Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Who is going to fix it?

2»

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited July 2013
    I'd put correct looking wheels and tires on it, it's not 1978 anymore. Otherwise, sounds cool, but it would need to be really nice.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I had a friend that sold a 55 Sedan last year that was much as you described the Nomad. He got $43K for it.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, at that price it would have to be a pretty nice retro-rod----not necessarily trophy-winning show quality, but certainly without any obvious needs, and all the workmanship would have to be top notch. (quality components, no mickey-mouse attachments or jury-rigs, etc).

The most important thing with retro-rods is to DRIVE them before you buy--some of these rods look great but drive like crap because they were not well thought out; for instance, some are built with absurdly stiff suspensions and bushings, and the ride is brutal; others drive well but the noise and heat level is unacceptable; some look great but rattle like a washing machine because none of the window-work was done; some are over-cammed and are ornery in traffic.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I realize that most people think the "upgrades" that have been done are a big plus.

Personally, I wish it still had the 265 with power pack and the Powerglide it came with but that's me.

I think all of the changes are reversible if someone wanted to go that way. I wouldn't remove the dual master cylinder for safety reasons.

This car is a knockout when it comes to looks and although I haven't driven it, it seems to run well. The owner took it on a long road trip last summer.

I have to admit, I think the Crager chrome wheels are dated but they do give it a good look. I believe the owner still has the original wheels and hubcaps.

It even has power windows and seat! Very rare options for that year.

It did have a Wonderbar radio before it was pulled out and sold for big money. He didn't cut the dash but it has a modern CD unit in it now. A good thing, I suppose.

Still thinking.....
    Is this a FI engine? Does it have AC? With wheels and caps, and if the cosmetics really are wonderful, it might not be a bad deal. Couldn't purchase one with needs and fix it up like that for the same money.

Shame about the radio, I'd find one to put back in. I think there are modern units that kind of look old for American cars of that era, too.
    AC and FI would be almost mandatory at that price.
    No A/C and no Fuel injection.

A couple of years ago he told a funny story. he was somewhere in (I think) So. Dakota on a two lane highway stuck between a slow moving line of traffic.

He couldn't see what was holding things up so when he had a chance, he jumped on it and passed three cars. In front was guy dressed in white, riding what he thought was a Honda 90.

As he passed the Honda at 100 MPH, his fan somehow connected with the radiator!

As he pulled over, he looked back and the guy on the Honda was no longer dressed in white. He had turned green from the coolant!

The radio already has been replaced with a modern unit. No damage to the ash was done.
    Still, I see ones in Hemmings or 65,000 that aren't as nice.

But...anyone can ask anything
    $65K would be knock-out, drop dead, gorgeous show car with every imaginable goody on it. No AC is a big discount on a retro-rod. The lack of FI is okay, but suggests a lower level of build. Carburetors are stupid, fuel injection is smart.
    No AC isn't a killer in Seattle - you won't need it often, but I anyway would want FI. However, these might make good negotiating points, deduct 10-15%?
    yeah, more like 15%--that's about what it would take to install it.

AC might mean little to you but it may mean a lot to the next buyer.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Are the power windows and seat factory original, I wonder, or were they added on later? I'd imagine that both would be EXTREMELY rare on a low level car in 1955 like a Chevy. In fact, I don't think Plymouth even offered a power seat until 1957! However, in those days Plymouths were paired up in dealerships with Dodges, DeSotos, and Chryslers, so they tended to keep Plymouths a bit cheap on purpose, I think, to encourage you to move up to a pricier brand. Chevrolet didn't suffer from that handicap. Even though GM would rather you move up and buy something more expensive, at least the Chevy dealers were usually stand-alone.
    I don't care so much about the lack of A/C and the carburetor doesn't bother me much either. He says it gets around 12-14 MPG.

Fintail, on Sunday August 18th at the Triple XXX drive in in Issaquah they are having their 14th annual 55-57 Chevy show. It'll probably be there if you want to see it.

The owner is pretty casual about selling it. Won't put a For Sale sign on it etc.

I know if I waved 40K under his nose I'ld own it.
    Yes, those options were pretty rare but so were Nomads.

A/C was first available on Chevys in 1955 but it was something like 450.00.

On a 2800.00 car, that was a LOT of money. Power Windows and seats were considered by many to be totally unnecessary and "one more thing to break"

People were more conservative in those days.

Most people saved their money (gasp) and paid cash. If the financed it was for 24 months.
    I think power seats were kind of a premium item maybe even up into the 80s or later. Thinking back to the cars I remember, I remember the Tempo in our family had a power drivers seat - but the Ciera didn't have any. I don't think the S-10 Blazer had them, my uncles early basic Taurus L didn't have them, but my mom's GL did. The old T-Bird had them of course, but I bet they were standard. I think even in some modern cars, you'll only get one power seat.

Easier to save and pay cash then no doubt, when the relationship between wages and prices of cars, housing, education, healthcare, etc was a lot different than now.

I'll be out of town or just returning on the 18th, but there's another show a week before, the local MBCA event, held up in Mountlake Terrace. I'll be around for that.