Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Used LS460 or new ES350?

123champ123champ Member Posts: 3
I have a budget of $35-40k, and am debating between a new 2010 ES350 and a used 2007 LS460. Both are priced comparably.

The pros of an LS460 are obviously the comfort and superior luxury features. However the arguments against buying it could be the following:

1. Service parts for an LS460 are pricier than an ES350. So maintenance of the used LS460 might get expensive.

2. If I unfortunately get a lemon, there’s a lot of money at stake. A lemon LS460 is not the same as say, a lemon Camry – would burn a much bigger hole!

3. I typically keep a car for 5-7 years … so it might be better to go for a new car, instead of a used one.

Thoughts?

My current ride is a 2003 Acura 3.2TL.

Cheers
123champ

Comments

• vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    First of all, drive both and see what suits your needs better. Second, consider a Lexus Certified used LS460 if you decide to go that route. Don't buy from a third party dealer.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Hi,

I have owned both of these cars, the ES330 and the LS430. The ES was nice but, baby, it ain't no LS. I bought the LS with 28K miles on it as a CPO car. Sold a 2 year newer Avalon with half the miles and paid more in order to get the LS. Best move I ever made. Had it for 2 1/2 years now and not one single repair needed.

If you go for the 2007 LS460 and are nervous about the cost of repairs, you can opt for an extended warranty if you do it shortly after you make the purchase from a Lexus dealer.

P.S. If you must have a new car in that price range, take a close look at the new Buick Lacrosse. Twice the car that the ES is and cheaper to boot.

Dandydon
  • 123champ123champ Member Posts: 3
    Thanks guys. I have driven the new ES, but you're right ... I should test drive the LS as well.

Dandydon, thanks for the comparison - since you have owned both cars, your opinion is valuable. I travel a lot for business ... and for the past few weeks, I have had a new Buick Lacrosse every time I rented. (Hertz must have made a huge Lacrosse buy!) It is a very nice car ... the thought of buying it has definitely crossed my mind!

Cheers
    123champ
  • chuckykchuckyk Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a 2007 LS460 certified, for 40K from a local dealership. 24K miles. Best purchase I ever made, and I can't imagine choosing an ES350 after driving both cars. My last car was a 2001 LS430 that I purchased with 60K miles and sold with 160K miles. Bought an extended warrenty that I never used.

I would not be overly concerned about buying a used LS, especially if CPO'd through the dealer.

I think the Lacrosse was a great looking car, but the test drive was marginal, and the fit and finish was not up to a LS460. However, I do agree with the written comparisons to the ES350. Toyota and Lexus have stepped back a bit with this product...
  • 123champ123champ Member Posts: 3
    Thanks chuckyk. Your $40k seems to be a pretty good deal. What city did you buy it in?

In the Dallas area, a CPO 2007 LS460 (with Navigation) with 35-40k miles is being advertized for $45-50k.

cheers
    123champ
  • chuckykchuckyk Member Posts: 7
    I thought it was a good deal to. Purchased in Charleston, SC. Lexus of Charleston/ Advertised at 44K, they offered 41500, I purchased at 40K. Really mint condition, didn't look used.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    I have '08 Avalon Touring Edition which I'm thinking of trading in on a 2011 Avalon Limited.

Well I drove the '11 Standard model, and it was not enough nicer, quieter, smoother then my '08 to trade for:(

I've owned the '08 for 16 months or so and have 43,000 miles on it. I don't find the car to be as smooth or as quiet as I'd like on those long drives (On the road salesman). Now don't get me wrong, it's nice, just not as nice as I'd like.

I haven't had the luxury of driving a LS 460 yet, but hope to soon.

I have taken a 400 and 430 for test rides, and they were nice, but again, not A LOT better for the money. Everything I read, tells my the 460 is WAY better then the 400 and 430's. Of course there is the money end of it. Around here, they are hard to find, so driving of flying out to get one, is likely to happen.

They are around, but not many, and the dealers don't move much on pricing. What I've found for 2007, 208's are $50,000.00 PLUS in price. Now I've checked AutoTrader.com, plenty here, but not good pricing. I'll see what ebaymotors shows, but I think it will be a matter of checking out Lexus dealers web sites, and seeing what I come up with.

In the end, I just may have to stick with the '08 for one more year, and see what 2012 brings me, my business and such.

Now if anyone dealers out there need Promotional Products, and wants to trade some:)

Skip
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    im thinking of trading my 2012 avalon for a 2010 - 2011 LS460 but the weekly fuel cost is scaring the [non-permissible content removed] out of me
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Would recommend skipping the 07. Better on 08+. Bugs worked out. They are available online for reasonable $$