Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• ekinneyekinney Member Posts: 1
    My Malibu Classic 2003 has many of these same issues, good to know a Fuel Pump Relay may fix it temporarily, but sounds like not much of a fix. Where do I find the fuel pump relay, is it hard to get to?

I have had it start when 57 degrees out, am still experimenting with temperature ranges. Once I used "blue ice" frozen Ice packs to rescue my wife when it would not start. I placed the ice packs all around the keyhole area (top of dash, against the indicator panel, resting on the wiper handle, and held one in place below with my knee. In about 10-15 minutes it started. I had jumper cables on it so I could try every so often.

Another time I tried plastic bags of crushed ice on variuos places under the hood. No luck at all, I waited till 11 pm and drove back to where it was stuck and it started right up. So based on my limited ice attempts I'd say the temperature that is important is interior, not under the hood temperature. I have not experimented with airconditioning, but since it has to be running to turn on air conditioning, I don't see a way for that to help, other than allowing a quick stop.

I also noticed the symptoms with the turn signals, but mine is not as bad off as yours. If it cannot start the signals just buzz when the ignition is on, but if it can start they work *almost* fine. I say "almost" because the first troubles I had began about a year ago, after using the turn signals the clicking sound they make continued even after I turned off the blinker. It would keep clicking somewhat erratically, then eventually calm down and stop. Then if I used the blinker again it often would start happening again.

If I can get it to start, then I am fine, it keeps running no problem. I just keep it running when I stop for gas, for example. It has door remote so I can leave it running and locked while making a quick stop at a store, and use the remote thingy to get back in when I am ready to leave.

Thank you for posting your experiences, eventually we'll get the right part to fix figured out. by turning the key to "on" and listening to see if I hear the fuel pump come on, I can predict if it will start, without having to waste battery turning it over. One time I was turning it on then off, listening for the fuel pump, and one of the electrical ger boxes in the fuse panel under the hood started buzzing, I felt them till I could feel the one that was buzzing, and switched it with another one that was the same. It stopped buzzing, but that did not fix it. I have not yet checked to see what circuit it was on, but maybe I will get a clue that way too.
  • 1988fierogt1988fierogt Member Posts: 4
    Hey - Did you ever resolve your vibration problem? I ignored long enough and just put up with it until about 8 months ago when my steering was clicking loudly. The car was still under warranty at the time. I took it in the dealer and they remove spline of the steering column and re-lube. Since then the vibration went away.

I think what it was that the steering column supposedly slides up and down the spline and should damp the vibration input from the wheels, however this spline was sticking and transferring the vib into your steering wheel. What do you think? Would like to hear back if you still have the car?
    regards,
    Anh Le
  • sneakyusersneakyuser Member Posts: 12
  • sojumasojuma Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT. It seems when the weather starts to get cold I have a 50/50 Chance that the Rear Door will latch and stay closed. When it decides that it isnt going to latch there is no amount of cussing and slamming the door that will change its mind. I either have to tie it closed using the seat belt or just stay home and try it when it again later when it warms up. Any suggestions?
  • malibu05lolmalibu05lol Member Posts: 2
    please if anyone has fixed this eratic door locks and alarm problem please help i am having the same problem
  • malibu05lolmalibu05lol Member Posts: 2
    please help if you solved this problem i am having the exact problem with the locks and alarm
  • 2005malibu012005malibu01 Member Posts: 5
  • mizshellimizshelli Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. My mechanic found out that the issue is in the hood latch of the car. The latch is faulty, making the car think the doors are being opened illegally, triggering the alarm. The door lock problem is also related to the command module for the locks, I can't remember what it's called. This is the WORST car I've ever owned, I'll never buy another Chevy again.
  • uncledewey1uncledewey1 Member Posts: 25
    My user manual states the computer will track my usage/environment and the computer will tell me when to change my oil. Yet I have heard that no matter what, I must change the oil at least once a year. I am close to a year and my computer monitor say I have used 11% of my oil usage as opposed to 100% just after an oil change. Do I wait until my computer tells me to change the oil or must I do it in one year no matter what the usage/mileage?

Thanks a mil, Dewey
  • mtodd2mtodd2 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2003 Malibu with the same issue. The signal/wiper switch that goes around the steering wheel needs to be replaced. It's shaped like a horse shoe and slips right over the top. took about ten minutes to put the new one on. So both levers on the steering wheel will be replaced at the same time because it's all one unit. The part cost me $94.00.... go into an auto parts dealer and they can look up the exact part for you
    Remember the good old days when bumpers (front & Rear) protected your auto body from damage? Today the bumpers are a part of the body. My 2008 Malibu first showed its problem when parking vertically to a curb and as the bumper reached the curb it was so low it dragged over the curb and scratched the bumper. Since then when parking parallel I have come too close to another vehicle, and no old bumper to let me know I was too close, but just the scraping of the bumper paint. Or I backed into the vehicle behind me and guess what--a chip of paint gone from my rear bumper.

Alas!!!!!!!!! Is there another solution? Is there something that lets me know when I'm too close? Remember the wires by the passenger side of the car that would warn you when were too close to the curb--don't want to mark up the white walls!!

Any ideas? I'm spending over $1,000 to have my front bumper/grill repainted. {:--((((

Uncle Dewey
    I was hoping our moderators, Kristie and Karens, would have some suggestions. Or someone else would say they have the same problems. If you own a later model Malibu, take the time to check the bottom of the bumper/grill, or other parts of the your front/rear bumpers. There must be a solution.

Uncle Dewey
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited August 2012
    Moderators can't generally solve your vehicle issues - neither of us has a Malibu. We just moderate all discussions involving sedans and help get you to the discussion best suited for your question.

The solution for the rear would be to purchase an aftermarket backup camera.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kweb1990kweb1990 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu, 130,000 miles on it. I have replaced most things, spark plugs, starter, battery, ect. I have kept it maintained regularly. For the past 6 months or so I have had this unfortunate event where ALL of my gauges on my dash board drop to 0 while I am driving, while simultaneously the power steering goes out. So naturally, when this first started happening I would pull over and turn the car off. Problem was the car would not start back up for at least 15 minutes. I've taken it many places to be looked at, spent so much on diagnostic tests to get NO answers as to what is wrong. If I could get an answer I would happily fix it rather than continuing to drive around in it with my child, and even more bothersome now I am expecting. This should be my family car. The problem has steadily gotten worse and more frequent (from once a month, to once a week) and now, the car would not start back up at all, and with no idea what to replace to get it fixed. For a little extra information, the check engine light STAYS on, heres the kicker, no code comes up when the mechanics plug it in to a computer, like its not registering an issue of any kind. PLEASE HELP! I loved my malibu until recently, and if theres something I can replace to get it working SAFELY then I would love to keep it!
    This is the only solution I have been told MIGHT be the issue, but when I look this up, the problems don't seem to be the same. I seem to be having a lot of electrical issues (hints all my gauges going out) so I'm not sure if thats it. Its a pricey part to be so unsure about :/
  • mr_smithmr_smith Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2014 chevy Malibu......Just paid 64 dollars for an oil change at a chevy dealership!!!!!!!! Is this dexos oil required??? What other oil's have the dexos specs?? please help
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited December 2014
    Yes the dexos specification oil IS required for your car. To meet the dexos specification an oil does not have to be a full synthetic although there are advantages to the full synthetic version. Keep in mind your car uses an oil life monitor and you don't have to change the oil again until the monitor alerts you to do so, or one year has passed. That could easily be 10,000 miles between changes depending on the climate that you live in and normal usage. (distance driven for each start-up, highway VS stop and go etc.)