Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi,

Sorry you are having problems with your door locks. Luckily you're still within warranty, and under normal circumstances your warranty should cover that issue. Please keep me updated after your visit to the dealer. Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • reallynow1reallynow1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. It has had door lock problems on 3 doors. It was repaired under warranty and a few days after warranty. It has been a major problem! It is a problem again! Each time it happen's the driver side
    back door is always invoked! I have two young granddaughter's I have on most
    days picking up and taking to different activities. The lock on the back door is a safety problem! It stays unlocked when I lock the Tahoe or it locks and we can't use the door! We ride with the door in-locked, dangerous for child, or locked and can not open it. A major concern in a fire or wreck! Seeing all of the folks having
    a problem Chevrolet needs to recall or just fix this problem each time it comes in.....Otherwise do it if it was brought in during warranty!
  • nate2013nate2013 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Suburban. Driver door started acting up intermittently quite a while back. It has gradually worsened and other door locks acting up now too. Went to dealership today and driver door, front passenger door, and rear passenger door all need replaced. Multiple instances of multiple locks failing on the same vehicle indicates a design issue or faulty part, not within the usual expectations of repair for vehicles that are 4-5 years old. Replacement is expensive, especially when you multiply the repair costs by 2, 3, or even 4 repairs!
  • roadmantooroadmantoo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Tahoe and yesterday I astarted having trouble with the door locks. When I hit the button on the keyless entry only the front doors will lock or unlock and even when I use the button on the drivers door the back doors and the tailgate will not unlock. Could this purely be a problem with a bad fuse or transfer circuit? It seems that this Taho has two, one for locking and one for unlocking, but the front doors still work. This is a safety issue I would think because the tailgate can only be opened/unlocked in this way as there is no key hole in the tailgate.
    Hi nate2013,

I can certainly take a look into your issue. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject line. I look forward to hearing from you:-)

Crystal L. - GM Customer Care
  • matschousematschouse Member Posts: 1
    I just recently discovered a problem with our recently acquired Yukon's door locks and see here that it seems to be a more widespread issue. It currently is effecting 3 out of the 4 doors.... the rear passenger door is the only one functioning 'properly'.
    I've seen a lot of questions on this board about is GM going to do anything about this in way of a recall, etc. Well, are they? It seems to me there is a defect that could effect safety in several cases.
  • reallynow1reallynow1 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2008 chevrolet Tahoe in this afternoon! They don't seem to know there is a problem even though previous service came up on their computer screen! I also carried copies! The customer service agent had me wait while four in front of me were taken care of. That would not normally be a problem for me. The ladies and I got into a conversation about the wait. We all had the same guy. There were 2 others customer service agents sitting there doing NOTHING. My turn The Agent says, This will not be covered. You owe $174.44 today. For us to verify if there is a problem." We had just stood out at the Tahoe with him pointing out more lock problems to me. The point GM/ Chevrolet need to official address this PROBLEM! Waiting to see how it all turns out! 731-735 I hope you had it easier and had good results!
  • btaneybtaney Member Posts: 2
    Ive had my Tahoe for less than 2 years (purchased used from dealership) and I've had 3 of the 4 door actuators went bad. The dealership wants to charge in $120 each to just take apart the doors and look at it! What a joke! I've always dreamed of being a Tahoe owner but having these issues and the lack of service from Chevy has been a nightmare. This is just one of the issues I've had. The dash board cracked out of no where by the passengers side airbag and the radio back light burnt out as well. For what I paid for my Tahoe I can't afford the repairs!
  • ralph1172ralph1172 Member Posts: 3
    Hey btaney I feel your pain. I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. My door locks went bad too and received no help either, but I must say if you work with the girls from Chevy that will reply to your post. My dash cracked in almost the exact same spot. After providing my info a district manager contacted me and scheduled an appointment at my local dealer for the service manager to inspect it. A few days later the dist. manager called me and informed me that the service manager ordered a replacement dash and Chevy will cover all the cost. I was kinda shocked, but very satisfied with the outcome. Wish you luck.
    Hi btaney,

Could you please email us at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Amber. We'd like to assist you in seeking some type of resolution with the issue you're having with your door locks.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mpotmpot Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 tahoe with 53,400 miles on it, within the last week I have had three out of four door lock actuators stop working. I thought I would look online to see if anyone else had this problem, Its depressing to see that so any people have had the same issues. I can understand parts failing but when 2,3, & 4 actuators fail at the same time and its obviously a inferior part that should never have been put into a $50,000 vehicle. Now I have to spend $125 for each failed part plus the labor at $100 an hour I am not very happy at this point especially after just spending $500 for another problem. Does anyone know if there is a way to test the actuator to see if it is bad and its not some other issue? Its no wonder people buy Toyota's and honda's :mad:
  • btaneybtaney Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I purchased a used radio online because my current radio's backlight went out. Can someone advise on how to unlock the newly installed radio?
  • ed114ed114 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2008 Tahoe. Even though I only have 26,000 miles on it, it is out of warranty, and of course my rear passenger door lock actuator failed right after the 3 years were up. In the period of time since then, I have seen hundreds and hundreds of posts in this forum and on others from Chevy buyers experiencing the same issue. Well, now it is two years later, and I would have expected Chevrolet to issue a recall for this by now, as it really could be a life safety issue if a child were in the back seat and the door could not be unlocked. But no, nothing has happened so far. So, based solely on this, as it is now time to start looking for a new vehicle, Chevy will not be considered. In fact, as the fleet buyer for an electrical contracting firm, I doubt I will be looking at Chevrolet for our next round of vehicles. Very disappointing, as the the Tahoe is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned (had a 2004 before my current one). And Chevy trucks have performed very well in our corporate fleet. We have an excellent relationship with our local dealer, I speak with the owner directly, but this becomes a matter of principle. I wonder how many others have made the same decision?
  • dlowery693dlowery693 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Avalanche LT that is also having the drivers door lock actuator issue. It only has 26,800 miles on it. It has also picked up a cold start knock which the dealer says is normal. Like others on this thread my bumper to bumper warranty has ran out even though the mileage is low. I am going to Atlanta this weekend and am honestly considering taking the title with me and trading for a RAM.
    Hi dlowery693,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with your dealer about the door lock repair?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • nomorechevysoknomorechevysok Member Posts: 3
    I have the lift door lock issue. Has been this way about 2 years. I emailed the GM customer care people that post on this forum and they are not helpful. The response is: there is no recall, you are not under warranty but I can assist you with finding a dealer. I have to wonder if the poor part is an intentional money making scheme. I have never been a big fan of class action law suits but this is a safety issue when kids in the 3rd row cannot be accessed through the back door if needed in an accident. What is the point in having a SUV if you get your groceries locked in the back and there is not even a way to open it with a key. Chevy/GM should be ashamed.

I am getting rid of my Tahoe and the many issues it has started having since the week it week out of warranty and never buying Chevy/GM again.
  • buzzr1buzzr1 Member Posts: 2
    I spent over $700 on repairing all 4 locks on my 2008 Silverado. Chevy did help on the last 2 locks, charging me $100 per lock. In spite of the help, I am soured on GM and will never buy another GM product. My next truck will be a Ford.
    nomorechevysok,

I do apologize you are experiencing this concern with your Tahoe. Each case is handled on a case by case basis. In order to assist, you would need to get into the dealership so we can fully understand the cause of your concern with a diagnosis. Then the process is to work towards a resolution.
    We are here to be of assistance to our customers. I am sorry if you did not feel helped when you contacted us earlier, and hopefully this will help clarify the way we approach these situations. We look forward to hearing from you, though we understand if you should choose to take a different course of action.

Erica Tiffany
    GM Customer Service
  • greendiseasegreendisease Member Posts: 1
    So I just purchased a 2009 chevy tahoe hybrid with 58000 miles on it and noticed that the passenger side door is not locking or unlocking, like most others posting in this forum. This is my first cheverolet and i'm quite discouraged by all the aparent problems that plague their vehicles. I plan on taking it to the dealership soon, but am sure that without a recall, I will be out of luck. Unfortunately, I'm also cursed with the cracked dash issue.

Jason
    Hi greendisease,

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your Tahoe. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email is socialmedia@gm.com "attn Crystal" in the subject header. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L
    GM Customer Care
    I was told to take my Tahoe to a dealership at my own expense to find out what was wrong with it. It was not under warranty, there was no recalls and GM would not assist in fixing it other than finding me a dealership.

Locating a dealership for me is not assisting me. I am smart enough to look one up, even smarter not to go that route because of the cost involved.

I traded that Tahoe in for a HONDA. I refused to sell it outright to anyone becasue I want to sleop at nigt... so I took a loss. I got trade in value for FAIR condition 7000 for a 2005 loaded Z71 with 137000 miles.

Once again. Rear lift door locked shut, Blower motor resistor out twice (would not shut off after turning car off and had to pull fuse to get blower shut off.. in 20 degree snowstorm) , Fuse constantly blown for Car charger port in front, Air bag sensor light off and on constantly, sometimes feel transmission slip, CD player eats cd's they won't come out and just clicks and won't pay radio, somtimes when turning would make howling noise in steering column.

BYE BYE CHEVY !!!!!!!! WHAT A RELIEF IT IS!!!!!!!!
  • albluealblue Member Posts: 1
    I began having issues similar to those in this thread. Three days ago, when I got in and started my truck, the message center displayed "Driver Door Open". The door was closed completely. Upon further inspection, I realized the driver's door window switches, door lock switch, power mirror remote, and window lock switch weren't working. The radio also stops playing immediately after I switch the truck off, but before the door is opened. All the other window switches seem to be working fine. Also, the keyless remote will not lock or unlock the driver's door. It is as if the truck isn't even recognizing the driver's door. I have checked the fuse box on the dash, immediately inside the driver's door. Are there any other fuses I should look at? If not, what should be my next step? This truck only has 69,000 miles (high for the model, but low for a vehicle in general). I am trying to avoid taking it in to the dealership to pay a couple hundred dollars for a $50 fix.
    alblue,
    We understand that you're looking for alternatives to visiting the dealership right now and completely understand. Keep us posted if you do decide to visit as we want to do all we can to make sure things are resolved. We can be contacted via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah
    GM Customer Care
  • highlandrangerhighlandranger Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issues with my 2008 Tahoe LTZ.

Drivers door first then the others went one by one. Dealer wanted $400/lock to replace. I wound up buying parts and replacing all four myself. Can get them online from GM Parts Direct for about $125 each.

Has GM acknowledged that these locks were defective?
  • texmomtexmom Member Posts: 3
    This is a thank you to Crystal with GM Social Media who fields all the complaints and problems posted on Edmunds with grace. We recently spoke via email and took our Denali into our local dealer who acknowledged the problem with the locks and charged us the deductible on our warranty ($100) to fix all four door locks, even though only three weren't working. Previously, we were looking at a $2000 repair, so this was a huge relief. I can't tell you what a sense of security we have now and wanted to express my gratitude to you here on this forum. Thank you Crystal for bird-dogging this for me and countless others, and thank you GM for handling this problem.
  • txomstxoms Member Posts: 1
    I'm another customer with the common issue of the actuators going out on my 2008 Tahoe. Curious to how many of these issues are actually being resolved by GM dealerships? We recently had a child and although the power locks are a luxury, this also becomes a safety issue. A vehicle with an original asking price of over $50,000 should never have this issue. I really don't understand why these were never recalled and I also understand that the motors for the locks are cheaply made and from China (saw pictures of the locks broken down). Any help available?
  • hufnagelhufnagel Member Posts: 3
    From your message, you state you are under warranty, so why wouldn't you expect them to be fixed, they did wave your deductible, that is big of them. The real issue is all the people that have broken locks, that are out of warranty, and gm does not feel responsible to repair. Their only answer is to go to a dealer and pay 100.00 so they will take a report, and WILL NOT fix. GM has figured a way to get their dealers extra money, and do nothing. I have had 4 chevy silverados, and this is my second , and LAST suburban. I think it is a real shame, a company can take money from us to save them, and then turn around and put cheap parts from china, that they will not stand behind. Good luck on your future sales, you are loosing alot of you previously loyal base.
  • jfkenneyjfkenney Member Posts: 1
    Took my Tahoe into the dealer today for two bad door locks. Need to have both on on passenger side replaced at $400 per actuator, (parts + labor). Already had the drivers side front replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, I do not have the mechanical skills to save money like some of you do so I am going to have to eat this problem. I wonder how much the actuators actually cost GM. Dealer told me that they are charged $180 for the part.

I own an aircraft so I am used to egregious charges for parts, but this one definitely takes the cake. I like my Tahoe a lot, but if this is an ongoing problem related to cheap parts that GM knows about I am going to seriously re-think ever owning one again.
    That GM Generic message is old and nauseating. You will get the same BS if you aren't under warranty. "We will assist you in finding a dealership" Yes, a dealership that will charge you and arm and a leg to tell you an UNGODLY amount to fix your locks and non of it will be covered if you are out of warranty.

Amber... Is our PERSONAL SECURITY really important to GM or is that just pertaining to our email addresses?
    We do work to assist our customers as best we can. There is no guarantee that we will be able to provide any cost assistance, but we do work with the dealership to deliver a satisfactory resolution to the customer.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • chandlerbchandlerb Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same problems with the passenger side front door lock, it will not lock or unlock, it moves a little, but wont fully work. I have less than 25k on my truck but I purchased it in 2009 (constantly deployed, never get to drive it). Has there been a recall or technical bulletin? Is it the actuator that's causing this problem? Just need some clarification, most talk about the problem but don't say what exactly is the problem, mainly discussing the
    GM recall option. Please help. VIN: 1GNFK33079J125979 2009 CHEVY TAHOE 4WD LTZ
    Hi chandlerb,

Thank you for providing your information. There are not any recalls listed that highlight your specific concern. You may need to go into the dealership to have them take a look at it. If you have any additional questions please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • user_not_knownuser_not_known Member Posts: 1
    Both lock actuators on the passenger side of my 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid failed very early on and were replaced under warranty, I should have insisted that the other two be replaced as well because they failed just after the warranty expired(I purchased this car new for over 50K). The dealer wanted $700 to fix them. This is utterly ridiculous for a well known safety defect that puts my children at risk. Due to the door not locking my 4 small children could fall out, I could be carjacked or my vehicle could be targeted for theft. This defect is caused by using inferior parts. The door actuators in my vehicle are stamped "MADE IN CHINA"(way to keep America workers working) and have the crappiest little electric motor in them I have ever seen, it looks like a children’s toy.(they supposedly changed to a higher quality design in 2011).
    I contacted GM about this serious safety defect and they gave me the run around for weeks before finally offering a 30% discount, are you serious? Thanks for nothing. Luckily I am mechanically inclined and can easily replace this part, the replacement part is about $115 (online) and it literally takes 15 minutes to install, it's quite easy. I wanted GM to step up to the plate and take responsibility for this safety issue but they chose not to. This will make my car buying decisions easier in the future because I love this car but I love my family more.
    Since I could easily fix this issue myself, Asking GM to address this was more of an exercise of faith, to see if GM would do the right thing, their response lets me know where they stand on customer safety.
  • hwhitakerhwhitaker Member Posts: 2
    This is a joke, I just got my 4th and final door actuator replaced at 330 bucks on my Tahoe. Only good thing is my truck only has 4 doors,lol. You think by now this would be recalled by GM, knowing these CHINA made parts are faulty, so much for trying to buy American, my first door actuator was covered under warrenty thank god but the other 3 not so lucky, actually had a friend who was mechanic get 2 of them for me at 120 each and install them, its funny that chevy charges me 330 bucks for a 15 min job, probably less then that seeing they should be pros by now since they replaced thousands already, so what we gotta do to get this recalled or file a class action lawsuit to get our money refunded.
  • hwhitakerhwhitaker Member Posts: 2
    Same problem here, my chevy mechanic even told me it wont get recalled their making 300- 400 apop off these for 15 minute job and they know people with pay it to have it fixed, someone need to find out how we start a class action lawsuit against GM, my next truck will be a Ford.
  • big02big02 Member Posts: 3
    Lock #1 failure was under warranty. #2 failure was fixed for free but I was just above warranty miles limit. When my third lock expired with about 49k miles #3 was out of warranty but customer rep. @ GM told me a $200 deductible applied to #3. Rep. called dealer a made an appointment for me. I took it in and they fixed it for $200. Picked up the truck and drove 4 miles home and parked in the garage. Without getting out of the truck I tried the locks and wouldn't you know it, #4 was dead, dead, dead. These experiences might drive a weaker person to just close the door and leave the engine running! Instead I called the dealership and they said to bring it back and they fixed #4 under the same work order and without another deductible!.

Why isn't Sarah or Christal at GM telling people about the $200 deductible? What about it Sarah/Christal? gmcustsvc
  • trishntravtrishntrav Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Suburban in July 2011. Shortly after we purchased the vehicle 3 of the doors locks have stopped functioning completely, the 4th door works sporadically (driver side, passenger). The locks do not work at all with the keyless entry nor the main lock button from the driver side door. I have been told that it is a problem with the lock actuators malfunctioning and that it is also a well known issue from various dealers and per my research on the internet. In order to unlock the doors, I must manually use the key to unlock the driver side door then unlock all the other doors by hand one by one. Then we must lock all doors manually after entering because the locks also do not lock automatically when you take the car out of the park position. Although the power locks are a luxury, this also becomes a safety issue. A vehicle with an original asking price of over $55,000 should never have this issue and I'm not sure why Chevrolet fails to take action for a clear safety danger. As a mother of 3 children I find this to be a very serious safety issue. A child could easily open the door and fall out of the moving vehicle or if we were involved in a car accident any one of my family members (adult or child) could potentially be ejected from the vehicle, causing either serious injury or worse!! I realize the child safety locks can be activated to keep a child from opening the door accidentally, but that will not prevent a thief or anyone else for that matter from jumping in and stealing the car or kidnapping a child.
  • ed114ed114 Member Posts: 3
    I honestly can't believe Chevrolet has not made this right. As a fleet buyer for my company, I refuse to purchase any more Chevrolet trucks until this is resolved. To make matters worse- I was recently the victim of a theft from my 2008 Tahoe, as it appears a passenger manually unlocked one of the rear doors that does not have a working actuator, and of course when I used my keyfob to lock the vehicle, that door did not lock. Someone helped themselves to my laptop and briefcase without even having to break in! Shame on you, Chevrolet...
  • unhappycheveunhappycheve Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar story. I previously bought a new 2008 Tahoe and loved it. I traded it two years ago to Save gas and downsized to the equinox. Traded back a couple of months ago to the 09 Tahoe hybrid. Love the new one but now it's becoming a money pit. I tried to buy from my local Chevrolet dealer but they never found what I wanted. I was picky, color, features, etc. The Chrysler deal in town found mine on an online auction at billion autos in Iowa city, Iowa.they bought it for me. The other dealer listed that everything worked. The Chrysler dealer charged me $1000 to check it over. Now that its been a couple of months I have realized that 3 doors don't lock and after reading the blogs, it's pretty common. I thought the doors just weren't programmed correctly. I had the starter battery go out this week and it locked up the hybrid battery. I had the chèvre dealer tow it from my house, 10 minutes away, replace the battery, and reset the computer to unlock the hybrid battery. All for over $300. While in the shop I asked them show me how to lock my car. They said the actuators are out on 3 doors. No recall. I called 800 cheve. Talked to Vickie. They won't do anything because I bought it from Chrysler. It is a cheve product! It had 69,ooo miles when I bought and now has 75,000, so no warranty. Their dealer didn't find my car so I'm being punished. My equinox doors did the same thing just before I traded it for the 09 Tahoe. This is not a coincidence. The dealership wants $1500 to repair 3 doors. That still leaves one door to go. Now I read on here that you can buy the actuator online for $115 . That is the part that's broken according to cheve. We have a business that wee buy cheve vehicles for. Currently we own 4 cheve's and a ford. Now my 15 year old needs a car. Cheve's loss! Buyers beware!
  • unhappycheveunhappycheve Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar story. I previously bought a new 2008 Tahoe and loved it. I traded it two years ago to Save gas and downsized to the equinox. Traded back a couple of months ago to the 09 Tahoe hybrid. Love the new one but now it's becoming a money pit. I tried to buy from my local Chevrolet dealer but they never found what I wanted. I was picky, color, features, etc. The Chrysler deal in town found mine on an online auction at billion autos in Iowa city, Iowa.they bought it for me. The other dealer listed that everything worked. The Chrysler dealer charged me $1000 to check it over. Now that its been a couple of months I have realized that 3 doors don't lock and after reading the blogs, it's pretty common. I thought the doors just weren't programmed correctly. I had the starter battery go out this week and it locked up the hybrid battery. I had the chèvre dealer tow it from my house, 10 minutes away, replace the battery, and reset the computer to unlock the hybrid battery. All for over $300. While in the shop I asked them show me how to lock my car. They said the actuators are out on 3 doors. No recall. I called 800 cheve. Talked to Vickie. They won't do anything because I bought it from Chrysler. It is a cheve product! It had 69,ooo miles when I bought and now has 75,000, so no warranty. Their dealer didn't find my car so I'm being punished. My equinox doors did the same thing just before I traded it for the 09 Tahoe. This is not a coincidence. The dealership wants $1500 to repair 3 doors. That still leaves one door to go. Now I read on here that you can buy the actuator online for $115 . That is the part that's broken according to cheve. We have a business that wee buy cheve vehicles for. Currently we own 4 cheve's and a ford. Now my 15 year old needs a car. Cheve's loss! Buyers beware!
  • mjl0204mjl0204 Member Posts: 2
    I too have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ Flex Fuel. I can honestly say it will be THE LAST Chevy I EVER buy!! To date I have owned nothing BUT Chevys from the time I was 16 and I'm now 48. I have had my actuators fail many many times and have spent countless hours and thousands of dollars to get them fixed!!!
    I was offered compensation in the for of free oil changes for 3 years and EVERY time I went to the dealership I was turned away as if I were a fraud!! I don't have time to deal with this any more. It is a shame because I ALWAYS spoke highly of Chevy and even have them advertised for FREE on my BASS boat.
    But I'm done, and I encourage you to be done as well. Obviously they don't care about the customer post sale. I always bought Chevy because my father bought Chevy but this is one legacy I will NOT be passing down to my children. It ends with me and it ends with this vehicle!! So long Chevy, you really blew this one!! I know you don't care, I'm just one customer, but I will be sure to be a non-promoter going forward. You don't know what customer service really means!! I will be buying Ford in the Future.
  • dabadaba Member Posts: 2
    Checked in after a year and a half and people still having problems with no recall from gm. I'm still driving with my lock broken.
  • a2ta2t Member Posts: 21
    Look on greenhybrid.com forum for the repair details in this thread :

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f69/tahoe-door-lock-actuator-problem-solution- -27064/index3.html#post249087

GM isnt going to solve this issue, they are still hoping the internet cord gets kicked out of the wall ....
  • dezertrattdezertratt Member Posts: 1
    I must be the 10,000th person with this same issue. All 4 doors open with the key FOB, however the rear door is stuck LOCKED. I filed a complaint with US Department of Transportation after calling Chevrolet Customer Service-and being told this was my problem, not theirs. Very rude "customer service" woman who could have cared less that I have NO way to get third row dassengers out in the event of an accident, fire, etc. My family has owned Chevrolets for decades, but this will be the last for any of us. I cannot believe that Chevrolet will not recall this issue...thousands of posts out there not only for Tahoe but also Yukon and others. NO KEY HOLE to use a standard key to open the tail gate or window, no interior handle to open the tailgate either. I don't have $500 to go to the dealership to fix this obviously DEFECTIVE part...shame on Chevrolet for hanging all of us out to dry! PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT, it is the ONLY way we have any chance of Chevrolet doing what is RIGHT for all of us, this is a serious safety issue. THE LINK IS HERE TO FILE A COMPLAINT and read others already filed: http://www.safercar.gov/
    Did you read the post above about the repair? It solves the problem for $60. GM isn't going to fix this, that why this thread is nearing 1,000 posts. The gov'ment isn't going to solve it either. You are better of doing the $60 repair and moving on with life (and dealing with the cracking dash issue). Otherwise, they are decent trucks.
    Hello,

I am sorry that you feel that you did not have the best customer service experience. You can always inform us of your concerns by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com

Sincerely,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care
    edited July 2013
    Jennifer, you just read her concerns . If you didn't get it the first 775 times, the GM lock actuators are rubbish. GM used a sub par cheap electric motor which shorts out very quickly. See the repair link in post 773 referencing the gruvenparts.com repair above for pictures of GM elec motors failed.

Either offer a solution or quit posting. This whole thing is unbelievable. $50k trucks having such a stupid problem, and GM's total lack of acknowledgement of their fault.

How many multi GM owners have already vowed to never buy GM products again, just on this thread? What more does GM need to hear?

The Internet is not going away, the cat is not going back in the bag. Issue the recall, solve the problem, and move keep your long term loyal customers.
  • gramparongramparon Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I'm trying to remain calm and objective as I write this. It could go south quickly. The third door lock on our '09 Tahoe became inoperable about an hour ago just north of Dallas Cowboy stadium and this time it's the driver's door.

Initially our dealership jumped on the first door problem and repaired it quickly, with their usual smile and extraordinary customer satisfaction. Really. Being honest, they told us the door would likely malfunction again and it was likely all or some of the other doors would cease to unlock. They were right. The malfunctioning doors are, of course, out of warranty. That's $1,200 that I must pay to repair a known product defect in 3 doors including the door which was repaired first.

It's going to take an unspeakable human disaster to garner the attention this problem deserves. I have three grand children who will no longer be riding in this Tahoe.
    Remain calm. There is a simple repair that takes care of this issue, see this thread :

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f69/tahoe-door-lock-actuator-problem-solution- - -27064/index3.html#post249087

These are decent trucks, aside from this issue (and the cracking dash issue). I really have no idea why GM is handling the fault like this. Merely throwing bots like "Jennifer T" at it with social media, giving scripted, useless responses, and then hoping the internet gets turned off somehow. It isnt working, GM.

And you are right, GM should recall the trucks. I have about 50 of these actuator units in my shop right now, I already posted pictures of what the motors look like that came out of the units. They are completely burned up due to incorrect brush material used in the electric motor. Some look like they caught on fire inside the door. GM knows all this, they probably have thousands of dead actuators at the Tech Center in Warren, MI by now from all the warranty work at dealers.

Ok Ive ranted long enough, "Jennifer T", please give us your scripted, useless response.