Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 vs GMC Acadia

cam19cam19 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in GMC
Please help fast. We are close to getting our 2010 XC90 6cly, FWD and are not fully 100% sure. I hate to be this indecisive so close to signing the bottom line. I'm getting a bit worried about all the service issues I've heard about on the XC90, and the smaller cargo space might be an issue. (Fam of 4, 1 dog) I Love the styling/handling of the XC, and the BLIS feature, plus the 5 yr safe and secure. that sounds like great protection from any issues for 5 years, plus the dealer provides loaner cars. However, the Acadia is a strong choice as well. Can anyone offer some advice? THANKS>

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What service issues were you referring to?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cam19cam19 Member Posts: 5
    I cant remember anything specific with out going back to the messages, but there seemed to be a lot of people complaiing on the mechancial problems they were having. Then there are others that LOVE the XC90, so I guess I'm trying to make sure I do all my "home work" before I buy. It's a total toss up on the Acadia and the XC90?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Well, most likely, you read alot about transmissions issues. That, however, is a thing of the distant past. It related only to the original T6 model that used a GM-sourced 4-speed auto trans.

The only issue I know of that may still apply to the new XC90s is rear driveshaft output (can't remember the name off the top of my head on a Monday morn). And since you are looking at a FWD model, you don't have to be concerned with that, either.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Cam19,
    I am from GM Customer Service. If you have any questions about the Acadia please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    If you can, please tell me what you feel why someone should get the Acadia over the XC90? Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited June 2010
    Hello Cam 19,
    Acadia vrs. Volvo XC90--

Base MSRP of the Volvo is 5K more than the Acadia. Equipped price of the Volvo is 8K more, and that is the highest trim levels compared. The Acadia is longer, wider and has a bigger wheelbase than the XC90. In addition to that, the Acadia has more head, leg, shoulder and hip room. The Acadia has a higher compression ratio of 11.3 vrs 10.4. Max payload of an Acadia is 1523 vrs. 1470. Max towing of an Acadia is 5200 vrs. 4960. In the Acadia you get front power lumbar support seat standard, as well as Bose 10 speaker system, navigation, Onstar and XM radio for three months free. Comparing the V8 Volvo and the Acadia AWD in fuel economy this is the results. Acadia is 16MPG city vrs. 13City. Acadia is 23MPG hwy vrs. 19hwy in the Volvo. Our powertrain warranty is for 100K miles vrs 60K for the Volvo. So my resoning to get the Acadia vrs. the Volvo is you get more for less money. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Thanks for your reply. For our trim/package level, the costs were the same (almolst exactly) and yes, the Acadia is a little bigger and says it gets 1 MPH more then the Volvo, after looking more closely at the Acadia, it had a very plastic/cheep feeling with the interior, and didnt seem to drive nearly as smooth as the Volvo. Also, Volvo has the 5 yr safe & secure offering that basically you pay nothing repair wise for 5 years. I guess to each their own. Thanks...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

(haha. meaning you weren't supposed to look past the smoke and mirrors.)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mymonkeyismymonkeyis Member Posts: 2
    so what did you end up choosing? i have my choice narrowed down to the same two cars. today i went and crawled around the back of both. the acadia is far roomier but does have a cheap feel. the price for my options is basically the same. i'm leaning towards the volvo so i can take advantage of the overseas delivery program and visit sweden on them. if sweden was out of the equation i would probably go for a used loaded acadia. but i think i'm going to end up buying a new volvo from sweden. oh the decision:( i guess people have much bigger problems than me.
    Went with the Volvo. I had to turn in our leased car and the Volvo dealership gave us a loaner for 3 weeks until our XC90 is in...agree that the extra space is always good, but I think i will get used to the size difference faster then how long it would take me to adjust to the cheeper feel and not as smooth ride. Plus the Volvo has the 5 year Zero maintence program. Good luck with your choice. It was not an easy decision.
  • zoe510zoe510 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that you actually pay less when buying through the overseas delivery program? I'm looking into it, but it sounds too good to be true.
  • mymonkeyismymonkeyis Member Posts: 2
    I went with the Volvo. Picking up in sweden 12/21/10. Deal is not too good to be true. Look it up. I passed an Acadia today and like the outside look and larger size better but it's still not a Volvo. In 5 years I think I will be better off with the Volvo. And I am going to Sweden!
This discussion has been closed.