Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• garyb8garyb8 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2008 Tahoe to the dealership because the doors on the passenger's side would not open automatically. The service dept told me that not only were the two actuators on the passenger side defective but the two on the driver's side were also bad. Recommended replacing all 4 for around $800. Where can I find replacement actuators for rhe defective GM parts? I own 4 GM vehicles, one is a 2011 Z71. Had I known that the newer models had defective parts, I probably would have done some more shopping.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning garyb8,
    Thank you for your support of GM - I hope that the Z71 has been a great vehicle for you!

We would like to look into your door lock situation, if you're willing. Please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

My coworker Christina, who responds to incoming emails from the forum, will advise you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ndhousemoverndhousemover Member Posts: 17
    garyb8

Good luck. If they take care of you like everyone else your going to spend the $800 and have NO assurances that they won't go out again. Of course they'll string you along for 3 months or more before they give you the middle finger.
  • btimes2btimes2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to GM for surfing these posts and responding to my door lock issue. They set Up a case # and I took it into the dealer today for repair. That was the right thing to do and to me it makes a huge difference because it represents good service. The reality is I would have never buy another GM product simply for this issue. Next time I'm in the market I will consider GM.">link title
  • cflores1cflores1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have an 08 Suburban with door problems. At first it was just the driver's door that stopped unlocking but today as I was going down a hill a passenger door opened and my son was right there (in his car seat). We both were very scared! I just came to the forums to see if anyone was having any door lock problems and I see I am not alone.
  • pac12pac12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Tahoe, for the past couple of years the alarm will go off for no reason. Sometimes while driving the doors will unlock and lock over and over. Other times the rear doors and rear hatch will not unlock or open at all. The issues described are happening more often. I have a friend who has a Tahoe and hers is doing some of the same things.

I see many others here are having the same issues and GM doesn't seem to care :mad: . Has anyone mentioned or talked about a class action law suit?
    This is so great to hear, btimes2! Thank you for posting, and we're happy to have been able to assist you and improve your experience with GM.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    :D
    Good morning cflores1,

I'm glad to hear that nobody was hurt in the incident you described. If you haven't done so already, we'd love to look into this with you. Please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forum, will assist you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jx60jx60 Member Posts: 1
    I have the SAME problem as everyone on this thread. Front drivers side door no longer locks or unlocks electronically. It is unfathomable to think that GM has had this kind of re-occuring problem and done NOTHING about it. When you buy cheap you get cheap but when you pay over $50K for a new vehicle, you expect something more.
    I understand how this is a very frustrating situation. If you haven't done so already, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forum, will assist you from there.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    gmcustsvcsarah,

I am still WAITING with baited breath to hear from Christina or anyone from GM about my case. Hopefully she can come up with something good. Maybe some I heart GM mudflaps or a nice set of valve stem caps. The anticipation is overwhelming! Still waiting for your answer about why GM hasn't recalled these actuators too.
  • gerlinangerlinan Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same issues with both the rear door locks on my 2008 Tahoe. At first it started periodically not unlocking, then within the last 3 weeks is doesn't unlock EVER. Of course it is on the side of the car where we have the cat seat so every single time I want to take the child in and out of the car seat I have reach through the front passenger door to unlock the back door. As stated in an earlier thread, I would expect this from a less expensive car, but I bought this Tahoe new for $50,000+. Unacceptable GM!
    I understand why you feel this way about your Tahoe, gerlinan. If you haven't done so already, please send us an email to the address in my profile that includes your name/Edmunds username, address and phone, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from Edmunds, will advise you further.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mguillorymguillory Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same issues as a lot of other people. About 2 weeks ago I started having problems with the driver's side front door of my tahoe. I don't drive it very often so I didn't think much of it at the time. Thought that it may be low battery in the remote. It has since basically quit working altogether. The other doors still function but the driver's door has stopped completely now. I am new to this site and not quite sure of where to find gmcustsvcsarah's email any help would be appreciated.
    Good luck. I've been dealing with gmcustcsarah since Dec 7th. Still no solution. Every once in awhile someone gets some help. I'm sure GM does this to appease the masses. Either that or it's just GM posing as a satisfied customer. Good luck to you! maybe my persistance and aggravation to gmcustcsarah will help out the rest of you. If not, join the club of unsasitfied GM owners! Notice how they never answer why GM doesn't want to recall these actuators. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,075
    I am new to this site and not quite sure of where to find gmcustsvcsarah's email any help would be appreciated.

Click on her membername, and all will be revealed..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• always82ndalways82nd Member Posts: 3
    I have 2008 Tahoe that I bought new. This is the second time that I've had door lock problems with the same truck. The first time the dealer replaced both front door locks. In the process, they somehow installed the drivers side incorrectly so that when I rolled down the window the door would unlock and open. They fixed that, of course. That was when I had about 15K miles on it. Now that I'm out of warranty, all four door locks have failed. My wife and I have a 16 month old in a car seat and it's a real pain to get him out. The only way into the truck is to use the key, and considering that there's only a key slot on the drivers door, the whole process of loading our family is rediculously painful. I have owned GM products for as long as I can remember. Including my 2010 Camaro, I've had an 04 Tahoe, 04 Avalanche and many others. Unfortunately, I think I'll be trading everything in for anything but Chevy unless they start to put customers first...again. I hear Ford makes a nice muscle car.
  • mguillorymguillory Member Posts: 2
    Her email is marked as private. When you click on member name it still doesn't reveal her email.
    Good morning,
    I'm not sure why it isn't displaying -- I have my account set to show it publicly. No matter. Send an email to sarah_grace@gmexpert.com or socialmedia@gm.com and we'd be happy to help you!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience of having door lock difficulties! If you haven't done so already, please be sure to email us at socialmedia@gm.com so that we can open up a Service Request for you (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah, thanks for the response. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, so gathering that info takes a couple of days. When I get it, I will certainly post it to socialmedia.
    always82nd,
    I hadn't realized you were overseas. Thank you - truly, thank you - for your service to our country. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 08tahoehybri08tahoehybri Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sarah, I have an 08 tahoe hybrid and the door lock actuaters on 3 of the 5 doors are broken, i imagine the others are not far behind either. I have chatted online with gm reps. on gm's website and they have done nothing but say contact your dealer. the dealer will do nothing to stand behind there product. A 4 year old vehicle should not have this problem already! Please help!
    I saw your email come through, 08tahoehybri. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails, will be back with you soon.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • srtahoeownersrtahoeowner Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Just like the thousands of others, I also have the same problem on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe, I have spoken to my dealer who gave me a the cost to replace my actuators. My question: why replace the actuators with the same actuators which has failed over and over again?? Working very closely to the auto industry, a corrective action must have been done on this item which would have corrected the primary source of the problem and a new design should have been produced. Can you find out if a new (more robust) design is available for purchase? Can the automatic locks be disable so the locks don't cycle every time the truck shifts in or out of gear? Please supply any documents or reports that I can give to the dealer to help identify any corrective actions that may have been developed by GM engineers. It appears that the GM dealers either have not been informed or do not want to provide information or services because GM does not adequately compensate them for their time or service.
  • islandsmithislandsmith Member Posts: 3
    You can set your preferences so that doors don't auto lock. The setting is reached through the buttons on the right side of your gauge cluster.
    Hello srtahoeowner,
    I'm sorry that you are also encountering this frustrating issue. If you haven't done so already, we would definitely like to get a Service Request set up for you. Please contact us via one of the email addresses in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina will advise you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • matharrismatharris Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I suspect an actuator problem as well - seems exactly like what everyone else is saying.

First - power locks stopped working in the rear passenger door. Had to manually lock/unlock. Then, the lock just stopped working. Stuck in locked position for about 90 days. Every once in a while, it would magically open for us, but that only happened maybe three times.

It's a 2008, with 60k miles on it.

Also - since I couldn't open the door, it started to fill up with rain water through the window seals. Sounded like a half-empty water jug. I went back there this morning, and was able to open the door by jiggling the interior door handle a lot.

Water drained out for 10 minutes. While it was draining, I used my key to force the door lock up. Now, the door will lock and unlock manually again.

I'm emailing socialmedia@gm.com now.
    Good morning matharris,

Saw this at the end of your post: "I'm emailing socialmediagm.com now. " :D

My coworker Christina responds to inbound emails from the forum and should be back to you soon. If you don't hear back, please be sure to let me know.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lsimpson2lsimpson2 Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvcsarah - Unfortunately I have the same problem. I have three of the four door lock actuators not working on my 2008 Yukon Denali. Very frustrating to have this kind of problem with a $60,000 vehicle. So far no help from GM except to tell me to take it to a dealer and pay for a service call and then they may consider offsetting some of the cost to replace them. The GM Customer Service response was that you cannot rely on information on Edmunds.com to be true because it is not a GM Website. Any help you can give me with a Service Request would be greatly appreciated.
    Good morning,

Did you have a Service Request set up when you called in (71-**********)? If not, send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com and we'll get that going.

Our first step is a diagnostic appointment, which I understand can be off putting. However, I do want to reaffirm with you that we are with GM, it's just that sometimes interdepartmental communication has its difficulties.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,

I sent an e-mail with all of the info on the 22nd of March but haven't heard anything. What is the normal response time? I would hope that Chevrolet could provide some sort of resolution to this problem before someone gets hurt or killed in a vehicle that they can't be extracted from in an emergency. Especially small children and infants in the back seat.

Thanks for helping in this matter.
    always82nd,

I checked with Christina and she said that she had just recently replied. I'm sorry for the delay in response time -- hopefully the process will move faster now.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lrandall0497lrandall0497 Member Posts: 1
    Good morning,
    I am experiencing the same door lock issues as everyone else. 3 of my door locks have went out now and it started around 62,000 after my certified warranty was up. Is there any way to get them replaced rather than paying almost $300/door from my dealer? I tried ti find where I could email the GM Customer Service from here but the profile says private for email. Please advise, thanks!
    I'm sorry about the confusion about the email address, Irandall0497. I think there's a glitch with my account.

In any case, you can contact us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ccampb6ccampb6 Member Posts: 2
    Just throwing my information out there. I've already been down this path with GM on my 2008 Silverado Crew Cab. I bought this vehicle brand new just about the time GM was going into a nose dive due to the financial crisis at the end of 2008. I was looking at both a Tundra and a Silverado. After driving both it came down to my brand loyalty and I wanted to do my part to help keep GM out of the red as much as possible. This is the 6th Chevrolet I've purchased(89' GMC S15, 95' Camaro, 01' Camaro SS, 00' Camaro Z28, 05 Trailblazer, this 08' Silverado) and unfortunately, due to the handling of something that is obviously a HUGE problem for everyone that purchased an 08' truck/SUV, might very well be my last.

My door locks started going out around the 30k mark. First my passengers side front, then the driver side front, and finally both of the rear doors. I started my conversations with GM about getting the Door locks looked at about a year - year and a half ago. When I called to have them looked at, they informed me that due to the fact that I was at 37k miles, they would not be covered and I would need to pay $200 or so per door to have them replaced. I declined because I had already seem what they cost from gmpartsdirect on another forum. I requested that the case be escalated and asked if they would have an area representative contact me about the situation. A week or so went by before hearing from someone. They asked that I bring the vehicle in to have "diagnostics" run on the door locks and that I would need to cove the cost of those "diagnostic tests" - $75 or so. Really? REALLY? Having worked on vehicles for many years, I can assure you that simply depressing the lock and unlock button on either the key fob or switch on the door is MORE than enough of a diagnostic test to show whether or not they function correctly. At that point I gave up......if a company can't get it's head out of its own behind long enough to see that there is a HUGE WIDESPREAD issue with these, then I'm just not sure there is much hope.

So Sarah, that's my story. Would GM like to retain a long time customer? Or, would sticking your head in the sand and forcing customers to move along to the next car lot be preferable? Your call.
    ccampb6,

Thank you for your longstanding support of GM vehicles, and I'm sorry that you have had such a negative experience as you seek to get the situation with your door locks resolved. When you called in, were you assigned a case number (71-**********)? If so, would you please be willing to share that with us so that we may look further into your case? We can also locate your vehicle's file with the last 8 digits of your VIN.

I look forward to hearing more,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ccampb6ccampb6 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, they did give me a number. I don't remember what it was now. However, the last 8 of my vin is 8G288189. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Thank you for getting that out to me, ccampb6. I can see where you were frustrated last year. If you would like for us to set up another Service Request (I can't reopen this one as it was closed over a year ago), please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with updated contact information (phone and address), mileage, and preferred dealership.

I can't promise a final result, as these are all handled on a case-by-case basis, but we've definitely been working with a number of these cases and will do what we can!

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • johnb1975johnb1975 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I'm an owner of a 2009 Tahoe LTZ who is also experiencing door lock actuator issues, My first experience is back in September 2011 (8618 miles) with the Passenger side front door. Last week I am experiencing the same issue with the Rear Drivers side door. It seems a bit silly that GM does not see this as a problem with the design and or manufacture with its door actuators. My vehicle is under warranty and should be replaced at no cost (I hope). However, I am concerned if this is issue is not corrected I will experience this in the future. I think GM should investigate its actuator design for this vehicle and come up with a solution at no cost to vehicle owners... Most of us have paid upwards of 60K for these vehicles and a door actuator should not be a concern to us.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    johnb1975,
    Thank you for taking your time to post your experiences. My name is Christina; I work with GM Customer Service. If you take the vehicle to your dealer and you are still under the bumper to bumper warranty this should be fixed at no cost to you. I have documented your concerns. If you have this problem again please feel free to email me directly. Any updates on this are appreciated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • johnb1975johnb1975 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Christina, Do you need any other info from me?
  • mjl0204mjl0204 Member Posts: 2
    I have long been a Supporter and Promoter for all things Chevrolet...however, this is about to stop unless someone from Chevy Contacts ME ASAP. I have owned 3 Chevy Tahoes consecutively since 1999 and at some point the door actuators have ALWAYS FAILED.
    I now own a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and BOTH rear actuators have failed. I have a brand new baby, and while I was able to tolerate the inconvenience, frustration and embarrassment of reaching over the front seat to manually unlock the rear door, I have had it!!! It is a huge safety issue, a major pain in the [non-permissible content removed] and for almost $60K...a true shame.
    I have literally spent over $1000 in Actuators in 10 years time...enough is enough. Chevy, if you dont fix this for me, I'm moving on. I refuse to empty my wallet yet again for something so very basic. This is not a threat, it is a promise...I am in the Retail Industry, I manage over 1500 associates, and I wouldn't EVER let an issue like this go unresolved in one of my stores to the point of alienating a customer for life. I will be waiting to hear from you...but I won't be waiting long (nor do I really think you'll do anything about it besides give me some long drawn out run around anyway).
    mjl0204,

I know that this issue is frustrating. If you haven't done so already, please get in contact with us via email, socialmedia@gm.com , with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, phone, address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. Please also include a note in the email that this is about door lock issues for your Tahoe. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from Edmunds, will assist you from there.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    johnb1975,
    Not at this time. Please let me know how things go at the dealer. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    It has been 4 months since i first contacted GM about the door locks issue and still no resolution! You said Christina would be contacting me via email in post #418 and yet I have received no email, phone call or any other form of response. Is this how you treat your customers? Make them pay a diagnostics fee and then turn your back when it does turn out to be the actuators? You still have not responded to my original question as to why GM won't recall these actuators. To the rest of you frustrated GM customers...good luck! You will pay the diagnostics fee ($90) and find out that, yes the actuators are bad and pay the $300 per door to have them fixed. They may throw a "we'll give you $1,000 certificate towards your next NEW GM car purchase." Guess what? the dealer doesn't have to honor that certificate and even if they accept it they will tack on $1,000 in setup, destination, underbody sealer, etc. etc. etc. 4 MONTHS!!! :lemon:
    Good luck. I've been waiting 4 months for a response from them. Only repsonse I've received so far is a certificate towards a new GM vehicle. They truly don't get it!
    ndhousemover,
    What is your case number? Please feel free to email me directly. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tripltripl Member Posts: 3
    I have a fully loaded 2008 Tahoe LT Z and I am now down to one actuator working after having two of them fix while I still have my warranty and wouldn't you know my next one goes out right when I crossed 36,000 miles
    I took it to the dealer and he told me that the other two doors are no longer under warranty so you can't fix them for less than $500 per door to top it off my door handle the driver side break so I can barely get into to my own $55000 vehicle. My kids have to let me in or I must leave the window down . I have owned Cadillac Escalade GMC Yukon and two Chevy Tahoe's I was a big fan of the tahoes until this started happening. I am now considering going to the new ford and would never ever said that previously. Where is the recall on the defective parts?
    Case number is 71-1028201504. 2008 Yukon SLT. Rear driverside and passenger side door locks.