Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• gregaf3gregaf3 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue here too. 2008 Tahoe, passenger door actuator just went out at 55k miles. Has GM acknowledged that they have a reoccurring issue here?
  • nevcity1nevcity1 Member Posts: 1
    After posting glowing reviews on our 2008 LTZ a little flag reading "Expired" must have popped up out of the dash 2K after warranty period. The driver doorlock stopped working then a couple of thousand miles later the rear passenger stopped working both were repaired at GM dealership at a cost of over $800.00. After leaving the dealership the same rear passenger lock stopped working again, it was repaired at no additional charge. If they were going to try and charge me, I was going to drive it through the front of the Showroom. Well two weeks ago the battery died, and yesterday the rear driver side doorlock stopped working. I guess it's a matter of a couple of weeks before the front passenger goes. This is our second Tahoe and fifth GM truck, unless GM faces up to the problem it will be our last GM product. I'm in the Agricultural Business here in California and most Farms use White late model Chevy trucks. I visit a minimum of fifty farm accounts a month and each have several trucks. My dissatisfaction with GM will have real reprecussions.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited January 2011
    Seems like a discussion with the sales manager of your local dealership is in order.

Worst case, a magnetic sign which states the facts.... "replaced my 4th door actuator" wouldn't cost much to make up. Heck, the Ford dealer might even kick in some assist bucks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    gregaf3,
    If you would email me your VIN and current mileage i will look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gary063gary063 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Steve,
    I have purchased 4 Tahoes from Chevrolet in the last 10 years not to mention, my employer also provides chevrolet trucks to those who require them. Since writing my previous request for info regarding the door lock issue, the door moulding paint has begun to fail ( fade severely). When I noticed, I again went to my local Chevy dealer and asked if they would kindly resolve the paint issue. The response I received was sure ...... and here is our estimate to repaint this for you. I was dumfounded. It is clearly a defect in workmanship. When I contacted GM Customer Service, they responded by saying......it could be an enviromental issue. ???????? REALLY?. My only recourse is to stop filling GM's pockets with money. I WILL NEVER BUY OR DRIVE ANOTHER GM PRODUCT AGAIN. As we all know, Tahoe's sticker price is not for the faint of heart and I have bought 4 of them. you would think they would help loyal customers instead of driving them to imports. Tomorrow I will be purchasing a ML 350......not another Tahoe!
  • lsutiger71lsutiger71 Member Posts: 5
    That sounds about right as far as Chevrolet's "great" customer service!!... Then we'll have the customer representative on here ask you to waste more time by sending her the vin #.... What a joke!!! Guess they'll just wait for the government to bail them out again....
  • whips66whips66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a very nice LTZ Chevy Silverado 2008. Only 34K miles on it. My power door lock stopped working today. Sounds like I am going to cough up about $400 bucks to fix a known issue. Funny thing, I traded a Kia mini van for the truck and the Kia had the same issue. I know I will buy a Ford next time. I don't see the point of giving Chevy more money for a known issue. Only 34K miles and already having issues................... really sad!
    edited February 2011
    Well on Monday, I had to replace a failed seatbelt connector & pretensioner on our Ford. With over a million miles of driving on our family vehicles over the years (all makes and models), never ever had to replace any defective seatbelt parts. Unbelievable to me that a brand new part, with all the electronics and pretensioner, was only 130 bucks. Figured it would be 300 when I was heading to the dealership. "I believe" that across the board, parts are generally of a lesser quality than they were 20 years ago. We all love that we can buy a new vehicle for as little as they are, those lower quality parts and labor are the reason.

I suspect that would have been a 500 repair to have the dealer do it, since have to take the seat out of the vehicle and apart. (Did find a quarter, and some old cheerios for lunch, though).

So I don't know that Ford will necessarily be any better for you.
    nevcity1,
    Can you please send me your VIN and current mileage? Please refrence this post and your problem. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lockgremlinslockgremlins Member Posts: 4
    I'm a long time Chevy truck owner but this latest problem has me questioning my decision! My latest vehicle is my 2008 Suburban. At about 35,000 miles the first door lock went out but it was covered under the warranty. Now at 44,000 I have two others out! I guess it's just a matter of time before #4 goes. Can anyone suggest how to get this fixed without spending $400 per door? My wife is not happy about climbing over seats to open the doors for our 3 year old! Thanks in advance for the assistance.
  • carolinaptcarolinapt Member Posts: 12
    IF you scroll down through these posts on chevy tahoe door lock problems, one man fixed his and he told me how in the posts. I haven't done my yet, they work sporadically and I roll the window down vs. Climbing over seats. Hope that helps.
  • aggierooferaggieroofer Member Posts: 1
    Had the same door lock issue. Thank goodness three of the four failed under warranty. When they were fixing the third one ( three seperate trips) I asked the dealer to go ahead and change out the fourth because there was an obvious defect. They would not do so. Low and behold 10k miles after the warranty expired the fourth one went out and same ol' $400.00 story. I havn't changed it out yet becasue i have not been able to swallow the issue yet. I bought an 08' LTZ 2500HD the same year and only one of the 4 has gone out so far. Crossing my fingers. I wa certainly dissappointed that they wouldnt cover the 4th under warranty after teh other three failed under warranty. I have a fleet of 80 pickups, 50/50, ford/chevy. Still no consideration. I am not sure which one i will reconsider next time the manufacturer or the dealer.
    :(
  • lockgremlinslockgremlins Member Posts: 4
    I think I'll try to replace my door locks on my own....after I come to grips with the expense! Let's hope its not too involved. Has anyone ever tackled this job before? :mad:
    edited February 2011
    Haven't ever had to do it on either of my Suburban's (knock on wood). But have replaced them before on my Vette, and a couple on Chrysler T&C. Take off the inner door panel.
  • hammersixhammersix Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am in the military stationed in Germany with my 2008 Yukon. I only have about 24000 miles on it and already one of the door actuators has failed and a more are sticking. It is to the point that sometimes I have to enter the car from the front passenger side. While my vehicle is still under warranty, I was told by the dealer I purchased it from in the US that the warranty would not be honored in Germany. There is a Chevrolet dealership in the town I live in, however. Is there anyway I can get this issue resolved under warranty here? It sounds like at least a $1200 problem, if I can even get it done. Thank you for your time.
    D
    hammersix,
    I would like to interact with you via email to assist you with this situation. Please explain your situation (Military overseas warranty work) and include the VIN in the email and we can get things going for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • hammersixhammersix Member Posts: 9
    I will send you an email on this. Thanks for the response!
  • rcarl3114rcarl3114 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2008 Tahoe and am rewarded with 2 doors (both left side doors) that now refuse to auto open. Should have consulted this forum before buying or stuck with my gut and purchased foreign. I loved my 99 Tahoe with 154,000 miles and am sick after reading this forum. Sounds like the manufacture should have addressed the problem a long time ago. Keep this thing going and maybe GM will get the message . Ralph
  • twillietwillie Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 Tahoe in Oct 10 with 37427 miles; at 42000 miles (January) the front 2 door locks stopped working. In March I took it to the dealer to have the recall addressed and the day before I was to leave it the back passenger door lock stopped working. I was quoted by the dealership a price of almost 900 to have the three doors fixed. This is my first Chevrolet Tahoe and I thought I was upgrading from my ford explorer which had almost 100,000 but it never gave me any problems. Have any notices been issued by GM to address this problem or offer some kind of discount to have these locks replaced?
  • lsutiger71lsutiger71 Member Posts: 5
    :):):) We'll no longer have to worry about Chevy's poor service and unreliability... Got rid of the 08 Tahoe!!!! Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!!!!!!
    twillie,

I would like to get more specific information from you regarding this issue. In order to do some further research, it would be very helpful to have the VIN, current mileage, full name, address and best contact number for our records sent to me in an email. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Caron, GM Customer Service
    rcarl3114,
    Have you spoke with a dealer about your concerns?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • a2ta2t Member Posts: 21
    We’ve got an 08 tahoe hybrid with 26k miles still under factory warranty and all 4 door locks have quit. We have had drivers front and pass front repl. under warranty, now the back 2 are dead as well.

GM customer service : Christina, Caron, it is encouraging to see you posting on here (if you are not just bots) and I hope you will follow through. Yes I have informed my dealer (Jim Ellis, Atlanta) about this issue and I will remind them again when I bring it back in for the next round of door lock replacements. They told me they are breaking on every Tahoe (and many other models) and there was no better version to replace with. You need to make the engineers at the tech center in Warren aware of this issue ASAP and have dealers start swapping in a better mechanism during the repairs. Ive got 3 kids and driving down the road with unlocked doors is very dangerous. It’s a deal breaker in a $20k car let alone a $50k car. I would be happy to go over this with you or any GM engineers in detail as Im an automotive and aerospace mech. Engr too. Please feel free to contact me directly. Paul at gruvenparts dot com. I can provide my VIN, ect..

Aside from the door lock issue, this car has made me proud of GM. The fit/finish on the body and interior are good. The ride is excellent considering its very low tech body on frame. The hybrid system works quite well and seems to net us about 18 mpg in our mostly city driving. Comparitively, the Ford Expedition of same year got us 12 mpg so this is a ~30% improvement.

Fix the door locks and its almost worth the hefty price tag. I couldn’t stand the thought of looking at an Odessy or Sienna and thankfully this vehicle has done us well. Ive got faith in GM but I will be renewing the warranty next year.
    edited April 2011
    a2t,
    I’m glad to see that this problem hasn't overwhelmed you and discouraged you with GM. I will be contacting you directly to get some more information from you to see what we can do. Thank you for all of your feedback!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bbechbbech Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2011
    We have a 2009 Suburban that we bought last May 2010 (Certified Used Car). When we first
    looked at the vehicle I noticed that the right rear door lock did not work and told the salesperson. We ended up buying the vehicle a few weeks later and they apparently had fixed it.
    Starting in December the the right rear stopped working, then soon afterwards the front right, and then the rear left. So only the driver's door lock works now. We drive a lot so it was out of the original warrenty and certified used car does not cover it. Currently have 60,000 miles, started going out at 38,000 miles. Finally took it todealer to have it looked at as it is a pain with two kids in car seats to have to roll down the windows to unlock the doors and is dangerous when they do not lock. Anyway, got the estimate and dealer wants $850 to fix the three and got charged $75 to tell me that.

I asked the Service person if they did a lot of this lock repairs and he told me "you are the third one that has came in today." Wow was all I could say.

I think Chevy needs to recall this.
    I have turned it in to the NTSB as a safety issue. They recomend that anyone who has the problem do the same. There are two many of these problems with a too high cost to fix for GM to not help out.
    I also contacted NHTSA to report this problem as I believe it to be a safety issue as well. Here is the contact information and I encourage all to do the same. If you go to their website you can submit an email directly, or if you prefer, call them.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact
    NHTSA Contact Information

NHTSA Headquarters
    1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
    West Building
    Washington, DC 20590

Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153 / Media inquiries: 202-366-9550
    USDOT General Information Main Switchboard (including personnel locator): 202-366-4000 / Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm Eastern, excluding Federal Holidays.
    Please use the toll-free number above to report suspected safety defects in your vehicle, vehicle equipment, and child safety seats. You can also obtain information about air bags, highway safety, and the proper use of child safety seats.
    Remember to always buckle up, never drive when impaired, and ensure that child safety seats are installed and used properly.

Here is my email :

Dear NHTSA :

I own a 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid with 26k miles. The front door lock actuators failed at 12k miles and were replaced under warranty. The rear door lock actuators failed at 25k miles. The faulty door lock actuators prevent locking or unlocking of the doors from the drivers seat. As I have small children, I feel it is a safety issue to drive with unlocked doors. After researching this issue I’ve discovered the problem to be widespread on a number of Chevrolet vehicles. Please reference the following internet forum discussions :

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98284&st=165

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f206d4b/75#MSG75

I suggest the NHTSA look into this issue and mandate the installation of a more reliable door lock actuator. Please let me know how I can be of further assistance in this matter.

FYI - I did receive a call and email from GM regarding my post shortly after making it. The representative who called provided instructions on how to schedule a service visit at the dealer. I already know how to do that, what I was asking for is a FIX to the problem, not merely another faulty replacement door lock actuator. I was contacted again shortly after via email by another representative who said :

Paul,
    The best way to make GM aware is to have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance.
    Either you can call and do this or I can do it for you. Please let me know how you
    would like to proceed.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

I asked her to set up a case for me regarding this, will let you know if anything comes of that … c’mon GM, fix this problem. This truck is great but we need working door locks!

Paul
    Thanks for attaching all of the NHTSA contact information, I should have done that. Hopefully all of those that have the same problem will turn this matter in. If enough people act, it will get taken care of.

I also love the Surburban, in fact it is the third one that I have owned and the others did not have any major problems and I drove the other two for over 200,000 miles. We traded a Toyota Sequia in when we got this new Suburban that had 175,000 miles and it never had one problem and the certified used car warrenty was 100,000 miles bumper to bumper. We decided to give the suburban another try for the room.
    Just can't really stomach paying $1,000 to have the door locks fixed.
  • kgutzke1kgutzke1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I just got back from my dealership - to have my door lock fixed (twice now). Luckily I'm under 36,000 miles. GM definitely has an issue that should be taken care of. May I suggest some type letter to all owners stating that GM will take care of these locks up until 72,000 miles --- or else replace all locks with something DECENT! Other than that - I love my 2008 Tahoe (except the overdesigned auto temp control). PLEASE give us basic slide controls on the higher end models. I need simplicity - not confusion. :)
    Glad it was at least repaired under warranty. I received a email back from NHTSA saying they are looking into it. Will update when I hear more.

GM reps : do you have anything to report to us regarding switching to more reliable door lock actuators yet ?

RE : auto climate control – I think its kind of nice, whats difficult to understand ? Set it to temp, chose A/c or no, Aux (rear) or no, pretty simple (when its working correctly). No ones doing slide cables anymore, but yes those are simple to work with. You might need to step back a few decades (or a few more decades if it’s a Mercedes)

Anyone see the latest from consumer reports naming Tahoe hybrid the Worst Vehicle for 2010 ? I can see beating up on it from a price standpoint, the truck is $10K too expensive, but its not a bad vehicle. If fuel hits $5/gal it will make a lot more sense over a 12 mpg Expedition. Hope GM gets the nagging issues taken care of…

Paul
    edited April 2011
    kqutzke1,

If you have not already done so, you should turn it in to the NHTSA using the links in the posts above. It is a short process.
    If anyone has any broken door lock actuators and can send them to me, I want to take a look. We’re thinking about re-designing these. We (GruvenParts.com) specialize more in VW/Audi/BMW stuff (theres plenty of similar junk on those cars). But since I also own a 2008 tahoe hybrid, I might look into a better door lock actuator solution (if GM does what I think GM will do - nothing ) Please email me directly – paul at gruvenparts dot com

Also, here is the repost from earlier where someone posted some repair instructions :

the driver door lock was a little involved however the rear passenger is straight forward , you have to be careful removing the inside door panel, to not break the clips (they are $8 a piece at the dealer here)

15 for $15 through Auveco most parts places carry their Generic Gm oem # for clip is 11519031 auveco # is 20616

anyway I digress the panel is removed by first removing a cover piece behind the door handle use a plastic utensil ,

doesn't scratch, there are two bolts there remove them,

then take off the plastic door lock cap,

pull up on the small tab and then it lifts right off ..

now you can pulloff the interior panel start at the top on both sides and pry off carefully ,

again use a plastic set of tools you can buy a cheapset for a couple of bucks,

as you pull the panel out also pull up because it is hooked over the window sill.

the only thing still attached will be the door handle cable you can either take it off using needle nose pliers to crimp the clip a bit to remove it ,

or you can leave the panel dangling to the side. To get the old lock out undo the 2 screw on the side of the door and then from the inside youcan slide the whole mechanismout enough to see the connections initially and undo them and then slip the entire mechanism out reverse to install new actuator .

the new gm actuator is $230 I found a wrecker who removed them from a 2007 denali for $50 and he offered to install it for another $50 a great deal in retrospect. Don't be intimidated the job sound s more involved then itis . Even for a Gm tech its an hour to hour and half job at over $100 an hour you can save yourself a good chunk of change .... if you have any further questions just ask.....good luck.

Last step : Contact www.safercar.gov to suggest a recall.
    I am not aware of any such information regarding switching door lock actuators at this time. I would be happy to look into such information. In order to so, I will need you to contact me by email with the VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • achappell4achappell4 Member Posts: 1
    All 4 of my door locks went out as well. Took it back to dealer (that we bought it from BRAND NEW) They said that they could fix it but would cost app. $80. each lock. So quess what, I did not get them fixed......I have 4 children and feel that it is a safty hazard...I like my doors to lock when I put it in drive, Such a shame to spend $40,000 on a vehicle and things like that to go out......
    Tricia, GM Customer Service:

Can you advise me on how to set up a case with GM Customer Serivce for this issue?
    Thanks
    Bbech –

You can email socialmedia@gm.com or call Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1- 800-222-1020. They will tell you how to schedule an appt with your local chevy dealer for another round of discrepant lock actuators.

Tricia –

My Case number is 71-940114261. Please look into this issue ASAP and let me know what GM is doing to correct the issue with faulty door lock actuators. You can see by the # of posts on this thread alone that this is a design flaw. What is GM doing about it ? I know it wont happen overnight, but let us know status of your work to rectify this problem.

Paul

PS – if anyone has any of these actuators please let me know, I would like to look at designing a fix myself (email paul at gruvenparts dot com)

front drivers :258-763-86
    front pass :258-763-88
    rear drivers : 207-838-57
    rear pass:207-838-58
    Paul,

The case has been closed, due to unable to make contact with you. Your agent will be contacting you within 24-48 hours. Please keep me posted if the agent has not contacted you.

Thank you,
    bbech,

I would be able to assist in setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance. Could you please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, involved dealership and a brief description of the problems you are experiencing. Also, please include the screen name used on the forum.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
    Caron,

I have e-mailed the information that you asked for.

Thanks.
    bbech,

Thank you, I received your email. I will be setting up the case and will email you directly with the case number.

Thank you,
    a2t,

I have looked into your case and I encourage you to keep working with your agent.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, the GM agent has been merely able to provide instructions for how to bring car into a GM dealer for service. This is of no help to me. I have much better things to do on my saturday than spend 8 hours at the GM service department getting new lock actuators installed that will only work for a few weeks.

I have asked repeatedly if GM will look into FIXING the door lock actuator problem, not merely replacing them with more discprepant lock actuators.

IS GM GOING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM OR NOT !??? Quit dodging this issue.

Paul

>>a2t,

>>I have looked into your case and I encourage you to keep working with >>your agent.

>>Thank you and have a great weekend!
    >>Caron, GM Customer Service
    Paul,

I understand your frustration however I have looked further into your situation and have notified your agent of our interactions. Your agent has been trying to get a hold of you and has been unable to and your case will be closed 5/11/2011. I strongly encourage you to contact your agent as soon as possible.

Thank you,
  • jackinstallerjackinstaller Member Posts: 1
    My Tahoe (42k miles) is going on its 2nd set of door locks. Reported this as Safety issue to the Feds, I think they own alot of GM stock though. Other things, fuel guage, fuel pump, Rear window Defrost cord came off (not good in Minnesota) Steering wheel squeels. I wish I just lived a bit closer to the dealer!
    edited May 2011
    Caron,

Can you give some insight it to how these cases are being handled.

I have been contacted by GM Customer Service (Anderson is the name of the person handling it). I have returned his calls twice and do not get him.
    Today they said he will call back tomorrow.

The person I talked to yesterday and today (Michelle) both state that I have to take the vehicle back to the dealership to have the problem diagnosed. I had the vehicle at the dealership in mid March and they advised that the 3 actuators are broken, which cost me $75 to find out. They have the record of this already. Michelle stated that it has to be diagnosed in the last month. This seems ridicules to me, the problem is the same and I don't think I should have to spend money and time for them to tell me the same thing again, plus that is wasting the dealers time also.
    I told them I would take it back but that I was not going to pay for it. I doubt they would waste the time to pull all of the door panels off again to "diagnose" that they are still broken and did not fix themselves.
    I think GM Customer Service could just verify this with the dealer themselves.

Please look into this and advise.
    Thanks.
    bbech,

I apologize for your frustrations however the vehicle must be diagnosed within the last 30 days. I would encourage you to keep working with your agent to get these issues resolved.

Thank you,
    a2t,

Has GM Customer Assistance actually said that they would pay to replace them? Or are they telling you need to get it diagnosed?

That want me to take it back to the dealer to get it dignosed again. What a waste of time and money. I was charged $79.95 in March to tell me that they were broken. I agreee that they need to get the actuators fixed, but for now I would let them put them in and hope they last a little while. It is a pain and not safe for my wife and children. I have begun looking at other vehicles again.
    Caron,

Thanks for responding. I have been trying but Anderson has not called me back.
    jackinstaller,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your contact information including your mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kudrokudro Member Posts: 2
    Any new updates on what GM is doing regarding the faulty door locks? I own a 2008 Tahoe and had the driver door actuator replaced at around 35000 miles. Now just this week at 52,000 miles the passenger side and rear driver side went out. Just crazy when you pay over $40,000 for a vehicle, and have issues like this. My sister in law owns a 2007 Yukon and had 3 replaced also. Obviously this is an issue and is not just normal wear and tear. If the bill is too high, got to say I don't see mine getting fixed.
    kudro,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have either of you spoke with Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service