Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Do you live in a major metro area? I live in a smaller area of under 300,000 people but we're 400 miles from Lordstown. Been waiting for these all year and am surprised by the distribution thus far.

Like you noted earlier, we're a month away from "full" distribution. With the TV commercials running nation-wide on Labor Day weekend, I expected a bit more availability. :confuse:
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    I live in Philly. Most models in inventory were 2LS models with the 1.8L engine for about $18,000. When I went to cars.com I got totally different models, mostly 1LT models with the 1.4L engine for about $19k-$20k.

I'm still waiting for someone to do a real road test of this car.
    7200 Cruze's were made in September. I'd imagine thats half of where they expect to be if running full tilt.
    "7200 Cruze's were made in September. I'd imagine thats half of where they expect to be if running full tilt. "

Wow! Thank you for the info. Yes, Lordstown can crank out 20,000 Units/Month so that figure is very low. It makes since though with the limited distribution we've seen. A slow start is fine as long as they get things right the first time. I'll be patient and hope to see these on the road and at dealerships everywhere in November. ;)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Found 6 down here...with each Chevy dealer getting 1 each. They really need to ramp things up a bit...and soon! Why on earth did they not have about 10k units waiting in the wings and then start mega production...a better solution as this car is very much anticipated by the general public looking to see if Chevy can compete with the Coronda's and everything else in this category. It's gotta be better than the dismal Cobalt.
    So come on Chevy & GM, get your act together!!!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    I just saw my first Cruze as I dropped our van off at the Chevy dealer for Monday service. I like the styling, and even for an LS the car had a really quality feel to the interior. Then I saw the window sticker....45% U.S. and Canadian content, and both the engine and trans assembled in Mexico.

I feel hugely let down.

I know they have to compete with all the foreign manufacturers that don't have 100 years of history here, and the related legacy issues, but I'm still disappointed.

I'll take some solace in the fact that it's built 40 miles from where I live, and the parent company is an American corporation, but I think this car may be off my 'short' list when I'm ready for another car.

I'm too lazy to check the window sticker, but I'm nearly certain my '08 Cobalt had 80% U.S. and Canadian content, and with automatic trans both engine and trans were built in U.S. (my car is a 5-speed and the trans was built in Italy).
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Remember you saw an "LS" with the base engine. The "LT" will be the volume model and it has a different engine.

The line is often blurred between foreign and domestic, but a GM car built in Lordstown, Ohio is domestic in my book.
    That is the NA content on the Corolla? How about the civic? I can guarantee the next Focus wont have high domestic content because like the Cruze it was primarily developed overseas.

The 1.4L turbo is made in American to my knowledge. The 1.8L in the LS obviously isn't.

The Cobalt was generally a NA only product which is why its local parts content was higher. The Cruze sold in the US is largely unchanged from whats sold in Europe and Asia- this is how things work when you have a global product.
    The corolla, Sentra, Jetta and 3 aren't built in the US so the Cruze already has an advantage over them in that regard. The new Focus will be built here but I dont expect high levels of domestic content.
    Your point is well-taken; I guess I'm just an old-fashioned guy at age 52. Plus, my entire life, I've lived 40 miles from Lordstown, OH...grew up that far east of them, in PA, and now live that far due west of them.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2010
    --

On the Cruze...

Why is there some kind of lock\unlock button on the center stack?

What is the lock\unlock button for?... The radio?... The HVAC?

--
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    well, that is normally the symbol for th epower locks. Possible that they have 1 center mounted button instead of having one on each door.

I beleive this is a common way to do it in Europe for some reason.

If nothing else, it saves costs, only having 1 instead of 2!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The center mounted lock button is found on the Regal and Equinox too. The Focus has this as well. You really dont use the lock button much on modern cars so its a nonissue to me.
    The 1.4L turbo is made in the US so the LT and LTZ models with have more US content.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I use the lock button constantly on my Buick. Just a habit I got into with my previous car when I open the drivers door to get out; I push the lock button to invoke the delayed locking function. If I were to buy a Cruse I guess I'd have to retrain myself to use the remote.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Will the Cruze with 1.4 turbo be available with a manual trans (other than the ECO)? I'm not willing to give up my manual trans, but don't want the ECO with various stuff removed to max out EPA ratings.

Anyone know?
    homerkc: The base Cruze LS comes with a manual tranny as standard equipment. This car has the 1.8L engine of course.

If you want the 1.4T engine and a stick shift, then you have to go with the ECO model.
    ab348: I'm the same as you. I use the lock button on the driver's door every time I get out of my Lucerne. I noticed in pics of the Cruze that there is no lock button on the door so the center console it is..... :surprise:

I agree it's no big deal though. Use the remote or hit the center console button after you crack the door open. Works for me. I do want to downsize from my Lucerne next year and the Cruze is at the top of my list. The 60-series tires on the LT should ride well and they say it's as quiet as a Lexus. :D
    I have never used the button on the door to lock it. Just the remote, so I may not even know there no button on the door!

also, maybe there will be a future SS model with some more HP and a 6 speed stick and sporty suspension.

Originally they said no SS version was in the works but later reports suggested that GM was again working on high performance models aside from the V series Cadillacs and ZR1. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Chevy to do an SS and hopefully they will comply. They already have the 2L turbo so its a no brainer.

I think the center locks are going to become more and more common. I rarely use the button so it doesn't matter to me. The car unlocks automatically when you shift into park and the doors can be locked with the fob.
    I saw an LT2 at my local dealership today and was very impressed. It does look far better in person than in photos. Almost a German look that reminds me of a small BMW. This will be my next car.
    funny you said that because when I saw it in the flesh at Philly auto show I too thought it reminded me of a 3 series sedan for some reason. There is something about the arc of the roof that reminds you of more expensive small sedans- it also reminds me of the Volvo S40 sedan.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hello folks,just returned from my local chevy dealer down here in pembroke pines fla to check out the new 2011 chevy cruze.in my opinion this car is a rip-off for the price and the features and the lack of power.they had 2 cruzes on the lot.1LS model and 1 1LT model.the 1LT model with the turbo engine had a msrp of $19,100.00.......that's alot of money for a compact car with only 140 HP,no standard cruise control or rear disk brakes.......on the other other hand i also looked at a 2011 mazda 3 across the street from the chevy dealer.msrp for 2011 mazda 3 I touring is $19,500.00 and includes 148 HP,cruise control,rear disk brakes,better handling and much better resale value..chevy is charging way to much for to little of a car when it comes to the cruze..there are far to many better choices out there for almost $20,000.00.......
    You could already tell "better handling" from a test drive and you can also predict resale value?
    Sounds like your mind was already made up before you tested the car. You failed to mention Corolla, Focus and Sentra dont have 4 wheel discs standard. The 3 is one of the few compacts that has them across the board.

How do you know resale for Cruze already? You have secret info we don't? The Cruze hasnt even been tested with real numbers yet but early reviews have been impressed with ride and handling. I'm pretty sure a Cruze 1LS has better mileage, better tranny, more space, larger trunk and Onstar vs Mazda3.
    How can a car be a "rip-off" if you didn't buy it? :P

Chevrolet developed a premium small car in the Cruze. The 10hp difference you noted means little. It's torque that counts and where in the rev band it's produced. 148hp at 6,000 rpms means next to nothing for the average driver who never goes over 5,000 rpms. The Cruze will be quieter and ride smoother than the 3.

If you can't afford a quality 2011 vehicle that stickers for under $20K, hit the pre-owned lot.
    edited October 2010
    All 3 of you are making statements without even driving this poor car...and the funny part is y'all don't see that you're doing the same thing. Guys, y'all are turning this forum into a pissing match about which team is better and making opinionated statements to back up your claims. Stop already!! Jeeez louise!!

Once we get to drive it can we make "personal opinions" about the car...PERSONAL OPINIONS ARE NOT FACTS...just individual perceptions. It seems the same 3 "chevy " guys are pushing some sort of agenda here, biased based on their liking chevy . I personally want to drive all the cars, back to back if possible, to come up with "my opinions" based on real time experience. So enough with the pissing already and go drive 'em so y'all can make an honest assesment.

Backy, I'm depending on you to do the test drives, as these other folks in here already have tainted opinions. At least you go in with no preconceived notions when you test drive. Backy...I'm counting on you!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    could be doors or windows.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The locks have the traditional lock/unlock icons which means they are for the locks and not the window lockout feature. Agreed that it's an awkward position for them, but maybe it's a reminder thing since it's near to where one will be pulling the key out. Not a bad location...really.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

You're right that I have not test driven the Cruze yet but objective statistics are available from many road tests. 10 Airbags is an objective stat. 68dBa interior sound level at 70mph is objective as is the fact that lower profile tires ride more harshly than higher profile.

There are hundreds of cars being made that I will never drive. Does that mean I have no quantifiable opinion of them? Does a summation of a dozen independent road tests mean anything? It must or we'd have many automotive journalists out of work.

I'm a quality engineer who used to work for GM in the 1990's by the way.
  • hilltrothilltrot Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    You mean you walked across the street from the Mazda dealership where you worked to lie about the competition. At $19,500 you get cruise control on the cruze as well. You're argueing for 8 more horsepower which gets worse mileage than an SUV.

The Mazda is noisy, noisy, noisy. The automatic transmission is old and dated. You also have to pay $1000 more for an automatic. The interior quality as well as seats are inferior on the Mazda. The Back seat of the Mazda 3 is so small as to be unusable. Etc, etc.

I'm not going to say there is no reason to buy a Mazda, but you are seriously one-sided in your opinion. If you are willing to murder your ride quality, noise levels, build quality, ownership costs, and interior comfort for a better handling car, go for a Mazda. It's an ok car. Hell, I've driven a 2003 Mazda Protege5 105,000 miles and didn't even think twice about buying a crappy Cobalt. But at the same time Mazda hasn't made me want to upgrade either. And I've done a number of Mazda test drives.

The cruze, however, is a car I'm looking forward to having.

The Cruze
    So you are suggesting one cant learn anything about a car unless they are test driving it? Honeslty, most test drives are 15min at the most and don't tell you much about a car. You are really overstating the value of a brief test drive. If research and comparison of specs and reviews wasnt important sites like edmunds.com wouldnt be successful. Whether you like it or not lots can be learned from reviews and internet research. What we know so far is that the Cruze is quiet, has class leading airbags, standard 6 speed transmissions, lots of space, class leading trunk. a few exclusive features and great safety ratings in Europe. Sorry, but that does count for SOMETHING in my book.What do you plan to learn during a test drive that would drastically alter your perception of the car?
    Good point about the auto. Its standard on LT and LTZ and competitors prices dont include optional autos which typically cost about $800-$1000. Automakers know few get the manuals but listing each trim with a manual allows for lower prices to be advertised. Ford said 90% of compact buyers get automatics and thats why the new Focus wont offer a manual on SEL or Titanium trims.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It stinks to be in the 10% though. Stuck with all the bottom of the rung models. I would pay extra to not have an automatic.

I would like an ECO with leather seats and a stick. No chance that will be available. Fortunately VW has a few diesel models that could work.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Here is to GM making a better quality product than they have ever done in the past.

Here is what was previously been built at Lordstown:

1971-1977 Chevrolet Vega
    1971-1994 Chevrolet Van
    1971-1994 GMC Vandura
    1975-1977 Pontiac Astre
    1977-1980 Chevrolet Monza/Pontiac Sunbird
    1978-1979 Buick Skyhawk/Oldsmobile Starfire
    1982-1994 Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac J-2000/Sunbird
    1995-1997 Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire
    1998-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
    1998-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
    2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
    2005-2009 Pontiac G5/Pursuit/G4

There is no a quality winner in the bunch.
    It requires a lot of faith in GM to believe they will now operate differently than they have for 40 years.
    Local dealer in NJ put a banner on their Sunday paper ad that the Cruze was now in stock. So they must be getting out there.

I see you conveniently left out the Pontiac Firebird, and full-size Chevrolet lineup (Impala, Caprice, et al) from '66-70--the standard bearer of full-size cars then, and best-regarded of that era, now--and built at Lordstown.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2010
    I've bought Dodge for the past 15 years or so, it's time for a change! This past weekend the wife and I were cruising (no pun intended!) through a chevy dealership in town. They happened to have 2 new Cruze LS models sitting right in front. We went inside and asked to take a test drive. The exterior catches your eye right off, very pleasing lines. As soon as we got into the Cruze and shut the door it was quiet! The dashboard "wraps"around you and the seats hug your body. Mind you, I'm 6"-4" and weigh 250 lbs. and I had plenty of room from my legs to the top of my head. As we took off into traffic, onto a busy highway, the Cruze offered plenty of "pep" with the 1.8l engine as we merged into traffic. The cornering and handling was very impressive to the both of us. The sound-deadening materials Chevy put into the Cruze is everything they are advertising, very quiet! No road noise at all, and the engine is barely audible unless speeding up onto an on-ramp or passing. Although this was only the LS model we were both very impressed with our 20 minute test drive. I have 4 months until my Dodge Caliber is paid off and then I'm buying a Cruze! We're planning on getting a LT1 or LT2 when ready for the extras we want. If I was going to buy a car with the basics on it, I would have bought the LS we drove in a heartbeat...only $18,100. If you haven't test driven one, do it!
    Are you sure the ECO model will not have leather available? I hadn't heard that yet.
    You provided no proof of anything you stated. The cobalt was actually rated average by CR in reliability. It wasnt recommended because of its road test score. The Cruze wasprimarily developed overseas so its engineering has nothing to do with the old American cars on your list. Different GM, different people, different era. Do you really think the average prospective Cruze buyer under 30 knows much about the Sunbird or Vega?
    Chevy hasnt released ordering details for the ECO model yet.
    I was hoping that the LT would have higher than 45% North American parts content, like the LS I saw a week ago had, but I'm afraid it doesn't. I'm sitting in the waiting room of a Chevy dealer right now and the LT up front also has 45% N.A. content, but instead of its engine being built in Mexico (like the 1.8), the 1.4L Turbo is built in Austria. The trans in the LT is still built in Mexico (like the 1.8). I'm happy it's a Chevy built in OH, but disappointed in the parts content.
    I understand your point. I look at the Cruze as a domestic since it's a U.S. company building it in the U.S. Most of the profits stay here.

I see Toyota's with 75% "domestic" content but realize most of the profits go back to Japan.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    edited October 2010
    quote uplanderguy-I see you conveniently left out the Pontiac Firebird, and full-size Chevrolet lineup (Impala, Caprice, et al) from '66-70--the standard bearer of full-size cars then, and best-regarded of that era, now--and built at Lordstown.

It's about math, not convenience. 40 years was the frame referenced in my post. Vehicles you mentioned were produced more than 40 years in the past. Also stated "that they ever produced" so best to include the '66 to ''70 products.

To be fair to Lordstown you are correct that Firebird and full size Chevrolets were produced there from 1966 up until 1970. Many of the vehicles that survived from this time period are very well regarded, specifically the Firebird and Impala. American automotive industry was truly world class during the 60's.

With the changes made to GM it's hopeful they will regain the status they earned earlier in their history compared to the reputation they earned in the late 70's, 80's and 90's.

Only time will tell, one observation I have is that the Cobalt/G5 had the worst fit and finish of any GM vehicle I've had the opportunity to experience during the past 5 years. Colorado/Canyon was also very poor early in it's introduction though it has improved in recent years.
    It's difficult to change an established culture.
    GM issues a press release a while ago announcing that 1.4L engines for Volt and Cruze would be built in Michigan. I'm not sure why the 1.4L in the Cruze you saw would be from Austria. Maybe that will change once Volt production starts but at some point you should see 1.4L turbos from the US.
    I guess this facility isnt up and running yet:

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/P- ages/news/Plant_Facts/Powertrain/FlintSouth

The turbo will be built in Michigan.
    I am wondering what your specific experience with the Cobalt is, other than the typical "if it's a GM small car, it must be sh*tty" without ever truly experiencing one.

I have an '08 XFE sedan, 5-speed, ABS, air, and satellite radio. With my $2K in GM card savings, I paid $9,900 OTD for the car, and no they didn't make money on me in financing or extended warranties. The hard fact is, I ride 300 miles every other week with two coworkers, one of which has an '05 Honda Civic and an '09 Toyota Matrix. Both are significantly noisier on the highway than my Cobalt...and the one coworker is a Ford guy who wouldn't give Chevy an inch but brought this up to me without me saying a thing about it...although I agree totally. Also, the Matrix, even as a 'hatchback', doesn't have as much carrying space as my Cobalt's trunk..our stuff would fall up and out of it. The Cobalt has 'shock absorbers' on the trunk lid too, instead of the huge gooseneck hinges of the Civic. I know that perceptions are hard to change, however.
    Had signed up online to get a Cruze brochure, instead got a "trailer" with another offer for a brochure. Confused here...I already asked for one...now I have to ask for another...what gives? This time, will I get the "real" brochure, or will it be another "trailer" with another app? Never happened before...is this something new from Chevy? Really want a brochure!!!

edited October 2010
    I asked for a brochure at the dealership today and was told they had not gotten any in yet. And they've had three actual Cruzes in (first was LS, which was sold apparently, and now a 1LT and a 2LT).
    What do these include? Like a 2.0 engine with a moderate of extra's & an auto box. Nothing crazy. But suppose the brochure will have all the info I'm looking for.