Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• warren_sealewarren_seale Member Posts: 8
    I've had it done out of warranty. Just follow the rules and procedures and the dealer will fix it without charge. It is important to be sure GM is involved since they are the ones that will pay the dealer.

Warren
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    A2t,

I understand your point of view; however, not all customers experience the same exact symptoms and may also be experiencing other concerns as well. When I ask for a VIN the customer typically emails to me which can make it hard to connect the email with the user name from Edmunds. I ask for a description so while I am looking into the VIN I have the customer’s current concerns as well as symptoms right in front of me to evaluate the situation. This helps me decide on the proper steps and the course of action to take. I understand you have already spoken with Christina regarding your concerns. Not all cases, situations and circumstances are the same. I apologize for any frustrations you may have and have a wonderful week.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • brad2fordbrad2ford Member Posts: 3
    I tried sending an email to your gm.com address but received a "refused by GM Blackhole list " failure notice.
    davs2601,

Christina and I would be happy to assist in setting up a case for you. In order to start the process we will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    brad2ford,

Did you send the email to socialmedia@gm.com?

• brad2fordbrad2ford Member Posts: 3
    Caron:

Yes I used the socialmedia@gm.com address. I just resent and I'll see if I get the same failure notice. It's being sent from a yahoo account.

Thanks

Brad
    Brad,

I wanted to let you know that I did receive your email and I will be in touch shortly.

Thank you,
  • jmm2420jmm2420 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ love it but hate little things that break. I have to take it in again for another door handle. This will be the second one that I need to replace and it feels like another will be breaking shortly. My bow tie on the front is no longer gold in color buy now black has leaked water in it since I got the Tahoe. There is 42,000 miles and I understand that things will go wrong but I feel that door handles and other part should not go bad and if they do Chevy should just replace and fix. Hope something can be done.
    jmm2420,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • celiececeliece Member Posts: 1
    We have had similar problems with our Tahoe. We had the back passenger actuator go out in our car a year ago. Luckily our car was still under warranty so we got that fixed. The other three actuators started going out when we were barely out of warranty. Its so frustrating AND so expensive to fix! I will be emailing with our VIN and look forward for some help in this issue!
    celiece,
    I look forward to your email. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 01rc5101rc51 Member Posts: 1
    Well with only 27k miles and me to the list of broken font door locks. if they know its a problem why do they not fix it. Can anyone help us get this fixed.
  • ca1955belairca1955belair Member Posts: 1
    I would like to be contacted, I believe my warranty just ran out with only 24k on the odometer and the actuator went out today. I have already had 2 replaced under warranty. Thanks.
    ca1955belair,
    Can you please email me your VIN? I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • missmissmissmiss Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same problem with the lock system on the 2008 Chevy Tahoe. I have approximately 53,000 miles on it, which is of course out of warranty. I just got a call from the service department at the dealership with the price to fix it. It is ridiculous! I have only had this truck 3 years and already I will have to spent over $1200 in two months. The only explanation the service representative could give me, was I just had bad luck with this one. I have owned, an Ford Expedition and Jeep Liberty. By far this is the most worrisome vehicle I have owned. I am a responsible owner who meets maintence recommendations and service faithfully.
  • 1madwoman1madwoman Member Posts: 1
    Same problem as every one else having. 2008 ltz Tahoe...I'm the second owner. On the carfax the previous owner had to have the hanlde replaced. I just bought the Tahoe last week...now the door lock doesn't work on the driver side. 74,000 miles on it. I mean come on. I traded my 40th edition mustang 5 speed for a vehicle that having issues
  • jlgrahamjlgraham Member Posts: 4
    Having the same door locks issue...Had the left rear actuator replaced under warranty at 45k miles...Front Passenger door went out at 51k miles and not under warranty ($250 repair). Found this site and clearly this is a problem with the component. You would hope that GM would recognize and do something.
  • flotronflotron Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2008 Yukon with 18,xxx miles on it. Within the past week both rear door locks are not working and it seems like the front is going to go out as well. I took it to a GMC dealer and they told me that they have seen a lot of these problems but since it's 2 months out of warranty it is fully my responsibility. My fault for giving GM a chance.
    jlgraham,

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • jlgrahamjlgraham Member Posts: 4
    Caron,
    Sending via email now. Thanks...jlgraham
  • richurbsrichurbs Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 Tahoe my issue is that sometimes the power locks dont unlock the door. Then after a few time locking and unlocking with key farbs they open but interior light does't go on.
    1madwoman,

Could you please email me the VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    flotron,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing.

Thank you,
    richurbs,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to be looked at? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    missmiss,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • hardesty1hardesty1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe that has door lock problems too. It is just out of warranty and the only door that automatically unlocks now is the drivers door. I have several other Chevy trucks that all work fine, but the problem is with my newest one. This is a spendy repair and its not just one door its 3 out of 4! This is really a pain on a vehicle that costs so much. Are there any recalls or any type of assistance from Chevy?
  • richurbsrichurbs Member Posts: 2
    My issue was repaired just today it was a shorted out body control module.
    check your settings on the info center.
  • jappel1jappel1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anything been done to date about the door lock issues evryone is having. I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid with three bad locks. One works part time, one doesn't work at all and the third is still deciding what it's going to do next! All three went out in the same week. Any word whether GM is going to recognize this problem and offer assistance?
    Joe
    hardesty1,
    I apologize for your concerns. Can you please email me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    jappel1,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Please feel free to send me your information and I will look into your situation as well. Have a great weekend and I look forward to working with you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pilot137pilot137 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Suburban Z71 (65k miles so out of warranty) and the door lock actuators are starting to go. The right passenger door lock will not work at all but I can hear it trying.

There must have been a bad batch of actuators purchased by GM.

Can I get any help with this.

Frustrated
  • cy1515cy1515 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid last Sept. and recently the front door locks stop working with the key fob and door panel switch. Has there been a recall for this? I've noticed there are quite a few posts regarding this.
  • dmntddmntd Member Posts: 20
    For some odd reason my lift gate and rear window will no longer unlock. I hit the master switch or remote and can hear the lack clicking but does not unlock. There is no key hole in the back to manually unlock the window or the lift gate and there is no way to unlock either from the inside. I have the 3rd row seating and this is now a safety issue to me cause my kids sit back there. Is there anything on a recall about this issue? I know the actuator is good and works fine and I am now hearing others having the same issue as well but some of them has their's stuck in the unlock position. Any advice to get this problem fixed would be great.
    dmntd,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? I will look into recall information for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    cy1515,
    If you email me your VIN I would be happy to look into recall information. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • navestnavest Member Posts: 1
    Seems like I'm having the same issue most other Tahoe owners eventually have. One of my door locks stopped working in the final few months of the warranty -- dealer knew immediately what i was talking about and fixed it under warranty. I thought it was an isolated incident but now, with the car a few months past the warranty period, another door lock has stopped working. Has anyone had any luck getting GM to cover this despite the warranty being expired? Seems like a pretty common defect for GM that they should fix.
    thanks.
  • grinch5grinch5 Member Posts: 1
    I cannot believe all I am reading here about GMC door lock issues. This is not the only site and forum going on regarding this issue. And with the whole issue being totally a safety concern GMC needs to step up to the plate and take ownership of this. $300.00 a door to fix and how long do they think these new ones are going to last, another 30,000 or 40,000 kms and they nail you again. I bought my Yukon used and 30 days out of the used vehicle warranty a door lock starts acting up. I went back to the dealer and I was quoted $300.00 to repair. I of course complained but they refused to do anything about this. I put a call into the salesman when I went back to my office and explained the new quote he just gave me for new service vans was being cancelled due to the lack of gm concern over door locks and safety issues. I received a call from the dealer service mgr and they offered to repair the door due to safety concerns, my door was fixed no charge. Now 2 more doors are going and it is now 8 months out of gmc used car warranty. This is clearly a recall issue and it will be interesting to see how are new rescued GMC Corp handles this situation.
    navest,

I apologize for the problems you are have experienced with the door locks. Could you please email us your VIN and current mileage? We would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    grinch5,

Could you please email us your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • palm1palm1 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem that I have read so many times. Drivers door and drivers rear door locks don't work with remote or door switch. I bought the car new in July 2008 and I have had this problem for over a year and have not been able to give up the car to have it fixed. I called GM today only to be told that the warranty expired June 30th 2011. This is happening to way too many people and I do not understand why GM does not honor these repairs under a recall as it definitely poses safety issues especially to those with small children. It is very obvious that they used inferior parts and they should do something about it. I am glad that GM is trying to rebuilt its image and tyring to get people to buy American again but issues like this will not help their case.
    palm1,

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your vehicle. Since you have spoken with GM Customer Assistance, could you please email us your case number? We would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • cjjgmc1cjjgmc1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem. Took car to dealer today. No longer under warranty. This is a safety issue and GM is doing nothing but making a fortune off of customer repairs for their faulty parts!!! Obviously a HUGE problem. Does it take people being injured and lawsuits before GM looks at a recall for this problem? Completely absurd and extremely poor customer service. I will think twice before I recommend GM to anyone!
  • mikehoustonmikehouston Member Posts: 3
    It looks like I am having a similar problem to many others...When I try and lock or unlock the doors with the keyfob, not all of the doors lock or unlock. It's inconsistent but it's happening on a regular basis in recent weeks, especially with the front passenger door as well as both rear doors. Any suggestions?
    cjjgmc1,

Could you please email us your VIN and current mileage? We would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • dbrock34dbrock34 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased an 08 Tahoe about two months ago. Shortly after the purchase we noticed passenger side front door lock didn't work. Took it to the dealer who charged $40 to tell us it was the actuator and said it would be another $200 to replace it. Service manager said they keep plenty of them in stock because it's a common failure. We said we'd think about it and have it replaced at a later time. Is there any way to get this replaced at no cost since they are obviously bad parts from the factory?
  • mikehoustonmikehouston Member Posts: 3
    I just spoke with one of the local dealers here and they said this is a known problem and they are hoping their will be a recall issued but they don't anticipate it happening anytime soon. Without actually looking at my vehicle he estimated that I am looking somewhere in the $1000 range between parts and labor.

I've owned a lot of Chevy trucks over the years (I put >150,000 miles on the last one) and have never had to do much more than routine maintenance. Too say I am unhappy is an understatement...
    dbrock34,

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • purvis13purvis13 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ and noticed that the rear door locks are not working from either the key fob or the console. And based on all these complaints on this thread, why is there not a recall on this?!? This is a huge concern for me because:

1. I have 2 children (2 yrs and 7 months) and need to be able to get them in and out of the car safely and make sure the 2 year old cannot open the door from the inside while we are driving (they both are in car seats). And how hard is it going to be to manually unlock and lock the doors from the inside while I have both kids in their car seats?!
    2. If I have the back doors unlocked and then I park the car and forget to manually lock the back doors, some [non-permissible content removed] can get into the car and steal it by just opening the door! No need to break the window.

I think this is a major issue that should be resolved by a recall.

So I am guessing that I am screwed and have to go to a dealership and pay them even more money to get these fixed?
    purvis13,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email us your VIN and current mileage? We would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • jg295jg295 Member Posts: 2
    We own an 08 Suburban with over 40k miles. We love it, but it just started to have the door lock problems described in this forum. We thought we made the right decision when we bought the Chevy instead of the Toyota. Now I'm second guessing this decision. Is this problem subject to a recall for bad parts. Will GM repair at no cost since they are obviously bad parts from GM?