Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Accent Replacement "Verna"?

Comments

• phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    carfreak09, thanks for your very thorough impression of the 2012 Hyundia Accent. I assume since you did mention the 14`` tires, it was a Base Model GLS Sedan. I don`t think many dealers have received the Hatchback Accent`s yet. I too was both pleased by some of the vehicles attributes but I must say, I found more negatives. Styling, looks, fit and finish, performance and quietness were (all) positives. Like you mentioned, the tiny standard 14`` wheels and cover`s was a downer along with the black exterior door handles. They decided I guess at the last moment to paint the black exterior mirrors to match the vehicles exterior color paint. I did`nt notice that there was (no) interior door lock/release switch, what`s that all about? I miss the Power Moonroof option which is offered as standard equipment on Canadian GLS Accents with the upgraded trim. Canadian Accents get the spare tire and jack instead of the mini air compressor and tire puncture sealant canister. For those that care, (myself included) Hyundai deleted the DRL`s on the new 2012 Accent while maintaining them on their new 2011 and 2012 Sonata`s and Elantra`s. All in all, I think the new Accent is a huge improvement over the outgoing model (but) it could and (should) have been much better. We will have to wait and see if the new Hyundai Accent`s shortcomings are addressed and improved upon when its sibling, the 2012 Kia Rio and Rio5 Hatchback are launched this fall. According to most of the Media material Kia has leaked so far, it looks like they just might bring home the Gold!
  • hcalcathcalcat Member Posts: 30
    Nice review, carfreak09. I appreciate it since I am considering purchasing one. When the 2011 Sonata came out, I was impressed with the overall design, powertrain, feature set and value. But I felt it was on large side. Then I got wind of the new 2011 Elantra and felt that it was perfect for replacing my aging 2006 Civic 4 door. But then I heard that a new and improved Accent with GDI was coming so again I decided to wait. I guess patience is a virtue because based on a few a couple of pre-reviews (yours, Michael Karesh's, and AccentPlanets), the reviewers seem pretty impressed with the dynamics (closer to the Elantra Touring's), power, quietness, engine sound, and comfort. I am interested in the 5 door SE model which will be sportier tuned.

Phil1, while I too am disappointed that Hyundai did not include some of the things that will be in the Kia Rio, I feel that I can upgrade later when those features become available thanks to Hyundai's Guaranteed Trade-In Value Program .
    At least 2 Hyundai dealers here in Southern California just received the 2012 5 door Accents according to the inventory information posted on their web sites. Each dealer received 4 and they are base GS variety. So they are starting to dribble in. Can't wait to test drive one.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Great, can't wait to see/drive one of those. If I like how the GS stick drives, that could do it for me for not much $$. I'd miss the cruise, but I'd only use it 2-3 times a year.
    hcalcat, I think if your in the market for a Hyundai Sedan, and your considering either the new 2012 Accent or the Elantra, the Elantra IMO is a much better value. You get a similar looking vehicle, slightly larger, 1.8 L engine compared to the 1.6 L engine in the Accent, both vehicles GLS Sedans with the identical preferred convenience upgrade package, ae" alloy wheels, fog lights, etc. has a price difference of only $1500. Elantra MSRP of $18,900. and Accent at MSRP of $17,400. For that mere $1500. you get much more car but more importantly, a huge increase in future residual trade in value. The Elantra is projected to return much more value then the smaller Sub-Compact B Segment Accent. That small difference in purchase price up front will more then be recouped down the road. The only difference and negative against the Elantra versus the Accent is the lack of GDI, (but) they both have the same EPA milage ratings, go figure that? Unless you want the Accent Hatchback version, I think the value and looks belongs to the 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan.
    phill1. I agree that from a purely spec, feature set, and value prospective, the Elantra has the edge over the Accent. But from a "seat of the pants" driver's perspective, I am hearing that "Accent>Elantra". Reviewers are saying the new Accent is actually "fun" to drive and I put a higher value on that. Of course I need to test drive one to see how that "fun" translates. I think the GDI and suspension tuning makes all the difference. I prefer the versatility and cargo space of the Accent hatchback for my Home Depot runs. If it becomes the top dog in the tough B-segment, I have a feeling its resale value will also be very good and should be no worse than a Honda Fit (which is very good, I owned one). I also thought about getting the new Rio with its rich feature set but I don't want to wait any longer plus I feel those additional upgrades (moonroof, leather, 17" wheels, back-up camera, keyless ignition, etc) will not come free or they may have to cut corners elsewhere. The mark-up on B-segment cars is relatively low so there isn't much wiggle room to make a profit.
    link title

You can get a nice feel for what the 2012 Accent is like from this video. Specifically:

1. Good acceleration
    2. Relatively Quiet
    3. Good Suspension Damping
    4. Good handling taking corners / turns
    5. Stable over bumps in the road
    6. Nice exhaust note (non-obtrusive)
    7. Engine only tach's 2K at 60 mph

So far, so good. SE's are supposed to have an even "sportier" tuned suspension. Car is starting to grow on me
    I currently own a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback that I`m very happy with since last July. I am also in the market to replace my aging 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback that I have almost 70K driven and has been an excellent vehicle but its time for replacement. I`m as anxious as you but I have no choice but to wait till the Fall and the arrival of the new 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback. Comparing the looks of the upcoming Rio5 Hatchback and the Accent Hatchback alone, is worth the wait. All the additional available content plus not having a similar Fiesta rear hatch does it for me. Sure, all those upgraded options will add somewhat to the MSRP but, you can pick and choose (ala carte). At least one will have the (choice). Projector headlights, LED DRL`s and Tail Lights, Power Moonroof, etc (all) those items not available on the 2012 Accent Sedan or Hatchback. I personally need more then just utility. If the 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback does`nt do it for me, there will be a new 2012 Hyundai Elantra in my driveway soon after. I too enjoy the practicality of the Hatchback design over the Sedan, but (if) I end up settling for a Sedan, it will definitely be the Elantra for me. Initial cost plus Fuel Economy, and projected higher residual trade in values between the Elantra and the Accent make that call an easy one for me. Maybe wearing shorts year round gives me a slightly different perspective then you get from the "seat of the pants".
    My current mix of cars are a 2008 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) PRHT, a 2007 Honda CRV, and the 2006 Honda Civic. The only car that I might consider to replace the MX-5 is the upcoming Veloster. It has the same 1.6L GDI engine as the 2012 Accent/Rio so it should be spunky enough and a turbo version is lurking down the road. But that's another story. My first priority is to replace my wife's aging Civic and right now we am leaning towards the Accent. If we buy it and then if for some reason she doesn't like it, I can always sell my CRV and get her the upcoming new 2012 Subaru Impreza. I would take over the Accent and after 2 years, I have the option of trading it in for some other Hyundai, possibly the Veloster. I think in the next 3 years, we will see a multitude of improvements to cars because of CAFE and safety mandates and technology and competition so many of today's cars may seem somewhat dated by then. Some examples of the future options are found in the 2012 Kia Rio, e.g., new GDI engine, start/stop at idle, rear camera, side mirror repeaters, ESC, LED DRL's, smart-phone integration, Blue-Link, Graceland, etc. All of this additional stuff (and complexity), of course, will come with a higher price tag and reliability risk so it is good to look for cars that come with good warranties and guaranteed trade-in values ;-).
    I agree with you totally. I hate most technology and find its proper place is in both medicine and defense. I have probably one of the very few early production Ford Fiesta`a that I ordered early Mar and took delivery this past July that was special ordered (without) the SYNC technology and upgraded million watt radio. I instead took the cash credit of $595 which was offered and put it towards the Power Moonroof which ended up costing me a mere extra $100. I don`t plan on purchasing a fully equipped 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback but (I) want to be able to have the opportunity to have the choice of options which unfortunately Hyundai in the US chose not to offer. LED DRL`s and Tail Lights won`t be a problem, Rear Camera Monitor won`t be either. Speaking of which, will be mandatory equipment in all US vehicles in a couple of years. Blue-link, smart phone, ISG (idle-stop-go) I`ll pass on too. Just thought, for that matter, I`ve never had a leak or mechanical problem with a factory installed Power Moonroof either. If you pull the trigger on the Accent Hatchback, best of luck. Guess I`ll have to be patient and wait till fall when the new Kia Rio drops too.
    Here are a couple first drive reports from Autoblog and Motortrend

First Drive - Autoblog

First Drive - Motortrend
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    As my daughter and I were going shopping yesterday, we passed the Hyundai store and commented on how there were no new Elantra's or Accent's in the back area where they usually park them. Pull into the supermarket and there's a new black Accent! Looked very nice even though it had the bolt on wheel covers. Prefer the Elantra more but can see the wife in either one of them...eventually. Also, the 3s lost it's a/c for the 3rd time yesterday but like the other times, it came back on after she played with the dials. With just over 91k on the odo, I think it's trying to tell us something actually. We still want to get to 100k but not sure if we'll make it as the tires are looking a bit worn with almost 4ok on them.

This is really a bad time to buy a car too, which I keep telling her. Might be worth it to just replace the two most worn tires & fix the a/c when it goes out. But it'll be her decision on when to buy.

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

First Drive - Autoweek

They seem to like it ("what's not to like"). Big difference in 0-60 mph estimate from Motortrend.

Autoweek: 9.0 sec (est)
    Motortrend: 10.5 sec (est)

My estimate is closer to 9.0 seconds and no slower that the Elantra. ">link title

Autoweek's and Autoblog's overall assessment is very positive, Motortrend's is "lukewarm:.
    No new news in these reviews. Not a bad small car but nothing great either. One error in the Motortrend review was their price difference between both a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan and a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan. Both vehicles with the identical equipment are only separated by a mere $1,500. $18, 900 for the Elantra and $17,400 for the Accent. Same Fuel Economy Too! No $3000. price gap and a hell of a lot more car with (much) better future residual (trade-in) value. A no brainer IMO.
    edited June 2011
    You seem to focus on features, size, price differential, and residual value in your assessment of these two cars. While I would agree that the Elantra may have the edge in features and size, I am more interested in how all the pieces come together. How does it handle, is it quiet and smooth, how does it brake (distance and feel), is it "fun" to drive, what is the "real world" fuel economy, how does it accerate, how sweet a ride, etc? Using a sports analogy, would you rather have a team of Allstars or a team that knows how to play together like a team. What keeps me interested in the Accent (over the Elantra) are these positive reviews, especially the one by Michael Karesh who when asked flat out said "I think the review clearly says Accent > Elantra."

M Karesh 2012 Accent Review

As for resale value, it is a huge mistake to base a new model's resale value on a prior model's, especially when the new model represents a quantum leap over the prior model and is already receiving accolades with some reviewers touting it as being at the top of its class. I believe if a car moves to top in class in a class that is growing, it will hold its value very nicely.

So unless your cognitive powers and opinion carry more weight than others, picking the Elantra over the Accent is not a "no brainer". It depends on what you are interested in and as the saying goes "different strokes for different folks".
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    don't discount $1500. That is about a 10 % upcharge!

the other key difference? The elantra only comes in a 4 door. If you want your small car to have some utility, you are OOL at least until they come out with a new touring.

Me, the Rio is more interesting then either of the Hyundais, if for no other reason than I want some features (and require a moonroof) even on a small car with good MPG.

will have to test sit an Accent this week. Need to pick up a bag of dog food, and the pet store happens to be right next to the hyundai dealer.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited June 2011
    Perhaps your right that I have focused more on (my) perceived value of the 2012 Elantra vs the 2012 Accent and true, your buying fun and so called excitement and not cold cuts by the pound at the Deli. And since this new Accent is hardly "out of the gate", future residual trade in values are yet to be determined, but based on past small sub-compact/ B segment vehicles (all makes), they usually don`t return anywhere the same amount as the slightly larger, more popular compact/C segment cars. Even that would not necessarily discourage me from purchasing a sub-compact car that I really was excited about. I admit, I myself purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback last July which I`m very happy with and I hope to purchase the new 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback this fall if the vehicle matches the media buzz it has received so far. After seeing and driving the new 2012 Hyundai Accent, I personally feel its a ok car which could have been a great car if HMA had not "decontented" it. Having very few upgradeable options that were offered in other markets around the world including our neighbor to the north, Canada. It appears the Hyundai figures that its new 2012 Kia Rio and Rio5 will fill that gap.
    You can't base subcompact resale values on past "cheap" models. The new crop of subcompacts (Fiesta, Fit, Accent, and Rio) with their upscale rides, interior volume, and content are really the "new" compacts so their resale value should adjust accordingly along increased demand and market share. I am not worried about resale value in these vehicles.

My dilemma is that I waited for the Elantra, waited to see what Honda would do with the 2012 Civic (ok but disappointing), waited for the Accent (I haven't driven one yet), and am now debating whether to wait for the Rio5. My 6 year old 2006 Honda Civic is running fine so I am in no hurry but just getting anxious. If the Rio 5 is just as good as the Accent with more content options, it might be an easy choice. The Rio5 is 3 inches shorter in length in already a small car so I'll have to see how that translates (I prefer a small car that looks "big" versus one that looks "small"). The other negatives for me would be not having the guaranteed trade-in value that Hyundai offers and that the nearest Kia dealer is 25 miles away.

On the other hand, if I get the Accent now, I have the option to trade it in in 2 years when something better comes along. Just got to figure Hyundai will stay busy as they relentlessly pursue protecting their advantage over the competition. I think I just talked myself into getting the Accent (if my wife likes it ;-)).
    edited June 2011
    Hyundai coming out with that marketing ploy of "guaranteed trade-in value" was brilliant! If you read all the disclaimers though of deductions for (above-normal wear & tear) excessive mileage, specified windows of trade in opportunity and the big one, having all Manufacturer recommended maintenance and service performed at a Hyundai Dealership, they can readily afford to stick their neck out and predict a residual trade in value much like the (buy-out) number you get with a regular Lease. Once you factor in all those expensive $40 oil changes and recommended 6K, 12K, 18K, 24K, etc "recommended procedures", whatever extra you get on trade in towards purchasing another Hyundai product, you have already paid them out of pocket AND thats if you meet (all) the pre-qualifications and you choose another Hyundai. CarMax already offers basically Kelly Blue Book trade in values for quality cars they will buy from the public now if a Dealer low-balls the trade in vehicle and this also allows one to shop for a replacement of (any) Brand vehicle. Again, if the new Hyundai Accent works for you, enjoy. If you don`t need the Hyundai Guaranteed Trade-In Promo, I`d not worry about the new 2012 Kia Rio`s, allegedly 3`` exterior shortage difference and wait till fall, I know I am. I`m sure the interior specifications will be almost identical.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Do you mean "the Kia Rio's 3" difference"? Figured you did but your punctuation made me wonder since you leave spaces where there shouldn't be. Funny how wrong punctuation can leave others wondering what was meant.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Your right, I was referring to the 3 `` shorter exterior dimensions the new 2012 Kia Rio or Rio5 allegedly has compared to the new 2012 Hyundai Accent. Thanks
  • nucarshoprnucarshopr Member Posts: 13
    A couple weeks ago I test drove several new cars including the new Accent.The one I drove came loaded with all the packages included with the auto tranny.I have to admit it was a nice car.A bit more power than the Yaris about the same as the Corrolla but less than the 2012 Civic.Handling was good to but again I liked the Civic best.I haven't been able to drive the Fiesta yet and that's the only other contender I'm looking at.There are several things I REALLY don't like about the Accent.First and foremost is the fact that the dealers won't budge on the price.Next is since it's a completely redesigned car nothing is known about reliability.Most every new design has bugs to be worked out and I seriously doubt the new Accent will be any different in that regard.Even with the package upgrades you don't even get a donut spare tire.Only a flat tire repair kit that's only good for a few miles use.Thats absurd by any standard.For me the proven reliability/quality of the Civic and Toyotas I drove far outweigh what the Accent offers.
    FWIW, the 2012 Civic is new also, thus unproven reliability. And the closest comparison to the Accent (hatch) is the Fit, not the Civic. A comparably equipped Civic costs thousands more than the Accent. So the Civic SHOULD be a much better car.

Of course, the Corolla is also not a good comparo to the Accent. The Yaris is. Just based on interior quality and room alone, also fuel economy and power, I'd go for the Accent over the Yaris.
    nucarshpr, As the owner of a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback that I`ve owned since last July, 10` and driven 9K miles, I can say, I really like this vehicle. Great city fuel economy 34 mpg and constant 41 mpg highway, (without) the extra cost SFE package. Complaints about tight rear seat room, (its a Sub--Compact/B-Segment car). If your not stuck on a Hatchback, you should look at the 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Just $1,500. more then a similar equipped Accent and (much) more car. Unfortunately, still no emergency donut spare tire or jack but a salvage yard could remedy that quickly and cheaply. AND, same fuel economy as the smaller Accent too!
    I think recent history has proven that first year "jitters" of having serious issues with a new vehicles launch is pretty much in the past. See any problems with the recent launch of Hyundai`s Sonata, Elantra, or for that matter, the 2011 Ford Fiesta? In the last decade, (all) car manufacturers have road tested their new offerings under all kinds of harsh conditions for hundreds of thousands of miles before (full) production is begun. This is not your (fathers Oldsmobile). anymore. Back in "the day", Cars were quickly made and shipped to the dealers to fix production problems, thats not standard operating procedure anymore.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Actually just the opposite appears true. With all the new models and high tech gadgets, new models are appearing with numerous problems.
    Declining Quality in New Models
    IMO, "most" new vehicles 2010-2012 both Domestic and Imported have very good quality build and few minor repair issues. Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and the rest of those Quality Survey folks take data both actual and "perceived" problems with new car owners and comply a list of the good, bad, and the ugly. I have a new 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback which I previously posted about. I purchased it in July 10` and have driven it 9K so far. NO Problems whatsoever, lucky? Perhaps, but I (did not) order the Sync System or the High Tech Ford My Touch either. I have to admit, I did order the Power Moonroof, but to date it has not failed nor has the power windows, power door locks, nor power mirrors either. The more technology you prefer adding to your vehicle, the more technology "crashes" you can expect. I use a small flip (dumb) phone, never have a problem. Want a state of the art iPhone, Blackberry, LTE Adroid 4 G, have fun. How many issues have the 2011 Hyundai Sonata or Elantra had? Ask their owners for (real) input. You can get a Lemon with a 15K car as easily as a 100K vehicle but, all in all, most new cars even in their first year of Launch have proven for the most part to be reliable and dependable transportation, "IF" you avoid the temptation to load them up with High Technology toys that will at some point crash and fail and give endless aggravation. Just saying........who wants to purchase a vehicle in its last year of production before either a major refresh or replacement? Most people would like driving a car that looks new and pretty much the same for 4 or 5 years before it looks dated and obsolete. We all have choices, and true, some end up with "Buyers Regret".
    While it's true the 12 Civic is new to an extent it's changes vs the 11 version are quite modest compared to the completely new12 Accent.I should have mentioned some prices in my original post.I can get the DX Coupe with manual tranny for 15,500 compared to the GLS manual at 15,040.These are actual selling prices at the dealers I visited.Granted there's no AC or audio available with the DX which I'm not happy about but installing a decent audio system won't add much to the final cost.The AC is another story but IMO Honda' excellent record for reliability,more room front/back/trunk space,15" wheels/spare (vs 14" wheels/repair kit with the Accent),bigger more powerful engine still edges out the Accent for the money.Now the Fiesta S sedan with manual might well be the best deal of all.I was able to get in one but since it was already sold I couldn't actually take it for a spin.With the 500 cash back Ford has in place now it would only be 13,495.I might even be able to negotiate the price lower still.Considering what it comes with even in the basic S version that's very juicy.I should also mention I really don't want a lot of the frills like bluetooth,navigation,USB ports,moon roof and such.All I want is a car that's reasonably fun to drive,good on gas and reliable.
    nucarshopr, as your aware, I`m an owner of a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback since last July. As I`ve posted,34 mpg city and 41 mpg highway with A/T and no SFE package. No complaints and no repair or adjustments except some re-gluing of weather strip on rear doors. If you know someone, own Ford Shares-(100) or more, or go on Blue Oval News.com, get an X Plan Pin # you can get the car for under invoice with NO-dealer Fee`s too! If your financing, Ford Credit might have a low APR as well. Not sure if all these deals are available on the Fiesta S though. I have yet to see one in person, only SE, SES & SEL. Not a big seller for sure.
    and, in 2012, can you imagine what the residual value would be even for a Honda Civic with manual transmission, crank windows, no radio and no A/C at trade in? Hope you plan on driving that (gem) right to the scrap yard. Also, Honda has had a great (past) reliability no doubt, but Hyundai/Kia has the 5/60K bumper to bumper warranty plus the 10 year 100K drive train coverage. It looks like your the kind of buyer that could make use of that?
    Granted there's no AC or audio available with the DX ...

So you should be comparing the base Accent GLS to the Civic DX then. The base Accent GLS lists at $13,205 including destination, without AC or audio. So you're looking at around $2500 less than the Civic, comparing apples to apples, with the discount you mentioned on the Civic, assuming a small discount on the Accent.

If you must compare the Accent GLS with AC and audio (including satellite radio, also power package) to the Civic, you really should compare the Civic LX, which lists at $18,625 compared to $14,955 for the Accent... over $3600 more for the Civic.

As for more power, the Civic has all of 2 hp over the lighter Accent. Also the Accent has a 6-speed tranny vs. the Civic's 5 speeds. Although the Civic does have more interior room (including rear leg room), the Accent actually has the larger trunk--14 cubic feet vs. 12.5. And of course the Accent hatch has tons of cargo room--something the Civic doesn't offer at any price. :)

If you want a car that's good on gas, the Civic or Accent is a better bet than the Fiesta S. You'd need to get the extra-cost fuel economy package on the Fiesta to get comparable mpg to the Civic or Accent. Also, you said you like the room in the back seat of the Civic. So you would probably not like the rear seat of the Fiesta, which is a LOT tighter than that of the Accent. Have you checked out the rear seat of a Fiesta yet? It's Cruel & Unusual Punishment for all but small children. Also, the Fiesta is an all-new design, with unproven reliability.

If you want a no-frills car, the base Accent GLS with 40 mpg, 6MT, big trunk, no AC or audio, and roomier back seat than the Fiesta might fit the bill. Not to mention that nice warranty.
    backy, Why do you (insist) on claiming that you need to order the Ford Fiesta with the extra cost SFE package to get 34 mpg city and 41 mpg highway? Not only have I and other Fiesta owners reported this (fact) but even Consumer Reports which has no love for FMC claimed that they actually achieved 45 mpg highway with a Fiesta without the SFE package. By the way, Ford has included on "ALL" Ford Fiesta`s the same equipment with or without the SFE except the special low resistance rolling tires which are certainly not worth the major added cost of the Package. If you want to "bash" the Fiesta for its marginal rear seat leg room, fine. But, as far as Fuel Economy goes, PLEASE, just the facts. I`m sure for the 2012 Ford Fiesta Model Year, the E.P.A. Fuel Economy figures will be adjusted upward unless Ford wants it`s Fiesta buyers to be pleasantly surprised. This "hate" affair you have with both Ford and it`s Fiesta has become so biased, its boring. By the way, when you suffer a tire (blow-out) and wait for your Tow Truck to haul away your 2012 Hyundai Accent because the mini-air compressor and can of tire sealant did`nt do the trick, the Fiesta does have a emergency spare tire and jack...just saying. Oh, by the way, That`s A Fact, contrary to an opinion. Fiesta is new with "un-proven reliability, well what about the totally new Hyundai Accent, still unproven unless you want to rely on a discontinued model. Base it on Brand? Ok, well what about the recent reliability and quality of Ford with its Fusion? Your entitled to your opinion, but not your own Facts! Just check the trunk of the new 2012 Hyundai Accent and see besides the 14 cubic foot storage space what`s under the matt.
    "YMMV". I like to use EPA ratings when comparing fuel economy across cars because there are so many variables if we look at what you get or I get or Joe Blow gets for fuel economy. Sure, it's possible to get over 40 mpg on any Fiesta. But it's possible to get over 40 mpg on an Accent (or Civic) too.

I have no "hate affair" with Ford. The FACT is, the EPA fuel economy rating on the Fiesta S with the manual transmission (which the OP is talking about getting) is 28 / 37.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2011_Ford_Fiesta.shtml

So don't bash me over the head for stating FACTS. Maybe the EPA will adjust the FE ratings for the Fiesta S upwards for 2012. They haven't yet. I am stating the FACTS as they are today, not some premonition for the future.

Also, the tight rear leg room of the Fiesta is a FACT. May not be important for some people, like you. But seems to be important to the OP, who mentioned that it was a plus that the Civic has more rear seat room than the Accent.

Funny you talk about biased, though, with your 357 posts (or thereabouts) on the door handles of the Accent. ;)

Both the new Accent and Fiesta are unproven for reliability. The Fusion is a different car than the Fiesta. But if you want claim that the Fiesta will be reliable because the Fusion has been reliable, I could say the same about the Accent wrt the Sonata or Elantra or some other Hyundai model.

P.S. It's an easy matter to buy a spare tire and jack for the Accent, if you are uncomfortable with not having one. That's what I'd do if I bought one of these new cars ala Accent or Elantra or Cruze that doesn't have a standard spare tire. A dumb idea to save a little weight/money, IMO. But easily remedied. Not so easy to add a bigger trunk or more rear leg room to the Fiesta.
    Odd that you take EPA Fuel Economy figures as the Holy Grail regardless what others (not just myself) and Publications like CR Posts. You know as well as I, in the (past) most Vehicles NEVER, I repeat "Never" get anywhere close to EPA Fuel Estimates in (real-time) driving conditions. They are usually obtained by putting a finely tuned sample vehicle on a Dynamometer to cull optimum results. The 2011 Ford Fiesta, a non-hybrid, actually delivers in excess of these ratings. If you insist that EPA rating`s are the equivalent of the Holy Bible, Koran, or the Talmud, so be it. Some folks still believe that the World is still flat despite compelling evidence to the contrary. Funny, no mention of ever being disappointed about owning a car that never achieved the EPA Fuel Economy posted on the MSRP? Only an issue that since the EPA (says) 28/37 MPG, then (that) is what one should expect, maybe. Check on the SFE Package too if you like and see it only (now) contains the tire upgrade unlike the new 2012 Ford Focus which has a different power louvered grill. I`ll wrap this up by stating, I like both Hyundai and Kia and have owned and intend to purchase their vehicles. My complaint is with HMA "decontented" its new Accent offering making it a lesser car then what is offered in other Markets around the world. Not just Canada gets a better equipped unit, but (even) India a developing Third World Nation, gets a higher content vehicle then the USA gets. Thats a fact, NOT an opinion. The "mirrors" which by the way are (now) painted the same exterior color as the vehicle on the GLS Base Sedan is just one item. There are plenty more. I`ll have to check and see if there is also a lack of storage area in my Fiesta Hatchback probably caused by the lack of back seat knee room too.
    You know as well as I, in the (past) most Vehicles NEVER, I repeat "Never" get anywhere close to EPA Fuel Estimates in (real-time) driving conditions.

I'll bet some do, just by the Law of Averages. But many people get worse than the EPA ratings. And many get better mpg than the EPA ratings. So for sake of comparison, I choose to use a published spec that is calculated in the same way on all vehicles, and is easily available to all. Not a "Holy Grail", but one way to compare on a standardized measure. I suppose instead we could use "Phill's Fuel Economy Ratings", but then you'd have to drive every car offered for sale, in exactly the same way--a big job.

BTW, Hyundai decontents EVERY vehicle it sells here compared to other markets, especially the ROK. That is likely a plus for the OP who says he wants a basic car. If it offends you somehow, well, there's many other cars to choose from. The Accent has plenty of equipment for me. If the GS hatch 6MT had cruise, it would be just about perfect. :)
    backy, I`ll let you have the last word on this one. Its like a former Massachusetts "Yellow Dog Liberal Democrat Socialist" like myself or Sen Bernie Saunders from VT trying to find common ground with a Right Wing Evangelical Born Again Christian Conservative Republican Tea Bagger, (enough description?) like a Michelle Bachmann, could they agree that they are discussing a topic in the same time zone? I think Bachmann has a better chance of becoming the Homecoming Queen at a NYC Gay Pride Parade! Please don`t take offense as I am in no way attempting to characterize you as either of these people. I`m just saying.......If you think Hyundai Motors America (HMA) is doing the average consumer a favor by (not) allowing "options" on its vehicles, thanks cool. YOU did mention that your a tiny bit disappointed that you can`t get cruise control on the 2012 Accent GS Hatchback, see what I mean? I know the Hyundai Accent was never intended to be a poor man`s Mercedes Benz, Audi or BMW, but allowing more choices in options as they do in other Markets, would appear to have been reasonable . Time will tell, Consumers will vote with their wallets and it won`t be long before John Krafick looks like a genius or I go on the Food Network and devour a huge slice of Crow Pie minus the Whipped Cream! In the mean time, I`m hoping that this Fall when the new 2012 Kia Rio and Rio5 finally arrive, the wait will be worth it. If you pull the trigger and get your 2012 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback, (minus the Speed Control), best of luck and enjoy......Sincerely, phill1
    If you think Hyundai Motors America (HMA) is doing the average consumer a favor by (not) allowing "options" on its vehicles, thanks cool.

No, that's not what I think. It's also not true. There's options on Hyundais, including some Accent trims. But consider Honda has not offered factory options on most of its vehicles for a long time. They've done OK with that approach. On the opposite side is Ford, which offers lots of option packages, and allows a car to be ordered from the factory equipped a certain way. I can see that would be attractive to many buyers. It would be attractive to me, if Ford offered a small car here with a roomy back seat. That's a "blocker" requirement for me with my next car.

Anyway, I do have the choice of cruise or not with the Accent, still in a reasonably priced car. It's not like, for example, the Cruze, where not only do I need to move to at least the LT to get cruise, I have to pay extra for it. At least on the SE hatch, cruise is standard. I'm still trying to decide if I really need cruise, since I have another car in the family that has it, and is more comfortable for long trips.

If I get an Accent, it will likely be a 2013... maybe it'll offer a backup camera and factory nav and a panoramic sunroof and 18" wheels and leather and gosh knows what else by then. I know I won't buy one like that, however.
    backy where are you seeing this base Accent for 13,205 including destination?The Hyundai link on this page says from 12,445 but when I click the link it shows from14,195 MSRP. At that price the Accent would definitely be a strong contender.
    What did the Yugo sell for? A new 2012 Accent stripped down with no radio, no A/C, and crank windows would sell well perhaps in the Sub Continent of Africa, but realistically here in North America, if you can find (one) the Dealer will have it in his Inventory for a Loss Leader Ad in the Sunday Newspaper listed as....Only "1" at This Price, Model # xxxxx. It will not be a big seller. Most New Car buyers want a few "bells and whistles" on their new ride. Not many wants pure "utility" otherwise they would look for a used well maintained former Police or Taxi vehicle. Funny how so many "frugal" Car shoppers are only interested in obtaining a New Car with the absolute lowest MRSP but then have no issue of "bending over" and paying between $500 to $800. for so called "Dealer Fee`s". What a hoot! I personally would rather put those funds into extra options on the vehicle, just saying....To each their own, I guess.
    Go to the New Cars tab in Edmunds.com and configure the base GLS sedan 6MT, with no options. MSRP is $13,205. Maybe you looked at the automatic?
    backy, I know that you would not purchase a vehicle with "Panoramic sunroof,leather, and those enormously expensive 18`` tires due to replacements costs, (at least I can agree on the Tires), but as far as the "Rear View Back Up Camera", sorry my friend, whether you like it or not the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has (mandated) that by Model Year 2015 or before, ALL passenger vehicles sold in the USA must be equipped with that devise. Guess they are concerned about all the Senior Citizens and Baby Boomers coming of age that will need the assistance so they won`t back up and run someone over. I`m sure once your use to it, you won`t be able to fathom how you were ever able to live without it. It won`t be an option, but you (will) be paying for it in the MSRP like AirBags and ABS Brakes.
    edited July 2011
    No big deal. If it's standard, fine. But it will probably be a long time before I buy a car with that feature. After I get two cars in 2013 (at least one used), I won't be in the market again until 2016 unless something unplanned happens (like a car being totaled).

These days I don't know how I lived without AC and power windows and power mirrors. But my first 3 cars didn't have any of those, and I didn't have power windows/mirrors until my 7th vehicle. Heck, the first car I drove didn't even have a radio, power steering, power brakes, or carpets. But it got me around.
    I Hear you, Bro..... but you know, as we get older, most of us just want and expect more. It`s Human nature, I guess. Big difference always between "want & need", but once you get used to certain creature comforts, who wants to go back? It`s sort of like my feelings about "Life`s is too Short Too Drink Cheap Beer". That applies to almost everything. After having a "Burger" and hand cut French Fries at "Five Guy`s" is hard to get excited stopping at McDonald`s, right? Sure if your hungry and all you have is a couple of bucks in your pocket, its better then going hungry, but other then that....I don`t think so.
    OK that worked out.I'll check around and see if any area dealers have or can get one in base form.
    I'm just the opposite in some regards.I neither need or want power windows,mirrors or even power steering.I had a 78 Celica without these features and I loved it.I live in Northern NY.Here a good heater and cold weather starting is more important than AC.If I lived in an area where traffic was routine then I would definitely want good AC.But here traffic is a few deer or turkeys crossing the road so an open window and/or the fan is plenty good enough.
    edited July 2011
    nucarshopr, All I can truly say, I`m Happy for You! I used to live in the (north country) "MA" before moving to South FL over 13 years ago. Oh, I so miss winter....LMAO. My brother actually still lives in upstate NY, in Webster outside of Rochester near Lake Ontario. Given a choice of living there or residing in the Monroe County Jail here in Key West, FL as a Trustee with a view of a Palm Tree outside my window rather then a (bare) tree standing next to a snow drift, I know what my choice would be. As they say, to each their own and different strokes for different folks. If you can`t locate one of those "limited edition" hard to find Base Model 2012 Hyundai Accents Sedans w/no options MSRP of $12,445 plus $760 destination charge = $13,205 let me know and I`ll search down here for you. You can buy a one way ticket for $99 on Jet Blue and drive your (Gem) back home. Good luck in your search. Don`t forget to stop at Kmart or WalMart and pick up some cheap rubber floor mats to protect the carpets of your new Car from the Snow and Road Salt next winter. And since you basically interested in a "good heater" and cold weather starting, perhaps you should consider buying a Canadian version 2012 Hyundai Accent. They come with Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors, Heavy Duty Battery & Alternator too, even in the cheaper models. With the Canadian Dollar and US Dollar being almost identical, I`d opt for the Canadian Model instead. Sure the Speedometer will have KPH prominent on the instrument cluster and MPH redundant in the inner circle but I`m sure you`d get used to that quickly.
    I'm still very leery of buying an all new car.I'm leaning more and more towards the base Fiesta S/manual.Its new to but they have been in Europe a few years now so at least some of the new car bugs have been remedied.I'm still considering the Yaris as well.It was fun to drive and their rep for dependability is second to none.I never had a problem with the Celica and my 91 Toyota 4x4 PU is still going strong though it could use a good tuneup and front wheel bearings.Though the price I got on the Civic is good I've decided against it.With the money I save buying either instead of the Civic I can fix the truck and keep it for work on the property,getting through the nastier winter storms and such and still spend a little less than the Civic alone.
    The Fiesta "S" Sedan might be a good choice for nothing other then pure transportation which appears is all that your looking for. As I`ve reported on this Thread, many times, much to "backys" displeasure, (LOL) I`ve had great results with my 2011 Fiesta over the past 12 months. No Problems and excellent fuel economy. Check out the back seat and see if it has room for a few pets, midgets, or a couple of bags of groceries. If it works for you, the only thing you will be giving up is the long Hyundai Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Ford is only 3 years/36K. You could always extend before it expires by purchasing the Ford ESP, (extended service plan) but at extra cost of course, which appears to be a "deal-breaker" for you. Happy car shopping and keep your cheeks tight when the Dealer`s Fee, hits!
    An advantage of going with the Yaris is you can get a slightly used one, maybe with a Toyota Certified warranty, and save some bucks.
    As one, who`s family has been in the Car Business for generations, there are (two) kinds of Car Shoppers, usually. It is near impossible to convince a "new" car buyer to purchase a "used" car and its pretty much the same trying to convince a "used" car buyer to make the leap and buy "new". There is always the occasional exception to the rule, but it usually holds up. Most "frugal" Car buyers (want) a NEW Vehicle but (don`t) want to pay the premium in price and suffer the huge depreciation. You can`t have it both ways! New is new and Used is used. Since your obviously attempting to buy something (cheap), I`d suggest buying a late model Hyundai or Kia. True, you won`t get the 10 year 100K Drivetrain Warranty thats only valid for the original Buyer, but you (will) get the remainder of the Factory 5 year 60K Bumper to Bumper Warranty, just as if you bought the vehicle new. And, you can take comfort in knowing that even if your purchased the Car NEW, once the tires cross the Dealerships curb, guess what?, yup, Now, (you) are driving a Used Car anyway. Also, maybe you should consider changing your screen name from "nucarshopr" to either "usedcar$hopr" or "bargaincar$hopr", just saying.....Good Luck in your quest.