Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

12346»

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    One is never EVER supposed to hold the steering-wheel against the "stop" for any reason. This puts excessive load on the power-steering components. This fact is mentioned in the owners-manual of every vehicle I have ever owned. (Asian, German, domestic.... all of them)

I believe your 2011 VW has ELECTRIC power-steering. It may be a belt slipping you are hearing.
  • sdsunsdsun Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for your reply.

I have not owned a VW in 10 years and my other current vehicles are Audis. I have never experienced this in my life.

Unfortunately, since it was a used car, it did not come with an owner's manual. I plan on purchasing one soon. :)

I was not sure if that problem was a defect in the redesigned Jetta. Thank you for your wisdom and kindness. ;)
  • gtodavegtodave Member Posts: 12
    i believe only the tdi models have electric power assist.
  • sdsunsdsun Member Posts: 13
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You said ==> "i believe only the tdi models have electric power assist."

The bottom line is still the same - holding steering-wheel against 'stop' is not desirable in ANY vehicle. A noise or slipping belt might be the least of one's worries if this becomes a habit.
  • jhv85jhv85 Member Posts: 2
  • jhv85jhv85 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Jetta which was purchased new. It's the worst car on the face of the planet.

12v adapters never worked
    Ignition sticks, broke both keys (quoted over $700 for new ignition and keys)
    Wouldn't shift, stuck in 3rd gear
    Key stuck in ignition, can't turn car off

I had to park the car and leave it running until it ran out of gas because there was no way to turn it off. This is the absolute worst car imaginable. Never ever ever buy a Volkswagen!
  • jennifer63jennifer63 Member Posts: 7
    THE SERVICE BULLETIN VW WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT........................OR PERFORM THE SERVICE!

There is a service bulletin on the NHTS website. THEY have the power to ensure that your car is SAFE to drive.

Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov "File A Complaint"
    about this SAFETY related/documented lose of power and no response when pressing on the accelerator. It could save someone life!!!

SERVICE BULLETIN
    Service Bulletin No.: 01-13-14
    Component(s): ENGINE NHTSA ID Number: 10052336
    All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
    Details
    0 Associated Documents
    Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc.
    SUMMARY:
    VOLKSWAGEN: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A MISFIRE AND/OR REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. *JS

SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE

Date Complaint Filed: 08/16/2013
    Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
    Date of Incident: 05/19/2013
    NHTSA ID Number: 10535696
    0 Associated Documents
    Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
    Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 3VW2K7AJ6DM...
    SUMMARY:
    I WAS TRYING TO MERGE ONTO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND WHEN I PUSHED ON THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR WAS UNRESPONSIVE. IT CREATED AN UNSAFE SITUATION WHERE I HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND LET THE TRAFFIC PASS BY, THEN PUT THE CAR IN MANUAL SHIFT SO THAT I COULD ACCELERATE ENOUGH TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC. THE INABILITY TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE DUE TO NO RESPONSE FROM THE ENGINE HAPPENS USUALLY AROUND SPEEDS OF 40 MILES AN HOUR. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CAR WILL BE IN 6 GEAR AT VERY LOW SPEEDS AND FAILS TO DOWN SHIFT WHEN THE GAS IS PRESSED. THIS RESULTS IN A LOSE OF POWER AND DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SAFELY MANEUVER THE VEHICLE IN EMERGENCY AND NON-EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.

Models affected Golf Beetle Passat Jetta and MORE
    You can file a complaint with the government agency that watches over recalls for safety issues like this http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

Jetta is more than just sluggish, as some of its reviewers have stated, it is down right unsafe. When the car regularly takes several seconds to respond when you press the gas pedal, won't down shift, or misfires and results in a "reduction in performance" or what I call a several second complete loss of power, it puts you and other drivers around you at risk for accidents that could have deadly results.

Other effected models beetle golf rabbit eos gti r32 tiguan touareg hybrid cc.
    Years 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
    THE SERVICE BULLETIN VW WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT........................OR PERFORM THE SERVICE!

There is a service bulletin on the NHTS website. THEY have the power to ensure that your car is SAFE to drive.

about this SAFETY related/documented lose of power and no response when pressing on the accelerator. It could save someone life!!!

SERVICE BULLETIN
    Details
    0 Associated Documents
    SUMMARY:
    VOLKSWAGEN: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A MISFIRE AND/OR REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. *JS

SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE

0 Associated Documents
    SUMMARY:
    I WAS TRYING TO MERGE ONTO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND WHEN I PUSHED ON THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR WAS UNRESPONSIVE. IT CREATED AN UNSAFE SITUATION WHERE I HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND LET THE TRAFFIC PASS BY, THEN PUT THE CAR IN MANUAL SHIFT SO THAT I COULD ACCELERATE ENOUGH TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC. THE INABILITY TO CONTROL THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE DUE TO NO RESPONSE FROM THE ENGINE HAPPENS USUALLY AROUND SPEEDS OF 40 MILES AN HOUR. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE CAR WILL BE IN 6 GEAR AT VERY LOW SPEEDS AND FAILS TO DOWN SHIFT WHEN THE GAS IS PRESSED. THIS RESULTS IN A LOSE OF POWER AND DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO SAFELY MANEUVER THE VEHICLE IN EMERGENCY AND NON-EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.

SERVICE BULLETIN
    Details
    0 Associated Documents
    SUMMARY:

SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE

0 Associated Documents
    SUMMARY:

SERVICE BULLETIN
    Details
    0 Associated Documents
    SUMMARY:

SAFETY COMPLAINTS LIKE

0 Associated Documents
    SUMMARY:

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Ignition sticks, broke both keys (quoted over $700 for new ignition and keys)
    Wouldn't shift, stuck in 3rd gear
    Key stuck in ignition, can't turn car off

These are all related and is probably just an adjustment. It is important to realize though, that in case you are attempting to turn the key when the steering wheel turned quite sharp and maybe a bump against the tire putting extra pressure on the steering lock, that you do not try to force it if it feels stiff. The solution is (sometimes, depending on your car and case) is to simply take other hand and hold wheel to relieve pressure and then try to turn the key.

This is all wty so why not call VW? They also would have helped you when you couldn't turn car off...just call roadside assistance.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I would be interested to read a new review of your 2011 Jetta now since you have had it well over a year and a half. Has it been a good car still? Any issues?