Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• troy3162troy3162 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2011 Elantra Limited without the Navigation package. Have 700 miles on it.

Problem: Upon delivery, the passenger outside mirror wouldn't operate correctly. The mirror would go up and down but not left to right. Dealer said it was probably a fuse but I knew better since it would move up and down.

Solution: Service department stated that it was a faulty interior switch that is used to adjust both outside mirrors. Part is on back order with no ETA.

Problem: Drove the car on a morning 10 mile trip and parked it at my house. I turned it off and started into my house when I realized I needed to park it a little closer to the garage. I got back in the car and the ignition wouldn't turn the engine. Checked that I was fully in Park, made sure the steering wheel wasn't locked. Had full battery, all lights and radio operated fine but the started wouldn't engage the engine.

Solution? Hyundai roadside assistance was called and they couldn't determine the problem either. Had the car towed to the nearest dealer and when they unloaded the car from the tow truck, the service man got into the car and it started right up. They tested the engine codes and there were no codes displayed that a problem had occurred. Three days later and still no problems. Weird, don't you think?
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Driving tonight through heavy rain, I noticed a loud sound coming from one of the rear wheels of my new Elantra 2011 sedan. I have 1000 miles on it. When I got home I had hubby take the car for a test drive and he said it is definitely coming from a rear wheel and thought it could be a bearing or an axle. Hope the dealer can look at it tomorrow. Anyone have a problem like this with their new Elantras?
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Update. Got it into dealer. They made it clear that if I hit a pothole it would not be covered under warranty. Thankfully it was just a torn mudflap hitting the wheel which will cost me just $13.00 to have replaced. They ordered the part.
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    I like the "probably the fuse" diagnosis. Hopefully that start thing was just a fluke but it sure is interesting that there were no engine error codes. Keep us posted.

I'm looking for the Limited but it seems I may have to go into a dealer and haggle on a price then order what I want. Not many out there from Sacramento to Orange County.
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    the car reviews that read on the '11 Elantra are pretty glowing with the exception of "pronounced engine and road noise" - according to Consumer Reports. I wonder if this is a simple insulation fix that would be coming in '12?

I must say after seeing the engine on the new Ford Fiesta, the engine in the Elantra looks much more substantial.
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    I'd suggest you test drive the elantra and make the decision yourself. I have a Limited with 1250 miles. I don't find the engine noisy. You hear it under heavy acceleration, but don't find the sound at all objectionable. I think the tires are what cause the road noise. On some pavements, they are very quiet, on others, noisier. And this is from someone who was driving a Camry. In my opinion, the elantra is a great car...comfortable, fun to drive, roomy, high quality, excellent mileage, etc.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Sat in a new Elantra at the dealer today & was duly impressed with what I saw...comfortable seats with everything right where your hands expect it to be. The switchgear felt like it came from a more expensive vehicle, felt pretty substantial and sturdy, and when the lights are on, the dash has a very pleasing color. All in all a very nice vehicle & way better than the last generation. Think Hyundai has a winner here folks.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    agreed about the engine. Like any small car, when you put the pedal down you are going to hear, if you use a heavy foot you will hear it. But if you drive easy, the engine is super quiet. At 65mph on the highway at 2100RPM, i barely hear anything. In my comparison drives with the Fiesta and Cruze, the elantra engine had more power, pickup, and seemed to shift smoother, but was no more loud than any of them. (The Fiesta engine seems SO small to me)

Road noise on certain types of highway is noticeable, but that is true of any car in this category.

In mixed driving with my Elantra Limited, I have averaged about 31.5-32mpg on a full tank. The winter weather and ethanol mix has affected that negatively somewhat, I expect to be averaging about 33-34 once summer starts, but on a 30-mile stretch of highway, i averaged 40mpg. Where i think the Elantra underperforms a bit mileage wise is around town with starts and stops.

One thing I did notice, the sweet spot for mileage tends to be around 60-65mph. I put it on cruise control at 65mph for the commute to and from work, and the gas mileage improves significantly.

Some annoyances with the Elantra though,
    - no low washer fluid light,
    -the door cup holders dont fit anything other than a skinny soda or water bottle, -the center cup holders will only take one item with a handle (coffee mug) despite the two holes, and if you have a handled travel coffee mug in the slot, it's tough for a decent size water bottle to fit the other.
    -The radio controls are a stretch for those who have the seat back a bit, you have to actually reach forward to access them.
    -The trip computer's MPG readings are about 1-1.5mpg overly optimistic compared to actual mileage (not sure if that's due to winter weather and ethanol mix)

All in all though, a nice car. Still trying to get used to it after 10 years in a VW Passat, but happy overall with my purchase, especially after I'm saving 50$ a month in fuel costs.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    With a 6AT, I am surprised the RPMs are as high as 2100 @ 65 mph. On my Sentra, it doesn't cross 2000 RPMs until 70 mph (but it's a CVT).

I've noticed the sweet spot for FE for most cars is around 55-60 mph. There's a reason the national speed limit was set at 55 in the early '70s. And the EPA ratings are based on that kind of speed, not 70-80 mph that a lot of folks drive.

-The radio controls are a stretch for those who have the seat back a bit, you have to actually reach forward to access them.

Doesn't the Limited have audio controls on the wheel?
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    Yes, the Limited has audio controls on the steering wheel including a mute button. This is also part of an option package on the GLS.

Doesn't the Limited have audio controls on the wheel?

Yeah, dumb me forgot to finish the thought. Hard to reach but thankfully i have the limited with the controls on the wheel, otherwise tall people like me would be hosed.

I really like the Bluetooth setup. Nice to play my Iphone music and take calls without any cables
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Saw a few of these at my local dealer on Thursday and fell in love...nice alloys & loved the interior in that everything was right where my hands needed them to be & the seats were a bit more comfortable than my current Civic's. Titanium with the gray interior is a nice combo & the one the wife would probably get. Sat in the new Equus and it was amazing! The thrones were extremely comfortable with the perforated leather...very soft & buttery feel to them with so many adjustments...my spine would love it! Loved the Genny also...a nicely put together vehicle but too big for our needs.

The Elantra or the new Accent would be just perfect for the wife...hopefully the new Accent will have a prefered package with more goodies on it...mt kids is nice & is the top of the line for the '08 Accent but lacks cruise which I just found out on Thursday. Hopefully the new one will have it plus more upgrades.
    The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    The elantra limited I drove (just before Xmas, when first out) was very impressive. I imagine the Accent will be too, and possibly even better MPG.

Now they just need to make a wagon (or at least a hatch) version of one of them!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

There is a hatch version of the new Accent, but it's called Veloster vs. Accent. A hatch or wagon version of the new Elantra has been rumored, and is likely given there's already an Elantra wagon (Touring).
    I want to see the next touring. I kept seeing the velostar referred to as a replacement for the tiburon. No way I am interested in something like that.

It's really a much different car than the Tiburon--really a more highly stylized Accent hatchback, with a third door (on passenger side). I saw one at the local auto show today, in lime green. It looked better up close than in photos.
    I didn't mean it was the same car, more that it was taking over the market slot (spiritual successor?)

I'm not into a little sporty coupe. I want a station wagon, and since those are hard to find, a 5 door hatch would be close enough!

• ondamanondaman Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I have a month old 2011 Elantra (GLS Preferred A/T trim), lately I'm noticing wheel is slowly veering left when driving on straight, flat roads. It is very noticeable. Anyone having this issue as well?

** Added info: In 4 weeks, I've been back to dealer service shop twice. On first week, both front power outlets stopped working (busted fuse). On 3rd week, the passenger side power outlet again stopped working (another busted fuse). So I bought 2 spare fuses from service in case fuse blows up again. I have regular iphone chargers on both outlets. Same chargers I've been using with my '07 Honda Pilot the last 4 yrs with no issues.
  • pud2pud2 Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2011
    Made a deal with the dealer today, for a 2011 Limited--- loaded, in that beautiful cherry red metallic color(Sorry, don't know the "proper" name of the color!), with the dark leather interior...
    Absolutely stunning car, supposed to pick it up after work tomorrow. Dealer is gonna' pin stripe it for me, and get it ready.
    I have a 2008 Sonata, which has been fabulous, main reason I looked at Hyundai again.
    I cannot believe a car as nice as that Elantra gets the fantastic gas mileage also :)
    Appreciate hearing from any Limited purchaser's out there!
    Umm...heated seats, front & rear!!
    Hi,
    I have a month old 2011 Elantra (GLS Preferred A/T trim), lately I'm noticing wheel is slowly veering left when driving on straight, flat roads. It is very noticeable. Anyone having this issue as well?

Hi, I had the same problem with my Elantra at first. I took it back to the dealer, and it was slightly out of alignment. They did an alignment at no cost and everything has been golden since.
    edited March 2011
    Hi,

Hi, I had the same problem with my Elantra at first. I took it back to the dealer, and it was slightly out of alignment. They did an alignment at no cost and everything has been golden since.
    Love my heated seats, love my steering wheel audio controls and bluetooth. Really nice little car. I got the dark blue with gray interior. That red looks REALLY nice
  • yennhi2yennhi2 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, how much you paid for the limited?
    Congrats on the new Elantra!
    I'm also looking for the Limited out here on the west coast. What kind of deal did you get?
  • mailboxmwmailboxmw Member Posts: 1
    I also just purchased the red Elantra Limited with navigation. I should be picking up the car in a matter of 48 hours or less. I'm also adding an OEM wing to the back, window tint, woodgrain dash kit and upgrading the Nav to XM Everything with weather.

I compared to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Cruze and Mazda 3. There was absolutely no comparison in price and warranty. The Chevy Cruze had just a little bit better interior with remote start. The Mazda 3 was a little more fun to drive.

However, the overall winner went to the New Hyundai Elantra Limited. The car is incredible!
    OEM wing?
    Tell me about this!
    Any links to go see one?? :confuse:
    In Missouri in January, paid 19500 for limited , no nav. MSPR was 20,800 .
    edited March 2011
    MSRP was 23900....Got the car for 21500, before taxes & fees....total was $22,400 out the door.
    Drove it 40 miles home tonight in the rain, I think it is gonna' be around for a LONG time!
    Very nice, still have a lot to learn about the nav,(although got started on it), and surprisingly, the sound system isn't bad either!
    Still can't get over how good looking that red with the black leather interior looks....dealer did a kinda' charcoal pinstriping, looks VERY nice!!
    sounds really nice. I hope to be driving the same car out in california. If this elantra is anything like the previous two generations your right about driving this car for a long time. I've purchased two new elantras and they were virtually repair free, a 2003 for my son, a 2007 for my daughter. now its my turn...buying a 2011 for myself!
    Again, congrats!
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    $23,900?

Was it loaded with dealer extras? Normally it would be around $22,880.
    edited March 2011
    Yes, it had $900.00 and change on for stuff like lifetime state inspections, nitrogen tires refilled, car wash's for life, etc......Dealer just threw that in no charge.
    So, overall, I think my price was good. Maybe not rock bottom, but for today, not too bad..... ;)
    You got a pretty good deal! We got our for the same price off the $22.880 MSRP. We were happy with that considering a limited with navigation was could not be found in our area in December.

Enjoy your Elantra!
  • imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    I might pull the trigger on the following purchase tomorrow:

2011 Elantra Limited w/ Prem Pkg, Floor Mats, and iPod Cable
    Titanium Gray Ext. / Black Leather Int.
    MSRP $22,830

Deal:
    $21,250 (Car as noted above)
    $249.95 Doc Fee
    $1505 Tax
    $18 Tag/Registration
    $23,022.95 Out The Door

Only thing is I have to travel 100 miles to this dealer. Only one other dealer can get the exact same car and color combo for me. That dealer, who is about 15 miles away, is asking exactly $700 more for the exact same car (it'll be arriving any day now on his lot), and he won't/can't match the other's price. These 2 dealers are the only ones within a reasonable distance who have/can get the car and colors I am looking for anytime soon. Seems to be worth the extra drive to me. What do you think? I'm gonna sleep on it tonight.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    Assuming both dealers are good and competent when the chips are down (you need them and you need them to be honest and responsible) then I would go to your closest one and say: "Are you sure? I am about to drive up there after I hear your 'nope'". Then show them a wad of bills. But then, if he still says no, go to the car and leave and get a coffee. Don't be too quick to put your seat belt on etc. Then come back and say, look my wife says we might as well offer $100 more because it will cost us that just to go to the other dealer. Wait and see, then up it to $200 if need be, and if they call your bluff then, tell them to go stuff themselves in the nicest way you know how (because you might need them in the future). Before you do any of this, make sure other dealer isn't pulling a bait and switch on you once you have driven the miles.

If they stand firm, they likely think they have the car sold to someone else for the extra. But they should remember the old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Ask them if they know that saying LOL. :shades:

Good luck.

Sam
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....everything about the 2011 Elantra except one thing; the price. It used to be one of the things that made Hyundais so attractive was the fact they were priced considerably lower than their competitors. They must have let all the good reviews go their heads because Hyundais are now as expensive as all the other brands...
    All the other brands except... Honda (Civic). Toyota (Corolla). Chevy (Cruze). Mazda (3). Ford (2012 Focus). VW (Jetta). And about the same as Nissan and Kia.

So go ahead and go down to your local Hyundai dealer and lay a big smootch on the hood of that shiny new 2011 Elantra! :)
    you also have to do the math comparing features. Comparably equipped, the Elantra is still a bargain.

edited March 2011
    Something else to consider... back in 2000, I bought one of the first all-new 2001 Elantras to hit the USA. It was a GLS with stick and Package 2 (cruise, remote keyless entry with alarm), and mats; MSRP was $13,412. Adjusted for inflation, that's $17,237 in 2011.

The 2011 Elantra GLS with stick, PEP (includes A/C and cruise) and mats lists for $16,895. So in fact, the 2011 Elantra costs LESS than a comparable Elantra from ten years ago! But the 2011 Elantra has a lot that the 2001 Elantra didn't at that price:

* ABS
    * ESC with traction control
    * 4-wheel disc brakes
    * 6 airbags (vs. 4)
    * 6-speed stick (vs. 5)
    * 16" wheels (vs. 15")
    * Telescopic steering column
    * Audio system with CD player, satellite radio, aux input and iPod input
    * Fold-down rear seat center armrest
    * Trunk release on the keyfob
    * Trip computer
    * 29/40 mpg EPA rated (vs. 21/30)

And not to mention, a much nicer car inside and out. To its credit, the 2001 Elantra did have an 8-way adjustable driver's seat and a spare tire.

So, a lot more features for less money than in 2000. What's not to love?
    If you look at some of the early posts in this thread you'll see that people are paying $22-$23K for the '11 Elantra. That's more than fully loaded Civics, Corollas, or the Cruz. At that price the Elantra is no longer the bargain it once was...
    I thought fully loaded Corollas and Chevy Cruze (and yes, the Ford Focus and Honda Civic) were thousands more to a comparable Elantra with navi. Ok, maybe not the Corolla......Can you even get a Civic with navi? Too lazy to go the each website.......
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    It's amazing what people will pay for rear seat heaters, and a USB and iPod socket.
    All cheap things that they it would appear that they can get thousands for basically. They would have offered a heated steering wheel if they weren't probably reserving it for the 2012 Sonatas.

I'd like to know how their traction control works. Cheap systems use the brakes on the wheel with traction. The not as cheap systems like VW's, force torque to the slipping wheel without using the brakes. Now THAT is impressive as it can provide true 2WD instead of 1 and a fraction WD. And they do it on their least expensive car.

I am also curious to see how well Hyundai's home built 6 speed auto stands up. Will they be problem free long after 200k miles? 300k miles would be a lot more impressive though as it more closely represents a 10 or 12 year ownership.

Sam
    Some people have to be the first on their block with a new model. And they pay for that privilege. Prices are always higher when a new design debuts, until the gotta-have-it buyers are satiated.

That's more than fully loaded Civics, Corollas, or the Cruz.

Let's look at the numbers...

Fully loaded Elantra (Limited, w/all options: $22,880 MSRP

Fully loaded Civic (EX-L with Nav): $24,705

Fully loaded Corolla (LE with options as close as possible to equipment on Elantra, BUT Corolla doesn't offer leather or nav, and doesn't offer 17" wheels so 18" wheels added instead): $22,606

Fully loaded Cruze (LTZ with options as close as possible to equipment on Elantra, i.e. nav and moonroof): $25,865

So loaded Civics and Cruzes are quite a lot more than a loaded Elantra, and the "loaded" Corolla is a couple hundred less than the Elantra... but a "loaded" Corolla doesn't have leather or nav (or 6AT or mid-sized interior room or 29/40 mpg EPA fuel economy or heated seats or...).
    I'd like to know how their traction control works.

Via engine control and/or braking control, depending on what the computer determines is needed in a given situation.

Come back in 10-12 years and we can see how the new 6AT held up. At least Hyundai backs it with a long warranty.
    edited March 2011
    I don't know where you're getting you're prices from, but those numbers aren't representative of what I see on the lots. The loaded Civic and Cruz prices I've seen are usually under $22K. As far as I'm concerned we're splitting hairs here anyway because I think ANY compact priced over about $18K, regardless of how it's optioned, is an oxy moron. Compacts are SUPPOSED to be economical cars, and that means economical to purchase as well. There's nothing economical about a $20K+ compact....Look at how much vehicle prices have gone up in just the last 8 years. My wife and I purchased a brand new, nicely equipped Mazda MPV in 2003 for $21.6K. Now I'm expected to pay more than that for a car that's half of my minivan? It's no wonder auto sales haven't been very good over the last several years. Who in the he11 can afford to buy a new car these days?
    I'm getting my pricing from Edmunds.com's New Car pricer.

No way you can get a "loaded" Civic or Cruze for under $22k list price. What you are seeing on lots are NOT "loaded" cars. I gave the pricing for loaded cars, with the equipment as similar as I could get (it's impossible to get it exactly the same).

If you want to compare pricing, and equipment, on compacts that are under $18k, we can do that. For example, for under $18k you can get an Elantra GLS automatic with mats and iPod cable, MSRP with destination $17,930.

Go ahead and pick whatever compacts you want, e.g. Civic, Corolla, and Cruze, and let's compare like-to-like. Try to pick something as close as possible to the Elantra GLS automatic and its equipment while staying under $18k. I think you'll find that's hard to do. For example, that would be the Civic DX AT ($17,355 list), the Corolla Base ($17,719 list with mats and XM radio), and Cruze LS ($18,000 list with AT the only option--we'll be nice to the Cruze and forget about the $1 over the limit--otherwise it would have to be the stick Cruze LS, not the automatic).

None of those cars has the equipment level of the Elantra GLS with AT.

p.s. that MPV would cost nearly $26k in today's dollars. As for why new car sales have been off the past couple of years... there's been this thing called the "recession." You might have heard about it... it's been in all the papers and web sites. (wink)
    I think it's the automakers who haven't heard about the recession, they keep raising the prices of their vehicles as though consumers have an endless supply of money. Many people are unemployed. Most of the rest are underemployed. Now is not the time to roll out new models with every bell and whistle imaginable and pricing economy cars through the roof. Most people buying new cars these days actually can't afford them, they are simply able to borrow enough to buy them and make payments for 8 or 10 years. And $26K for a new MPV today would be a bargain compared to paying $22K-$23K for a compact...
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I totally agree with bottgers here. The days of heavily discounted Hyundais may be over. The Toyotas and Hondas in general may have higher prices but are more discounted at this point. In my area using American Express/Truecar/Zag, here are some examples.

Civic LX-S Auto MSRP: $19905 AMEX: $16735
    Elantra GLS Auto Pref Pkg 3 MSRP: $18350 AMEX: $18417

or

Accord SE Auto MSRP: $24480 AMEX: $20456
    Sonata GLS Auto Pop Pkg 2 MSRP: $21895 AMEX: $20487

It is early on the Elantra/late on the Civic, and I would expect a 1000 off MSRP soon, but that would still be 17350 which would be 600 to 700 more than the Civic.

If you are looking at loaded cars the Hyundais may still have some advantage, but not close to the way it used to be.

Kia still seems to have more of a value play with the Forte as they are still discounted fairly heavily.
    edited March 2011
    ...to pick on the new Hyundai. I just happen to like the looks, and it sounds like one of the best, if not THE best car in it's class now, but I just think it, and actually ALL new vehicles are overpriced given the state of the economy right now. Economy cars especially should be priced more sensibly. If people want fancier vehicles, there are always upgraded models to choose from, but it seems to me the auto makers have forgotten that subcompacts and compacts are still considered economy cars and are now pricing them into the mid sized price range....
    I like what Hyundai is doing, having bottom and top versions.

If you want a budget Elantra (or civic) they have a relatively stripped model. But, if you want one loaded up with all the toys and goodies, you can get it that way.

And some people actually want a smaller car nicely equipped, and don't want to have to go into a bigger size class just to get some nice features.

edited March 2011
    I think it's the automakers who haven't heard about the recession, they keep raising the prices of their vehicles as though consumers have an endless supply of money.

The facts don't agree with you here. A few posts ago I gave you an example of how today's 2011 Elantra actually costs LESS than the same model from 2001, adjusted for inflation, yet with much more equipment, more room, much better fuel economy, and a much nicer car overall. That's not raising prices, it's LOWERING prices. I think if you look at prices of other small cars over the last 10 years you'd see a similar picture.

And if someone can't afford a new car, there's still lots of great deals on slightly used cars--which I have favored since I bought my 2nd Elantra new in 2004.