Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    so has any one hit 40 mpg yet with out going 55 mph? wIFE AND I ARE ON A TRIP THRU THE SOUTH , LITTLE OVER 3000 MILES ON ODOMETER HAVE JUST HIT 40 MPG ONLY THING WRONG THAT WAS AT BETWEEN 55 AND 60 MPH. AND TRAFFIC BEHIND ME PASSING LIKE I WAS STANDING STILL, OVER 60 MILES PER HOUR, MPG REALLY DROPS. BEST I CAN DO IS 34MPG SO FAR, IS THIS GOOD? TAKES A LONG TRIP WITH MPG COMPUTER TO GET UP TO THE HI NUMBERS AND NOT SO LONG TO GET TO THE LOW NUMBERS. LIKE THE CAR A LOT BUT NOT SURE HYUNDIA SHOULD ADVERTIZE 40MPG WITH OUT SOME DISCLAMIERS . OR HAVE I MISSED THOSE DISCLAIMERS?
  • sockerssockers Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

What does your Avg MPG say on the instrument panel? When I check my mileage, it usually lags a couple miles/gallon less than the digital read-out. I have gotten around 39 on the hwy and that is driving around the speed limit - 70 mph. Around town about 24-29 mpg.

Let me know.

John
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
  • borgward3borgward3 Member Posts: 6
    We only got 39 on the hwy. I am guessing that the advertised mileage was done on 100% gasoline. You are probably using a gasoline/ethanol mix. Theoretically ethanol should cut mileage 3 to 6 percent. In practice many drivers are reporting about a 15% mileage reduction.

The Elantra weighs in at a very heavy 3700 pounds. That really cuts into stop and go mileage. My 99 mercury tracer weighs in at about 2800 pounds. Best mileage was 42. Worst I got was 28 with a lead foot. I get 34 to 36 mixed driving. I can did get 39 on the hwy cruising at 75 to 85 mph. Mileage is now lower since the switch to the ethanol mix.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited June 2011
    The Elantra weighs in at a very heavy 3700 pound

Uh, no. More like 2800 lb.

2011 Elantra specs
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    heh...just about A6 weight
    Will post more numbers when done trip. a vg so far is around 34 mpg highway travel between 65 to 72 mph. top 38 one time but no more, would be happen with a steady 37 mpg on hiway driving. Will let u all no later will be back home to florida thursday 23rd
    price increase for the 2012 elantra limited with nav pgk 23305 looks like increase of around 600 dollars.
    my bad wrong pricing on 2012 elantra not 600 increase little under 300

2011 msrp 23045 invoice 22010

2012 msrp 23305 invoice 22255 $245 more then 2011
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Must have increased since my purchase in December. Mine was $22,880 which included the floor mats, wheel locks and ipod cable. :surprise:
    2011 or 2012? price?
  • rockirockstarrockirockstar Member Posts: 1
    same with me, I fell in love with the Elantra only to find out that you put in a request and when cars come IF they meet you request you will get a call...... ok - so not cool! I want what I want, not what comes in.

SO I ordered a brand new Ford Focus with EVERYTHING I want! It will arrive in a week :)

Hyuandai is losing customers becuase they dont have enough built and wont take orders.... so stupid.
    The Focus was our second choice. In hindsight, the Focus might be our first choice. We did not like that the Focus was cluttered w/too many gadgetry. Also liked the Fiesta, but the speedo in the center of the dash was a turn off. The Fiesta had the best seats. They felt like high dollar Recaro's.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    are you sure about the Fiesta speedo, it looks to me ( in pictures and in person) that it is right where it should be ,next to the tach on the LEFT side behind the steering wheel.
    fyi - fiesta through steering wheel

• cdavidhesscdavidhess Member Posts: 26
    Perhaps you have the Fiesta and the Toyota Yaris confused. The Yaris has the speedometer in the center of the dash.
  • mynewelanmynewelan Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a brand new 2011 Elantra Limited (w/out nav package) in May. At 5700 miles, my vehicle would not crank on Monday morning. It had to be towed to my dealership, and I was told yesterday that the vehicle started fine once it was delivered to them. They are still diagnosing the problem, but haven't found anything wrong yet. This is very frustrating as it is the second time I've taken my new car to the service department in four months. Only a few weeks after purchasing the car, I had to have one of the seat belts in the back seat totally replaced. Anyone had similar issues and what did they finally say was the problem? Thanks!
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Purchased my 2011 Elantra Limited with tech package in December. No issues so far!
    heh...that's no similar issues...it's the opposite of similar issues :P
    If that's the second time the dealer fixed it, on the third time it happens, I believe that qualifies under the lemon law. Next time, have whoever tows it verify that it won't start and get it in writing. The dealer may have fixed it, but said that it started w/o being fixed just to avoid your car for being qualified under the Lemon law. I am not a lawyer, so you should consult a lawyer to know where you stand.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    The Yaris speedometer is no longer in the center of the dash. 2012 ---->
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Hyundai Elantra who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• miranda200miranda200 Member Posts: 15
    Took my car to the dealership this morning for its first oil change. When I picked it up, they told me they did a recall check and said they had to replace the entire face plate for my audio panel. Since it was already done......what could I say? There certainly wasnt anything wrong w/ the audio or the appearance before I took it in. I've been googling all afternoon and do not find a word about any kind of recall on a 2011 Hyundai Limited. No nav.

what do you all think?
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    I seen a few tsb's on the audio systems, but no recalls. Check here http://www.nhtsa.gov/
  • newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    I think the recall was to change the blue backlighted radio display panel - which shows station etc. Mine was fine but they changed it anyway - perhaps because of a high failure rate.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!
    As I arrived at the airport to pick up my neighbors, the thought suddenly struck, "OMG they have SKIS with them!!" Well I hadnt had a chance to fold down the seats yet, and said a little prayer that they had a split. They do! So, in went 2 pairs of skis, 2 giant suitcases, 2 very large carry on bags, and a 2 full paper shopping bags. And the 2 extra adults. No problem. No laps or footspace needed. Wow what a great little car.

Just had to post this as all I hear lately is gripes about the mileage. (me included).
  • ondamanondaman Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I lost my manual. Anyone knows if 2011 Hyundai Elantra has an oil change indicator from dashboard? Change oil every 3k, 7k?
    Thanks
    Edmunds has a page here that directs you towards the Hyundai site where you can download the pdf.
  • hyundai12hyundai12 Member Posts: 3
    It is very irritating when my 2011 Elantra Limited doesnt get 40MPG on the highway. The biggest killer of MPG performance on this car is the defrost. It can cost me as much as 10 mpg when I use the defrost for my vent settings. Apparently the defrost triggers the a/c compressor and you can guess what happens from then on no 40 mpgs and money out of your pocket.
  • hyundai12hyundai12 Member Posts: 3
    Do not use your defrost vent setting on the highway if want to get 40mpg. This turns on the a/c compressor and down go the mpgs and money out of your wallet.
    Very interesting! I had no idea "defrost" used the compressor. I often use "defrost" as here in the NW, we get so much cold rain. I'm one of those elantra owners that used to get great mileage from a 10 year old Corolla and poor mileage on my 2011 Elantra. (av 21-23 mpg/city) Same commute, etc.

Will keep you posted on my attempts to drive without "defrost".
    I think *all* manufacturers turn the AC on with defrost (for a long while...maybe 15 years or so). Some let you turn off the AC as a stand-alone option.

The new EPA ratings take AC usage into affect when performing their calculations.
  • flyingv82flyingv82 Member Posts: 5
    Wanted to see if anyone has had this issue.
    My 2011 Elantra (around 19,500 mile and less than 1 year old) has on 2 occasions blanketed the road with very dark grayish smoke. I say blanketed because I couldn't see anything behind me on a 4 lane interstate due to the amount that blew out of my exhaust. The car has only had maintenance done at Hyundai dealers and always on time. The first time the Hyundai tech couldn't find anything wrong and left it at that. The second time, the tech said it is the ethanol blended gas causing buildup in the engine and the smoke is due to that buildup being burned off.

I'm trying to find if there is any truth to this statement and if anyone has heard of this before.
    Never heard of it on a 2011...

On older cars we (when younger...) used to give them the "Italian tune-up"...take it on the highway and floor it to get the carbon build up removed.

Were you just getting on the highway giving it a large amount of gas...or just cruising along.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    This is not good at all. It is also not caused by any normal fuel. If you get blueish smoke behind your car under load (full throttle uphill) it means that you are probably burning oil that is leaking past your rings. A well tuned car should have colorless exhaust all the time.

You can try driving up a hill under load to see if that replicates the problem. You can also look at all the spark plugs. If you are burning oil they may have oil on them or be darker in color - a healthy plug has a light greyish or tan color. Spark plugs are a good indicator of engine health. did the dealer do a compression check? That would also tell you if the rings are leaking.
    Both times I was getting onto the highway/interstate. The first time the RPMs jumped to 5500. Out of all the cars I have owned, many of them with well over 100,000 miles, I've never seen this before.

So far it isn't look good for Hyundai if they are looking for a repeat customer. This is my first and most likely last Hyundai.
    I just talked to the Hyundai technician at the dealer and they said they checked all through the engine and transmission and since they couldn't pull an error code (check engine light never came on) they couldn't do anything.

This weekend I am going to drive it around and try to recreate the problem. So far the smoking is not consistent at all with mine or my wife's driving habits.
    That's pretty lame...not everything throws error codes...hey my door latch doesn't work...sorry, I didn't detect an error code.

It may be difficult...but if you're going to try recreate it try to see if you can have somebody record a video of it. Without a video, if you cannot recreate it in front of the mechanic I don't think they'll do anything for you.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Low compression or leaking rings would most likely not throw a code. They need to step it up and look into this. A compression test is not that expensive. Just take out the plugs hook up the tester and crank the engine.
  • roger_proger_p Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Elantra Limited and have experienced the exact same thing! On two occasions, once at about 14K and just today and just under 20K. I've been around cars my whole life and am pretty sure I can differentiate between burned oil and carbon. This is definitely oil, blue/whitish smoke. I have two concerns that I'm going to take to the dealership. One, this is just plain unacceptable from a new car (less than a year old). I'm wondering if one of the dealership personnel had this problem how it would be handled? The second is the legal implications if this plume of smoke causes an accident. Today's episode filled 4 lanes of a busy city thoroughfare with so much smoke that the cars behind me disappeared from view. I'm taking the car in on Monday and sincerely hope that I don't get blown off with "nothing we can do for you". Please let me know if anyone gets an answer that makes sense....
    If you get a good answer to this issue, please post it on here. The 2 dealers I have visited blew me off with the "no error code means no problem" answer. I too have thought of the legal issues if the exhaust smoke from my car causes a wreck. I
  • blade14blade14 Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone at the dealerships check to see where your oil level was at? I took mine in for an oil change at Nashua, N.H. hyundai 2 weeks ago and it started to blow white smoke on acceleration. It turned out they had put too much oil in the crankcase at the last change. Oil leeks into the cylinder and burns off out the tail pipe. run your finger inside the tail pipe when it's cool and see if you get a oily-greasy blackness on your finger. Good indication your burning oil!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Looks like it's time to find another place to get oil changes! A Hyundai dealer that doesn't know/care how much oil to put into one of their own cars wouldn't get any of my service business, that is for sure. Who knows what else they would mess up on?
  • elantra_ownerelantra_owner Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    I have the exact same problem with my wife's 2011 Elantra with 28K miles on the clock. The first time i saw the smoke was when it had about 5K on the clock, . It happened last Saturday again. Filled a 4 lane freeway up with smoke when I tried to get into the fast lane, I am going to make sure to have a video camera in the car when this happens again. I see the last post said to check the oil level. I checked the oil level after this happened and it was good. The first time it happened I accelerated at a traffic light when it turned green, I thought I blew the engine. On the way home i tried to accelerate and gear the car back and could not make happen again. Maybe the Catalytic converter gets an oil buildup and burn it when there is more flow through the exhaust? I took it to Hyundai this morning
    and the guy at the service department seemed like he didn't believe me.
    Does anyone have an answer yet?
    Not being a mechanic...I don't think your catalytic converter is burning oil. If oil gets in there I think you have huge problems.
  • joltmanjoltman Member Posts: 2
    I took mine in today for blue smoke out back when passing.It doesn't do it all the time. Only 11,000 miles.They took a compression test and found one of the cyclinders is not up to par.They drained the oil and filtered it for metal and found none.They called hyundai and they said to replace the block.The block has been ordered.All under warranty.I had no problems with the dealership at all.
  • elantra_ownerelantra_owner Member Posts: 2
    Joltman, I wonder if there is a way that I can use your information, maybe a case number or a job number from your Hyundai dealer that I can give to Hyundai customer services so they can look at your diagnosis and maybe get my dealership to do a compression test on my car. When I took my car in they drove it, could not see any smoke , checked the tires and bluntly refused to do a compression test. Merced Hyundai sucks!!
  • joltmanjoltman Member Posts: 2
    My tech line case#4901339.If you are not satisfied with their answer their is a procedure you can request in the manuals you got with the car.I would demand that they do a compression test.That car has the best warranty on the market and it doesn't cost them a thing to do this test.The other choice is take it to another hyundai dealership.
  • blade14blade14 Member Posts: 2
    Did you all know that the 2011 elantra's engine crank case only takes 4.23 quarts of oil. I had trouble blowing smoke out my tail pipe and discovered that every time I went for an oil change they were putting in 5 qts which would be too much. this even happened at the hyundai dealership as well as Jiffy lube. None of them realize this. Look at your dip stick and the oil level should not be over the "F" in the grid on the stick. Mine was showing at the very top of the orange. Can't hurt to check...