Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    for '04, they didn't offer a dual top option on the Unlimited - one or the other; not sure if that will change in '05.

-twylie

PS - got my $75 rewards drive debit card from Jeep last week. Planning on putting it towards a new camp tent.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Yeah, Mac, but they might have been prototypes.

I believe they really will offer them: it's just that I can't remember seeing an "official" announcement.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    from this site:

http://www.arifleet.com/production.html

scroll down to Wrangler and you'll see:

Jeep Wrangler
     8-10
     (BGK) Antilock brakes have a Job #1 of 9/7/04
    (RBQ) AM/FM/CD/6-disc changer on hold - TBD
    (YAA) RHD postal truck has a Job #1 of 10/4/04
    (PGV) Beryl Green paint has a Job #1 of 10/18/04
    TJJS78 LWB Rubicon model has a Job #1 of 11/8/04
    (PV5) Impact Orange production delayed until 10/4/04
    (PBT) Patriot Blue paint has a Job #1 of 8/23/04
    (PSB) Bright Silver paint has a Job #1 of 8/23/04

Looks like the first ones will start production 11/8

-twylie
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Karl,

I bought an Unlimited back in June & love it! The soft top isn't bad to put up or down; takes me about 10 minutes for down, a little more to put it up. If you don't need the whole top down, there's a neat sunroof feature the folds back the front part in just a minute or two.

I wouldn't lock yourself into a hardtop just yet. I live in Michigan, and I'm bettin' I'll be OK with a softtop this winter. Wranglers are reputed to have heaters stoked by the fires of hell, so warmth shouldn't be a problem, although I'll acknowledge that the hardtops' wiper and defroster would be nice in the slop.

Major changes for '05: Solar yellow (like mine) and Shale green are replaced by Impact orange and Beryl green. 6 speed manual available in Unlimited, and the black fender flares and top are replaced with a medium gray (boo!). Unlimited will be available in 3 trims: base, premium, and Rubicon.

I use my Unlimited as my DD for a 20 mile round trip commute. It's of course a little loud, and the ride a little stiff, but with the longer wheelbase it's a lot less darty at freeway speeds than a SWB Wrangler. I'm averaging about 16mpg.

Hope this helps-let me know if you have any other questions!

Marcus
    Why don't you try to get down here for a little wheelin' with me before winter?

I will keep in mind that you are in your daily driver and that you are a long way from home, so, I will take you to "safe" places. I can guarantee you the time of your life, and I can ALMOST guarantee, no damage. I would be foolish to say no chance of damage, cause anything can happen, but I know places that are fun that should not lead to any damage at all.

How far is your part of MI from Ky Lake?

You know LBL has a lot of nice attractions for vacationers, so there would be other things for you and the Mrs to do while you are here besides wheelin'. There's a state park resort lodge that has very reasonable rates, and the setting is beautiful.

Tom

• drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    I bought my Buffy just this past winter, and I can attest to the fact that the heater is quite sufficient to keep you warm in the coldest of winter days (we get week long stretches of -30 C or so... don't know what that is in F, but let's just say it's friggin' cold... ;-) ).

I'd almost be willing to go with a softtop only, but there is something to be said about being able to scrape/defrost your windows. Softtop is easy to operate (once you've done it a couple of times), and the hardtop is MUCH easier to handle with a friend.

Andrew
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    All this talk about scraping windows might change my mind, but I don't think so. By the time I hit the freeway my Jeep is warm enough to have melted the windows, so I would assume it would be the same with the soft top. If I lived in the city, I'd probably reconsider.

For all with soft tops - how long do they last? Should I factor in replacing it at some point?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    you aren't that far from where I live, how about deciding you need that unlimited NOW!, I think I'm heading to Carmax in Atlant within the next couple weeks to get one. the dealers here aren't willing to come close on price. we could fly down together . two brand new unlimiteds would look great driving together, and I'll be there might be rough mountain roads in KY to break them in on the way home.

jeff
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You're right that they were prototypes. Production hasn't yet started, as twylie indicated. However, they will go into production. Below is a cut 'n paste from the relevent DC press release, the "official" announcement if you like :--)!

THE JEEP® LEGEND CONTINUES WITH NEW 2005 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON

With unmatched off-road capability, the 2005 Jeep® Wrangler lineup continues to grow the Jeep legend with new options for Jeep enthusiasts. For 2005, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited adds a new Rubicon model (late availability), allowing hard-core Wrangler Unlimited owners to “Go Anywhere, Do Anything and Bring Everything.” Also adding more capability for Jeep in 2005, all Jeep Wranglers feature an all-new six-speed manual transmission. A new Premium package is available on the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The Premium package features new and unique cloth seats, silver painted center stack and instrument cluster bezels, bright grille and body color fender flares. Also new for 2005 is an optional
    six-disc in-dash CD changer system (late availability). No vehicle illustrates the legendary Jeep 4x4 capability better than the Wrangler, the heart and soul of the Jeep brand. Wrangler is the icon of the brand, offering open-air fun and freedom with award-winning off-road capability to young buyers, seasoned off-road enthusiasts and those who are young at heart. With the addition of the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in 2004, Jeep has delivered the joys of “Jeeping” to new customers.“The Jeep Wrangler and the Wrangler Unlimited are the heart and soul of the Jeep brand,” said Jeff Bell, Vice President—Jeep. “We have expanded the rugged appeal of the standard Wrangler to a whole new group of Jeep enthusiasts with the Wrangler Unlimited and now the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. The Wrangler Unlimited builds on the unique elements of the original Wrangler and continues to deliver a true emotional connection to Jeep customers. But with the Unlimited, Wrangler now appeals to a broader range of core customers who require more space.” All Jeep Wranglers wear the Jeep Trail Rated® badge, indicating that the vehicle has been designed to perform
    in a variety of challenging conditions identified by five key consumer-oriented performance categories: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, circulation and water fording.

2005 JEEP® WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON: THE LEGEND GROWS AGAIN

Building upon the success of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, the 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon takes extreme off-roading to a new level.The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon model builds on the award-winning capability of Wrangler Rubicon with an off-road system that includes locking front and rear differentials, front and rear Dana model 44 axles, four-wheel disc brakes and a 4:1 low-range transfer case. Not only is this premier off-road package fully synthesized by Jeep engineers, it’s an exceptional value to customers.“The Wrangler Rubicon was too popular with Jeep owners not to expand it to the successful Wrangler Unlimited,” said Bell. “With the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, we brought the Jeep sense of freedom and adventure to a new customer who required more space. The standard wheelbase Wrangler Rubicon continues as the ultimate off-road Wrangler, but both are rigs that are ready for serious off-road trails—and at a significant savings, compared to the costs of modifying the vehicle with aftermarket hardware.” The Rubicon editions feature a Rock-Trac™ transfer case with 4:1 “low range” that slows vehicle speed to give the driver more control, while increasing the amount of torque available at the wheels. In addition, the front and rear axles include “air-actuated” Tru-Lok™ locking differentials to maximize traction. The Wrangler Rubicon also features Goodyear Wrangler “Maximum Traction/Reinforced” 31-inch tall tires with a beefy tread pattern that wraps around the sidewall to help grab ledges along the trail. This state-of-the-art off-road tire includes a three-ply sidewall and advanced silica compound for excellent durability and puncture resistance. The LT245/75R16 tires add an extra half-inch of ground clearance to the Jeep Rubicon models. The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Unlimited Rubicon feature unique exterior design cues that include heavy gauge diamond-plate sill guards, 16-inch five-spoke aluminum wheels and a “Rubicon” graphic placed prominently on each side of the hood............"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When quoting from a press release, please provide a link to the source. Thanks!

tidester, host
  • fformula88fformula88 Member Posts: 30
    Softtop and winter:

Warmth is certainly not an issue with a soft top in the winter. The hard tops do not improve warmth that much anyway because they are not lined. Instead of a few layers of canvas, the hardtop only provides a layer of fiberglass. I'd say they are a draw.

The hardtop has the advantage of being able to scrape snow and ice from the windows, and the rear defrost as has been mentioned.

One other advanatge, and that is the flip up glass rear window in the hardtop. Trying to work the softtops zipper in the winter is a PITA as it clogs with snow and ice, and moving the window is a delicate balancing act in the cold so it doesn't crack from being brittle. If you need to use the storage area in the back a lot and cannot get by with just the swing open tailgate door, a hardttop will be far more convenient than having to deal with the rear softtop window. If you won't really need to have that big of an opening for anything, then the softtop would be fine.

There is no dual top option for the Unlimited either. You would have to buy the vehicle with one top and order the other seperately for tons of $$.
    I guess I have the same curiosity as mtngal: how long should I expect my soft top to last? If I could get it to hold together for about 5 years I wouldn't be upset. I figure if I could get 2 years out of a set of windows before they get scratched all to hell, that would be OK too. How long are soft tops holding up for you folks?

Another question: How long before I develop the famous "Jeep rust"? Specifically the rust that you tend to see around the door and tailgate hinges. I know these exposed joints are more predisposed to rusting, but it sure would be nice if they didn't start looking bad until I had the thing paid for (only 58 months from now...sigh). Anything I can do to help prevent this rust from occuring, or am I just doomed to it, as I live in the "salt belt" of the midwest? Thanks for your comments!

Marcus
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Mtngal

My 98 still has the original soft top and still looks good. Staying in a camp ground during the week I do not a have a carport to park "Eugene the jeep" under so he stays out in rain, snow or shine. Ice is not a problem I let my vehicles warm up. Around 1990 I put a New Bestop (tiger top) on my cj.This May I had to replace a zipper on the driver’s side. And Eugene will turn over 175K on the way home tonight.

Have a great day
    Walt
    Tom,

Thanks for the invite! I'd love too, but with both my wife and I working, and the demands of the twins (9 months old next week!), I'm lucky if I can out to dinner occasionaly with my wife, let alone out of state! Maybe in a year or two, as I am getting tempted to try some "mild" trails.

"Hi" to Ross Allen

Marcus
    Man, both of you work, and you have a set of nine month old twins! Whoa!

That just means that you find some very willing (I'm sure) relatives to take care of the twins, and you and momma have a little get away. I just happen to know a perfect place for that, too. :)

I'll pass your greeting along to Ross Allen.

Tom

Marcus - I don't have any problem with rust on my '98, but then, I live where they sand the roads, not salt them. I don't think the one time I took him out on the beach counts, though it did take me a couple of weeks before he got a bath.

Thanks, Walt, for the top info. My vehicles get parked outside all the time, and usually under a sappy cottonwood that needs trimming. The sap isn't as bad as pine tar (I've learned not to park under them), so knowing that I'll get good service from the soft top is nice.

I have wondered about the back window situation. Since I have the hard top only, I was surprised to find the bar that the soft top attaches to just above the tailgate. The zippers don't worry me as much as that bar does - can you just unzip the window and remove the whole thing easily? Perhaps I've been spoiled with the hardtop!
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Couple of things about the soft top. I live in Chicago area. The few times I had ice (not left out much), I just tapped the plastic windows with my gloved hand and the ice broke off enough to drive. Inside warmed up quickly and melted the rest.

The rear window zips out real quick. It will take some practice to figure the best way to lay it in the back (kind of hard to explain) to make the zipper easy to start. I can do it now in about 30 seconds max.

Terry
    "you aren't that far from where I live, how about deciding you need that unlimited NOW!, I think I'm heading to Carmax in Atlant within the next couple weeks to get one. the dealers here aren't willing to come close on price. we could fly down together . two brand new unlimiteds would look great driving together, and I'll be there might be rough mountain roads in KY to break them in on the way home."

jeff

KY???? Bring it on, you guys can stop by Turkey Bay and wheel with me! :)

Tom

• gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    As far as which tops is better in the cold winters, I do not know. I live in So. Cal. and have no idea what it would be like to have to scrape windows (I do not count the trips to Big Bear or Mammoth). But, I can say each top has its advantages. Since I have a place to winch my top off I fine the hard top to the one I use the most around town. If I travel to some place I may what take the top down I would defiantly use the soft top. I personally would buy both tops, even if I had to pay extra $$ for them.

There are extras that should be purchased with either top. For the hard top get an insulated liner for around $70.00 plus. When traveling with the soft top a roll for the windows is a must (cost $70.00 plus).
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I've seen a "quilted" liner on Ebay for around $70. Have you tried this Gman? Anybody else tried this for thier hardtop?

-Dan
    Sorry, I downloaded it as a PDF file over a month ago and can't now trace the link. I guess it goes back to being an "unofficial" release now!
  • gmkrphgmkrph Member Posts: 12
    I am going to try to make a Wrangler purchase between now and Tues. to take advantage of $ incentive. I think the X model is for me. When I go to Jeep site and build an X model and I choose Rocky Mtn Edition Group , the site automatically adds Trak Lok Diff , saying this option is suggested with Rocky Mtn Group. Now I found an X
    at a dealer that has The Rocky Mtn Group and nowhere on the sticker does it mention Trak Lok. Should I be wary of a vehicle set up with Rocky Grp and no Trak Lok ? 2nd question : this vehicle is going tobe used as an expensive snow blower for our new property that has a 1/2 mile long , single lane driveway. I plan on adding a plow blade. This driveway is the ONLY plowing I will be doing. Is buying a Wrangler with the Heavy Duty Rear a "must" , or can the job be handled with a stnd rear ? Thank You George in Bristol CT
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, Jeep.com may suggest the Trac Lok, but dealers aren't required to follow those suggestions-and some dealers are just plain idiots when it comes to ordering cars/trucks(in 1970 I saw a brand new AAR Cuda with a bench seat and colunm shift). You can easily add a Detroit True Trac limited slip to the standard Dana 35 axle for under $1000 including labor. That said, the Trac Lok option DOES include the much tougher Dana 44 rear axle. I don't know if you would actually need the D44 for snowplow work, but you should consider that:
    1. The least expensive way to get a D44 is to have it installed at the factory, and
    2. My cardinal rule of winter off-roading is "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
    Unless something has changed, you cannot get a Dana 44 with the X model Jeep. Maybe they make an exception with the Rocky Mountain Edition?

I can't see how snow plowing would put enough stress on the rear differential to make a Dana 44 necessary, but I'm all for someone getting the Dana 44, in case they want to go to bigger tires and a full locker sometime down the road.

Tom

The Rocky Mtn Edition isn't a package for the "X", it's a model in its own right and had a Dana 44 as standard equipment.

The D44 is the heavy duty option, Trak Lok adds a limited slip, which is nice, but there are better LSDs that can be added later.

IMHO lack of an LSD shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    Cool! I didn't know the Rocky Mtn was its own separate model and not just a trim level of the X Model. And, it comes with the Dana 44? Good deal!

Tom

It's like a "X", but like the Willys, Apex, 60th, etc., it's a separate edition. More here:

http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/models/rocky_mountain.html?context=w- - rangler-index&type=promo

I quite like it actually.
    I have not bought one yet...It just is not cold enough in So Cal for me to make it a priority. I plan to get one for noise reduction in the future.

I do have a roll for the windows (I made one) that I like a lot. It makes it easier to store the windows with them out of the way, and with out damaging them.
  • gmkrphgmkrph Member Posts: 12
    This morning I got a photocopy of the window sticker. It clearly states : 2004 Model Year WRANGLER X ,base price $ 19,700 AND under the heading OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT it states : Rocky Mountain Edition Group ... $ 2025
    I believe you. It's just a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. I just went to the Jeep site and built an "X". Nowhere does it give you a Rocky Mountain Edition Group option. Same with the current brochures. RME gets a complete one to itself.

DC's stance on the "X" has always been that if you want the D44 you should buy a Sport. However, it doesn't really surprise me to find that they've quietly reversed that position.

;--)
    Although it's far from a true locker or even a gear driven limited slip, I found the factory trac loc to work quite well on stock or close to stock size tires. One of my first real off roading trips was with a friend who has a 95 YJ with a Detroit in the rear. Even on steep slippery climbs, I was able to follow him all day without any problem. Common opinion is that the factory LSD doesn't work as well once you move up to larger tires. Not sure of the validity of that opinion. Since it's a clutch driven setup, I think larger tires overpower the clutch packs, making it less effective. However, for snow plow duties and light off-roading, it's a decent option for $250ish if you plan on staying near stock tire size.

I also think the RME is a great package. You get some of the best features of the Sport closer to the X pricing.

-twylie
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Hello. I read your response on July 12, 2004. I bought a Sebring convertabl(I can hear the laughter from here) because I wanted drop top. Owned a very early Jeep 20 yrs. ago Thinking of going back. Looking at a 2002 Silver Wrangler on Monday. 15000 miles. What don't you like about your Jeep? Anyone? Just curious. It easier than asking what you do like and might give me some ideas of what to look for when kicking tires. 59 now and retiring in one week. Looking for fun and somewhat practical. Well, maybe not practical. Sebring fun but dull!!!
    The one thing I don't like about my Jeep is that it was my first one, and I didn't get it until age 51. :( I can't believe I missed out on all those years of fun I could have been having!

It's hard for me to understand how you could have had a Jeep and then done without one so long. Wasn't it the most fun thing you ever had????

I guess the modern Jeeps are a lot easier to keep and to use every day than those old CJs were, though.

I know that I love my Jeep! She's a 2001 Sport.

If you are interested, here's a link to my website, which is mostly about my Jeep and about off roading my Jeep.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

I can't think of anything that I don't like about my Jeep, except things that I knew going in that I would have to "live with." Things like, no room, poor gas mileage, noise, etc.

Those things are a small price to pay for the PURE FUN of owning and driving a Jeep!

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

I appreciate the good words. I will take a bite trading in(if I do it?????) the Sebring because I just got it in April.BUT ITS DULL> Sharp looking Silver but dull. My last Jeep was either late 50's or early 60's. Can't remember. No top, would not go over 50 with a strong tailwind. I would wear an old Army parka and surplus tankers glasses in the rain. It was a happy daily driver. I think I had it in 1975. Hippy days. I did look at the Unlimited but a lot of $ and no top alternatives. How is overall safty and reliability of Wrangler? Room in back seems to be ample without rear seat. I am guessing they come out. Anyhow, off to the dealers on Mon. Condo now so no garage. Would be looking at soft and hard top. What does the hardtop weigh? Can I take it off by myself? I'm 6'2"-is leg room OK in drivers seat. Sorry for all the questions but trying to talk myself into it. Always loved Jeeps. Go Easy-any info helpful. K
    Great site but I cannot email you through the site. Computer issues. I used to live in West Virginia. Great part of the country-I miss it. Enjoy the road-on and off. K
    Kool:

The hard tops for the regular wheelbase Wranglers (not the Unlimiteds) weigh 140 lbs. I have heard of people taking them off and putting them on by themselves, but they are better men than I! They are not only heavy, but very awkward to handle. It's not easy, even with two people.

Reliability is at least as good as any domestic vehicle. I have over 48K miles on Thelma Jane, and I have had only a couple issues that were corrected under warranty. Not a thing has gone wrong since the warranty expired at 36K. The only things under warranty were a water leak, a bad turn signal stalk, and a paint blister on the hard top. Each of these items was taken care of efficiently under warranty with no hassle.

You are probably hearing from the world's number one fan of the Jeep Wrangler, so you may want to take that into consideration as you evaluate my opinions. :) Even so, I would tell you any negatives, if I could think of any.

I have never, ever in my whole life owned a vehicle that I have loved so much as I love my Jeep! Even before ever taking Thelma Jane off road for the first time, I was telling people that she was my most fun vehicle EVER. And, she was!

I find the Wrangler to have plenty of leg room, and I am only a couple inches shorter than you are.

Keep us posted on how your Jeep shopping is going.

Tom

You can get my email from my profile here in Edmunds, if you want to send me an email.

Tom

You might want to think "brand new." With the current rebate, the 7 year/70,000 warranty, and the high resale value of Wranglers, you might decide that the extra cost of going brand new would be worth it.

Tom

I have had my 2004 Sport for around 8 months now. The only off roading I have had a chance to do is on some dirt roads round where I live. The only complaints I have are the storage space and towing capabilities (same as most everyone else).

The towing limitation is a minor thing to me and I really don’t worry about it. To fix my problem of limited storage I am looking at a cargo rack for the receiver and/or a small (4X8) trailer on E-Bay that I can fold up to store. I am leaning more towards the trailer for its ability to haul lumber, plywood, as well as camping supplies.

Good luck
    The only way I can get my hard top off is with hoist I have rigged up in my garage. I bought a hand hoist on line then bought a 2000# ratchet winch from e-bay, then rigged up a beam and a post for the winch. It works great! Can’t be any easier. I installed four 150# hooks and use two ratchet tie-down straps (in addition to the hoist) to secure the top to the ceiling in my garage.
    Thanks for info. Will check out new if price is OK for pocketbook. Its revisiting something I miss. On and of the road, easy off road. Getting older but still need a little dirt under the fingernails. Thanks again. I continue to be open to suggestions. This type of forum does not exist for everything. Especially with as much passion as you folks have. Go Easy
    That passion ought to tell ya somethin'. :)

We love our Jeeps for a reason (well, for MANY reasons).

Gitcha One!

Tom

Hello. I noticed that you bought a Jeep as a retirement vehicle in 2000. I am about to do the same thing for the same reason. If you read this I am curious to know how it worked out. If you don't read this I am talking to myself (again). Go Easy
    I go away for a quick weekend trip to Vegas and there are lots of questions!

What I don't like about my Wrangler - 2 things: the way it handles in the wind and the gas mileage. Winds affect it far more than my Taco but I find that by slowing down I can avoid the worst of the unexpected lane change feeling. Same thing with the gas mileage. I'm pretty lucky with my on-road mileage - I can get a pretty consistent 18-20 mpg on the highway. Of course, I get such good mileage by trying to go 65 and never going over 70 mph. If it is windy, forget it. Too bad they don't make a Wrangler that gets 40 mpg...

Space - the rear seat comes out very easily. Mine has 2 cotter pins holding it in, but I think that was changed recently. I rarely have mine in. In fact, my other half has been joking that soon we'll have more Wrangler parts (back seat and side steps) in the house than on the car! If you happened to look at my Camp Jeep photos, you can see that you can pack quite a bit in the back of a regular Wrangler.

Tops - I have a hard top and it has never been off. It's just as fun with the top on. I can't think of an easy way of storing my hard top (no garage) so it stays on. I'm thinking of getting the soft top if I get an Unlimited - the new tops are much quieter than they were in '98 when I bought my Noble Black Steed.

Reliability - Mine has had some issues - but then, so has the 2000 Tacoma. One item was peculiar to some built in 1998 (the dash gauge problem), the exhaust manifold was a problem for almost all Wranglers built before 2000 or 2001 (not sure when they redesigned it). I have also had to replace my A/C compressor, battery, and the lifts on the rear window. Since my Wrangler is over 6 years old and has 125,000 miles on the odo, I'm not unhappy. In fact, we are planning on selling the Taco after Labor Day and going back to having the Wrangler as our daily driver for a while, until we decide what to buy. I'm not worried about its reliability (our daily commute is 150 miles round trip, and involves about a 6,000 elevation difference so reliability is important).

If you like the Wrangler, get it - you will have so much fun with it!
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    My daughter and I went Jeep shopping yesterday. It was a blast! We both loved it top up and especially top down. We drove a used 2004 X that was equipped reasonably well with what I would pick if it was new but it was silver. Not that there's anything wrong with silver, it's just not red. I came home and searched some other dealer's used inventory and found exactly what I was looking for. A red X with automatic, air and half doors. The price makes me think it's been in an accident or something so I'll be getting the CarFax report. I'm going to test drive it Tuesday evening. Any advice as to what I should look for on a used 2004 with 4000 miles?

Thanks,

Dave
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    kool

As you probably saw in the post, I got my flame red Sport TJ with soft top and auto in January 2000. It has A/C, tilt wheel and cruise . I was 61 and about to retire in April.

I had wanted one since I was in the service in the early 60's. Today's are not like the military ones except for similar looks and being bullet proof.

I my case, my wife has an an Aurora we can use for travel, longer local trips and times when we take friends (yep, there are people who do not crave riding in the back seat of a Wrangler). However, our grandchildren that live in the area love it.

So, the TJ is my daily driver. I generally have the back seat out which gives me a little more room for the ocasional small hauling job. Whenever possible, I have the top down. There are plenty of opinions about soft top vs hard top on this board. All I can say is don't think putting the top up or down is not as much of a hassle as some believe. I put the top down this morning in about three minutes. It will take me about seven to put it back up. Of course, I probably do this more than most, probably about 15 times this summer so far (that's about over).

I don't off road (although Tom keeps working on that), it is just my wheels. The only mod I have made (if you can call it that) is I put 30" tires on it last week. They did make a difference in the way it looks.

All I can tell you is I like the rough ride, noise, looks and the turbulance with the top down. I do not like the 14 mpg I get with mostly around town driving. Since you have had one in the past, I'm sure you know the phrase "if I have to explain it, you will never understand".

Oh, I live in the Chicago area, the soft top is fine as far as the cold is concerned. The TJ is in the garage most nights, so I have never really picked up a load of snow. Then 3 inches or so it has gotten a few times did not give the top a problem.

It works for me.

Although I don't post that often, I read this board every day, so you are never talking to yourself.

Terry

P.S. I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I do. It is as good as I thought it would be.

T.
    Dave:

Hey, sounds like you are getting CLOSE! Good deal! You will NOT regret getting a Jeep.

I don't know what to tell you to look for in a used Wrangler other than the stuff you would check out on any other used vehicle, except that you might check underneath to see if you can tell if the Jeep has been off roaded much. Not that that in itself would be a bad thing, just that you might look for damage that has been repaired or covered up.

I will pass along the same that I did for Koolbreeze. Dealers are selling at invoice (I'd almost guarantee you that one could be had for invoice), AND you get that DC rebate, so, put those two things together, and you might get a brand new Jeep for very little more than you would get a "slightly used" 04 Wrangler for. You should at least check out the best deal on a new one.

Tom

• danm1danm1 Member Posts: 1
    I would own a Jeep wrangler now, but I have one issue: Are there no back seats with headrests available? I consider this an important safety feature - I cannot see putting my passengers at risk. Any ideas?
    Maybe some after market stuff? Can't say as I have ever seen anything. Never seen the issue raised before. Probably not a bad idea to get something, though, now that you mention it.

I never have backseat passengers. I never even have my backseat in.

Tom

Don't have passengers...it's better then not having a Wrangler.