Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    stopped yesterday to check one out. since their only unit had to be brought around, took it for a ride too. This was a limited premium, so 22K+ sticker.

It did have the tan interior, but the colors did not bother me. actually resembled the interior of a BMW with the same colors.

anyway, plenty of room, but I did have to drop the seat a little (i tend to sit "tall"). fine in the back seat too.

very nice style, and great looking interior. Engine was very peppy and smooth, and tranny seemed fine. Seemed quick. some road noise, but seemed to be just tires. but not overly loud.

only thing I did not like was the seat angle. If this had a power drivers seat (or at least front/rear height adjustment) it would be about perfect. I can't stand the 1 ratchet lever height adjustment, because I can never get the cushion tilted up enough for me.

also the seat seemed to pinch a littlat at the bottom, but that could be just the way I had it adjusted. Did not really play with it. At least the cushion seemed long enough.

overall, this is a winner.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Drove one today. My impression was that they have managed to put a mid-size cabin into a compact vehicle. It has excellent leg room and comfortable seats with a bit of padding in the lumbar region of the seatback.

Driving impression was that of a previous generation mid-size. More than adequate power, transparent shifting with the six-speed automatic and a very quiet engine. Mileage indicated was unbelievable. At a steady 60mph freeway drive for 15 miles, 45.1mpg. This with a new engine was almost beyond belief.

This will be the one to beat in 2011. The competition, from early spy pics and guessed at specs will still be looking a bit dowdy. Time will tell.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FWIW, the Elantra has had mid-size interior room since the Gen 3 debuted in late 2000. I own one of those (a 2004 hatch) and it's been a great car. I appreciate the ability to put 6-footers in the back seat without cramping them. The Gen 4 was even better in back. I can't wait to compare the new Elantra to the last one. How was headroom, thigh support, and foot space in back?

The mpg is very good news. It looks at least 10% better than the Beta II engine, which could get 40 mpg at 55-60 mph cruising with a light foot. And the 45 mpg was on a new engine... Hyundai engines tend to get better mpg with time (maybe that's true with other makes too, but I've especially noticed it on the two Elantras I've owned).
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    edited December 2010
    Drove one today. My impression was that they have managed to put a mid-size cabin into a compact vehicle.

This shows up on the exterior. It looks very "cab forward.
    I am 6', and sit "tall". Leg room was great, I think there was toe room if needed, and head room was OK. I was probably just touching sitting straight up.

probably more than good enough for most buyers, since I expect that if you are regularly transporting tall adults back there, you will probably get a bigger car!

• sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Please tell me I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I bought my BRAND NEW Elantra on October 8th. Today is December 11th....the car has 2600 miles on it, and the transmission has to be completely replaced. I am OUTRAGED. How could this have happened?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    it has to beg the question, so let's get it out of the way right off..

auto or manual, and what do you or they claim it does?
    at that mileage, it has to be a manufacturing or assembly defect. IOW, a fluke.

while I had my '04 in for a free oil change. They had four: a silver Limited (buried in snow), a Desert Sand GLS, and two black GLSes. I got to sit in the Desert Sand car as it was sitting idling while they cleared the parking lot of snow.

The first thing I noticed was that the lower dash did not have an orange-ish tint--not that I could notice anyway. It looked tan/camel, and matched the door panels and seat fabric quite well. I thought it looked fine. I think it shows pictures can be deceiving, also that tastes vary a lot.

The driver's seat was comfortable with firm support and good lumbar support. I had it set pretty high. The interior materials looked good to me and seemed of good quality for the class; quite a few padded surfaces including the dash top, door panels (cloth), and of course arm rests and top of center console. The only controls that were disappointing were the two concentric round knobs for fan and temperature; they seemed stiff, not silky smooth like on the two previous Elantra generations. Also, I would prefer a simple knob for HVAC function vs. several buttons--it took me some searching to find the button for "defrost". Once I found it though, it worked well to clear the huge windshield.

The back seat had enough room for two adults my size (I'm 5'10"). There was just enough toe space under the driver's seat for my size 10 tennies, and plenty of leg room. Thigh support was adequate, but headroom was tight--only about an inch clearance for me. The trunk seemed roomy, with the traditional hinges vs. struts.

I thought the Desert Sand car was very sharp; it had the optional 5-spoke alloys. But I also liked how the black cars caught the sunlight with a deep metal flake (I don't like black though--too hard to keep clean).

After looking at the tan and gray interiors, now I think I like the tan interior better, as it's less drab looking than the gray.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    The thigh support was good, headroom was more than adequate and rear seat legroom was adequate. I'm not a tall person so the dimensions were just fine for my size. The only reservation I had was the control stack.

It seems to visually overpower the dashboard area somewhat. The controls are very convenient to use and noiseless in operation. The day was cold and the heater produced heat quickly.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and appearance of the Elantra and am sure it will do well in the competitive marketplace. The one I drove was assembled in AL.
  • brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    Los angeles area, looking to get Otd price for new base elantra gls with auto
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Check the Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid discussion to see what others have been paying.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I saw the first '11 Elantra in person today in a turning lane. It was silver. I thought it was a Sonata at first but than realized the tailights wrap around the rear quarter panel way farther than on the Sonata so I thought it might be a Sonata Hybrid. I was briefly confused until I looked at the front end in my rear view mirror and realized it was the new Elantra! The fact it can confuse you into thinking it's a bigger more expensive car is a good thing. However, I still think the car looks way better in darker colors.
    Where's the Elantra on the latest IIHS Top Picks list? Not there. But its cousin the Forte is there. Also the Optima, which was introduced about the same time as the 2011 Elantra. Meaning Hyundai (and the IIHS) had time to test the car for the latest list. The omission probably means the Elantra didn't make the cut for the Top Picks list. I hope the fact that the IIHS crash test scores for the Elantra haven't been reported yet means that Hyundai is working on tweaking the design of the car (which they and other automakers often do when the crash test results aren't as desired) to make it more crash-worthy. They did this on the 2010 Elantra, so it could (finally) get a Good score on the IIHS side impact test--right before it was retired.
    edited December 2010
    You know how slow the insurance industry is, so I bet we won't see any Elantra crash test data until later in 2011.

Merry Christmas to all!
    As I said, the IIHS results for the 2011 Optima are already published, and that car debuted about the same time as the Elantra. I think the only reason we won't see IIHS crash test data is that Hyundai asked the IIHS to hold up on releasing it until it can make some changes and retest the car.

Also, automakers can pay for an early test, if they think the results will be good i.e. a Top Pick. Obviously did not happen in this case.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Toye, I find your post a bit misleading. I am 6'1 and own the current Elantra Touring wagon. The new 2011 Elantra is not a hit by any means. The driver's position is not better than the current ET, and the telescoping steering wheel does not come out far enough to make a comfortable driving position for tall drivers. Secondly, the roof line is significantly lower than the current ET. You have to watch your head getting in and out. Thirdly, the back seat room is worthless for adults. The sloping roof is way overdone. Adults cannot fit in the back, neither in headroom nor in legroom. Moreover, when you are in the back seat, your head is against the c pillar, which is annoying if you would like to see out of the window. I just felt the need to correct the record because the new Elantra is not well proportioned, and it irks Elantra Touring owners like myself who read that the Hyundai designers will make the 2012 Elantra Touring in this car's (as well as the new Kia Forte hatchback's ) image. The car is way to small inside and taller driver's should avoid it.
    Keep in mind that a wagon based on the current Elantra will likely have a taller profile and thus would not be as swept back as the sedan, thus would have better headroom than the sedan. "Based on" can mean the same chassis, dash, and mechanicals, but much different body.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Also, automakers can pay for an early test, if they think the results will be good i.e. a Top Pick. Obviously did not happen in this case.

It's reasons like this that I choose to ignore the IIHS. They are funded by insurance companies, which only have their best interests at heart, not yours.

Personally, I'm happy to see NHSTA seriously stepping up their testing to be more stringant so it is not easy to get a 5-star rating.
    How is more information about how cars fare in crashes and rollovers a bad thing for car buyers? If the insurance industry's interests, e.g. putting safer cars on the road, fits with my interests, that's just fine with me.

It takes money to pay for the tests. I have no problem with the IIHS getting reimbursed by a car company if they want their car tested earlier than the IIHS' budgeted schedule.
    I compared a couple of new Elantra sedans (Limited and GLS) today against an Elantra Touring SE that were all on the showfloor of a dealer in Austin, TX. It was my first sit in the Elantra Limited, and it confirmed that the GLS would be fine for me. The headroom in front was adequate with the moonroof, but there was little clearance (I'm 5'10"). The car in general seemed claustrophobic, with the dark grey interior, short windows, and narrow windshield cross-section.

The Touing OTOH felt very roomy and airy, as it's much taller than the sedan. And the rear seat legroom in the Touring is humongous--more than in the Sonata for example. Headroom in the rear is also much better than in the sedan, with several inches clearance over me. That is to be expected given the wagon profile.

When it comes down to choosing my next car, it might be tough to choose between the sedan with its better fuel economy and swoopy looks, and the more practical Touring (as a used car). And of course options like the Forte 5-door.

And for anyone wanting a loaded (leather, moonroof etc.) Elantra with a stick--the Touring SE comes standard with a B&M sport shifter. Might be hard to find, but it's available.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Would love a loaded Elantra with a stick. Wish they still made one.

Would take a touring with a stick if it got better mpg.
    If you would take a hatch with a stick, how about the Forte SX 5-door? It has available leather and a 6-speed stick, and gets better fuel economy than the Elantra Touring. Not quite as good FE as the Elantra sedan, but then nothing else currently in the class that isn't a hybrid matches the Elantra sedan in FE (given the Cruze Eco isn't available yet).
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    How is more information about how cars fare in crashes and rollovers a bad thing for car buyers? If the insurance industry's interests, e.g. putting safer cars on the road, fits with my interests, that's just fine with me.

There has been rumblings for quite sometime that manufacturers can buy their IIHS ratings. That's a problem.

Have they helped in making stronger safety ratings? I suppose. But, when they release reports on how they rate repair rates from different manufacturers, it's very clear they are looking out for their financial interest first.
    Forte isn't too bad, but to get leather etc. you need the larger engine and there goes mpg. Much rather have 40 mpg of the elantra than 32 for the forte.

All they have to do is make the stick available on the higher trims - can't cost them anything with the computerized assembly. I would even pay extra for a special order. Would be nice if one car maker stood up and allowed special orders for a small extra price. It used to be the norm (and still is in Europe). I remember ordering American cars not too long ago and you had a sheet with a hundred items and you could pick and choose what you want.

I don't have a problem with packages, but car makers need to be aware that some items are deal breakers. Some people won't buy a car with a sunroof or an automatic, but may want everything else. Others may hate leather etc. They can pile on all the doodads and whatzits they want in a package, but the big ticket options should be stand alone.
    There has been rumblings for quite sometime that manufacturers can buy their IIHS ratings. That's a problem.

And these rumblings are based on hard facts... which you can provide references to? Otherwise... with a rumor and $2.00 I can buy a cup of coffee.

Anyway, I do care that one car receives more, or less, damage in a low-speed collision than another. Again, if the interests of the IIHS mesh with mine, that's fine with me.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    There have been more & more posters who seem to be using personal opinion, here say..."rumblings" & other things in the place of hard "facts" to prove their point & when confronted with "where is this documented", all of a sudden change their statements or stumble & stammer when confronted. I've mentioned this a few time in the Cruze forum where this was really going on, so much so that I stopped reading that forum all together. If folks make a blanket statement about something, they best have some reference that others can look up. If not, they loose all credibility with me at least.

So please folks, make sure to distinguish between "fact" & "personal opinion" so as not to mislead others seeking help or information...it's just the right thing to do!

Slowly getting off my soapbox, I am...The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2010
    If folks make a blanket statement about something, they best have some reference that others can look up.

People usually aren't asked for proof of everything in polite conversation, so I don't quite know what to say.

We aren't writing scientific papers that require peer review here, we're chatting informally about cars.

I can't prove this, but I wish you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.
    edited December 2010
    Very well said. When I make a post I try to keep it as factual as possible, or will state it is my opinion. But I too have seen people online who seem to think it is some fact-proving contest. Even if you do provide a link, to support claims, why should the link be believed? It is often just some other reviewer's opinion. Why should their opinion be any more credible than your own, ya know?

And if it is a link to a government site, or gvt findings, advertisers, mfrgs site etc., all that info can be, and often is, manipulated.

I have also seen certain people go from one forum to another and try to stir up things to enjoy a reaction, and will even repeat the attempt a few hours or even a couple days later if no one bites. You run into all kinds on the internet.

Some people need to just relax more.

I too wish you happy, healthy, safe and prosperous New Year, bobad.
    In case anyone was curious, I just found out that the new Elantra does not provide a spare tire. They give you tire sealant and an air compressor instead. That explains some of the weight loss! I have to wonder about this decision since my Accent's owner manual clearly states NOT to use tire sealant because it can damage the tire pressure monitoring sensor. So how does Hyundai make sure the same won't occur in the Elantra?
    That really sucks. I noticed the same thing on the Cruze, although at least on the Cruze a spare tire is an option.

Did you notice if there's a tire well that has space for a spare (even a space-saving spare), and some way to lock the spare in place? If so, it's possible a spare could be added.
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    The spare can be added! A styrofoam organizer takes the place of the spare but it can be easily removed and replaced by a spare! Personally, I like it!
    There is space for a temp spare, but I didn't notice if there was a way to lock it in place. Anyone know how Hyundai is keeping the sealant from damaging the tpms system?
    All you manual tranny lovers would absolutely love my dealer. Out of 8 Elantras in stock, 4 of them are manuals in 3 different colors (2 black, 1 silver, and 1 desert sand). I've never seen a dealer have so many manual trannys in stock!
    the porblem with Hyundai is that they are continuing the trend of only offering the stick on low-level models.

that was the nice thing about Honda. Not only did they offer sticks, you could usually find a few, and they had them on all trim levels. I doubt I could find something like my Accord EX-L stick anymore from most makers (even Honda).

• yipyipyipeeyipyipyipee Member Posts: 43
    Hmm... Hyundai's web site does not indicate if a spare tire included or not. Having said that, I did a look-up, here on Edmund's, and it does list a compact spare.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/2011/features-specs.html?style=101286105&- sub=
    So is it possible... the spare is UNDER that foam tray?
    Since Hyundai simplified the options available (and the engine is the same at all levels) the MSRP is $16,800USD if you include the Popular Equipment Package.

The difference isn't huge... OK, it may be nice to have the proximity entry with push-button start... Still the down-side is you're stuck with the plastic covered steel-wheels. Having said that, we COULD be looking forward to this factory manufactured aero kit (currently only available in Korea):

http://www.motorward.com/2010/10/factory-made-aero-kit-for-2011-hyundai-elantra/-
    According to Edmund's information, yes. The spare is in its own "tray" and does not take up any additional trunk space.

I'll certainly know when I take a test drive this coming Saturday.
    Current design trends are moving towards the more cosseted (i.e. claustrophobic). Just look at the Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang as examples. It also makes designing a more aerodynamic car possible.

Gotta pay something for that 0.28 drag-coefficient. ;)
    I am trying to remember back to when I took A test drive, if the spare was listed as a seperate option (the Cruz was the same way). No chance I am relying on an inflator kit and going no spare on a car without run flats (which I also dont want).

the problem with that lower lever model (even with the pop equip package) is no moonroof. To me, that means no sale. I also won't buy a car with steelies and hubcaps.

Alloys are an easy dealer add-on (or aftermarket). I've heard of some folks who have had good luck with aftermarket power moonroofs, but I don't think I'd do that. I don't need a moonroof that badly.

If wheel covers are good looking, I don't mind them at all--actually prefer them. The Elantra's look OK, but I've seen better e.g. on my Sentra.
    Ah, I forgot about the moon-roof, Backy. Good point. That could be a deal-breaker for some (but not for me).

I could deal with the "steelies and hubcaps" if I can get the Aero Kit I mentioned.
    I am still hoping that when the touring gets the latest upgrades (new body etc) that it offers the MT on higher trim levels. The sedan is out for me because I don't want the base model.

I fear that if they do offer the MT it may only be with some goofy "performance" engine that does not get good gas mileage.

We shall see I suppose.
    "if the spare was listed as a seperate option"

we will see more of this type of mkting both from a cost aspect, but moreso, so they can advertise lower curb weights. And even a donut steel wheel spare is very heavy.

They also get to do their slalom tests to acquire higher passes if the car doesn't have 50 lb of assort spare tire stuff.

There is a chance that a spare in place will affect rear-end crash ratings also. Probably improve it, but not if a big hit drives that spare between the elbows of two rear seat passengers, so we can't assume.

Funny, I know we both love out sticks shifts, yet you won't have a car without a leaky (in winter) PITA extra liability and more unsafe moonroof, and i would MUCH prefer a car without one. I would go so far as to say that if i was given the option to PAY a moonroof price to get my car loaded the way i wanted (premium sound system, heated seats etc) but get it WITHOUT the moonroof, I would actually do that. Takes all kinds to keep our world interesting.

I never have been a fan of moonroofs since i quit smoking about 20 years ago. But I really took on an against attitude when my black X Trail roof would leak right into the car on bright sunny days on a -20 cold winter day. It would melt the snow, but freeze in the draintubes at the point they don't have sun warming the A pillars they route down through. And when that happned, well the water had nowhere to go but inside the vehicle. It has destroyed possessions ON the seat before I discovered it. And was not too healthy to the seat or seat heaters either or seltbelt sensor either.

In the summer the roof was faultless in a torrential rainstorm. But a PITA when ope even a bit. Noisy and was more than willing the suck your change from a hundred dollar bill after the drive-thru, right out of it once pulling out onto the freeway. oh ya...gimme a moonroof, i realy need that hot beating sun beating down on me and the higher ins costs and tha boulder against my ear when someone cuts me off and they rolled me over.. just gotta have one.. :sick:

it may sound like i am being too intense, but no I'm fine, just stating my case against 'em. To each their own right?
    How about the 2.0T in the Elantra SE? It's rated 22/33 mpg in the heavier Sonata. Would probably do better in the Elantra. Beef up the suspension some, and what a rocket that would be.

Although 148 hp is more than enough for me, given all the urban driving I do.

The fact that the current Touring SE has a standard stick (B&M short-throw shifter no less) is a good omen for a stick on the high-end next-gen Touring.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Saw this today while bringing my kids Accent to check some stuff. Beautiful color & with the 16" alloys, it looked unbelievable. I can honestly say that if I were in the market for a new car today, I'd leave Honda & run to the Hyundai store...and I've yet to test drive one yet! I think the wife will be duly impressed next year when she tests/buys her next ride. I've tried most of the Japanese/ Korean brands now and see a Hyundai in the cards for us.

Haven't seen my favorite color yet, the titanium looking Elantra...that car checks all the boxes for us & don't even need the Limited, as the wife hates sun/moon roofs anyhow. Wish we could just trade in the Mazda 3 like...tomorrow!! Think I've gotten the bug...badly!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Dropped off our 2005 Tucson for service and saw a 2011 Silver Elantra Limited in the showroom. GREAT looking car. It's as roomy as my '93 Nissan Maxima. Trunk is very large, and the rear seat comfortable for adults. More than enough leg room for 6-footers. A tad twisty getting in and out, and the short hood will take some getting used to, but I expect that because I hold on to cars forEVEAHHH. It's a choice between the Sonata and the Elantra. Buying time should be in less than six months. Wife liked the price (Under $22K for a loaded Limited) so she might not be as opposed to leather and a sunroof as in the past. Keep yer fingers crossed for me.
    Here is a link to owners who noticed the missing spare tire. It's not there.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t56209-i-bought-the-2011-elantra.htm
    I know it comes that way. I just can't remember if they show the spare tire delete as a -$ option on the sticker, or if a spare tire is a seperate option. In any case, you do have the choice of having a donut too.

last time I had a flat, I was on a highway 200 miles from home, and the sidewall ripped. by the time we got off the road, the tire was in tatters. That little can of sealant would have done me no good. So instead of on the donut to a hotel and tire store, it would have been onto a tow truck and I have no idea what after that.

put me on the list of people that don't want to drive without a spare, even if I had run flats