Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Soft Pedal Feel in 2010 Camry LE

protohamsterprotohamster Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Hi my family previously owned Honda Accords and were very comfortable with their driving and handling characteristics. An Accord isn't the flashiest of cars but the "pedal feel" of the accelerator is usually very "hard" that is it feels like there is alot of resistance when pushing down on the pedal and even low pressure on the pedal the car immediately responds. We recently bought a new 2010 Camry LE I4 Auto and the "pedal feel" is noticeably much "softer" with very little resistance and you can press the pedal about 1-3 cm down before the car accelerates. I am wondering if this is just how Camry's drive, they drive almost like Chevy or Ford Sedans, or if this is because our pedal was fixed via the shim. If its because of the fix should I just ask for a new CTS pedal replacement?

Comments

• Options
    adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2008 4 cylinder LE and I notice the same thing. It is more prevalent since they did the recall. I find that this makes for a harsh jolt when first taking off from a stop. A way to avoid the jolt, is to let the car roll off the start and then lightly apply the accelerator. I wonder if full pedal replacement will fix this as well??
  • Options
    oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    I got the shim "fix" (2009 LE) the other day and noticed no difference whatsoever. I suspect a lot depends on the shim size used and the technician who did the work.

Toyota has announced that anyone not satisified with the feel of the pedal, after the fix, is entitled to a brand new pedal replacement free of charge. Just take it back to the dealer and complain. It's hardly likely that you will get any "pushback" from the dealer either since in the announcement Toyota states that dealers should not try to solicit this activity.....Conflicting interests.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited March 2010
    SHIM = PR

Nothing but.

Magician's trick, look HERE, not over "there"(***) where the real action is.

*** Firmware FLAW, "bug".
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SHIM = PR

Probably. The brake override firmware upgrade that comes with the floor mat recall is the most important "fix" IMO. So far so good.

*** Firmware FLAW, "bug".

The only certainty there is uncertainty.
  • Options
    dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    My 2010 XLE has the same accelerator pedal feel. If I don't baby it starting off, it jolts forward. It's pretty annoying. Does anyone know if this is how it's "supposed" to be? It's had the same feel before and after they put in the shim - which I agree with others that probably has nothing to do with the UA problems.
  • Options
    My 2010 XLE has the same accelerator pedal feel. If I don't baby it starting off, it jolts forward. It's pretty annoying. Does anyone know if this is how it's "supposed" to be?

My 2009 felt the same way compared to the '97 Camry I traded in. Adjusted to it in a few weeks. No biggie. I think Toyota really skimped on the quality of those pedals in addition to quite a few other areas.

I see Toyota sales soared in March, that's one big "juggernaut" of a company.
  • Options
    00820082 Member Posts: 16
    Yes, the firmware change added brake-override which is the answer to all the problems. I heard NHTSA has asked NASA to help Toyota to trace the "bug". Any news?

If we don't fix the pedal, Should we be concerned since Toyota/NHTSA has confirmed there is potential sticky pedal issue due to condensation?

thanks
  • Options
    I got the new pedal installed. No difference in the pedal feel. It still jolts sometimes even when you baby it at the start. I have to be really careful when I'm parallel parked in between cars. I almost hit the car ahead of me a few weeks ago when I was pulling out. I'm no lead foot either.
    I would hesitate to ever lend the car to someone for this reason. It really irritates me. Toyota dealer technician said "I can't feel anything strange" when I took it in to have it looked at. I shouldn't have bothered taking it in.
  • Options
    00820082 Member Posts: 16
    new pedal or the shim fix? Was it bad to begin with?
  • Options
    It has been this way since I bought it in November 2009.
    Bad from the start, bad after the shim and bad with the new gas pedal.

I was backing out of a parking space that was slightly downhill the other day the other night. I tried to baby it but the car wouldn't move. I depressed the pedal with the same force that I would have with my 1992 Camry and I lurched back anway. Maybe I'll take the technician (who said he didn't notice anything when we rode together) with me to that parking lot and let him try to back it out without lurching. :mad:
  • Options
    petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I experience the same "jolt" or "lurch" only if I put the shifter in drive immediately after starting the engine on my 2010 le..It is especially noticeable if the engine is cold and the engine rpms are slightly higher than normal, (normal when the engine is cold)..usually if I wait 10-15 sec after starting, the engine rpms drop and there is no longer a jolt when engaging the shifter to drive..
  • Options
    adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    petras2, that is not what we are talking about. yes the Engine RPMs are higher when the engine is cold, we are talking about the response from the gas pedal when it is depressed. Instead of smooth gradual acceleration, there is no response to a certain point and then we get a lurch when it finally engages.
This discussion has been closed.