Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Comments

• fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Thats what I've been saying, as a Jetta V owner, the Jetta VI is not very good. No way I'd think about Jetta VI........drum brakes?? Huge trunk hinges that take away useable room in there, and yes I have needed all the room in the trunk a few times.

The list goes on and on................is this just a bad dream?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    edited October 2010
    We obviously don't have overly high standards, owning an ION and a Corolla, but nonetheless, we were so disappointed in the new Jetta, we did not even bother to drive the thing.

Oh my, that is certainly a bad sign for this new Jetta...getting dissed by Ion owners. :surprise:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yeah, I got a little uneasy, reading the ION and Jetta in the same sentence.

:)

Thanks for the reviews.
    Get used to it.....Jetta VI is meant to get people into showrooms....." $15,995 new Jetta" VW dealers gotta pull bait 'n' switch on people now, thats gonna go over well.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    I too sat in an 2011 Jetta to day. One word sums it up - "Industrial". The interior while functional is downright plain. It reminds me of sitting in someone's delivery truck.

Let me be honest, I have never owned a Volkswagen. IMHO- this new Jetta is going to "BOMB".

Volkswagen has never understood the North American market. The "old VW BUG" sold on price alone.

After that it's been all downhill.
    They took the best seller here (in Germany Golf outsells Jetta 130-1) and decided if we like sedans they will give us what we want.....a big appliance.

Unfortunately they may sell alot of em on price, I hope you are right and it doesnt sell and they will realize they goofed. Time will tell.
  • tacalintacalin Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2010
    at the right moment, I think.

I leased a VW Rabbit 2007 and as my lease will end in january, I wanted to see what option the dealer will offer me. I was looking mostly for a TDI one. Jetta 2011 was up at the moment (july) and at least in the pictures looked nice.

This monday, I was at the dealer to see the new Jetta and I was really disapointed. First of all, the armrest is cheap (no more leather on) and is not sliding, nor vertically adjusted. The vents in the back of the armrest are not there anymore, the finish of the clothing is cheap too (on the door for example), the plastic on the dash is harder and looks cheaper too. So much for the aspect.

For the "inside" things, I really am disapointed to see the return of the torsion bar in suspension and also the return of the hydraulic steering assist instead of the electrical one.

I asked the dealer if for the high line trim I could have some more quality and he told me that there is nothing that he can offer me and that this is the way VW decided to cut the production cost. In my opinion, this is not a good direction for VW and I think that the Jetta 2011 will be a big fiasco for VW.

Fortunately, I was able to find a last model of a comfort line Wagon 2010 full equipped (in Canada is named Golf Wagon). For me, it's surely a good choice, since the interior and the functionality are similar to my Rabbit.
    They should have used GM as an example of what not to do. More is not always better. Now is not the time to test out a new approach. Stick with what you know VW! You simply can't cut costs down on a car that people look for quality on and will pay the money for! People will notice! This is what sets VW apart from others, that you can get a reasonable priced car that feels expensive! I might have my mom keep her leased 08 Jetta!!

I will test drive one! But, it will be an SEL.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    There is only one small rubber gasket around the door windows. My '07 Accord has at least two very large rubber gaskets.

I would insist in driving a demo car on the freeway to determine noise levels....
  • tacalintacalin Member Posts: 7
    Just wanted to add that I commute around 45 miles and around 1h30m / day and the interior & comfort of a car seem to become so important when you spend as much time in your car
  • driverberndriverbern Member Posts: 23
    My daughter bought a 2011 Jetta S. I have a 2006 TDI. The difference between the two is alarming. The new one screams "cheap." It was good for her since it was affordable but for those of us used to a quality car - forget it. I doubt that my next car will be a VW unless they realize they have regressed and correct their error.
    Your daughter is exactly the target market for the new Jetta. Those who want safe, reliable (hopefully) and very competitive priced transportation.

Does your daughter care about independent rear suspension, or how many horsepower the motor makes? Probably not.

They didn't make it for those who care about performance. Hopefully, enough people who want "basic" transportation will buy it.

Because, let's face it. There were not that many of us who bought the performance, German craftsmanship, etc. aspects of the brand to keep them in business in North America. AND THAT'S REALITY!

So the best case is they sell MANY JETTAS and still make a few limited production performance models for the rest of us.
    Well, I wouldn't go that far against the new model. lol. But, It does drive nice and better than most in the class. I did have a chance to drive an SEL. I really like it. But, there were a few areas that I could tell were sacrificed. Overall quality is just a notch below then before. But, still sharp looking.

It felt and bit bigger and perhaps a bit agile. Would I still lease one? Yeah, I would. The price is good, for what you get. Though, I still do not agree with VW's method for getting more people to drive them. Bad move. :( Sorta sad. That is what drove people to VW, that appeal, quality and apeal. Something different.

I think people will warm up to it eventually, most will criticize a new model hard. But, with reason. It is a bit out of VW territory. A bit less VW. More....Utility like.
    Why did your daughter choose the Jetta over, say, a Civic, Corolla, Focus, Elantra, Mazda3, Lancer, etc.?

As was indicated by another poster: "Hopefully, enough people who want "basic" transportation will buy it."

So I am wondering why one would choose the new VW over the alternatives.
    Price.....cant miss the "$15,995" in the ads. The rest is up to the dealer.
    But Focus and Mazda3 ads have prices well below that...like maybe $12,995 or $13,995, not sure about the others as Honda and Toyota ads tend to be about lease prices and I do not see too many for the other compacts.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited October 2010
    There is more to a car than the price-point.

Dont get me wrong, I think it is great that VW has an entry-level vehicle in the US market.... HOWEVER - If the repairs and parts are expensive like other VWs are, this may be a short-lived boost in sales.

If these inexpensive VWs still require special VW antifreeze, power-steering fluid and other 'propriatary' maintainance items, I fear they will be doomed.

A Dodge ro Chevy is cheep to buy.... *and* parts are easy to find and relativly inexpensive.

Case in point:
    My wifes VW needed a couple cups of antifreeze yesterday. but VW G12 antifreeze is ONLY available at VW/Audi dealerships or speicalty foriegn-parts suppliers at about $15 a liter.

If I need antifreeze for a Chevy, any Wallmart carries it for about $12 a GALLON
    The price is what truly has me! It really isn't too different than the model before. Other than its even more grown up. Feels a bit bigger, less compact. A few areas where they didn't focus on as much. I really think we are all criticizing it quite hard. Which is fine, its new. It is the wrong approach VW is using. The pricing of the model before was just fine with me.

Even my dad mentioned. Our family had leased a 04 Jetta, then an 08 Jetta.

The 04 Jetta was sporty, quick and just had the VW Zoom, zoom appeal. Then we had the 08 Jetta, a bit bigger, quick, still zoomy. A bit grown up.

Then there is the 2011 Jetta, its even bigger, less youthful. It has lost a bit of the VW spirit that we all love!! But, I only drove it around the town for like 10min. Feels solid and good. I would drive one.

I was wanting an Accord, but with similar features and NO nav, it is $28k.
    Way too high. Only mentioning it, because I was wanting it.

Would I drive one? Yes, but I wish they had the RED and 2.0T out now!! They need to come in with a bang!!
    Your right. But sometimes to avoid this (expensive parts/maintenance items) one has to do a little "detective work". Does a factory really make VW's own Anti-Freeze? Or, find out what the properties are and can it be bought any where else cheaper? For example, if your looking for a good motor oil, MotorCraft at Walmart is one of the best. It's mentioned on many forums. And it's cheap. That's just an example.
    All the maintenance would be include during my 3yr lease. So that would be a good thing. But, yes knowing if you can just go buy the product yourself would be awesome and less expensive.
    The new, more competitive, lower price so far seems to be mostly imaginary. The lowest price Jetta that most dealers appear to have is at MSRP of $20,300. So the actual cars that the dealers think they are going to sell (SE automatics) are priced $4000 higher than the price that is being advertised.

Meanwhile for the Civic, there are loads of them in stock at MSRP of $18,105.
    Read post #55
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited October 2010
    One must use antifreeze which meets G12 specifications.... The price I quoted above was for the "Pentosin"" brand which is the original manufacturer of the VW-branded stuff. (and cheaper) I cant afford to use the VW-branded stuff from the dealership.

OH - and my VW requires VW 505.01 spec oil lest the turbocharger may not live long.

Anyone who purchases a VW and is not aware of the "special" maintenance they require may be in for a surprise when something goes wrong because they did not strictly follow the German maintenance procedures.

Dont get me wrong, I have absolutely no problems maintaining the VWs my family owns because I know what they need to live long and prosper.
    The average new-car buyer trades in the car at 55,000 miles, approximately every four years.

according to: http://www.safecarguide.com/gui/new/neworused.htm

So I doubt that the cost of fluids, that will not even need replacing in that time frame, are going to be an issue for many of them.

But, whatever happen to bringing the Polo over to be the entry level vehicle?
    I would question the 55,000 average trade in miles. There is a recession going on and I know many solid middle class people keeping their cars longer. I am looking for another car. yes, the used car lot do have cars less than 55K miles on them. But, they are usually lease returns or previous rentals. There are a few private party time to time.

I would question how long ago this statistic was formulated.

You can buy JETTA FOR 15k, but it is very basic. You can buy a Kia Optima LX fully loaded for the same price. The reliability of either model can be questioned. With a Kia you get 5yr-60K basic and a 100k power train. The Kia stickers for 20K with $5,000 in discounts that are very common.
  • puffinspuffins Member Posts: 4
    Balance between content and price.
    1. Enough power for easy highway merges and handling a full load of passengers
    2. Smooth driving dynamics; solid feel to car
    3. Sleek/current exterior
    4. Full complement of current high tech (IPod adaptor, Bluetooth, AUX, XM radio, touchscreen audio interface, CD changer, wheel mounted audio controls)
    5. Full complement of current safety features (front/side airbags, ABS, stability control, impact beams, blinkers on side mirrors)
    6. Comfortable seats and interior— Interior pleasant to look at (I don’t touch my dashboard except when wiping dust off)
    7. Great dimensions: Overall length a little shorter than Audi A4 even though more rear legroom than Honda Accord/ Acura MDX
    8. Sliding sunroof
    9. Fake leather interior—looks like leather, more durable v. spills than cloth
    10. Big trunk
    11. Automatic transmission
    12. Power windows
    13. Remote keyless entry
    14. Included warranties same as Honda/Toyota/Nissan
    15. ALL of the above for just over $21k (including delivery)

Why are we harping on the de-contented base version? I didn't consider it for 2 seconds. Does the SE have everything I would like? Nope. (Automatic headlights would be good.) Is the interior as nice as other VWs? Probably not, as I sat in a few at the dealer when I was buying the Jetta. But the total package, for this price, in this economy, is compelling.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Congratulations! Please keep us posted as the miles accumulate!
    Is the interior of the base model the same as the SE?

(Just curious, I am not interested in buying any version)

I sat in an SE briefly, while we were at the dealer looking at a Golf for my kid and it did not look bad to me. But, I'm not one to notice details right away. The only car where I had immediately seen/felt it as cheap was a Sebring a couple years ago and I was expecting that kind of experience from this new Jetta, but it didn't happen.
    I did not sit inside the base version, but it doesn't have the same audio/tech features, so it probably looks a bit different.
    Yes!! You made really good points. You get a lot for the money! It is a nice car!!
    Is it different from what we would expect from a VW? Yes, a little. But, then again all brands have changed now days.They all have gotten and older look and have sacrificed something. Even Honda! Company's are being affected by the economy. But, it is how they handle it. I think VW has handled it quite well. We knew all along that the Jetta would grow up a bit and focus on a more wide market.

I am looking very closely at an SEL model. It offers a great deal for the money! Loaded for about $25k. Not bad. Try getting these features in an Accord. I could get the SE, but I don't like the smaller wheels. Push button start does not matter to me. Also, I will miss my Remote start on my current lease. Auto lights are really nice too, too bad that would be missing for me! Even the corrolla I rented had this!!

It drove very similar to our 08 Jetta SE. A nice strong engine. I wish my salesmen would have let me take it out by myself! I would have taken it out, went to a parking lot and really looked over everything.
  • jprescott1jprescott1 Member Posts: 29
    puffins,
    Not many here have pulled the trigger as I am about to do. Did they go under MSRP for you and if so , how much. I'm not ready to make an offer until I feel the market.

JP
    MSRP was around $22.6k. Via email, a few dealers were willing to go to just below $22k, and then a couple were at the $21.2k range (including delivery), which was the breaking point I found.
    I still haven't seen any others on the road, but I needed new wheels as my other car had become completely unreliable. So, I may not have hit absolute rock bottom, but multiple dealers told me to take the $21.2k deal, for whatever that's worth.
    Very happy after a week of commuting, but time will tell.
    It doesn't look like there is a lot of "wiggle room" on the sticker price. It's not that uncommon when the manufacturer comes out of the gate priced competitively.

Can others chime in on the reliability of the 2.5 ? I am in sales and drive 125 to 150 miles a day and am looking at the Jetta. A bought a new '07 Accord in January of '08 and it has been trouble free and now has 85,000 miles on it. As a matter of fact, it's turning out to be one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Be real....should I consider the Jetta? (SE w/Conv. pkg. minus the sunroof).

Thanks!
  • isellem007isellem007 Member Posts: 1
    Regardless of what puffins says, you cannot buy a 2011 Jetta SE Auto w/Conv & Snrf for $21.2k. The net cost for the dealer on this specific car is $21,311 and when you consider that there are still '10 models left, they are not ready just yet to lose money selling a '11 vehicle which has only been out a couple of weeks. Get Real!
    edited October 2010
    I don't think anyone really knows the true dealer cost, except the owner of the dealership.

But I don't see that puffin mentioned an automatic. If it was a manual, then I can get $20,840-$21,140 from truecar or overstock in about 30 seconds. They'd add their "service/document fee" to that, but I happen to know the one who is quoted at $21,140 adds only $89...so that'd be right at $21.2K.
    I'm confused on Edmunds and some other places I see a base Jetta at MSRP of $14,995 and they also list a Jetta S at $15,995. But at vw.com the cheapest version they show is the S at $15,995. I also thought on the TV ads they were showing a price of $14,995, but I could be mistaken.

I'm just curious about this apparent discrepancy, no interest in buying one or anything...
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    along with the 2011 jetta's new lower price also comes with less standard features that were found on previous years jetta's such as 4-wheel disk brakes and 170hp engine which is only standard now on the top of the line model jetta's.....
    Either way it looks like we could cut a few hundred off MSRP and feel better about ourselves. Paying MSRP is too nauseating for me.
    edited October 2010
    Let's be real here. Invoice IS NOT INVOICE. Only the dealer knows the true cost of the car.

For example - invoice $20,000.00
    2% Factory Holdback 400.00
    $19,600.00 True Cost I could buy the car for $19,800.00 and still have the dealer make $200.00. This is an example ONLY.

There are also other discounts such as a dealer committing to a large allocation of cars, there would be additional dollars in the deal for the dealer. In addition, The dealer (in theory) could sell a car BELOW COST but arrange the financing and make several "points" on the loan. Etc., etc.

isell-nothing personal intended here, but from what you have stated, I feel you are really have a lack of understanding on what dealers will and can do depending on the market they are selling to. There is a ruthless competitive nature of a market like Southern California where I reside. There are crazy deals out there for almost every make depending on how desperate any given dealer is.
    It was an automatic and it was $21.2k delivery included.
    Not sure what get real means, I'm not saying that this is what the market is, just that those were the details of my purchase. I do think some of the dealers I was in contact with thought I was bluffing, but I did have this offer from two different dealers.
    I did not mention in my last post that the " get real" comment indicates anger issues or a personality prob that is embarrassing but to move on to the topic, dealers need to get these on the road and make a new customer. I am already a good deal below MSRP without a struggle. "Get real" and go have a talk with your dealer and they will budge.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I cannot comment on the 2011, but I have a 2009 Jetta SE, a 2007 Jetta SE, and a 2008 New Beetle Convertible, all with automatic transmission and the 2.5 5 cylinder engine. All three have been great, with no engine or transmission issues. The 2.5 is peppy, but still gets good gas mileage. I am also a salesman and drive quite a bit on the freeways. The VW's all have exceptional seats and ride. I can drive 3-4 hours easily without having to stop and stretch my back and legs. I had two Toyota Camrys which while reliable were about the worst highway cars you could imagine.

The Jetta's 6 speed Tiptronic automatic is smooth, and does not jerk around when downshifting, such as on a long hill on the freeway.

Buy the Jetta - you won't be disappointed.

Bel Air Car Guy.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    edited October 2010
    I sat in the SE today. I agree, it reminds me of the sharky Mitsubishi Galant, a little of the 2000 Honda Accord headlight up front and the Audi A4 in the back.

The interior with its hard plastic did remind me of my old 1994 BMW 325is. Nothing bad and I just take it as German design.

I actually like this design and this would be my first VW if I buy but reading about the maintenance cost is a little discouraging. Is it really that high? :cry:

My current car is a '07 Honda Fit that just hums along $29 oil change after oil change and its now over 114k miles. Is the VW ownership experience drastically different?
    Bel Air Car Guy,
    Thanks!
    How many miles on the Jetta(s) do you have?

BTW-I really don't see the "big deal" with the hard plastics. As long as it is not what you rest your arm on, who cares?
    edited October 2010
    You do get three years of free maintenance on VWs.

Surely in 115K mi, you have done more than oil changes? Edmunds estimates $378 for the 60K mi maintenance on a Honda Fit; http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/select.html

On our 2005.5, if you follow the VW schedule it does not seem all that different from my 2007 Mazda. The significant additional items that come to mind are brake fluid changes are specified by VW and not Mazda and VW specifies spark plug change at 4 years 40,000 miles...but after warranty, I'd do these things (or not) on the same schedule for any car, no matter what the maintenance schedule says.

The biggest difference seems to be that VW has long lists of items to inspect and check. I don't know if these things are critical, I had them done at 20K mi and 40K mi, in case they might identify possible warranty problems. But I finagled my way into getting them done free or nearly free, rather than as part of the dealer's over-priced packages. On a new one, the 20K should be free and at 40K all you would have is a power train warranty.

Now that we are out of warranty, I also don't plan to pay for dealer maintenance packages and will instead order maintenance "ala-cart". I'll actually probably go to an independent mechanic, who I trust to point out any problems that he sees when the car is in for routine maintenance.

If I was one who went to the dealer and said "do the X mile maintenance", I think the main difference would be that the 20K mi VW package would cost about what the 30K mi Mazda package does and the 40K VW would be like the 60K Mazda. So if you do things that way, VW would definitely cost more...after the first 3 years.

VW does require synthetic oil, so changes are more expensive, but required less frequently.
    Thinking about the cost of potential ownership as well before I buy a Jetta. My '07 Honda Accord has had two brake jobs, both front and rear, several transmission "drain and fills". And of course oil changes done at the local "Speedy Lube". The brake jobs and transmission services I have performed myself. "Over the counter" parts are plentiful for this car.

The car has 85K on it. It appears that is a little hard on brakes.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    My 2007 Jetta Se has 52,000 miles. The 2009 Jetta SE has 29,500 miles. Interestingly enough, the 2007 drives just as good as the 2009. Steering and suspension are still tight, no body rattles etc. Usually a car will loosen up over time, and the suspension becomes mushy, steering sloppy etc. Not so with the Jetta.

I also agree with the hard plastic not being a problem, unless it is an area you rest your arm or touch constantly. All cars use some hard plastic. Go look at a Toyota if you want to see cheap hard plastic!

Good luck with the Jetta.

Bel Air Car Guy.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    edited October 2010
    Surely in 115K mi, you have done more than oil changes? Edmunds estimates $378 for the 60K mi maintenance on a Honda Fit; http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/select.html

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep that in mind on my next purchase. I actually do ala cart as well as the packaged service items are definitely just profit makers for the dealer. Regarding my Fit, all oil changes until the 100k mile tuneup schedule for the major maintenance items (radiator fluid at 101k, preventively changed the orig front brakes at 104k, battery at 107k and the orig spark plugs at 113k). Our dealer actually is nice enough to tell me what I don't need like my belt which I was worried about but the service tech said its not even near an issue. Maybe sometimes driving a lot is better for the car? :P I do want to avoid the surge of maintenance costs after warranty so I'd like to trade the car in and the new Jetta is what caught my eye. :blush:
    Much of those big "checkups" are inspect this, inspect that, and are totally unneeded.

At 60K the big "dollar amount item" is that most cars call for a transmission fluid exchange. That's about $100.00 to $200.00 depending on the car. The other $200.00 to $300.00 of the checkup dollars is paying a tech to look at your exhaust system and saying -"Yep! no holes have been punched in it!".

Total Ripoff! You can bet any place that changes your oil always keeps an eye out for things they can possibly do for you to increase the repair bill.
    I might be pulling the trigger on a new 2011 Jetta SE lease. 15k, Sign and then drive Event.

My dealer might be able to absorb most of the negative equity on my current 08 G6 lease. I apparently could get a decent discount on top of the $500 discount for them being a GM dealer. So I could be looking at nearly nothing to roll into the next deal. Exciting!

I am looking at a white SE, with upgraded wheels! Very sharp. This model I want is on a black SE. But, I am not sure I want black. Though it does look very sharp.

I could be looking at $340-390 payment. I am waiting for them to work with GM. Not bad! Considering I am trading in a G6. Even with no discount my negative equity is down to $2,000. Not bad!!

Though, I am wondering if the Jetta SE with the convenience package has navigation??

I have been looking at a Jetta or Camry. I would like the Jetta.

Any advice is appreciated.