Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for taking the time to share these kind words! We're happy we were able to help, and I will be sure to pass your post along.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    fastmike926,

I'm sorry that you are having so many difficulties with your Suburban. Have you been having these things looked into by your GM dealership? If so, we're happy to follow up on what's been done with them and see where we need to go from here. Please email us more information (your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership) and we'll get started.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good afternoon kprice3,

I know that a diagnostic fee can be difficult, but this is where you dealership would need to start at. If we can look into this matter with you, however, we would be happy to see what we could do (although I cannot promise results up front). Please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com:
    Your name and Edmunds username
    phone and address
    the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    the name of your involved dealership

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mbrowning76mbrowning76 Member Posts: 1
    This is a systemic issue. I have a 2009 Tahoe that three of my four door locks do not work. I make sure my doors are unlocked just in case something happens and my kids have to get out. What's the latest on this. Is GM going to do anything about this?

Mark
  • fastmike926fastmike926 Member Posts: 2
    No offense sarah but in the 9 months that i have been dealing with gm customer service to try to get my vehicle fixed the only thing you guys are good at is saying how sorry you are. gm cusomer service has never had any interest in fixing the lemon that you sold me. but they have tried sneaky underhanded tactics like calling me and leaving messages saying that if i dont respond my case is being closed and then never answering when i try to call and never returning messages. The electrical issues that i have cause the car to completely die if i use the bright lights at night leaving the car dead in the water. my biggest fear is that my family will be seriously injured or killed when the car dies at night in the middle of the road without lights. after explaining this to both mike and nathan who were assigned to my case they could only say they were sorry. when my familys life is in danger evrytime they ride in the car just a sorry is unacceptable.
  • 60yokid60yokid Member Posts: 1
    I read on the internet of other GM owners experiencing multiple power door lock failures. Two of the door locks on my Suburban failed about 2 months ago, and today a third one has failed!
    I am really disappointed in these multiple failures and my local service dealer tells me the lock repair will be rather expensive.

I've had more failures with this Suburban than usual including the "heated wipers", and now the stabilizer air pump and rear air shocks have also failed. Not to mention the intermittent radio and cluster failure that makes a loud "pop" on occasion and almost scares the wits out of everyone in the car! When this happens, many of my instrument cluster also fails, and my dealer can not find the problem but he quoted $4000 plus, to try and fix it by replacing the radio/GPS and other components! Those systems happen to be working OK at the present time!

In addition, when I was in Florida this spring the plastic horizontal passenger door trim warped and when my wife opened the door, it caught and bent the metal of the door! These trims have been replaced once already, and now I see the other three trims are warping too! This is just disgusting!

All in all, I am ashamed of owning this vehicle. I am wondering if anything can be done to correct these problems. After all, this is not an inexpensive vehicle since it has almost every option available. It is a 2008 Chevy Suburban I understand this car was made in Mexico! Maybe that has something to do with the failures, I don't know.

I am 70 yrs old and have owned 8 or 10 Suburbans and several dozen other GM SUV's, pickups and automobiles, because I operated an electrical contracting company for years. Now my son is operating the business and he buys GM also. My brother in law is retired from GM and I buy GM products to support him and his former company, but I am having second thoughts about my next vehicles.

Any help for this burb?
    mbrowning76 and 60yokid,

Our main avenue of evaluating these situations is to set up a Service Request with us, if you haven't done so already. Please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information and my coworker Christina will guide you through the next steps: name/Edmunds username, your contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership, as well as a description of your concern (which I realize is posted here, but it can be difficult to link emails to posts at times).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    fastmike926,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and case number? I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • scott243scott243 Member Posts: 1
    Just looking through a few threads here to find out details about how I can rebuild my own door actuators with quality parts. My car was out of warranty about 1000 miles. CSR I was assigned to was worthless. When I tried to go back to GM a take a different route, I was sent back to the same CSR. spent the week with friends at the beach. 2 are car shopping and I shared my story with them. My wife is likely to buy a car this month. Not even looking at anything GM. Lexus GX470 has a similar price tag and much better reliability. 58 pages on this thread alone should be a message to GM. How your company reacts to such issues will no doubt set you on your way to whatever level of success you make for yourselves.

To Subject Sent Size Categories
    'cac@chevrolet.com' Service Request: 71-1074853245 6/14/2012 8 KB

8 days later and things are worse for me. Reggie would call me once a day and if I couldn’t answer, he would just schedule another call for the next business day during his meager 3 hour workday. After finally connecting with him, there was little he could do except to “escalate” my request. The next rep did get the sales manager from Smokey Mountain on the phone in a 3-way call. Glenn, I think his name was tried to get me to accept less expensive alternatives to the Factory Service Manual I was promised, but eventually agreed to send a book by Merc? Hope that is what the dealers use because that’s what I was promised. I guess I’ll see if it arrives. Meanwhile, my lock and handle are broken and I’m begging people not to pull on the cheap plastic door handle which is broken because they’re trying to open a locked door. The second area rep that helped with the manual is in a different area than where I currently live, so he has to “escalate” my request to another rep. Seems like the only escalation is the time taken to get someone on the phone as the third rep took 2 days to call me. When he did, I was told that I could take my car to Steve Raymond Cheverolet and that they would charge me for diagnosis and then make a decision. NO THANKS. I’ll get $150 in and they’ll have me in a corner. Really disappointed in the quality of this car. My friend with a 2007 Tahoe LTZ says he’s replaced the trim around his windows twice, cheap plastic was his account. Might be just his opinion, but he did work on jet engines for years when he was younger so his opinion counts more than most. I have noticed two pieces of interior trim that seem loose on my car as well. According to my internet research, the lock actuator problems are caused by cheap Chinese motors used in their production. There are plenty of stories of all 4 of them failing on a car in a 1-1/2 year time period. Well short of my expectations and incredibly disappointing in a luxury SUV with a $58K sticker price.

At this point, I am going to repair my car myself. I have no intention of returning to Steve Raymond (or any other GM dealership) unless OEM parts are my only option. Had to unsubscribe for all of the spam encouraging me to shop for a new Chevy as a result of my inquiry. At least I got a laugh.
  • pjpgreenpjpgreen Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2008 Tahoe, i am a stay at home mom so don't drive it everyday. My first door lock crapped out and was covered under the basic warranty. The next 2 went out ( at separate times) and were covered by the extended warranty. When the 3rd went out i asked the dealer to change out the actuator (i think that's what they said the problem was) on the final door. I told the service department that the likelihood that they used the same crap parts for all 4 door was very high and it was only a matter of weeks before #4 crapped out. "sorry, if it's not broke we don't fix it" It didn't matter that i had to schedule appointments for 3 separate incidents for the same issue and the inconvenience and the failure for of the vehicle to meet expectations. Of course 2 months later i was back, paying out of pocket for something i knew was going to break and ticked off that they didn't fix it when they had the chance, and off course the attitude i get when i bring this up. At least someone who posted on this page got apologies for their troubles, i didn't. All i got was attitude with the statement that vehicles get normal wear and tear issues and get fixed as they occur and there is no way for the dealer to predict when or if these issues will occur.
    It could have been worse. I owned a 97 2-door tahoe for a number of years and the injectors on that jalopy blew every 9 months or so, sometimes one at a time, sometimes 3 or 4 together.
  • zboaterzboater Member Posts: 17
    Update: car out of warranty - took into dealer and they took care of the issue and replaced at no charge and no questions asked. My dealer over the last 15 years has always done their best to do the right thing. We will see if/when the others go out and how those are handled. I agree that GM needs to do a re-design and re-call on this issue. Thanks to this forum and users for great insight.
  • gbburbangbburban Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,

How do I email you my VIN? I have these same problems?
  • noleball28noleball28 Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,

I am so tired of having to worry about my 2006 suburban rear doors again. The other locks work just fine but this rear door and rear window will not lock. Is there some kind of recall? There should be, it seems that many of us are having this same issue. I cant keep spending hundreds "just to tell me what it is". How can you help?

Thanks
    Scott
  • betobrowningbetobrowning Member Posts: 1
    well, I have the same problem that everyone else is having and the jest of the 500+ messages here is that GM knows about the problem, yet is unwilling to make it easy on their customers to fix the problem. This after the American public funded the GM bailout. How do they repay us, by building crappy vehicles and not standing by them and sending much of their business to China. It sounds like the best solution for me is to fix my vehcile and go buy a Ford Expedition. Buy American, just not GM. I have purchased over 10 GM vechiles in the past, but no more....fool me once, shame on you.
  • jaginbluejaginblue Member Posts: 4
    Add yet another 2009 Yukon to the list of failed lock actuators. Mine is a Hybrid with 53,000 miles. So far I have had to replace the rear view camera and have the entire top end of the engine rebuilt. The engine had "corrosion" on one cam lobe. Now both right side lock actuators have crapped out. I have always been a believer in GM , having owned a Camaro, a Buick century, an Impala, two Suburbans and this Yukon. After reading how GM is not stepping up to fix this lock problem - which is a true safety/ security issue - I am done with GM. Was considering a New Caddy. No longer even thinking about it.
    edited July 2012
    jaginblue,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your frustrations and concerns. Have you spoke with your local GM dealer and/or Service Manager about your concerns? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Please feel free to email me with your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealer of choice and I am happy to look into this further for you. I hope to hear from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • blocksmblocksm Member Posts: 1
    Just emailed socialmedia@gm.com re: my denali...which i purchased private party three days ago. Imagine my dissappointment when this morning my driver's door lock won't work. We'll see if I get a response or any help -- why on EARTH hasn't GM recalled this particular issue???
  • ferfridayferfriday Member Posts: 6
    Update on my Tahoe...after a long drawn out battle GM replaced the motor in my Tahoe and I ended up paying $450 to them and $450 to my local mechanic who found the issue and alerted me to the mass problem. They would not agree to fix my door locks even though the local dealer has documentation that it started prior to my warranty expiring. I will not purchase another Chevrolet. I feel like if they truly believed in the quality of the product they were selling, they would not hide these issues and make you find it on Edmunds. Also they watch this website for a reason, to make themselves look better in the public eye. They should have told me about the issue with my Tahoe, I shouldn't have had to rely on an honest local mechanic to alert me. :lemon:
  • dennisubrdennisubr Member Posts: 1
    Christina,

I too am having this problem with my 2009 Tahoe, this seems to be an issue, is GM planning to address this issue with a recall? I am now upset about it because my wife is expecting and we need access for obvious reasons such as getting my newborn in and out of the back seat. Overall, I have been pleased with the vehicle (other than the paint peeling from the dash buttons) but these2 issues are causing me to rethink buying another Gm in the near future. Can you assist?

Dennis
  • vincesegvinceseg Member Posts: 9
    Sadly I wouldn't hold your breath on any recall. I've been told numerous times from the dealer, and the 1-800 customer service number that since it isn't a "safety issue" no recall is warranted. You'd think GM would want to do the right thing but since they use the same garbage actuators across their product lines basically every GM vehicle needs a recall. Nice.

Take a look at the Chevy Malibu forums for some real fun threads over there.

I've had 2 of them replaced, they still don't work properly, dealer couldn't reproduce sticking issue this time, NO satisfaction. The damn things were sticking on me again this weekend. :( Pathetic.
    Here's another "pearl of GM wisdom", you have to buy the whole locking mechanism, not just the actuator so the part is around 3 bills instead of 30-40 dollars for the actuator on a site like advancedautoparts.com.

If you're handy and can take the door apart I'd recommend going that route. In fact I'm pretty sure the parts from Dorman carry a lifetime warranty. Only one you cannot do yourself is the rear tailgate actuator, I haven't found one online yet.

One other thing I'd report it on the government website as a safety issue. Like not being able to get your door open with a baby in the backseat isn't a "safety issue". Not in GM's eyes obviously.
    Good morning Dennis,
    We would be happy to look into this further with you. Please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com and we'll get started: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • branflake75branflake75 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I have a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali as well. Both passenger side door power locks are not working. I have 4 kids, so this is verry frustrating. Has there been a recall on this yet? I need to get this repaired ASAP. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • jmbcc2008jmbcc2008 Member Posts: 4
    After experiencing all four of door lock failures on my 2008 Suburban, am I surprised that I am now dealing with the rear hatch actuator failure?? Absolutely not!! GM's name and reputation are now synonymous with with any adjective describing poor quality and poor customer service.
    GM is in the vehicle "making & selling" business. They are not the least bit concerned about the consumer or their product after the purchase.
    They are well aware of the issues that thousands are experiencing and I've been told that there is no current recall, nor will there be a recall on defective actuators.
    I contacted GM, and one of their CSR, "Glen", has been so helpful in trying to assist me in contacting my local GM dealership to make an appointment for a $110.00 diagnostic test and following costly repairs, " ALL AT MY EXPENSE!"
    Excuse me, do you really think I need GM's help to do something I am perfectly capable of doing myself? Assuming I have the $700-$800 it's going to cost to repair my rear hatch actuator? Which, incidentally, I don't happen to have.
    Thank you, AGAIN, GM for not taking care of your once loyal customers. I will not purchase another GM product.
  • dmntddmntd Member Posts: 20
    So after having my 05 Tahoe for a few months my lift gate and the glass are stuck in the lock position. There is no manual key hole in the button, which I find odd that some models of the same year has them and some dont. I was told by Kuni Chevrolet it would cost $150 to test the actuator and about $325 to replace it. I explained to them the actuator works and you can hear it trying to lock or unlock when you hit the remote entry button. I filed a complaint with the NTSB since I have a 3rd row of seats and in my eyes with a loaded vehicle passengers in the back can not get out the back. There is no manual way either to open the lift gate or glass from the inside as well. I find my Tahoe is now an over priced 4 door peace of crap since the point of having an SUV is the ease of accessing the cargo area which I am now locked out of :-(. I have been told that it is a quick cheap fix which GM should fix free of charge instead of making owners cough up hundreds of dollars to parts they do not need.
  • warren_sealewarren_seale Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2012
    I just had my 2nd lock actuator replaced on our 2008 Yukon out of warranty for no cost. It was a simple procedure similar to what I did for the 1st one that went out. Call the GM service number tell them about the problem and get a case #. Have them call your favorite dealer and arrange to have them see the truck. The dealer's service dept confirmed that it was the actuator just by flicking the switch with no lock action. They took my case # and put it in the shop for repair. The part was in stock. 60 minutes later it was finished and I was on my way. No sweat, no hassles. Thank you very much.
    What is your case number, jmbcc2008? If you were to email that to us at socialmedia@gm.com, we would be happy to check into this.

Good evening branflake75,
    We would be happy to look into this further; please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who responds to incoming emails from Edmunds, will assist you further.

• biggbucsbiggbucs Member Posts: 1
    It appears that I am not the only one that is having this issue with the door locks. I have had the back 2 door locks replaced a couple years back and now my front driver side door lock actuator will not work. The local dealership has offered to pay 1/2 of the cost, but $200 seems like a lot of money to pay for an issue that they have already fixed twice. I have been a life long Chevrolet person (Eurosport/Corsica/Illumnia/Trailblazer and now Tahoe) and this is the most problems I have had out of a vehicle (cracked dashboard, broken door locks, inside trim buckling)......very frustrating.
    warren_seale,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with GM Customer Assistance. If you have any other questions comments or concerns please feel free to contact us! :-)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    biggbucs,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your frustrations and concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • thuber22thuber22 Member Posts: 4
    I too am having the same problem as all of you with the actuator on my drivers door. I called the local dealer who said he would "help me out since it's a known problem and do it for $100". I just emailed Sarah and Christina at customer service to see what they can do, I'll post the results.
  • compulynxcompulynx Member Posts: 1
    Ok. Here is a fix I setup info for to fix these bad $100 locks for 5 bucks.

Enjoy. GM, shove it!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146980&hl=

C
  • kriskakriska Member Posts: 1
    Christina,
    I have a 2008 chevy tohoe that has been having the same door lock actuator problem. I've already replaced the two rear doors at my own cost and the passenger door is now broken. I was thinking of replacing it myself, but I don't want to break the door panel.
    Can you do anything to help?
    VIN: 1GNFK13098R192426
    Mileage: 110,200
    Thanks,
    Kris
    So it has been 6 days and never heard back from anyone at GM, so I broke down and spent the $100 to get it fixed. Disappointing. I have driven Chevy's since 96 (2 Tahoes), while my wife has had Ford Mustangs the whole time with no problems. Maybe it time to try a Ford Expedition or Explorer.
    I'm sorry that you were never responded to! Did you send the email to socialmedia@gm.com? I know that Christina, who answers the inbound emails from the forum, has been on top of the inbound emails this week and if you weren't responded to perhaps it did not come through. Again, our apologies!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks for responding Sarah. I just re-emailed the original message. Hope you can help.
  • tincup2002tincup2002 Member Posts: 2
    Does this fix work with remote start vehicles? I have looked into this for a while, but was unsure if it interfered with that feature... Thanks.
    What $5 door lock fix are you referencing? Is there another thread out there?
    Let me know if you hear back, thuber22; if not I have an alternative email you can try!

• tincup2002tincup2002 Member Posts: 2
    See message #608 of this thread. There is a link there that will take you to the $5 fix along with an additional link to buy the parts. For $5, you can replace a bunch of them yourself before you match GM's cost.
    Well, I heard back from GM and just as all of you have stated before after several emails back and forth they stated there is nothing they can do to help. What a waste of time and a disappointment for a minor issue that GM could easily cover when it occurs in a goodfaith effort to mainitain customer loyalty and trust. I guess I'm old fashioned but I expect more out of a $40,000 car and top ten Fortune 500 company. Here is the exact post I got from GM:

Thank you for your update. At this time there isn't much that I can do. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to email me directly and I can look into things further at that time. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    compulynx,

In your post regarding the wiring adaptation for the new actuator, you noted you cut the existing wires and left enough to splice them back together for future needs.

Would it work to strip the insulation off the existing 2 wires for the actuator and then tap into those wires for the new actuator, creating a T?

The last update you sent listed a new link for Ebay to by a 6 pack of actuators. Has anyone used them and do you think they will survive a couple years of use? I'm assuming they are also made in China.

Thanks in advance for your timely reply!
  • dezbdezb Member Posts: 14
    I have now had all of my door locks replaced. Thank God for the extended warranty that something told me to buy when I purchased my 2008 Tahoe. I have neVER had the need for an extended warranty before. Our 2000 GMC Sierra takes a licking and keeps on ticking, but I don;t think I will purchase a CHEVY product any time soon. I will be trading in my Tahoe before the extended warranty expires. It is a shame, because it rides nice when running properly. The dealership (Freeway Chevy) knows me by name, which is sad. The dealership is great, but the product is not. My husband told me that his company, a long time chevy buyer, is now going to purchase Ford work trucks because the chevy trucks they have are experiencing some type of wiring problems on the new trucks. This is a shame because they purchase many trucks every year. This is a shame. We were going to cosign for our daughter to purchase a malibu, but due to the poor quality of chevy lately, we are now looking at Honda and Nissan products. We have always been firm believers in buying American, but not when you are losing this kind of money.
  • rojororojoro Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2009 yukon denali xl have the same issue, iam in the process of replacing the third actuator out of 4. i contacted GM for the safey concern more than anything, all they were worried about is if was serviced at a GM dealer or else were, if it was not done by a GM service then it would not be recorded in the national database. So what i did, and would recomend to you and to all else that have this issue. file a complaint with the NHTSA regarding this matter. this helps determine weither it will be a safety recall or not.

See GM has this lock actuator failure classified under a "NON-safety" safety issue. If my family cannotget out of the vehicle in an emergency it is a "major safety" safety issue.

And as for what the "gmcustsvc" sai, I will let you know what my dealership said "there is no recall, over warranty mileage, no warranty coverage, payment is out of pocket" was over warranty by only 1000 miles when the first actuator failed
  • jaginbluejaginblue Member Posts: 4
    I am happy to report that my dealer, Gearhart Chevrolet in Denville NJ was able to convince GM to repair my two passenger side locks under warranty - My 2009 Yukon Hybrid has 62,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, the driver lock is now acting up. Fingers crossed!
    We're glad to hear that you're moving towards a resolution on the door lock matter with your dealership, jaginblue! Thank you for posting an update.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jlp627jlp627 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2009 Suburban LT and 3 out of 4 actuators failed and we have 58k miles. We contacted GM and set up a case and then spent $99 for a diagnosis. Then after a few weeks were told that we are out of waranty. So obviously I knew when we started we were out of warranty so GM basically screwed us out of $99.
    I then contacted one of these GM people on this site and the response I received was:
    Thank you for your update. I apologize for your frustrations. I have brought your situation to the attention of my superiors. At this time I am unable to overturn the resolution of your District Specialist; however, I have documented your dissatisfaction. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

I am wondering if anyone was actually helped by these GM Customer Service agents? This is a safety issue. My child began chocking and he was sitting in the back seat on the passenger side. I was standing outside the car and couldn't get to him. I had my keys in my hand but both passenger side locks wouldn't work and there is not key hole to manually open the door. I ended up running to the drivers side of the car and was able to help him but it could have very easily become tragic. I bought this car used a year ago and I wish I had bought a Ford.
  • hufnagelhufnagel Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2008 Suburban LT, with 48,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago the passenger door lock stopped working, and today the Driver side lock also stopped working. After looking through all the posts, I feel fortunate I made it as long as I did. It sounds like the back two are not far behind, great. The only other problem I have had is the chrome on the interior door handles have begun to pull away, and are very sharp. Two people have cut their hands on them when trying to open the door. It sounds like there is nothing to do to get them fixed, but any advise would be helpful. Thanks