Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like a wonderful Jeep! As far as XM goes, you'll have no problems. I have a soft top and it's invisible to the antennae. I've heard the hardtop doesn't block signal either, but don't have one to confirm. I mounted my micro antennae on top of the soundbar and get excellent reception.

-twylie
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Ray - IMHO you lucked out by not getting married. I can't imagine someone preferring a RAV4 to a Wrangler (though I do realize that a Wrangler isn't for everyone). It doesn't surprise me that you bought another one - once a person has been bitten by Wrangler fever, they won't go very long without one.

monkey5 - My hardtop didn't make a difference to my Roady's small antenna. I put it on the roll bar on the passenger's side at the corner because I was worried about the clearance between the roll bar and the top. Worked great - much better than when I tried the antenna on the dash of my Taco. You shouldn't have any problems at all.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I just saw the Rescue concept vehicle. I like it. For the life of me, I can't understand why Jeep let Hummer take the market it has. It would've seemed a natural for jeep to do something like the H2 (such as the Rescue), and do it better, before now, much less years from now. I actually think the H2 looks bloated, and the Rescue would've done very well head to head, and probably with less backlash from the greenies. Somebody is asleep at the wheel at Chrysler.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    CONGRATULATIONS! Yeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!

A RUBI! Man, you didn't mess around on your first "Jeep purchase experience," did you???

Now, just gotta know... you gonna put those selectable lockers, dana 44s, 4:1 t-case, and MT/Rs to good use??? Gonna wheel that puppy???

Where do you live? Would be glad to show you around Turkey Bay, where I go wheelin' every weekend.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Check out my website.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Ray, I believe in VA, they require mirrors, even if the doors are off. Go to Quadratec or JCW and you get brackets that mount by the windshield hinges.

If you look at my pictures in Webshots (http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_), you will see my brackets with doors on.

Navigate to the Wrangler section. Look for the photo of the new rockers.

They work just fine either way and cost less than $30.00. You can install them yourself easily. You just need a Torx bit (40 I think).

-Paul
    My family is in Richmond and I'm frequently there without doors (and side mirrors) so i was curious as well. I called the State Police and was told you have to have a minimum of 2 mirrors:

option A: drivers side mirror + windshield or dash mounted mirror

option B: drivers side mirror + passengers side mirror

It looks like to stay legal, at a minimum you'd need a mirror mover for the drivers side. The passengers side is difficult to see out of once you've used a mirror mover anyway.

HTH

-twylie
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I've been lurking for a couple of months. I 've received a ton of valuable information from this forum. I have always wanted a Wrangler and last year I bought a new Grand thinking that since it was a Jeep it might curb my "Jones". But it didn't. So I recently got a new Khaki Rubicon with Dual tops and all the goodies. I must say I love it.

No mods so far. I did get all 3 sets of Huskie liners, front, back seat and rear, and they are awesome. Highly recommend them.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'll second that, an excellent product.
    We often go barefoot during the summer season and an "almost as easy to keep clean" alternative are the mats from Catch All. They have a carpet face over rubber molded mats, but can be hosed off and scrubbed when muddy/dirty. Ours have help up pretty well over the past 3.5 years. I hit them with Scotchgard when clean and it makes them clean up a bit easier.

-twylie
    Congratulations! Also, glad you broke the ice and posted.

A RUBICON! WOW! Nice Jeep!

Where do you live? I would like to take ya wheelin', if you could manage to get to Turkey Bay in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western KY.

Haven't posted a link to my website in a long time. If you want to know more about Turkey Bay, check this out...

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

Hey, Tom!

My, my, I feel honored to have TSJAY respond to my post. I bet I've read more than a hundred of your posts. I'm just so lazy about registering for web sites. I live in the great southern meca, Memphis. How far is Turkey Bay from me?

I bought a Rubicon, not because I'm a hardcore off-roarder, but because it is one awesome Jeep, and I didn't want to be thinking that I should have bought yet a different Jeep than the one I bought.

BTW, the good news is, my wife loved my Grand Cherokee (selectrac 4wd). SO we kept it in the family and sold her Toyota Avalon (thank God!).

I've already been to your website. You know, you really should get some sort of soft top, if not for you, at least for Ross Allen ;-)
    I have wheelin' buds that come up from Memphis to meet me at Turkey Bay! It's about 3.5 hrs from Memphis to TB, I believe.

Smart move getting the Rubicon! Why not get "all the Jeep you can," right?

Bring that puppy up to TB, and we'll have a ball! I won't put you into anything too likely to lead to damage. Just some fun spots.

Tom

P.S. One of the main reasons I have not considered getting a soft top is BECAUSE of Ross Allen. He gets in and out of Thelma Jane right where the folded down top would be. He has to jump a little to get in, and he would just jump right into the top, if it was folded down across the back of the Jeep.
  • slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    Hi guys,

I don't remember if I turned off the headlights when I got to the train station this morning. Would there have been any alarm or warning if I had left the headlights on when I turned off the engine? Mine is a 2004 Wrangler X.

Thanks.

Ray
    Man, I don't think Thelma Jane warns me when I leave the lights on, but maybe it has been so long that I have just forgotten. She's an 01, so even if she doesn't warn me, that doesn't mean that they didn't add that feature later.

Hope you turned em off! You think you would have any trouble finding someone willing to give you a jump if you didn't?

Tom

Yes, it should have beeped at you, the same way as if you don't fasten your seatbelt. However, it only beeps while the ignition key is in.
    3.5 hours is not bad at all. Perhaps this fall, when it is a little cooler I'll take you up on it. I do want to take her off road, just not anything too crazy.

I know I should have a CB for this type of activity, but I'm really not interested in installing a regular size unit. Do you think those handheld types are adequate for off-road only use? I kind of like the Cobra WXST or whatever it is called. I know it's about twice the price of a normal CB, but at least I wouldn't have to install it.

My next question is have you been to the off-road park in Hot Springs and if so, how was it?
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Ray,

I went out the garage and tested Ellie’Mae’s lights for an alarm.

Here’s what I found:

1. There is a warning that sounds when the engine is turned off and let the lights left on.
    2. There are both a warning sound and a warning light. The high beam indicator flashes.
    3. The warning sounds with keys in or out of the ignition.
    4. The warning only sounds when the driver’s door is open (it is not affected by the passengers door).

Hope this helps.

Glen
    also, this is disabled if you've pulled or bypassed the interior light fuse (for example when removing doors).

-twylie
    Thanks for all your help. I am pretty sure I turned the lights off. I usually do it without even thinking about it (and that's why I don't recall turning them off).

Well, I'll find out when I get back to the train station after work this evening (and I'll be sure to let you guys know).

Thanks.

Ray
    Hand held CBs are usually adequate (barely) for the close ranges used in wheelin'. It would be much better to have a regular CB with a good antenna, though.

You can mount an antenna to the bumper, using the holes where the bolts that hold the sissy plastic bumper corners on go through. You HAVE removed those things, haven't you??? :)

The CB can be mounted in various locations, but one option is to use that little tray in the middle of the dash. Take out the rubber liner and drill the holes for the bracket in the bottom of that tray. If you ever remove the CB, you can put the rubber piece back in there, and the holes will not show.

Bring that Rubi up here! Let's get jiggy widdit! I won't try to get you to do any crazy stuff. If I want to do something that you don't want to do, no problem: I'll run it, and you can skip it.

Tom

I'll second Tom's sentiments about 'portable' CB's. The handheld cigarette versions are nice if you are in a convoy, but if you get separated and there are is terrain between you and somebody else, range is SEVERELY limited.

You may want to opt for a full CB, but when doing the installation, rig the wiring so the CB can be removed easily. A lot of times you can get knobs to clamp the CB into the frame, but just twist to remove em. Antennas can be set up to be easily removable when not is use as well.

As for TB, it is such that it is easy to get around the tougher challenges like BP Gulch and Silo Hill. If you felt uncomfortable with it, Tom could go do his thing and you could safely go around and watch him. It is definitely fun to watch, and in no time, you'll be following right behind him. :)

-Paul
    Yes, Tom, I still I have those lovely little plastic bumperettes--I guess you'd call them. The ones on the back don't bother me, but I have been seriously looking at yanking them off the front. Of course, I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a new front bumper. I love the Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers I've seen on some other sites.

This might make a good poll for others on the forum. How many of you have removed your plastic bumper thingys?

Turkey Bay sounds like a lot of fun, and I would certainly love someone with your experience there to guide me. Maybe I'll make it up there in September. The temps will be on the downturn by then. You never did say if you've been down to Hot Springs or not.
    Paul and Tom,

Do you guys have any personal experience with the Cobra 75? That looks like the only regular CB I'd like. The handset unplugs from base unit, which can be hidden behind the dash or whatever. I hate installing electronics in the car. The space is tight and the wiring drives me crazy.

I sure was thinking the regular handheld would be sweet...
    Ooops!

Yes, I have been to Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs twice. It's pretty cool. Long drive for me, though... about 8.5 hrs.

I really don't think it has anything over Turkey Bay, but it's always nice to see some new territory.

What's up with this temperature thing??? This summer has been a lot cooler than the typical summer. More rain, but less heat. Come on up! You ain't gonna melt!

Tom

Would you mind emailing me, so that I will have your email addy? Mine is public in my profile. We might want to set up a time for you to come do a little wheelin' with me or whatever.

Tom

I have a handheld CB that I use on large runs. To improve range, I also bought a magnetic base and a 3' stick antennae. I mount the mag base on the cowl beteeen the hood and windshield. My range is nearly as good as those with hard mount units. I did tune mine for best reception. On most smaller trail runs, we will use FRS/GMRS handhelds.

I removed my front bumperettes but left the rear, figuring they would crush before getting into my rear corners. I've since replaced my rear bumper and am looking to have something fabbed that will give me some protection from rocks without using an entire corner panel.

Have fun with that Rubi!

-twylie
    I'm now thinking of getting some sort of CB also, since I'm heading for Camp Jeep in a couple of weeks. Is the Cobra 75 remote unit small? I remember seeing someone posting a link to photos of an install where they put the remote unit in the corner of the 5 speed gear shifter and then covered with the boot (? - is that what you call it?). I vaguely remember reading about it a couple of years ago, and thought it was a neat install and something I would like. I know that I don't want to do the install myself, so if anyone knows of a place that does such things somewhere around SoCal, let me know.

I haven't removed the corners from my bumpers. It doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other whether they are on or not. I've been thinking of mounting the antenna on the spare tire holder, but (like others) want something that is easy to remove.

By the way, do you still use an SWR meter to adjust the antennas? I still have one around here somewhere, I think (along with a very old, full sized CB that hasn't seen a vehicle in at least 15 years). I wonder if the CB would still work - it was working when I took it out of whatever vehicle I had it in. Or have CB's developed so much that it wouldn't be worth trying to use if I decide not to go the remote unit route?
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    I finally broke down and I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Rubicon Silver/Black w/dual tops and all the other goodies. I can't wait to get the top off. I just have to figure out how to take off the hard top and where to store it. The garage is full of "stuff", so it can't be stored there. :(

I had a great experience at my dealership. My saleswoman was great! I paid invoice for the Jeep with NO hassle! I was in and out of the dealership within 2 hours (this included my test drive and inspection of the car).

Kai-Ling
    Here is an option I am considering to mount a CB in Ellie’Mae.

What do you think?

Glen

http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/pages/2/index.htm
    I did not like the whole bumper, there for I yanked the them both, plastic thingies and all.

Glen
    You can't hang it form the celling?

Glen
    Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

A BRAND NEW DUAL TOP RUBI!!!!! Way to go!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You really ought to get that hard top off at least long enough to remove the soft top and put the hard top back on, if you are going to run the hard top. It is NOT good to have both tops on at the same time. That is done for shipping purposes only. They probably warned you about that at the dealer, and if they didn't, they should have.

Tom

Congrats to all our new owners - especially the new Rubis. I'm jealous - wish I could come up with a good reason to buy one.

On the way into work today my other half asked what type of options I would want on an Unlimited. I realized that I didn't know what all the options are, since I hadn't been all that serious about buying one. Guess I'll have to read up about what's really available now. Is there really a possibility I could be driving one soon (I can't say that I could have one in the garage - I don't have a garage).
    Many people use a hoist for hardtop removal. The fact that your garage is full of 'stuff' is actually a bonus as the hardtop counts as 'stuff' too, and actually takes up very little room if you stack 'stuff' in and around it.

So, (i) remove enough 'stuff' to back Jeep into garage, (ii) hoist hardtop up to the ceiling, (iii) replace 'stuff' in garage, (iv) enjoy new Jeep.
    I'm sure your old set will still work, but I also like the idea of the Cobra 75 WX ST.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N470158F8

The remote unit can be concealed behind the dash or in the center console, and all the controls are in the handset. Additional remote units (Cobra AC-701) are available for about $20 to allow installation in multiple vehicles. The price for the whole thing is around $90.

Nothing changes with basic stuff. An SWR meter should still be used to tune an external antenna.
    twylie, what model is your handheld? I think I might go ahead and remove the front bumperettes. They're so bulbous looking. The Rubi is a blast.

I know Tom has said this before, but this is the most fun on road vehicle I've ever owned.
    mtngal, yeah, the one you're thinking of is the Cobra 75, Mac's post above shows a picture of it.
    Congratulations. Your color was going to be second choice. I bought my dual top Rubi about 2 months ago. Mine is light khaki w/dark khaki tops. I absolutely love it. The top is very easy to take off. First thing you should invest in, with a Jeep, is a set of Torx heads. I believe the Torx 45 is used to remove the hard top. Oh, yeah, and don't forget to unplug the wiring harness from the rear windshield wiper. I forgot and yanked it. It appears to be OK, but I'm a little concerned about the rear wiper working when I go to install the hardtop in a couple of months.

Doing the soft top the first time is a bit of a chore. I think I wrestled with it 45 minutes getting it installed, but once you've got it on, it's a piece of cake to put up and down. There is nothing like driving with the top down. What a blast.
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Wow, lot's of posts lately!

Congrats on the new purchases.

I went with the Cobra 75WXST. The receiver is installed more or less directly under the coin holder, making it nice and hidden. It does mean that if I ever flood Buffy, it may result in purchasing a replacement unit. From there you have easy access to grounding points and power source. The radio part hangs to the right of the steering wheel, fairly easy to attach to the receiver. The antenna (4' Wilson Flex) is mounted on the stock tire carrier. Setup works well, but I still need to tune it (as it is, I get a little over 1 km range in the city).

The "bumperettes" were removed in short order, front and back. That would make it my first mod I guess (if it counts!).

Andrew
    I am considering different ways to install a CB in my Wrangler. I found a mounting system made by company in AZ (http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/pages/2/index.htm) at a cost of about $40.00. It looks like it can be set up to remove easily (and quickly) when I don’t need the CB (should reduce the chance of theft), and place the CB up out of the way when it’s installed. Has anyone seen/used anything like this, or does anyone have a better idea.

Glen
    my handheld is a WalMart special. I think I paid $20 for it, plus another $20 for the mag mount antennae from Radio Shack.

-twylie
    Turns out I did turn off the headlights yesterday morning. So, all is well.
    Hello,

Has anyone installed side steps on a Wrangler X? In the 2004 Wrangler brochure, bodyside side steps is listed as standard on the Sahara and optional the Sport, and is not available on the SE, X, RHD and Rubicon. I have an X and I would like to add side steps to it. Is there any reason why I can't install side steps on the X?

Thanks.

Ray
    Glad it turned out that way!
    Get nerf bars or rock rails. AEV-conversions makes one, Toys By Troy, Olympic, Spyder all make great rails that really help protect better than the Mopar steps.

They cost as bit more, but they will protect the body MUCH better.

-Paul
    Have you considered rear bumpers that wrap around and protect the rear tub?

Toys By Troy makes a version, as does Olympic I think.

-Paul
    Are you going to go off road with that Jeep? If so, stay away from the factory style side steps and get yourself some rocker guards that also serve as side steps.

The factory style steps get hung on stuff and get destroyed, damaging some of the sheet metal on your rocker panels in the process.

Tom

For removing the hard top, you will need the Torx bits. But you can also find quite a few aftermarket 'quick release' bolts so you don't really need the Torx bits after the first removal. Usually they are some type of wing nut set up.

You can get quick disconnect setups for the soft top stuff, that way you can remove the soft top hardware entirely. (You can buy the necessary stuff at a hardware store for less than $10.00, but there are systems ready to install that don't require you drill out anything from places like Quadratec).

-Paul
    I like the TxT bumpers and the others I've seen that wrap around the bottom of the rear corners. I picked up a nice swingout on the used market around the first of the year and it's working out well; just doesn't offer any corner protection. I found a local fab shop that does really good work. I'm going to take them some drawings and see what they can come up with.

-twylie
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I bought this guys Antenna mount (EBAY).

It's pretty cool. It mounts behind the spare using the bolts that hold the 3rd brake on.

When you unscrew the antenna, the mount is barely visible. It gets the antenna up above the roof line without having to use a 10ft antenna.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but I highly reccomend it.

-Dan