laalaasc00 Member Posts: 3
    I also had the same experience when I went the Hendrick Hyundai North. Of course the employee that said the unit would be replaced was not there but the manager was. He called his district manager who said that The Hyundai engineers were working on the problem and would hopefully have a software update in April.
    Of course I was upset because I have been told different and that the radio would be replaced I called Hyundai Customer and was eventually told that that yes there were aware of the problem and that Hyundai and Bluetooth were working on the problem. There are apparently a list of cars that are having this problem and the Sonta is one of them.
    :mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • radiodiva9radiodiva9 Member Posts: 1
    I am SO glad, I found this forum!!! I, too have been having the same EXACT problem as you! I actually bought a bought a 2012 Tucson last May and had NO problems with the bluetooth (I had iPhone 4 at the time). Although, I wasn't happy with the Tucson, I traded it in for a 2013 Sonata Limited in November, MUCH happier with the car, but began having problems with the bluetooth pretty much immediately! Within 2 days I noticed the issue with the audio cutting out after about 10 mins of a phone call inbound AND outbound! I took it to the dealer and they tried to reset the radio, but that did nothing. So they ordered me a brand new unit. It showed up within 3 days and they installed it right away. Left the dealership.... SAME PROBLEM!!!! I was SO frustrated, I thought it HAS to be the phone, then! I was due for an upgrade, but was debating on getting i5 or waiting for the new phone coming later, so I just dealt with it, thinking it was the phone.

I finally caved in and got the i5 yesterday and was eager to test out my new phone with my car today and I was SOOOOO pi**ed to find out the SAME problem!!! So, NEW head unit AND NEW phone? WTH? I was talking to my best friend and she suggested "googling" it to see if anyone else had this problem...and lo behold all of these people are having the same issue?! And the "technicians" at the dealership act as if they've NEVER heard of the problem? How can so many people have an iPhone and drive a Sonata and they don't know? I'm pretty perturbed at paying GOOD money for the car and having this issue continue being unresolved and NO ONE saying anything!

I WILL be contacting the dealership tomorrow...I hope there is a recall or SOMETHING! I will keep my eyes on these threads in case anyone hears something new. Good luck to everyone!
  • rbcrabbsrbcrabbs Member Posts: 16
    I have the same problem. Spoke to service department where I bought my card. They indicate that it is a firmware issue and are waiting on the fix. NOT A GOOD RESPONSE. Thhey should not sell cars with options that do function 100%
  • lskarplskarp Member Posts: 6
    I spoke to the Dealer this afternoon and they too indicated that there is a known problem with the BT connections. However, there is no ETA on the fix. They want me to bring the car in so they can look it over. IN the past, they have replaced radio units for customers. However, looking over the message boards, it has not been effective in fixing the issue.
    It seems that iPhones not connecting to the BT consistently would be a pretty high profile issue as there are a ton of Sonatas on the road, most likely with the majority of drivers using iPhones. Maybe people don't use the hands free? Or they don't talk for 15 mins?
    Anyway, I will probably take it by and have them look it over when I get my first oil change. Who knows?!?!?
  • lskarplskarp Member Posts: 6
    I think you may be being a little hard on the dealer. Cars a very complex and are expected to be compatible with literally everything. The safety of the car is not in question or the primary operation of the vehicle. If you want 100%, you probably are not going to get it for $20K. I am sure there is a $200K Bentley out there with a few bugs as well. Not a dealer, just a guy with a Sonata where the BT cuts off after 15 mins.
    This is a reply to iskarp. I paid over $27,000 for my Sonata Limited and yes I expect everything that came with the car to work. If the brakes failed I'd be pissed and if the transmission didn't shift right I'd be pissed and the same goes for the Bluetooth system. They set the price on the car and I agreed to pay what they were asking. With that agreement goes the notion that everything works. I do agree it is not a dealer issue it's the factory that's putting them together and not checking them close enough for problems but the dealer will have to handle the brunt of complaints because that's how the system is set up. I will continue to drive the car that I like so much but this issue will go along way in decided on my next car a couple years down the road.
    edited March 2013
    ALL. I HAVE A 2013 SONATA PURCHASED FROM CRESTMOUNT IN BRUNSIWCK OHIO. AFTER 15 MINUTES MY BLUETOOTH STOPS FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY ON A PHONE CALL. THE PERSON I AM CALLING CAN HEAR ME BUT I CAN NO LONGER HEAR THEM. I HAVE TRIED THIS MULTIPLE TIMES AND IT IS EXACTLY 15 MINUTES WHEN THIS OCCURS. THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT AT CRESTMOUNT SAID HYUNDAI IS WORKING ON A FIX. COULD TAKE 2 WEEKS OR COULD BE MONTHS. **************THAT-IS-UNACCEPTABLE.************************************ I SPENT 25K FOR A NEW CAR WITH A BLUETOOTH SYSTEM THAT DOES NOT WORK. HYUNDAI IS STATING THAT THEY STAND BENIND THIER CARS WITH THE BEST WARRENTY ON THE MARKET. HYUNDAI WE HAVE A PROBLEM HERE!!! FIX OR REPLACE!!! IF YOU HAVE BAD RADIOS THEN UPGRADE TO A VERSION THAT WORKS!!!
    Join the club...this problem is much more wide spread than we can even imagine. Hyundai is working on this issue but have no real time table for a solution. I say they give anyone with the problem another car without the problem. That way they can deal with the problem. I don't know how the lemon law works but everyone with the issue should be looking into it. The reason I liked the Hyundai line of cars was the "state of the art Bluetooth" and now it doesn't work properly. Will continue to look into this matter........
    Since I got three different answers from my dealer, one being to buy bluetooth headset, I decided to call Hyundai today to see what thier take would be. Here is what I was told..

1. This has been an on-going issue for a couple of months. Today is 4/1/2013 I bought my care in December 2012.
    2. The highest levels of Hyundai are aware
    3. Therey are trying to ge a software patch ready to fix the issue.
    4. There are other issues besides mine (after 15 minutes "Can't' head my call") issue.
    5. Could be another of couple of months before a fix is ready

Seems like this is taking an awfully long time to get fixed. My friend has two Fords and he has no problems. I hope that Hyudai is taking this issue seriously. Maybe it is a hardware issue and too expensive to fix. Does Hyundai monitor these boards? Would be nice to see a response from them???
    I also purchased/leased my vehicle in December of 2012 and have had the issue with Bluetooth 15 minute time out since day one. RBcrabbs what number did you call to get in touch with Hyundai? I'll call them and give them my two cents worth. My dealer seemed sincere about the fix being somewhere around mid April but I'm not so sure. Send me the number at bob10345@verizon.net or put it in a reply on this forum......thanks....Bob
  • choogchoog Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone experience the issue with the handsfree via the Bluetooth connection that the party on the other end can barely hear since it sounds like i'm muffled or very far away? Straight through cell phone is fine but handsfree via bluetooth connection, not so much.
    Here is the number. I hit zero to get an operator.

1-800-633-5151
    "Bluetooth is the problem we make cars" was the response I received from Hyundai Motors.....that's just swell because I didn't know that.....dah thanks for that valuable information miss. In the mean time I was told "they are working on the issue and all the dealerships are aware of this problem". So as far as they are concerned the issue is under control and they will notify us when they find a fix.......hahaha that's a joke. In other words they don't care. This will be my last Hyundai product. Once this is taken care of I'll be trading this car in and leasing another car that won't be a Hyundai.............
  • liboblibob Member Posts: 4
    Is this a problem with the 2013 models only. I have a 2011 and have not had this problem at all. I don't know how long I stead on the phone but I have never lost a call do to a long call.

Is the 2011 head compatible with the 2013 model?

If it is can they install a older unit in your car?
    Yeah... My Sales guy from Crestmont is Brunswick OH was suppose to call me last week after he spoke with someoine @ Hyundai. Never called... What a surprise.!!! Selling cards is more important... after the sale sorry we don 't provide any help..

I have had other issues with another dealer after a purchase. night an day... They treated me like a customer...

Crestmont .... Sales guy is terrible. And if he did call I would really doublt if he was telling the truth...

I guess that is the company line driven down from the top. and I mean the top at Hyudai.

This problem could be quite expensive for them (Hydundai) to correct. Maybe if they will ignore it it it will go away.
    As far as I know the problem with Bluetooth 15 minute timeout is only with the 2013 line of Hyundai vehicles.....and it's not only the Sonata from my understanding. I had a 2012 Sonata that I had other issues with both the Bluetooth and the Blue link systems but they weren't related and never did get repaired......so I traded the car back to Hyundai and leased the 2013 Sonata I have now and of course I have the 15 minute timeout issue that I believe will never be repaired......hopefully I'm wrong about this but that is the feeling I have when I spoke with two different dealerships in two different states (Delaware and Georgia) plus calling Hyundai Motors directly. They seem very unconcerned about the hardship on their customers (after the sale) and like it's not a big concern because they "make cars not bluetooth systems". If there is a way to get rid of your Hyundai vehicle and change to a different maker I would do it ASAP. This industry is very self centered and hard to deal with after the sale, because of all the success they are presently having......so do yourselves a favor and unload your vehicles the first chance you get.......I'm very upset at this whole don't give a damn approach they've taken.
    Here is an email that I received for Hyundai on the Bluetooth issue

Hyundai engineers are still working on a software fix to address the concerns with the Bluetooth dropping connectivity after 15 minutes. There is no estimate as to when the fix will be available for dealerships to install. We recommend that you continue to work with the service department of your local Hyundai dealership to determine when the software fix will be made available. We appreciate your patience during this time.

You can reach us by calling our toll-free customer service number at 1-800-633-5151 , if you have any further questions or concerns. Our hours of operation are 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday and 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time Saturday & Sunday. Your case number remains 5566855 if we can provide further assistance.

Thank your for your continued loyalty as a 2013 Hyundai Sonata owner and thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.
  • azfordsazfords Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Unfortunately, rbcrabbs's statement above is correct. I originally reported this issue to my dealership in Gilbert, AZ in February 2013. I have also tested the functionality with the following phones/carriers: Verizon-iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, LG Lucid, Motorola Razr M, AT&T-iPhone 4s. I have also been told that Hyundai is aware of the issue and that there is no time frame for a fix.

So, boys and girls, here is a temporary work around. (This works ok if you have your phone mounted on the dash but I would not recommend it otherwise). I have discovered that only the audio cuts out on the calls and not the calls themselves. When the issue occurs, I simply switch the call audio on my Motorola Razr M over to "Headset audio", wait about 1 second, and then switch it back to "Bluetooth". At that point, I get another 15 minutes of audio. It's a pain and reminds me of using a payphone and having to insert coins for more time. (For you young ones, payphones are phones installed in public areas that require coins to operate - UGH!, I feel older as I type this).

I have a second issue with the bluetooth. When getting into the car and using for the first time, the incoming call volume always resets to an inaudible level. This is more of an annoyance than a bug, but there is no way to set a default incoming call volume. GRRRRRR! :(

Anyway, I recommend that anyone having these issues, please call the number that Bob posted above and open a case. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!!!

My case# is 5656220.
    Thanks for the info update but I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II and that switching doesn't work. I tried it about a month or so ago and it never re-connected. When the 15 minute time out happens I just call the party back and get granted another 15 minutes (thank you Hyundai for such a gracious offering). It's a big bother but it's all I can do at this time. I've actually been looking to get out of my lease with Hyundai due to this problem and I've driven the Ford Taurus and for $30 more a month I can lease a new Taurus and guess what guys.......the Bluetooth works well in the Taurus. I can talk more than the 15 minutes Hyundai allows. Anyway we will see what the near future holds for our on going problem that in my opinion will never be fixed.
  • azfordsazfords Member Posts: 2
    Bob, I had the same issue with my RazrM because I was trying to switch it too fast. Try switching it to headset and waiting a few seconds. Then try switching it back. I hope it works for you. This is extremely frustrating.
    I'll try that today but if I have to wait a few seconds I can call the party back just as quick. I guess we have to tell the person your talking to you only have 15 minutes (I do that now) and tell them to hang up and I'll call them back or I'll try that switch over thing........thanks for the update. We will probably solve this issue before Hyundai.....
    edited April 2013
    WOW!! People have been waiting months for this Bluetooth patch/fix from Hyundai?? Maybe they should ask Ford or Toyota or Subaru or GM or .... There engineers seem to be able to deliver a product that works!!! Is this something new? Bluetooth technologhy? Been aroud for awhile.

Other issues with the Hyundai Bluetooth!!

1. Call voulme always starts out EXTREMELY low. Have to turn it up almost to max to be heard. No preset for this. anoying??

2. Steaming music. If you are streaming music and turn off the car. When you turn the car back on it will not connect to the music device (iphone 5). Like when you get gas or something. Short disconnect and then attempt to connect. ALL other bluetooth functions work (or kinda for 15 minutes). Only way to get the music streaming to work again is to disable the bluetooth on the phone and then back on.

I am using an iPhone 5. Pretty popular phone and should be a standard that all auto companies test with.

Thought the bluetooth was to give us hands free!!!! I guess not in a Hyunda.
  • kmanlandenbergkmanlandenberg Member Posts: 3
    2013 Veloster will pair with Phone5 iOS 6.1.3 (10B329), but not hold connection for even one short call or 10 sec of streaming Pandora. If a call is placed immediately after pairing, car controls freeze and call cannot be ended; must use phone to end call, and car still thinks call is active so it will not play music.

After that, they will not connect, although phone says its connected to car, car says its connected to phone, but when you try to use the BT connection to stream music, it says "no playable device exists". When trying to connect to phone from car, car controls will hang and display a message about trying to connect to <> bluetooth device.

Cannot pair my wife's iPhone 4 at all.

Service guy at dealership was able to get his BlackBerry to pair and connect without issue.

From what I've read and experienced, if you have an iPhone and 2013 Hyundai, no Bluetooth for you!
    edited April 2013
    Welcome to the Hyundai club of Bluetooth stuff that doesn't work and there is no quick fix in sight. I leased my 2013 Sonata (love it) 12/21/2012 and they still have no fix for the 15 minute time out with Bluetooth incoming or outgoing calls. I also leased a 2012 Sonata(11/29/2011) that I traded in early to get rid of all the Bluetooth/Blue Link problems that never got repaired. I think I'm ready to break this lease and get back into an American car like the Ford Taurus with the "working" sync system. It will cost me about $30 more per month but I'll be back in an American car. Hyundai was my first experience with foreign cars and they have no after purchase loyalty.
    When I called Hyundai Motors direct they said and I quote "we make cars not Bluetooth systems"........that's pure ignorance if you ask me......anyway welcome aboard the distress train, your in for a long ride with no satisfaction.
  • badapple1215badapple1215 Member Posts: 2
    I Bought my wife a LG Tone Wireless Stereo Headset because i could not keep her Bluetooth Paired but with it on the Bluetooth always works Explain that one IT ALWAYS WORKS
  • badapple1215badapple1215 Member Posts: 2
    I BOUGHT MY WIFE A 2012 SONATA THE BLUE LINK HAS NEVER STAYED PAIRED SO I DECIDED TO BUY HER A LD TONE WIRELESS STERIO HEADSET SO SHE WOULD BE HANDS FREE WOW WITH IT IN THE CAR THE BLUETOOTH WORKS EVERY-TIME CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THAT? BEST $60.00 I'VE EVER SPENT
    After dozens of tests consuming many hours I've determined that my iPhone, which connects OK to my wife's Chevy Cruz, would not connect to my Veloster due to something in the phone. I did many tests where I 1) backed up phone, 2)re-built it to factory settings, 3)paired OK with Veloster 4) restored backup of iPhone then 5) would not pair! I removed all 25 applications and it still fails after restoring the phone backup. Had to basically rebuild phone from scratch. Bottom line: the phone worked in other BT systems, but there was something in it that caused an incompatibility with the Hyundai BT. Pain in the [non-permissible content removed] caused me a lot of aggravation and time, but hopefully someone else with problems can try resetting their iPhone to factory settings and see if it works as a first step to solving their BT problems.
    edited May 2013
    Anyone hear if Hyundai has fixed all the problems they (I guess it is we) are having with bluetooth?

Probably waiting for our warrenties to expire so it can be a chargable item.
    Just called my service department. S;poke with someone new. They never heard of the problem. My hope is dimming if there will be ever a fix. Like the car but this will drive out of ever purchasing a Hyundai again. My sister was in the market for a new car. Told her to get a SUBARU.
  • sugplum13sugplum13 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2013 Sonata for almost a year and I have a Samsung Exhibit. My bluetooth has been working fine until...my son paired his iPhone into it. After that I've been getting a windows type box saying "application btNeoP.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down". My phone stays paired and connected but when I'm trying to make a call I don't hear anything coming through. I unpaired my son's iPhone thinking that would solve it but it hasn't. I tried searching the posts but didn't see this. Has anyone else had this problem? (Car is at the dealer right now.)
    Add your Bluetooth problem to the long list Hyundai is dealing with. My opinion is they will never resolve the issues until the 2014 new car year. Those of us having problems will just have to deal with them on our own. My "time out" issue has been since 12/21/12 and I've never been told anything except they are working on it. When I called the Hyundai Motors office I was told "we make cars not Bluetooth systems" so that will give you an idea of where they stand on the issues. I'll give them until the end of May than I'm starting the lemon law process and see where that gets me. Good luck to all.......
  • lyarnalllyarnall Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issues since I purchased my Certified Pre-owned 2012 Sonata (only had 1800 miles on it) in August of 2012... they have swapped out the radio 3 times now, thinking it was related... it's back at the dealership today, and they just told me that its a known bug with no anticipated time frame for the fix... Which is what has prompted my internet search and finding this forum. I was wondering if an issue with blue tooth is grounds for lemon law or if it has to be something more mechanical. please keep us posted with your progress, I am considering following the same path.
  • buddhakatbuddhakat Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2013 Sonata SE 2.0T 3 days ago. One of the major reasons we went looking for a new car had to do with the new law in our state, (NV), which prohibits using a handheld device while driving. Bluetooth was therefore a requirement on our shopping list. We got the SE edition with the Nav/tech upgrade, including Hyundai Blue Link.

The car we landed on had the push button start with the proximity key. Cool feature to be sure. In order to be able to remotely start the car we were told we had to get the Blue Link option. We were also told we could install an app on our android phones that would give us the ability to easily remotely start the car from our cell phones. Well, we signed on the dotted line and when we were getting setup for Blue Link the app wouldn't install on either of our phones. I get a message saying my phones aren't compatible with the app. Well, I checked the Blue Link website and it lists my phone as being compatible. Unfortunately, my wife's isn't listed. Crap.

So I called Blue Link tech support and was told my phone wasn't compatible. When I told the gal it was on the list, she asked what the OS version was. I told her it was 2.6. She told me the app only works on version 2.2. I asked to speak to someone higher up the ladder. I was told they'll pass the message up to "the guy" and he'll call me back. He didn't. I called first thing this morning and the very nice person at Blue Link started going through the troubleshooting list from the start. I politely told her I'd already been through that and I wanted to talk to "THE GUY" right now. I was put in touch with a Blue Link supervisor named Ray. Nice guy, but he fed me the standard line of crap. My phone wasn't compatible; "It's on the list of compatible phones" I said. The OS version needs to be 2.2; "Your info on Google Play says the OS needs to be V2.3 or above. He's gonna call me back tomorrow.

Here's the thing, yes, Hyundai is a car manufacturer not a Bluetooth manufacturer. BUT, Bluetooth is a service provided by an outside vendor that's incorporated into the very essence of the car they do manufacture. They are one in the same. In fact, the car is proffered as being Bluetooth compatible. Furthermore, since I'm also experiencing these connections problems mentioned here, I believe the car must not be compliant with Bluetooth standards. It is not a Bluetooth standard to drop the connection after 15 minutes. That issue is occurring because of the way the car's operating system/interface is handling things. I use Bluetooth for lots of things in my life and for the most part, it usually works pretty well. The problems I'm having are only between my phone and the new Sonata. Since the phone works fine in my other two Bluetooth capable cars and my Bluetooth headset, I think it's safe to say it's not the phone. That means it's the car. That means it's either Hyundai directly, or a vendor they're using to provide hardware/software/interface. Either way, there is little question in my mind that the RESPONSIBILITY for solving the problem falls squarely on Hyundai's shoulders.

I have a tendency to spread the gospel regarding goods and services I'm pleased with, but I go out of my way to generate as much noise as I possibly can when I've been wronged. Hyundai needs to correct this problem and they need to correct it now. They should be able to provide a date certain as to when a fix is coming down the pike. If their engineers aren't the ones writing the code, they need to put their foot up the butt of whatever vendor is responsible. Just saying "We're working on it" to shut people up, while not actually seriously trying to solve the problem is the ultimate in poor customer service. It says they don't think enough of their customers to even bother telling them the truth.

Get it fixed Hyundai, or I'll cost you a couple of hundred cars in lost sales.
  • buddhakatbuddhakat Member Posts: 2
    Update:
    To my pleasant surprise, I got a call from Ray at 8:15 AM on Friday morning. He said he'd call me back and he did. Props to Ray.

Unfortunately, he also said they're working on "the problem" and they'll get back to me when they get it fixed. He tried not to let on, but I could tell from his voice that he was a little peeved when I told him that Hyundai has been telling people this very same thing, about this very same problem, since 2010.

We're getting new phones in June so I'm not going to spend a lot of time pushing for a fix, but I'll be all up in their grill if the new phones don't work flawlessly. :mad:
    You'll be disappointed. The problem is not the phone..... it the equipment in the car....
    Start the lemon law process if you can.......they have to fix this problem sooner or later and the more people file lemon law the better for us and Hyundai will be made to pay......
  • asmboothasmbooth Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought a Sonata Limited with the premium package last week. I have an iPhone 4S and the phone paired fine with the Bluetooth system. Everything worked fine for the past week, but yesterday the streaming audio function quit working. The phone feature works fine, but when I select "Media" on the dash panel, it says there's no media connected. If I scroll through the audio sources using the button on the steering wheel, there is no "iPhone" source as there has been in the past. I have checked the settings both on my phone and on the car and both say they're paired - as is evidenced in that I can use the phone feature just fine.

I'm just very frustrated that I can't listen to my podcasts or streaming music - any ideas?
    I had similar weirdness with an iPhone 5. If I did a backup/synch in iTunes, then a Settings>General>Reset>Erase all Content and Settings on the phone, bluetooth would work perfectly. If I then restored the phone's contents from the backup, it would not work anymore. I was able to repeat the above but instead of doing a restore, re-install just my apps from iTunes (be sure to include Apps in your iTunes synch) , so it was not that difficult to get the phone back to a familiar look/feel. Something was amiss in the iPhone and the restore kept causing the bluetooth to blow-up.
    I really can't believe that more people are not experiencing this problem. !5 minutes is not a long phone conversation. I just spoke to HYUNDAI and their response it they are still working on a fix with no estimated time frame. In other words to bad sucker!! You bout the wrong car.

DO NOT BUY A SONATA.
    I took my car to the Hyundai dealer to have it washed (free car washes) and before they washed it I talked to the service rep and he told me it was my lucky day because the Bluetooth repair big boy was there and he had a trial software update for the sonata 15 minute timeout issue and asked if I was interested in letting him try it and of course I said yes. After about 10-15 minutes of updating the rep told me the "short" version didn't take and if I had time he would try the longer version and of course I again said yes. Well after about 20 more minutes he came back and said it's all fixed. I made a phone call using the Bluetooth and after 17 minutes I hung up and the system is now working so everyone go to the dealer and tell them you want the trial repair/fix that the factory rep is installing at the Hyundai dealerships.
  • bltoothprobbltoothprob Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to get the "trial repair/fix" you had installed, but my dealer claims to know nothing about it. Can you please give me any information about your dealer's name & location, your service rep's name and, if possible, the factory rep's name and contact info? Thank you so much!
    I live in Delaware and the dealership is Hertrich Hyundai of New Castle, De and the service rep's name is Sean Bigham. The phone number at the dealership is 302-323-1100 and ask for Sean in service. Also the headquarters for Hyundai told me that all dealerships were aware of the problem and they were working on it. I happened to be at the dealership when the factory rep was there and they offered to try the software update and the longer version worked for my car. You can call the factory at 1-800-633-5151 and tell them the issue your having with the service department. Good luck and keep me posted.......thanks.....Bob.....PS I got the downloaded software update on 5/20/2013........
    I got a patch put on mine on Monday 6/10. Haven't tested the time out issue yet. Will post after I do.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Hi - I don't have a Sonata, so I can't verify this solution, but it was sent to me by email, so I thought it worthy to share:

How to pair your iPhone 5 with a 2011 Sonata, transfer your contacts, and get voice recognition working ...

Start car, put in park. Push the setup button on the radio panel, scroll to BT (Bluetooth), push knob-in to select. Then you get a BT pairing password (4 digit)on the display. Now, go to your iPhone 5 and tap settings, go to Bluetooth, Sonata should come up under the heading ''Devices"- touch Sonata to select - and a keyboard will be displayed. Enter your BT 4-digit pairing code. Now your car & iPhone 5 should be completely paired. Go to your contact app on your phone and click groups - check only ONE group and that contact list should automatically transfer to the car. (If not, try turning the car off and then back on.) After Bluetooth connects you should see (In the settings Bluetooth display) "Transfer Complete." Now, you should be able to make a call by pressing the Command button on the steering wheel and the voice-recognition will ask if you want to call by number or name. The call will go through when you say, 'Yes"... (Or whatever the voice says follow directions - it will recognize your voice.)

The person who sent it to me has tried it twice with success. YMMV :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Don't have a problem pairing my phone to my Bluetooth system on my Sonata. The problem is with the 15 minute timeout that the factory rep finally downloaded the software to correct the issue and no problems since.......love my car and now it's back to perfect......thanks Hyundai.......
    Got my patch. Not sure if it was BETA or not. 15 minute problem is fixed. When I stream music on the initial connection the music kinda gets broken up. Must be my contracts downloading. This never happened before.

Volume is always low until you turn it up (almost all the way to hear). That has not been fixed. Should retain last setting since there isn't a way to preset it. That is my only gripe.
    Haven't had any issues with volume. The only issue was the 15 minute timeout and that has been taken care of with the software patch. Keep the service department you go to informed about the issue you have and they will eventually repair it as long as they can duplicate the problem......good luck.
    Everyone else has. Took 6 months to get the timeout fixed. Maybe in 2015 they will have all the bugs worked out.
  • sonatadriver1sonatadriver1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me how to mute a phone call using Bluetooth technology on the 2013 Sonata Limited? This is the second Sonata I've owned and the 2011 Sonata had a mute button but the 2013 Sonata Limited does not. There is nothing about it in the Owner's Manual. Any guidance would be much appreciated.