Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs Lexus IS250 vs BMW 325xi vs Honda Accord

moosey2010moosey2010 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Acura
I am a 24 yr old female graduating college in one week. Currently, I'm in the market to buy my first car. For the past 6 years, I've been driving a 2003 VW Passat which is owned by my parents. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted a 3-series BMW. Every time I see one on the road, my palms get sweaty and my heart starts to race - weird, but true. So what's the problem? Well I got a job in a small town in OH - the nearest city is an hour drive, so I need something extremely reliable that I don't have to take to the dealer every other week. In addition, I'll be driving about 80 miles/day (highway) about 5 days a week. After doing some research, BMW didn't seem like the best choice for my situation.

I then looked at Honda Accord - probably the most reliable car out there based on what I've read/heard. I drove it and really liked it... but I'm just not very excited about it. Then I drove the Acura TSX with tech package... I really liked it and it's probably my top choice right now, but it's not the cutest car I've ever seen... and let's face it, I'm looking for cute and reliable. Is this a good way to shop for a car? Maybe, maybe not, but it's what I want. So now the Lexus IS250 caught my eye... it's very cute and I am assuming reliable because it's owned by Toyota. I also like the AWD option, which might come in handy for my commute.

So I guess my question is, is the Lexus THAT much more reliable than a BMW? Should I just buy the BMW if I'm gonna spend that much money? Or should I just go with the Acura since that may be the most reliable of the 3? Or should I just suck it up for the next 2 years and get the Accord until I move and don't drive so much? Any input would be great? Can someone rank these 4 cars in order of reliability? Thanks SO much!

PS I'm looking at 2010 Accord EX-L, 2010 TSX w/tech, 2009 CPO Lexus IS250 AWD and 2007 CPO BMW 325xi

Comments

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    From personal experience I own a 06 6MT/wnav tsx, bought new 11/06 and my mom owns a 08 Honda Accord EX-V-6, bought new 3/08 (I drive it when I visit her-which is often). Lets just say I enjoy my tsx more-so much more standard goodies. My car now has 104,000+miles. I still have the original brake pads and rotors and it runs excellent. Love it. I do not have any problems using regular gas-no loss of power or performance. I get lots of compliments of how well maintained it is. Good luckto you. Actually if the bmw is properly maintained get it since you always wanted it. (service is not cheap but hopefully you will not run into any problems-you could have problems with any car-does not mean they are all bad. How you drive and maintain it is the key to a good car.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    You should not own a German car out of warranty unless you are a mechanic or can afford possible huge expenses. (e.g. $1700 to replace the AC unit.) So if it is a 2007, it may have high mileage and if you put 120 miles a day, your warranty could end in 18 months.

TSX's are fun cars to drive, pretty reliable and I think they are cute. I think the IS, though, is the best looking of the bunch. It is probably the least fun to drive but if you are mainly doing highway, then the IS would be fine. Also the Lexus clearly does reliability the best and for me, is the best looking and ties the TSX for best gas mileage. Good luck!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited May 2010
    on 3 of the 4 you're considering (no Accord for me), here are my observations:

1) The BMW 3 series was my choice, hands-down, until about three years ago. Run-flat tires became standard (rougher ride, worse handling, very expensive to replace, no one will repair them, can't get replacements in the remote areas of the West where I live), the cars began to stress technology rather than driver involvement (the ability to check/change one's own oil, etc.) and the "free" maintenance schedule increased service intervals and vastly decreased the number of fluids that needed to be replaced at regular intervals. Then, to top it off, the very attractive lease deals that were in place for many years were eliminated. These cars are great fun to drive, in spite of the above, but need much more careful maintenance than what is currently "recommended" by BMW to last the kind of mileage you're contemplating, without costing a fortune.

2) The Lexus IS has a relatively numb feel, compared to the BMW, in terms of handling -- nowhere near as much fun to drive. The back seat is a joke for anyone over 6 years old and/or 60" tall. I don't like the slab sides & fold-down rear seatbacks aren't available -- I need that for my bicycle. No doubt it'll run for 150K miles, but you won't have very much fun covering the distance.

3) The TSX ended up being my choice & I've driven mine ~35K miles in the past two years or so -- totally dependable & okay to drive, but not like a RWD sedan with decent suspension (a la BMW). The TSX is the Accord for the rest of the world, so it's smaller than the Accord that's sold in the U.S., especially for the last few years. It has a great suspension for an FWD car and generally I'm quite pleased -- I'm sure it'll run beyond a quarter million miles with minimal drama. It has fold-down rear seats, a real spare tire and a dipstick. The only thing is doesn't have is the correct pair of wheels driving it. It's available with a manual transmission, which is also a requirement for me, but then so does the small IS and the BMW. The Accord. . .

4) Well, then there's the Accord. It's big and dependable. So is a Buick.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    The last thing you want when fresh out of college is spending large amounts of money on a depreciating asset. You'll take a huge depreciation hit with the high miles. Get a used reliable commuter car that gets good mileage - like a Civic or a Corolla. If you really want to get something new get a new Fiesta.
  • cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    I was browsing used BMW's tonight and found this sweetheart of a deal in Dallas. No, I don't work for them. I live in Austin and bought a new 328i a few months ago. This seems like it would meet your requirements and budget. Best of luck to ya.
    more cars for that list:
    Hyundai elantra
    Mazda 3
    Ford focus
  • tonystarks22tonystarks22 Member Posts: 51
    nothing like just graduating out of college and screaming to the world "I HAVE ARRIVED" by purchasing a base 328. smh
  • kenu1kenu1 Member Posts: 5
    Your comments on the 4 cars is very similar to mine. I'm a 46 year old male; apparently there's isn't a generation gap here as far as cars go. I'm seriously considering getting a 2008 Lexus IS250. Not as reliable as I expect for a Toyota according to Consumer Reports, but it's sure looks very nice!
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    BMW has come a long way with reliability issues, and the smaller 6 cyl in the 3 and 5 series I believe are the most reliable BMW models so I don't think you should worry about reliablity with the 328i ! I wouldn't recommend though getting expensive technology and electronics stuff (like nav system, etc) added to the car since the Germans aren't exactly known for their electronics not having problems.

I like the IS a little bit more than the TSX a little more in body style and ride quality, but as others have pointed out, the IS back seat is completely worthless for any kind of passengers! It really can only be use as an extension of the trunk to put crap back there!
  • j1huynhj1huynh Member Posts: 28
    What I still don't understand is .. why a $30k luxury car doesn't have the start/stop engine button and the keyless entry? Even Nissan cars have them..
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    What does a start button have to do with luxury? My lawnmower has one...
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    With a key fob that transmits a radio signal, you walk up to the car, touch a button on the side of the car or door handle and the driver's door unlocks. After seating, the driver pushes a button and the car starts. The driver then drives away, all without touching the key in the pocket or purse.

That is luxury in an Infiniti G37.
    Wow, that is luxurious!

I have to push a button on my key to unlock the door. After seating, I have to put the key in a slot and turn it to start the car. It's a soul crushing routine :cry:
    edited May 2010
    Actually, it is very convenient to not have to pause to dig out & manipulate one's key & stick it in the ignition. This is especially true if there is a concern about safety, such as a vulnerable woman or elderly person on a dark street at night, etc.

You may not care about this, but there are others who do.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I have to admit, and now that I think about it. It would totally help when I have a baby in my arm and a bag, and I need to dig the keys out of my pocket. That would be so nice to just push the button. Not a huge deal, no deal breaker for me. But, it would be nice.
    Well, I think you actually enjoy pressing the start button on your lawnmower rather than giving it a pull to start your lawnmower..
    For Honda, it's the fact that they brand acura as their luxury cars yet they don't have the necessary features to be considered as one. Actually, I do like acura cars but it's just fact that their luxury brand cars (txs, rdx, mdx, and even rl) do not even offer something that's soon to be standard.
    I had use of a TL while my tsx was being serviced. It has the push-start button.
    Interestingly, in some German cars you insert the key into the ignition and then push a button to start the car. I guess the idea is to turn starting the car into some kind of ritual.
    yes. Only TL and ZDX have the start button. Their other 4 models (tsx, rl, rdx, mdx) don't have that feature.
    I have driven that many newer german cars but I test drive a mini recently and it does what you've mentioned. However, it also has an option without inserting the key.
    So the Mini is a luxury car and the Acura RL isn't?

I'm confused.
    I've never said mini is a luxury car. please read carefully. I've said acura is branding it's cars to be luxury without the features of start button engine (which is something that's becoming standard).
    I test drove a BMW 325 and it had the key insertion (not turning the key) and push botton. I thought what's the point of this? The wireless key (fob) you leave in your pocket is the way to go.
    I love this keyless technology! It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd pay hundreds for this feature if not a $1K. Admittedly, it's mostly a toy.
    edited June 2010
    Wireless keys are a safety feature if you are in an uncomfortable or unsafe situation, and they make it easier to get into your car when your arms of full.

After awhile, you take this convenience for granted, and recoil when you try to use a car that actually requires that you use or access a key.

So, in 2010, I don't think there is any excuse for upscale cars (e.g. Acuras) to be without this feature.

I recently bought an Infiniti G37S 6MT sedan and am enjoying conveniences like this in a car with excellent sports car performance. I came very close to buying a TSX or TL, but decided that they don't match the G37 (and the ugly snouts, especially on the TL were unacceptable).

However, I am thinking about buying the upcoming TSX station wagon. This is something I have been hoping Honda/Acura would do for a long time. I would put up with the snout in order to have a station wagon (which are rare these days). The only alternative I would consider is the VW sportwagen, but their reputation for poor reliability scares me.
    when car shopping a few months ago-the first thing the salesman showed us was the wireless key. (hyundai, subaru and mazda) Yes it is a nice feature to have but I could manage very well without it. Things I was disappointed with on the 2010 tsx were the gas tank cover that you now push on to open (like being able to open it from the inside) no memory seats, no longer offer the red with MT. I could live with the ugly snout. I decided to keep my 06 tsx-love it- Bought it new 11/06-It now has almost 107K problem free miles. It still has the original brake pads and rotors-all service is done by a acura dealer. Enjoy
    Your TSX is a great car. I admired that model for years. I was interested in buying, but being aware that the 09 model change was coming, I held off on the assumption that the new model would be better than the old -- I was wrong.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2010
    CORRECTION MEMORY SEATS: I have a 2010 TSX w/Tech and mine DOES have Memory Seats Position 1 Driver and Position 2 Driver :) .
    edited June 2010
    thanks-thought they did away with it- good thing to know
    My first experience with a wireless key was with the Toyota Prius. I thought the whole idea of never having to pull out your keys and inserting them into the ignition is very convenient. (Usually I'm fumbling for my keys.)

It's interesting that you say the TL/TSX has an ugly snout. The exactly the same thing I thought I have. The G37 is nicer looking to me. Still I may still get the TSX because I like Accords so much. But it does bug me that the TSX doesn't have a wireless key either. So I'm not so sure anymore.
    Wireless Keys are nice but just one more thing to worry about like system malfunction down the road or the damn key falling out of your pocket while driving and can't find it between the seat when you get out :mad: I love my 2010 TSX! The beak isn't as bad as the TL. Not as pronounced as the TL. The new TL is too bloated and just plain huge! I had a new TL as a loaner and man is that thing huge and ugly. I also own a 2007 TLS and will be holding on to it until the next gen TL is released! :P The new TL is just plain UGLY! Transformer looking! The new TSX lines will keep current for years to come. I have had 0 problem free 9K miles so far. Love the TSX! The G37 gets pretty $$$$ once optioned out! Also the reliability of Nissan/Infinity has gone down hill just spoken from a few of my friends that own the G37. Quite a few problems with them. :sick:
    While my 06 tsx was being serviced I had use of a 2010 TL/wtech as a loaner car. I was able to keep it overnight. I put the keyless remote on top of the center console. It ended up getting caught between the seats. My mom has hip problems, thought the seats were very comfortable. She owns a 08 accord. I really did not think it was that huge and with certain color the beak is not that huge looking. How many miles are on your 07 TLS. Hoping you continue not to have any problems with your tsx-mine has almost 107K problem free miles.
    My 07 TLS now has 58,900 problem free miles. I purchased it new back in April of 07'. I love it! It's a good balance of power and looks. The car hauls! Mine is Alabaster Silver Met with Black Leather interior ASPEC Kit with ASPEC Body Kit. I consistantly get positive comments from other people on it. There isn't many on the road which is nice. Maintenance has been very cheap compared to owning BMW, LEXUS, Audi etc... You can find a 07' or 08' TLS with low milage used out there. I think it's the best bang for your buck! I know when I purchased it new sticker was 42K with everything now you can pick em up for around 26 - 29K. They are still holding their value.
    edited June 2010
    Since I put on lots of miles I prefer new. I am planning on hopefully buying a new car June 2011 so I have some time to decide. I still love my tsx. Right now my one requirement is having 6 speed manual transmission. I agree the maintenance has been reasonable so far. I purchased my tsx new November 17, 2006.
    Yes, wireless key may fail some day. Counting on acura overall reliability to make this a small chance of occurrence. But keeping key in pocket is the best idea which is possible with wirelss. I have a tedency to misplace keys, or not put it back into my pocket well enough so it does fall out later.

I agree that the 2010 TL is too large. That's another reason to lean towards the TSX for me too.
    I like to walk up to my car, hit the remote to open the trunk, put my stuff in there and then with the same remote open the door, put the key in the ignition, start car, drive away.
    edited June 2010
    Actually, when I referred to the wireless key in the Infiniti G37 some posts ago, I should have clarified that the key does not have to be touched.

The car senses the proximity of the key, so that all you do is press buttons to open the door, trunk, or start the car. The key sits in your pocket or purse untouched. Makes for very convenient & rapid car access.
    So in many instances, it's harder to use the "wireless key" than a traditional fob.

With a wireless key, you have to reach out to the car while your hands are full and push a button? For me, it's easy to carry the fob in my hand or dangle it from my pinkie so when my hands are full, I can open the trunk from several feet away.

Again, I can see how the wireless key might be nice in some instances, but many times, when you're carrying something heavy, it's easier to push a button that's in your hand than reach out to push a button on your car.

I guess it's a personal preference.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have a 08 328i. With my wireless key, there is no button to push, I just pull on the door handle and open.
    another thing I like with having the fob-being able to open the car windows on hot days using it.
    edited June 2010
    On the G37, you can also push a button on the fob if that is your preference.

bimmer4me's BMW with the door that opens without even pushing a button sounds like the easiest.
    When I had a 2010 TL as a loaner car-I only had to put my hand thru the door handle to get it to unlock-no buttons to push. I owned a few Nissan vehicles and had lots of problems with them so I am still leary on owning them.
    edited June 2010
    A true luxury car will not have door handles. The door will automatically open when you approach the car and the seat will rotate 45 degrees and slide 12" outside the car so you don't have to climb in.

And you won't have to carry a wireless fob in your pocket. Sensors near every door will scan your retina.

There will be no buttons inside the car either - every control (HVAC, radio, nav, etc.) will be voice activated. In fact, you will vocally tell the nav system your destination and the car will drive itself there.

Actually, this technology has been around for years. If you want to use transportation that requires no control inputs or manual manipulation, just ride the bus!
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    ride a bus, what's that? ;)
    out of curiosity I was planning to go to a nearby infiniti dealer to check the cars out. I found out the closest dealer is about 150 miles away-it will have to wait.
    Well, speaking of true luxury, I don't think you go far enough.

I expect mechanical arms to reach out, gently put me in my seat, adjust the seat belt, etc. My route will be selected by computer, which will track traffic congestion and unerringly alter course so as to get me to my destination as quickly as possible. While at my destination, the car will stop at a local gas station, where the car will fill the tank & pay for the gas. The car will follow with a complete wash & wax, and the car will be waiting for me when it is time to leave.
This discussion has been closed.