Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Kia Sportage

Comments

• ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    edited July 2010
    Don't be suckered. This is known as the "trash the other vehicle in order to get you to buy THIS vehicle" ploy. The other vehicle could be a competitor's, or anything else the the salesdouche can't make money on at the moment - like his own line's future vehicle that's months away. I would politely go to the sales manager there and request another salesperson. If he asks why, tell him what his employee told you. Or, find another dealer.

I've personally owned 3 turbocharged cars, the first one in the 80's. I bought them all used, with > 50,000 miles on them. I had zero turbo or turbo-related problems with any of them. I did use synthetic oil, and have on all my vehicles since 1987.

Direct Fuel Injection is not quite mainstream in the US, but with major-brand gasoline, and proper maintenance of things like fuel filters, there's no reason to fear any problems from DFI. I believe most cars will have this as standard in the next few years, to meet the recently upgraded fuel economy standards.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Thank you for the information and this is good to know. I will be taking a good look at the turbo Sportage when it comes out in a few months plus will be reading the reports on the Sonota turbo since it's the same engine!

Expect DFI and turbos will be the future since it does not look like the US will accept diesels!
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Diesel acceptance is related to fuel availability. Europe has better diesel fuel, and you need good fuel for long life. I looked at the VW Jetta Diesel, and almost bought it. Waiting for the Tiguan to get the Diesel now.

The Kia Sportage is related to the Hyundai Tucson. I haven't heard that the Tucson is getting the 2.0 Turbo - I think that's exclusive to the Sonata at Hyundai. I'm considering the Sportage, but don't need the Turbo. Just in a holding pattern for now...

Hope it turns out that it drives a good as it looks.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    I had the opportunity to take a close look at the EX Sportage today at my local dealer - very nice. Also took lots of pictures, but didn't get the chance to take it for a drive.
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    I also saw a new EX AWD at my dealer today as well. Well finished interior and spacious enough for me. I am still waiting for the 2.0T though.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited July 2010

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• radiowcradiowc Member Posts: 16
    Looking at this pic, it must be the European version that you have. Does the side signal indicator mirror power operated? Too bad, over here in US, you have to fold it yourself. I really like this Sportage...looks very awesome. I went to the Kia showroom near the place where i work, and it just arrived 4 hours ago. Even the salesman doesn't know much abt this car, and i have to tell him what his car have or not. hahahah.
    Also when asked abt the Turbo version, The Manager also don't even know it exist, hahaha. Kia should educated their dealer more. LOL.

Anyway...nice car. I will wait for the Turbo version, hopefully by Jan 2011 it will arrived. :)
    Hi,

Anyone came across how the new Kia Sportage 2011 Turbo pictures leak?? or also how different does it will be compare to the existing LX or EX like spec, options, etc.

If not sure it is worth of waiting, unless we want the Turbo engine. :confuse:
    how did you post this picture on this forum? It's not user friendly compared to other ones, I just can't figure it out. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    To add a photo to your Forum post, first click the “Img” button beneath the text box; this inserts the beginning of the standard HTML tag for an image. Next, add the URL of the photo, e.g. http://url-location/photo.jpg (Note: the photo needs to have been uploaded to a Web site, such as your personal CarSpace page, or to a photo hosting service in order to have a URL.) Finally, click the “Img” button again to insert the end of the standard HTML tag for an image. When you post your message, the photo will be included.

Please note that very large photos (dimensions or file size) may cause our pages to render poorly and will be removed by the host.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    edited July 2010

Thanks Host, but I still think it could be much easier designed.

The tray lifts out to access the spare.

Drivers power seat with lumbar adjustment standard on the EX Cdn model. Canadian models are not equipped the same as US models. Standard on all Canadian models are fog lamps, heated front seats, heated outside mirrors, front and rear mud flaps, windshield wiper de-icer, side mirror indicator lights, floor mats, privacy glass. Also roof rails are standard on all except the base manual model. Usually a lot of this is in different packages in the US.
    if your picture is large you can first put it in your pictures on your Carspace page here on Edmunds. That's what I do if I know the picture is gonna be too big to post here on Edmunds. After putting it on your Carspace page you can just copy it's url and paste it in here, it's easy. Then highlight the url and click on Img down below.

Edmunds has become one of my favorite car sites to post pictures on, if not my favorite, especially when I learned I could put them down in my Carspace page-it has an automatic "trimmer" for you. :D

thanks, the site HOST gave me the details, now I'm starting to get the hang of it. However, on other sites you have the option of posting direct from your computer.

the storage area of the EX Cdn model. The cargo cover and luggage net are standard on this model. In the plastic bag are the carpeted floor mats which are standard on all models.

You can see the front and rear mud flaps which are standard on all models in Canada, also the EX comes standard with rear parking sonar. You can see the standard 17" alloys. The 18" alloys comes standard with the EX-Luxury model in Canada (which is the rim that you have generally seen on all the Sportage photographs).
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    No pics yet. But I've read an article on insideline.com that Sportage SX (turbocharged 2.0L with 270hp) will arrive in January 2011.

I really like the look of the new Sportage over the Hyundai Tucson. But I prefer the license plate on the tailgate like the Tucson. There is too much open space on the tailgate of the new Sportage, plus a lack of third quarter windows.
    Thanks... me too, I am really looking forward for the Sportage SX too. I think the existing 176hp is not really strong as compare to others similar cuv with the same in-line four cylinders like Chevy Equinox, GMC terrain, etc. They all get at least close to 200hp.

Of course if you talked about pricing and value, Sportage/Tuscon beat them all.

Have to wait until Jan 2011, it likes 5 years to me ...LOL!

Another reason why I am waiting for the SX cos my friend got an RDX with turbo 2.3 with 240hp SH-AWD with basic option which cost him abt 34K running premium gas. I want to tell/show him that we can get 270hp with all those goodie and yet dont have to pay 34K for it, LOL :P
    edited July 2010
    Missing button on US model? I guess this is for the automatic folding of the side mirror right?

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think I like the rims in this photo better.
    I think the existing 176hp is not really strong as compare to others similar cuv with the same in-line four cylinders like Chevy Equinox, GMC terrain, etc. They all get at least close to 200hp

don't underrate the 2.4L you need to check out the weights of the Equinox and Terrain (3761 - 4203 lbs) with a base 2.4L engine at 182hp. The Sportage maybe 176hp but its weight is 3157 - 3488 lbs. I drive a Rondo with a 2.4L that weighs slightly more than the Sportage and its the previous version with less hp, but its plenty of power for me.
    The previous Sportage had a 2.7L V6 which produced 173hp, so I would say quite an improvement and much improved gas mileage too.

Tucson is going in the opposite direction, their 2011 model is now being offered with a 2.0L with 165hp and 5 speed transmission, with a lower base price.
    I think you are right, the weights of Sportage will compliment it hp due to it is lighter compare to those Chevy and Terrain. Thanks, i never noticed that... good catch. :)

I will go for a test drive this weekend and will report back how it feel.
    Anyone know what is the 0-60miles in second?? I heard it is abt 9s???
    Hello All

I forgot to ask, those who bought their 2011 sportage now...do they get free upgrades to UVO when it comes out? or You are on your own??

Anyone?
    Why would you expect to get it free? Hyundai and Kia have made changes or made options available "midyear" in the past and to my knowledge they have not offered any of those things free to buyers of earlier production models. Now if it was a safety related item that could be different.
    Thanks for the comments. :)
    Hi

As promised, here is my first test drive of the Kia Sportage LX FWD over the weekend. This one with Nav and backup camera. My first impression, I thought this could be a so so car, but when i start to drive around the city and highway...WOw! it is really impressive. It really match those V6 engine SUV that i drove. I really like the feel and the looks of this car in person :) I play around with the auto gear shifting....it is really fun to drive.

Here are the list i think it is lack off / down side / dislike;
    - The side mirror kind of small, especially it is pointed at the corner of the mirror and make it looks even smaller to see.
    - The back mirror is also small, but if you have backup camera, then it will be a plus, cos when i try to test the reverse parking, it is kind of difficult without the camera because of the wide body and small windows at the back, but with the camera it is easy.
    - The armrest console is too simple, instead of having a few level of compartment or partioning like other suv i drove to put your stuff.

My major concern, (more like a safety issue) the "push/start" button. since i never used this before. When we test it during while at the "D" gear...i purposely press the "push/start" button...and the suv engine "STOP" completely???? huhhh????? WHat??? This is very scary... anyone try that??? Or it is how it work? I asked the salesman, he also not sure and he told me, he will check with his mechanic. WOW!

Other than the above, i will give it 7.5/10 scores, else i will give 9/10. I will go back to test drive the AWD hopely next week they will be able to get the EX with AWD sportage that i want. if everything goes well, i would probably get it the price is right :)

Hope anyone who test drove it or owned one, please leave comments or your feed back rather than just review feedback from the journalist review with i always don't trust them. :)
    edited August 2010
    but this has got to be about the best looking SUV I've ever seen. My wife and I owned a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 and it was solid and built like a tank, yet it was still fun to drive with the 5-speed stick. But Kia has progressed to being more of a world-class automobile manufacturer since 2001 and this new Sportage is in a class above the old "Jeep/Army" looking Sportage that we enjoyed. Got ta tell you guys this new 2011 Kia Sportage is a real knockout.

2011 Kia Sportage

Being a good fan of Mitsubishi as well as Kia, this is my other favorite SUV offered to consumers at this date.

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

I'm trying to understand your explanation of the ENGINE START/STOP button. Are you saying the vehicle was in motion in the Drive position when you push the button :confuse: Why would you do such a thing? That's like turning the key off while you are driving!
    You said the engined stopped when you did this and was scary - wouldn't it have been more scary if it didn't shut off?
    If you are not familiar with how it works, why would you try something like that on a test drive without first reading about it in the owners manual or knowing full well what the consequences would be (its covered from page 5/7 in the manual which you can download from KGIS). "In an emergency situation while the vehicle is in motion, you are able to turn the engine off and to the ACC postion by pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button for more than 2 seconds or 3 times successively within 3 seconds."
    Hi!

Yes I did that when the suv is in motion and in "D", the reason why I pressed the "Start/Stop" button cos i want to know how easy it is to kill the engine. And by testing, it is just by one very soft touch of the button and the Engine shut off completely, rather that I have to pressed down the button couples of second to kill the engine. Just like like when you try to power down your laptop. That just surprising. Well for me, definately i wont do that. Also it is not as easy as conventional key where you have to actually have to turn the key before you can do that.

The reason why i said that, because you never know, some front passenger side idiot friend with itchy fingers/hands or drunk passenger might press that button for you without you knowing or by accident. then it may cause accident.

Anyway....Thanks for providing me more info on the "ENGINE Start/Stop" function and show me the exact pages :) This is really very useful information for me since i never had those function before. Hahaha as usual, people always afraid to try new thing.. I guess this is just me :p

After reading the manual, that is good... it resolved my concern now. :)

I love this forum :)
    Hello Sportage Owners,

Hope you can share with us, how much did you pay for your KIA Sportage 2011?
    like the trim level, package(s) you pick? Did you pay below, or above your MSRP? or the sticker prices on the windows :)

Thanks
    Finally Kia Sportage lived up to it name... thanks to Peter Schreyer. :)
    Anyone know or notice? I saw some of the video on youtube, it said the AWD only available in Dec 2010 in US?????? WHAT!!!! can someone help confirmed that? Pleaaeeeeeeeeee :confuse:
  • ianobleianoble Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    We looked at the Outlander first and after driving even the SE model the Sportage just seemed a step down. Features, interior layout, cargo utility and it's feel on the road.

The Sportage felt like I was driving a wheel on an arcade game. Super easy to make turns, but there was very little road feedback. We've pretty much decided to take the Sportage off our list and go after an Outlander.

Definitely drive it, though! I've come from a couple sports cars so these both give a different feel.

Ian
    I guess, different car/suv have different feel, it is all depends on whether this car/suv will suite your life style or budget. I am currently driving a Buick SUV on the luxury trim and i still feel this Sportage will fit most people. If i can turn back the time, I will definately pick this Sportage over my Buick :)
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Earlier this year Idrove a rental Sportage for a few days while on vacation .Probably was a 2009. Sadly we were badly disappointed with the rental... horrible gas mileage and brutal seats which we were never able to adjust in a comfortable position. Today I sat in but did not drive a 2011 Sportage. Huge difference. First thing I noticed, while still 'stiff', the seats were VERY adjustable! Visibilty out the back was noticably poor. Tight to start with, then you add high seat back and you just plain can't see out the back window. Someday next week I will drive it to see if the visibility is really as poor as I expect.
    The saleman said the 2.4 is a 'new' engine for the Sportage... borrowed from the Sorrento and Optimo. If true, can anyone tell me what I should expect for mileage? Six speed Auto may take some getting use to.
    Overall I was impressed... Already drove RAV now onto a 2011 Tucson.
    I would think the Sorento would be more of a direct competitor to the Outlander as they are a 5-7 passenger vehicles and just about the same length and both offer the six. The Sportage is considerably smaller and only offering 5 passengers and no six will be available. In the Mitsubishi lineup I would think the new upcoming RVR (or Outlander Sport as it will be called in the US - that's going to cause some confusion), will be more of a direct competitor.
    I don't think it is fair to compare Sportage with Sorento. Both of them are on the different class... one is small/compact SUV, and Sorento is under Midsize SUV :)
    you are not reading the reply fully as to the posting it was referring too, as I was not comparing the Sorento to the Sportage but the Sorento to the Outlander as I consider those more direct competitors.
    The member said he drove the Outlander and felt the Sportage was a "step down", that was the reason for suggesting the Sorento.
    Agreed... Totally Understood :)
    Anybody care to guess what the possible mpg ratings will be for the turbo model??? Do you think the turbo will get similar mpg to the normally aspirated I4 like it's supposed to in the Sonata/Optima? That would put it around 30mpg hwy I would think.
  • dvancleavedvancleave Member Posts: 12
    I was really pumped to see this, particularly the Techno Orange color. I figured that it would pretty much mirror the Hyundai Tucson powertrain. But I was obviously wrong. One would think that it would have the same stuff or maybe even the GDI version of the 2.4L Theta II. Instead it took a step backwards and got the old cast iron block version. Seriously, how do you expect to overcome an image of "just selling cars cheap" when you do something like this?
    edited August 2010
    not sure how you arrive at that conclusion as the Sportage and the Tucson both use the same Theta II 2.4L engine with 176 hp and 168 lbs of torque, except in Canada for 2011 for Tucson they will also be a 2.0L engine, not sure for the US for 2011 as that info is not available.
    However, the Tuscson and Sportage AWD systems are not the same. They both use the same 6 speed transmission both manual and automatic, except the 2.0L using a 5 speed manual.
    For the Sportage there will be a 2.0L turbo charged unit coming in January or February next year, not sure if the Tucson will get this engine.
    Just want to check out the system today. I brought a 2GB USB drive with songs in folders to test out some songs. Pretty decent sound quality, and most impressive was the fact that it reads 99% of the song names. They were encoded in Traditional Chinese. I am sold. Just want to see if the 2.0T will be out first on the Sportage or the Optima then...

Sorry no photos. I was so excited that I forgot to take them. I am sure it will read Korean and Japanese characters too, FYI.
  • amandamtamandamt Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in purchasing one of the new sportages, however NO dealership around St. Louis has the leather package yet. Does this go for all cities right now? And if so, do any of you know when the leather package will be available? Knowing this would help me estimate/prepare for the sale of my car and the purchase of my new CUV! Thanks :)
    I don't know what to believe anymore...
    Please tell me that Autoweek got the dates wrong for the Optima. If you read the article, it says that the Optima is out "next year", and then the Hybrid out "1st quarter of 2011". Aren't they really the same timeframe? This is contrary to what Kia has "officially" put on their website.

Also the Sportage 2.0T date could be wrong as well...this article says "arrives this year" while "officially" it is 2011.

Future products: Kia seeks lively, upscale look

Kia's redesigned Optima sedan and the Cadenza replacement for the Amanti, both due next year, reflect an emphasis on creating a livelier and more upscale look for the once-bland brand.

Indeed, styling has been a crucial element of Kia's new-product push in the past 18 months.

The team at Kia Design Center America near Los Angeles--part of the automaker's global design network led by onetime Audi design chief Peter Schreyer--has helped set the new styling direction.

Designers in California created the Kue crossover concept that was the basis for the Sportage redesign. They also did the exterior styling on the Soul, Forte and Forte Koup and Sorento and the interior of the upcoming Optima. Kia's design center in Frankfurt did the Optima's exterior.

Look for more excitement under the hood, too, as Kia strives to be seen as a brand that delivers moderately priced vehicles that are fun to drive. For example, the new Sportage, which went on sale this month, gets a 270-hp direct- injection turbocharged engine as an option in early 2011.

Here are highlights of Kia's U.S. plans for the 2011-13 model years.

Rio: A redesign of Kia's small car is expected to go on sale in late 2011.

Rondo: The compact minivan may be replaced for the 2013 model year with a new five-door model based on the same platform as the Hyundai i30, which is sold in Europe.

Soul: The first reskin for the quirky, boxy subcompact since its February 2009 debut is planned for the summer of 2011, when the Soul gets a new fascia. A redesign is scheduled for the 2014 model year.

Optima: The mid-sized sedan, which shares a platform with the Hyundai Sonata, will be redesigned early next year. Styling of the 2011 Optima is sporty and streamlined. It gets the “tiger nose” grille seen on all new Kia models since the debut of the Soul. The new version will be launched with a standard 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and an optional turbocharged version that puts out an estimated 270 hp. A hybrid version will be introduced in the first quarter of 2011.

Sorento: The crossover was redesigned in December. A restyling is planned for the 2013 model year.

Sportage: The third generation of Kia's compact SUV debuted this month with styling cues from the 2007 Kue concept done at Kia's California design center. A version powered by a 270-hp, turbocharged direct-injection engine arrives this year. A reskin is scheduled for the 2014 model year.

Forte: A replacement for the compact sedan is planned for the 2013 model year, with a new platform and possibly a new name.

Cadenza: The Amanti replacement--introduced in Korea last year as the K-7--will go on sale in April as a 2012 model. The Cadenza, powered by a 3.5-liter V6, is longer and wider than the Amanti. The wheelbase of the Korean version is about 112 inches, compared with the Amanti's 107.1 inches. The Amanti name will disappear.

Borrego: The body-on-frame SUV will remain in Kia's lineup through the 2013 model year with no changes planned. Kia executives are not convinced that the segment is worth additional investment, so the Borrego may be killed when its current life cycle ends after the 2013 model year.

Sedona: The minivan segment is shrinking, so Kia may not replace the Sedona after production is scheduled to end after the 2013 model year.

Hybrid: Kia is kicking around the idea of a dedicated hybrid, likely a compact car, but it is struggling with the business case in a segment dominated by the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight.
    here's a LX base model (6 spd manual) with some extras on it.

• bestmickeybestmickey Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: I'm considering a 2011 Kia Sportage. I want leather seats but do NOT want a sunroof. I keep my cars a long time (10 and more years) and fear the sunroof will leak in later years of ownership. Besides, I have a history of skin cancer and just wouldn't use a sunroof. From building a Sportage on the Kia website, if I want leather, I must take the sunroof. Do you know if this is a mandatory combination? If so, it rules out this vehicle for me.
    your Sportage will have a cover over the sunroof so it will not be exposing you to the direct sunlight, so don't let that get in your way of buying the Sportage you like, OK?

• ricksformularicksformula Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    at least one dealer in our area has offered to add leather to an LX model for around $1500-$1800. We want the NAV with Leather but don't like the "premium" dual a/c and we really don't like the new EX "Daisy" wheels either. So basically you can come out with a leather and NAV equipped LX for around $3k less than the EX with NAV/leather/sunroof. Might be worth asking about. Now if they can just produce enough of these cars to fill the dealers requests. In our area it seems like the dealers are all having to beg the factory to get more than a few at a time..
  • scan2scan2 Member Posts: 1
    Before I sign the lease deal for a 2011 Kia Sportage EX AWD with the premium package (no tech)...lease terms: 36 months, 15k miles/yr, zero down...MSRP: $28,650, Cap Cost: $26,400, Monthly 394.00/tx included...is this a good deal??