Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 No Start Problems

janbiljanbil Member Posts: 2
Mazda CX-9 2008

Sometimes when I get into my car, the steering wheel locks
and there is no play in it. I do NOT exit the car with the steering wheel
locked.

It takes enormous strength to turn the wheel just a bit to get the car
to start. It seems to be an intermittent problem.

I tried a solution…I locked and then unlocked the car with the fob while I
was in it and that sometimes cures the problem.

The problem just started after owning the car for 2 years.
At times the KEY light flashes when I start the car too.
Don't know if it is related.

I took the car to the dealer and was told the steering mechanism
works and there is no problem…which is incorrect.

I am nervous to start the car when I have an appointment to go to
since it sometimes takes 5-7 minutes of fiddling with steering wheel
before the car starts.

Comments

• cx9_coloradocx9_colorado Member Posts: 1
    Same thing has happened a few times with our 07 CX9 with the Keyless system. The key either has low battery and the battery should be replaced or you have the key in your pocket right next to your blackberry/cell phone. Either way, the car is having difficulty reading the key and locks the steering column and ignition switch. Hope this helps you enjoy your CX9.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    The "key light flashes" is the giveaway that the battery needs to be replaced.
  • janbiljanbil Member Posts: 2
    I just changed the battery. But at times, the KEY light flashes about 4-5 times before the car starts.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Do you have your key near cell phones? (same pocket, for example)
  • tonymogletonymogle Member Posts: 14
    Help! Car was garaged for 5 hours during the day. I came out to leave and the car will not start.

At first I thought it was the battery, but it is fine and there is no cranking from the starter. There is a flashing key on the console making me believe this is an antitheft issue.

I have 2 keys for the car. Neither key will unlock the doors. The nearest dealer is 45 miles away. Towing it would be an expensive option!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • tonymogletonymogle Member Posts: 14
    Wiggled stick shift and car started! Duh! It must have not been seated properly.
  • kronitekronite Member Posts: 1
    I'm having issues with my starter/ignition (i'm not sure which but that tells you a lot there). The car was taking a 2-6 seconds to turn over and get started. Usually it's a problem with the battery and I just replace it, problem solved. This time with a new battery it's still not just kicking over, it's revving and continues then always turns on so far.

I'd love to figure this out without taking it somewhere. Thanks!