Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Honda Civic

windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet
Ok, so lately I've been reading articles and comments regarding the new Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze and touting their acclaimed 40 mpg on the highway and how that is going to be the best in class. I haven't seen ANYTHING regarding the next gen Honda Civic due out around the same time, which currently holds the best in class MPG (as far as I know...). Is this just something that we are just going to have to wait for? I would suspect that such a classic in this segment would get more "air time," so to speak. I drove my mom's 06 Honda civic for a year and averaged about 34 mpg around town and easily got 40 mpg on the highway.

All I can say is I hope the next gen Civic gets a hatch over here in the US.

Also, can anyone explain to me the sudden change between the 07 and 08 Honda Civic mpg? 30-40 down to 25-36?

Comments

• Options
    phantom71phantom71 Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,
    Can anyone tell me if the 2011 Honda Civic Sedan will be a completely new design or it will stay the same as 2010 model? and when will 2011 coming?
    I have called a few Honda dealers and North American Honda but none of them can give me a straight answer.
    Any tips or links will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Look to the right. It appears Edmunds at least thinks the 2011 Civic will be a new design. And it would fit Honda's typical product cycle of a redesign every five years.

You won't hear anything official from Honda until pretty close to the product launch date. They like to keep things close to the vest... maybe to avoid exactly what you are trying to do, put off purchase of a Civic until the new design comes out. ;)
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Also, can anyone explain to me the sudden change between the 07 and 08 Honda Civic mpg? 30-40 down to 25-36?

The EPA used new testing procedures on all vehicles starting with 2008 models.

Nothing changed mechanically, but numbers dropped for all vehicles, from Hummer to Prius.
  • Options
    cz_75cz_75 Member Posts: 7
    And you won't be seeing anything about a next gen Civic for at least one more year, as the 2011 is going to be pretty much the same as 2010, except for color choices and not much else.
  • Options
    06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

The timing certainly seems to point at the next generation coming out for the 2011 model year, but maybe not. I'm excited to see what Honda comes up with for the next generation, considering the Civic is a consistent contender in it's particular market. Hopefully it'll be able to handle the new Focus, which sounds like it's going to be a serious contender in this compact care segment.
  • Options
    I was noticing that. So does that mean the 07 estimates are incorrect compared to the 08 ones? As mentioned, I did manage to achieve the 06 estimates in my 06 Honda Civic, so they didn't seem too far off but the difference between 07 and 08 is pretty dramatic.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I wouldn't say "incorrect" as much as the 2008---> on... vehicles now have estimates that more accurately reflect the actual numbers consumers are able to get. Yeah, I know you already were able to achieve the earlier numbers on your 06 Civic but as usual "fuel economy depends on driving conditions, driving style, and vehicle condition. A 2008-2009-2010 Civic will still be able to get those earlier numbers (30 city/40 highway mpg) with you driving in the same manner you did then.. Think of it as a refinement of the EPA tests that prompted changes in the estimates.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The testing procedure changed to be more "real world" -- more stop and go in the city, higher speeds on the highway. If you're a relatively gentle driver (sounds like you are) then the old procedures are likely to more accurate for you. Neither are "wrong" but rather they're "different."
  • Options
    movemuchmovemuch Member Posts: 1
    I check the Honda UK site for potential US future models. UK was selling the accord crosstour a couple years before it was released here. They have a cute 3 & 5 door civic now- hope it's what is coming for 2011. So much better looking than our civic.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/

Should be the correct site address.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your help, I am still waiting for the 2011 model release and hoping that Honda will bring out their new design on the Civic sedan. It will be a sad if the 2011 remain the same as 2010, that will put the Civic in its 6th year cycle.
  • Options
    steve_rbtssteve_rbts Member Posts: 17
    Is it time for Honda to add ESC to all of the Civic models?
    Do you think it may happen with the 2011 models or do you think
    they will wait until 2012 when it becomes mandatory?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If the 2011 model is a new design, I expect they'll have standard ESC.

If it's a holdover, then I think Honda will wait for 2012.
  • Options
    thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    Looking at a 2010 Civic EX-L w/Navi. I had a 08 Accord EX-L w/Navi, traded in for a 2010 Pilot. Looking to move back to a Accord or Sedan. Anyone traded a Accord to a Civic? If so what do you think? Good move or not?
  • Options
    jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    I had an 09 Civic EXL, it is a lovely car, few things to keep in consideration,
    Accord is going to be more stable as compared to Civic,
    Civic is more noisy.
    I sold the Civic because of the Airconditioning system, It is not powerfull at all and You will definitely gonna miss the Accord AC. It trips a lot, and the car gets very heavy when it kicks in.
    I am also looking for either a new Accord or may be even a Maxima.
    Thankyou
  • Options
    irgirg Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2010
    I dunno, now (under New cars section) it shows the Civic as a new design for 2012. So I think 2011 may be a carryover. I too, wish they would make ESC standard on all models, fairly inexcusable that they don't already. I would think it would make production easier too. But what do I know.

Link here: http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2012/index.html#search=open.eq..amp.p.eq.cveh- icledata%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Enf12%7C%7C486f6e6461
  • Options
  • Options
    robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    I agree about the Civic noise factor. We added a noise layer called Fat Mat www.fatmat.com to the rear under-seat floors and all the doors which made a dramatic difference in our 2009 Civic EXL with Navi. We came out of a 2007 Accord EXL which really was not much quieter. Honda could to a much better job at the factory.

Our A/C has performed quite well here in the Midwest and we regularly get 35 to 41 mpg on mostly highway driving cruising at 65 mph.
    PS. We would have tried another Accord but could not get over what they removed from the 2008 + models such as LED tail lights, etc. the Civic is a decent car.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, I think the 06 Model Accord is a very classy looking car. The LED lights were awesome! The Accord is much too old looking for its own good. Pray the Civic stays young!
  • Options
    robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Honda is alienating their customer base by removing great safety features like LED tail lights which actually do come on much quicker than the regular lights on the 2008 +. They need at least a 6 to 7 speed auto trans instead of the god awful VCM.
    We gave up on the Accord after 4 of them.
  • Options
    antrekantrek Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    antrekantrek Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

My 2011 Honda Civic LX Sdn has very loose/imprecise steering - I can turn the steering wheel several inches left or right before the car barely changes direction. It feels like a cheap rental car, if you know what I mean. I went to my local Honda dealer, and they told me that the car was fine. They even gave me to try a new 2011 Civic Coupe that had the same soft/muffled feeling to its streering.

I insisted on making the steering tighter (I read about a 40mm power steering adjustment nut somewhere), and the only thing this operation did was to make it harder to move the wheel left/right, but did nothing to improve the responsiveness of the car to the steering wheel's motion. The mechanic told me that I wanted to have a race car's steering precision, and that Honda Civic is not that kind of car.

I leased my Civic a month ago because I read reviews of its nice handling, and because I really liked the precise feeling of a 2008 Civic I drove for a day last summer, and a test drive I did a couple years ago (got another car then). I admit I did not test drive the car I ended up leasing.

So who is right? Should my Honda Civic have precise and relatively firm feel to it's steering, or is the mechanic right and all Honda Civics are not responsive to small movements of the steering wheel?

And if I am right and my Civic should handle better than that, what should I do? The dealer I visited has the highest online rating in my area, so I don't think visiting another dealer and paying another $100 would help.

Thanks,
    A.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I have a 2006 and it drives perfectly. Do yourself a favor & get a 2008 model so you'll be happy. End of story!! You will never be happy and you have a perceived issue with your car which might not be there. Trade it dude...only way you'll be truly happy!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

This discussion has been closed.