Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord EXL V6 Keep it or let it go before problems arise

mathewjmathewj Member Posts: 2
Hello all,

So in reading through a number of posts on this board I get the sense that the 2008 Accord EXL V6 Auto is prone to be problematic, already we have experienced a number of minor issues (rattles, paint, tires, something underneath bending, and brakes)...

We recently with less than 20K miles had to replace the rear break pads and now I learn that this was part of a class action suit and should be covered by a TSB (I emailed the dealership tonight and will be calling them Monday) not to mention the front brakes are still squeaking pretty badly.

The sad thing is we moved into a honda from my old Ford Contour SVT because of the reported reliability and build quality however it seems if anything this is worse.

Now we wonder if it is worth it to stick it out or seriously think about dumping it while we can still get back something of our money into the car and move into something else (either a Hyundai Genesis, Acura TSX, or something preowned that is nicer)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I would let it go. It is not worth your peace of mind to continue with it. My experience has been that, when you have this many things wrong on the front end of ownership, you should let it go. I have an '05 Accord EX-L with 95,000 miles. I have never had any problem with it--none. After reading on this board about the 2008 forward, I would not buy another Honda. Look at the Ford Fusion as you list cars that you want. I looked in the spring issue of Consumer Reports and I could not believe the service record of these vehicles. As a result, I bought a 2008 Fusion as an additional car.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    So, what would you buy if you let your Honda go?

Hondas aren't immune to problems but they are one of the most reliable cars on the road.

People flock to these boards to complain and problems get grossly overblown in forums like this.

The only problem that I've heard of that you mention is premature wearing of the rear brake pads and they have a fix for this now.
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Isell, do the 2010s have the fix already, or are they being manufactured with the old pads?

And, I agree with you. The problems do get ridiculously blown out of proportion on these forums, and folks need to be careful to take the site for what it is worth. The credibility of some of the things in the posts can be seriously questioned. Just my opinion.

Thanks! :)
    " Seriously questioned"...Yes, big time!

The 2010's don't have this problem as I understand things.

I think it was limited to the 2008's and not all of those were affected.
  • dlitedlite Member Posts: 12
    Actually, affected model years include 2008, 2009, 2010.
    Honda did not even recall it voluntarily. They did it because of the class action.
    Honda is very slow at taking action to address consumer complaints. This is just one of the example.

http://www.girardgibbs.com/hondabrakes.asp?_kk=honda%20accord%20brake%20problems- &_kt=72b8cce1-0fe8-4f4f-88b8-55662de96fbb&gclid=CPiPpoG2ip0CFUdM5QodLVRm2Q
    edited April 2010
    I had planned to buy another Honda, but after reading on this board it will be a Ford Fusion. Look at the service ratings on the Fusion in the new issue of Consumer Reports.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You should, most definitely, buy the vehicle that you're most interested in, and the vehicle with reviews, etc., that speak to your wants & needs in a vehicle. The only comment I have to add is to take compliments & complaints with a grain of salt - we have piles & piles of "problems" reports in these forums on just about every vehicle out there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

No matter what make or model people will always complain.

Your Ford wont' be without it's detractors.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Your Ford wont' be without it's detractors."

I can tell you that there is alot of complaining on this Accord forum but there is an equal amount of people discounting the complaints. All you need to do is look at the Fusion forum and look for complaints and look here and compare. I did that 5 months ago and now own a 2010 Fusion and have had 7500 trouble free miles which is more than I got out of my 08 Accord.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    edited May 2010
    OK, temi12
    First, in post #3 you say you bought a 2008 Fusion.

As a result, I bought a 2008 Fusion as an additional car.

Then, in post #8 (5 posts later) you say you will buy a Ford Fusion.

I had planned to buy another Honda, but after reading on this board it will be a Ford Fusion.

So, which is it? you did? or you will? How are we to believe anything you say, if you don't even know if you have a Fusion, or not? :confuse:
    There are complaints about any car. Some people like to complain, and some have the misfortune of buying the only lemon on the new car lot. I have an 03 V6 Accord. If you look around, on this and other forums, you will find many complaints about this model. Anything from transmissions, seats, rear brakes, windshield, road noise, harsh ride, and anything else you can think of. My car has, however, been fantastic, and I have spent $0.00 on repairs to this point. Maybe I'm just lucky, and I keep buying one of the good ones? Maybe one day I will find a lemon Accord, but until I do, I am betting my money on them.
  • steveg64steveg64 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 08 Accord ex-l V6 and have gone 30,000 trouble free miles. A well maintained Honda will easily go 300,000 miles.
    Man, you have a smart mouth! I am going to buy a new Fusion to go with the 2008 I just bought. That will equal two cars, since there are two of us in the family--a husband and wife. You can believe what you want. I don't really care!
    Man, you have a smart mouth! I am going to buy a new Fusion

Excuse me? :confuse: Not being smart mouthed, just wondering what the truth is. You said you already had an 08 Fusion.
  • the_roosterthe_rooster Member Posts: 1
    The only thing is that in a few years... your ford will be with about 39% of its value (with expected miles)... a Honda will retain about 58% of its value... thats only about a 4k difference in value over three years...the proof is in the pudding... resale on accords is huge and it is not even the best at retaining its value in our line up... and to say a ford can even wave a stick at a honda is just a ridiculous statement... for any smart consumer that looks at purchase as an investment a honda is the smartest choice.. and every car has its problems they are not made by god himself
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The only thing is that in a few years... your ford will be with about 39% of its value (with expected miles)

I'd love to know what you're citing, specifically. Mind sharing that?

resale on accords is huge and it is not even the best at retaining its value in our line up

What dealership are you from?

and to say a ford can even wave a stick at a honda is just a ridiculous statement...

Something here's ridiculous, that's for sure.
    "... for any smart consumer that looks at purchase as an investment..."

The purchase of a car is not an investment. No matter what car you buy (Ford, Honda or Lamborghini), you are purchasing a depreciating asset. ;)
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "your ford will be with about 39% of its value"

I will tell you that when I traded my 08 Accord LX in for a Ford Fusion I was amazed at how much they gave me ($17,000) for a trade in. Hell I only paid $19,400 before taxes and fees for that Accord brand new. On the other hand I hope I do not hate my Fusion so bad that I trade it in with 23,000 miles like I did that Accord. So far I still love my fusion (6 months 6750 miles) I think that Honda is in a slump right now with the Accord so maybe they read these threads and will do some great things in the future.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This is economics 101! A "smart consumer" would understand that an investment implies that one anticipates reaping a profit. With vehicles, it's almost always a loss. With a standard, mass-market sedan, you're guaranteed to take a loss.

What would be a mistake is for Honda to discount Ford as a strong competitor. More & more consumers are considering and purchasing Ford these days... a simple glance at sales numbers is a good indicator.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well put, Kirstie! I couldn't agree more!!! :shades:
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    ""More & more consumers are considering and purchasing Ford these days... a simple glance at sales numbers is a good indicator"""

Ford has waited a long time for this day in the sun, who knows how long it will be before the clouds roll back in.
  • joshsimsjoshsims Member Posts: 4
    That really sucks. The sad truth is that any other Honda model or year would probably not have these defections. I would definitely try to get a piece of that class action suit, you are certainly as eligible as anybody else. Good luck.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    +1. My bass boat towing,2002 EXL V6 runs Like new at 127,000 miles. Only repair was 2 motor mounts replaced. The fewer depreciating assets you acquire over you lifespan the more Money you will have at the end of your life. Keep the car you have.