Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited February 2011
    FWIW I am pretty sure the Forte uses the Theta/Theta II engine, a newer design than the Beta. No timing belt. The old Spectra used the Beta II though.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    On 02/07 at dealer meeting Hyundai announced that Elantra Coupe would be available by January 2012.
    Also, new Azera by same timeframe.

Hyundai is on a tear.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Wonder if the 2.0T would fit in the Elantra Coupe? Man, that would be a pocket rocket, and still get 36MPG.
    A coupe, eh? Well, the body style would make that a natural. I was hoping for a new wagon though.

The new Azera (aka Grandeur) has already been introduced to the world, e.g.

http://www.speedlux.com/2012-hyundai-grandeur-azera-debuts-korea-video-showing-c- ars-evolution-1986-released/
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Someone mentioned there was a new touring in the pipeline, based on the new elantra platform. Hopefully it is reasonably wagonish like the current one, and not a glorified hatchback with compromised rear visibility.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    A coupe?? For real?? I'm really excited to hear this news! It's about time Hyundai offer a more affordable sporty coupe!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Rumor is that the coupe will be revealed at the New York auto show in April with sales sometime after that...

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2011/02/08/2012-hyundai-elantra-coupe-rele- ase-date-announced/

:shades:
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Can someone out there who actually owns a 2011 elantra tell me if this car has heated outside mirrors?
    I have looked in the brochure and it says it does......but then I have looked a number of interior pics and cannot seem to find the switch that would turn the heat on? Normally, the switch would either be on the door....next to the switches for the power windows.....or it would be located somewhere on the center stack next to the a/c and heat controls.
    If someone could chime in that would be great......and maybe also share how you would turn these heated mirrors on (assuming there are actual heated mirrors).
    Thanks
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited February 2011
    If no separate switch can be found, then if your trim level has them, they likely come on when you press rear window defroster. Common practice among various cars.

If all else fails, resort to the owner's manual?
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    edited February 2011
    since I do not own an elantra that is why I am asking for some input from someone who already owns one.

I have owned many cars in my time and have yet owned a car that had heated mirrors that did not have its own switch. Now, this switch may be tied to the rear window defroster, but that switch would have an emblem on it that showed both the mirrors and the rear window.

My MDX has the mirrors and the rear window on the same swittch....but there is an emblem on the switch that shows this......my other cars, honda, toyota, lexus, etc....are all the same.

So if someone who actually owns one can take a look into your owner's manual that would be great......or maybe you have already used the heated mirrors and already know how they turn on or off......if you could drop a line that would be great.

By the way...according to the brochure......the heated mirrors are suppose to be standard on both the GLS and the Limited models.

Thanks
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    edited February 2011
    My 2010 GLS has heated mirrors and the do in fact operate when you turn on the rear defroster. We had snow yesteday and the mirrors remained clear while the rear defroster was on. I'm sure it is the same for the 2011.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Many times, on the mirrors them selves will be the heated icon of a square mirror with heat lines radiating up.

Every car I've owned that has had heated mirrors has used the rear defrost switch to control them. But none have had icons for both the rear glass & mirrors. That includes my wife's '01 Elantra. I think it's just assumed by some manufacturers that rear defrost = rear defrost of everything that might need it.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • mikeopinesmikeopines Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new Elantra GLS with the preferred package for $17000. I was successful in refusing to pay all of the dealer add-on charges, leaving only tax and title plus finance charges at 3.9%. The car was for my son and I drove it 2200 miles across country to deliver it. I got a good feel for the quality of the car, driving through snow, up mountains, in cities and in desserts. Basically the car is sound, comfortable and fun to drive for a compact car. However, it has drawbacks. The four cylinder engine does fine on flat highways, but it's underpowered for merging into traffic uphill from an entrance ramp. It also transmits every bump both in feel and noise. Hyundai cut corners by giving buyers a can of tire slime and compressor rather than a spare tire. I bought an emergency spare, jack and tire tool from a wrecked 2010 Elantra rather than travel without a spare. They also didn't put key locks on the trunk, glove box or console meaning there is no safe place to secure items. The headlights are not automatic (a pain if you are not used to turning off lights). A real surprise was that the great warranty - 60,000 mile bumper to bumper and 100,000 power train - pushed by the salesman is not transferable to a second buyer and there are exceptions to the "bumper to bumper" 60,000 mile warranty. The 60,000 miles of roadside service also doesn't apply to flats, since they sell you a can of tire slime to fix flats. I still like the car and believe that will provide good service, but it could be a lot better for very little additional cost.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporters seeks to interview a recent car buyer who opted for an Elantra or Cruze after considering Corolla. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, February 14, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

As others have already mentioned, Hyundai utilizes the rear defrost button to control the heated side mirrors but does not put a different marking on the button. My previous 03 Tiburon operated the mirrors in this fashion.
    Are you sure the lights won't turn off automatically? Hyundai designs their lights to turn off after the engine has been shut off and you open the driver's door. They won't automatically turn on, but should turn off. In fact, the headlights should turn off as soon as the engine is cut off, followed by the parking lights when the driver's door is opened.
    What kind of desserts? Jello? Pudding? Creme pie maybe? (wink)

Re transmission of bumps... did you check tire pressures before the cross-country trip? A common delivery problem is the dealer not adjusting the tire pressures to spec before delivery. They are over-inflated on the truck.

Lack of key locks on trunks and glove boxes is becoming pretty common these days, unfortunately. But I've never seen a car in this class with a lockable center console. At least the standard alarm might be a bit of a deterrent. If thieves get through that, I wonder if a lock on the glove box will stop them?

The Hyundai powertrain warranty (beyond 5/60k) hasn't been transferable to other buyers for many years. For a few years after it was introduced, it could be transferred to another owner within the same family, but not any more. I don't think you'll find any other "bumper-to-bumper" warranties that have no exclusions. Some luxury brands offer free maintenance, but not in this class of cars.

I am surprised the headlights aren't auto-off. That was one of the things I like about the Hyundais I've owned (2001 and 2004 Elantras, and 2007 Sonata). Maybe that feature was dropped when DRLs were added. I think 2011 was the first year those were standard, in the USA at least.

If I got a 2011 Elantra I'd go out and get a spare also. Would be nice if it were at least an easy option for those who want one.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Thanks for the review Mike. It's disappointing to hear about the noise and lack of power, but those type of complaints are subjective. I doubt that one can find a car in that price range which is quieter and more powerful. I guess it's the nature of the category. (semi-econobox)
    I came out of a restaurant after eating dessert and the lights were still on even though I had locked the car with the remote. If they are designed to go off, it doesn't work. As far as the ride, the tires were properly inflated. Test drive an Elantra on a rough road above 55 mph and you will see what I mean. It's very comfortable on smooth expressways, but there are few of those going through Texas. I like the car, but it has drawbacks. As far as the locks, not having one on the trunk is the biggest problem. Like a lot of cars, you can open the trunk from inside the car. My BMW's and Lexus allow you to set the lock so that you can only open the trunk with the key. With the Elantra someone can break a window to open the trunk to get your clubs. If you disconnect the cable, it might be possible to open it with the remote depending on where the accuator is located. However if you have a failure of the accuator, you're screwed.
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    The lights on my 2011 Elantra shut off after a few minutes, but it is a Limited, w/o NAV. With NAV, they work like they do in other cars with AUTO ON/OFF headlights.

I have had other cars, i.e. an Acura, that also doesn't have a trunk lock on the outside.

Personally, I find the ride fine, even at 55+ on bumpy roads. It is firm, but well-controlled, in my opinion. True, it's not a Lexus or a BMW, but it cost $17,000. I find the ride better than most other cars in its class. Civic is even firmer, not well-controlled. Corolla is softer, not at all controlled. Golf rides probably the best of them all, in my opinion.
    Check the owner's manual. There should be a lockout in the trunk, usually that's on the latch itself, that disables the inside trunk release. I don't recall if the seatback releases are inside the trunk or not on the 2011 Elantra. If they are inside the trunk, and there's a deactivation for the inside trunk lid release, there's no way someone can get into the trunk even if they break a window. Also realize that if someone breaks a window and tries to open a door when the car is locked, the alarm will go off. Also, the alarm will go off if the trunk is opened without first unlocking the car with the keyfob.
    The seat back releases are in the trunk.
    I test drove the SE before buying the GLS. The SE has several improved features that would have been well worth the money if I had not been trying to hold down the note to stay within my son's budget. One of the features was the 17" wheels and different tires which seem to produce a better ride and more stability. Lower models come with either 15" or 16" wheels. I got the 16" alloy wheels. With the exception of rough roads at high speeds, the noise and ride quality are good. The SE was better but cost more - that's why they produce different versions. I am pleased with the GLS and would recommend it for the price. However, for a few hundred dollars more they could put in a spare, a trunk lock and improve the ride. Everthing else is at the top of the class. I still have a personal objection to non-transferable warranties that hurt the resale value. Hyundai, like some other manufacturers, has factored in that most owners will trade the vehicle before it reaches the time and mileage limits thereby reducing future warranty liabilities. My salesman, of course, failed to mention that the long warranties apply only to the first owner.
    My salesperson told me that Hyundai would be coming out with a spare tire kit as an accessory soon. Of course, until I see it I believe him as much as your salesman re: the warranty.
    I am a little fuzzy, but I thought the one I looked at back in december had a tire added. either that, or it was on the sticker as a delete credit?

Might be getting confused, since the Cruz I also saw at about the same time had the same deal.

Me, I ain't taking it without a tire in there!

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Somewhere recently i read a guy went to wrecking yard and picked up a fullsize from a 2010. As long as bolt pattern and clearances and outside perimeter is adhered to, I think that is the best way to go. It will cost half what a new one from the dealer would charge.
    Personally, I think that an OEM spare including same allow design, should be part of any package. It is on my CRV and when I rotate my tires, I intro'd the spare so that it becomes part of the rotation routine. In doing that, it actually extends the life of the tires more than just the extra 20% because it allows for uneven wear tendencies to be spread around to the spare every 4th tire rotation sequence.

But I can't tell you how rare this is. And close to home. Even my own nephew with his new FJ came with a matched spare, and later when he asked me what tires to buy, I found out he hadn't rotated the spare into the mix. I know I reminded him to do that back when he bought the truck. And boy did it cost him, because what he decided on, was different than the outide circumference of the OEM, so he had to buy a new spare also :( I think he sold the BRAND NEW OEM spare for a pittance of its worth.

Some people are hard to help..
    A lot of cars just don't have a big enough well for a FS inflated tire. especially these days when some are really big!

so unless you want it loose in the trunk, a donut might be the only way to go.

I wasn't aware the 2011 Elantra is available in an SE trim. I thought it was just GLS and Limited.

I would be really surprised if the lower-profile tires with 17" rims provided a better/smoother ride than 15" or 16" wheels. I would think it would be the opposite, although the 17" wheels should improve handling a bit.
    When I test drove the GLS with 16" wheels and the Limited with 17" wheels, my experience was as you describe. The GLS was smoother, but, among other things, I liked the tautness of the Limited.
  • elantra21elantra21 Member Posts: 4
    I am enjoying my new GLS and love the car. I am having one issue in that my front defrost light will not shut off. I can select the different heating means but at no point am I able to deactivate it. The rear defrost works fine. I checked the manual and saw nothing to state if this is normal. Does anyone else notice this or can you turn on and off the front defroster. I would have liked a spare as well
    So for example, when you select "front vents", the air is still blowing out of the front defroster vents instead of the front dash vents? Weird.
    Thanks for the reply. No the functionality is fine. The issue is it won't "shut off" or more accurately the light stays on. I can hit the button for the rear defrost and it will light up or light off. But the front defrost light is staying on. I can't seem to deactivate it. Perhaps it's just a minor glitch.
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Simply select another air flow pattern like the upper vents or the floor vents. The defrost light will turn off and the light for the airflow selected will illuminate.
    Thanks for the reply. I did noticed that I can do that, but I thought it odd that I had to have some form of vent/deforst action on and can't jsut shut it all down. Maybe that's just the way the cars are made know where you must have some action taking place.
    The rear defroster in my old mercedes has an automatic shutoff after xx minutes. Once it is on, it won't turn off by the pressing the button again.

Guess the thinking here is if you change the airflow you don't need the defroster anymore and it disengages it.
    OK. Thanks for the infpu. Appreciate it.
  • mgibbsmgibbs Member Posts: 4
    My two week old 2011 Elantra (approx. 450 miles on it at this moment) has an odd engine sound that sounds like marbles in the engine. I first noticed it on the way home from the dealership after purchasing the car a couple weeks back. It is quite noticeable when the gas pedal is just barely depressed. When I mentioned it to the service tech at the dealership, he said "It's just the valve timing, as long as it's not too loud don't worry about it." Not sure I'm buying that, but if it is the valve timing (CVVT), I'm worried that it will only get worse and by the time the car has 50,000 miles on it the engine could require replacement. My old Taurus with 143,000 miles on it sounded 'newer' than my new Elantra, and honestly, it's a bit frustrating as it is diminishing my enjoyment of an otherwise stellar vehicle.

Has anyone else heard the same noise in their new Elantra? If so, any info on what could be causing it? thanks.
    Not sure about the sound of marbles, but direct injection engines do tend to have more engine noise. I'd describe it more like a rough idle/cold engine sound than marbles.

You might go back to the dealer & see if some of the Elantras on the lot exhibit the same noise. If they don't, you've got a case that they need to take a look at your car.
    The Elantra does not have a DI engine yet. So that isn't it.

I agree though that noises are highly subjective. and real hard to diagnose over the internet! So I always recomment driving a couple of other new cars to compare. Shouldn't have to go far, just around the lot.

if they are the same, then it is just normal. If they don't sound like yours, make them look at it harder.

You are correct about the Elantra not (yet) having a DI engine. My bad for thinking it had one.
    Thanks for the replies. My plan was to also check out another one to see if it makes the same noise. If it does, then it's probably normal, but if not, then I know something isn't quite right with mine. Hopefully the dealer will take my concerns seriously and not just blow me off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • iammilitarymaniammilitaryman Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up my 2011 Elantra last night and I also notice this "marble" sound when radio is down and I am going very slow with little gas applied. My first thought was that it is probably the valve noise I was hearing but also worried enough about it to google it and found this forum post...

Any other 2011 owners experience this?

PS... Loving my new Elantra so far!
    Hopefully other's will chime in with their experiences. Before I bought mine I checked out Edmunds and every review was glowingly positive. Let's just hope it's nothing defective and just the 'signature' noise of the valve train.
    Yea, I hear it! Doesn't bother me. Enjoy your new car!
  • slowlearner1slowlearner1 Member Posts: 35
    I know its really hard to talk mpg because of all the variables. I am concerned because of the wide range of results I see when reading reviews. So I'm going to try and narrow the question and answers. I do a lot of highway driving (65, 70) and am interested in what owners are experiencing at that speed.
    MPG is very important to me...replys appreciated...
    Jim
    Here is a link that you may have already seen that I just commented on:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t57196-st-80-2011-fuel-economy.htm
    At this point three people have replied to this post stating they hear the noise in their car as well, so it is starting to look the noise is 'normal' for this engine. My only concern with the noise is...will it get worse with time? Does it indicate a design flaw in the first year run of the engine, and will I get stuck holding the bag if the engine needs major repair or replacement AFTER the warranty has expired?

IMO, those are valid concerns. So while I do 'enjoy' my car, I would certainly 'enjoy' it more if it didn't make a up sound that a 10 year old car doesn't make! It makes the engine sound cheap and flimsy. YMMV.
  • hondacbr1khondacbr1k Member Posts: 12
    I have an Elantra LTD and I notice a noise in the valve train upon startup but this is normal for Hyundai Engines (my Genesis sounded like rocks were bouncing around for the first few seconds). But I do not notice it in regular driving (although I gave the car to my wife and I'm now driving a Chevy Cruze). But it would seem to me maybe you are hearing a bit of engine knock. Have you tried running Premium fuel to see if it goes away?

Also, relative to the gas mileage I never got anywhere near the advertised MPG. the best I ever showed was 37MPG and that was after a MPG reset and driving 55mph on a straight road. If I put my foot into the pedal at all I seemed to get awful mileage (recorded an average of 23.7MPG on a tank) which was all around town driving. Granted this is on a new engine but I expected way better. My Cruze is averaging 27-28mpg around town and that is a new engine as well. Now that the wife has had the Elantra for a couple of weeks I checked the trip computer the other day and she is averaging 32.7MPG on mostly hwy driving. Good but not great. Her V6 Saturn Aura averaged 28.8.
    I found this part very encouraging:

... a midlevel GLS with automatic transmission was just as satisfying to drive and comfortable as the high-end Limited Premium model.

So I won't feel like I'm "slumming" with the GLS. (wink)

Also:

Electric power steering. Hard for automakers to tune right, but Hyundai nailed it.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2011-02-24-hyundai-elantra_N.- htm
  • ondamanondaman Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I just bought my 2011 Elantra last week. My first non-Honda/Toyota car, took a chance on Hyundai. The 2 power chargers in front and passenger side suddenly not working anymore. I charged my phone with them 2x before and I know they used to work. So I called dealer today and was asked to come over. Service was friendly and prompt. After 1 hr, tech told me 2 fuses blew. Now I'm curios what could have caused the fuses to get busted. I have an Apple iphone 4 charger, nothing fancy. I had same charger in my other cars for 3+ yrs, no issues.
    Anyone else had fuse or electrical problems?
    Thanks