Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 lincoln LS v6 coil problems codes = p0353 p0354

jpate88jpate88 Member Posts: 9
edited June 2010 in Lincoln
Let me start out by telling you guy the story on this car. I bought this car really cheap from a friend that owns a pawn shop. The car is a 2005 Lincoln ls v6 with 61k. I took it to ADVANCED AUTO and they told me its the coils or spark plugs then my friend told me that a place told him is was the ECM that is bad. I read a lot on this problem and it seems to be a big thing with ls models. Can anyone tell me where i need to start or what i need to jump right into? I have done nothing to the car all coils are factory and the spark plugs have never been changed im guessing on the plugs but i know for fact the coils have not. PLEASE HELP!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Comments

• jpate88jpate88 Member Posts: 9
    Any help or ideas would help. THANKS =) :lemon:
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Probably the COPS (coils). A good mechanic or dealer can do a load test to confirm.
    Thanks thats what im thinking coils!
    anybody else???? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    My '05 has about 57K and I just had to do 3 coils.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Thats good news im going to replace all 6 coils and 6 spark plugs.
    Yeah I had a miss and you can only get to the driver side coils, the passenger side is hidden by the intake manifold. I replaced the three, figuring 50% of getting the bad one, and the car has ran great since.
    THAT IS ALSO GOOD NEWS IM GOING TO CHANGE THE COILS THIS WEEK I GOT FORD OEM SPARK PLUGS AND COILS FOR 250$ FOR 6. THANKS!!!
  • lincoln05lincoln05 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Lincoln LS owners, I just want all of you to know I took your advice and took my LS into the dealer for complaints about the car not going into 2nd gear smoothly, slow take off, and rough driving! I mention the recall/extended warranty, of course they stated they needed to put it on the machine to see if it was the coil reading bad, and sure enough it was and my car is a V8 and all 6 coils and spark plugs were replaced FREE OF CHARGE! my car runs now like a brand new car and does not use half the gas! I thank all of you for your response, and advice. Being a lady we sometime get taken for ride when we take our cars in for repair. Again thank you, and I hope you all are as blessed as I was with the repairs of your vehicles. Also want to thank Edmunds.com for this forumn where we can gather and share information. God is good to me!
  • slucky7slucky7 Member Posts: 2
    Wait there is a recall on Lincoln Ls's for the coils and if so what coils ford coils parts? :confuse:
    Not a recall - it's an extended warranty on the coils on some 2003 and later models. If you didn't get a letter then you're probably not covered, but the dealer can check.
    I think it was mostly V8 models.
  • cherylsbocherylsbo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Lincoln LS V6 and have had to change #6 coil, #1 coil all of which I did myself. Yesterday on the way home it went in to "limp home mode" so took it to dealership this morning and it is #2 misfire which is under the intake which ='s to 4 hours labor. If you are considering buying a Lincoln LS you better think again, nothing but trouble out of these cars. There is a recall (extended warranty) for 03's and 04 V8's but of course not my V6 (what a joke).
    Might as well do all three while they have the manifold off.
  • cherylsbocherylsbo Member Posts: 2
    Well I had already replaced #1 but I did go ahead and have them replace #2 and #3 and replace all the spark plugs. Total cost $650.00. Now the only ones that haven't been replaced is #4 & 5 and I'm ordering 2 coil packs today and replacing them myself and she should be ready to go. This is my second Lincoln LS, I owned a 01 and now an 04 and I do believe this is my last, can't afford the repair bills.
    If the coil problems straightened out, hopefully you'll have a good running, reliable car for a long time.
  • esalazaresalazar Member Posts: 21
    I too have a 04 Lincoln LS. Your so right about the repair bills. My Lincoln has given me more problems than my 99 ford taurus. I had my taurus since 2001, used to boot. Taurus still runs like a champ. Not long ago I got a speeding ticket in it. Lincoln parts are made of poor quality. Plastic. :mad:
  • justa_pedlrjusta_pedlr Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2011
    I have a 2002 LS V8 that I bought in 2008 with 38K miles. I started getting some bad misfires and a check engine light at around 75K miles so I took it to the shop and had my mechanics do a full tuneup. They said 2 of 8 COPs were bad. That service cost me $270 for the 2 COPS , plus other stuff. I asked them to replace all 8 plugs and did some other small stuff. They told me that the LS has a history of bad COPs so they would probably need to do all 8 eventually. A couple weeks later I got some hesitation when I accelerated. Since I didn't want them doing one COP every month until they got them all I did a little on-line shopping and learned how to replace the COPs. It's really pretty easy once you get the manifold covers off except the rear COPS are held in by some small screws that are real hard to get out. I had to get a box head wrench with a pivot point. Once I had the right tool everything went real well. For $125 ( 8 COPS on-line ) and about 3 hours labor it's all fixed and running real smooth. :)
  • kelley2843kelley2843 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a used 2005 Lincoln LSE that seemed in mint condition I knew it was to good to be true. It started less than a year ago with the 2 and the 4 valve ignition coils went bad so I took advantage of the recall notice but they only changed the ones that were bad. now the 3 and the 7 valve ignition coils are bad less than a year later and now I am over the 100,000 mile extended warranty. I thought they were required to fix all coils on first incident am I wrong about that, because if i am not they refused to do what they were supposed to do the first time. Thermostat problem is that it is staying open and they want charge me 500 dollars just to replace it. which is not a problem I just want to know if there is a simple solution i can try first before spending that much. I would really like to know how i should move forward with the coils should i pay? or are they responsible for not doing it the when the first two coils went out
    It's an extended warranty so they only fix the ones that go bad. Had it been a recall they would have replaced all of them. Bite the bullet and replace the rest now.

$500 sounds way too high to replace a thermostat. Don't remember if it's hard to get to but I'd definitely get a second price. If the thermostat is bad there is no option.
  • ls5ssls5ss Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 LS V6 man 5spd. It was coils 2 one on each bank. I told the Lincoln Dealership to replace them all. Thinking that the ones that was still good would go bad shortly. Almost two years later the problem return I decided to check them my self. The Dealership only replaced the two bad coils but charged me for 6. I know. Did they return my money, is that your question? What do you think! NO! After replacing them all I have no issues. 3years! :mad: :mad: ;) :P
  • brittneylozabrittneyloza Member Posts: 1
    :sick: Hi I own a 2005 Lincoln LS an Im having the same type of issues with my car they replaced one coil on my car an after they fixed it my engine light popped on I dont want to take it back there cause I believe that there avoiding the problem so im wondering were did u go to order those parts online so I can fix it myself so I wont be spending so much money on the dealer
    You can get them cheap on Ebay but they're Chinese coils. Not sure how long they will last. Otherwise search Ford dealers that ship parts online and you should find them cheaper than List price at you're local dealer.
  • jab77jab77 Member Posts: 1
    is there a recall on 2005 ls I have one its shifting hard into second and running slugish a little.
    Yeah i have a Lincoln LSE v8 but the v6 would also have the same problem. They have a report on the coils which extends the warranty on the to 100,000 miles and they will replace only the ones that are bad. But yes the coils are the reason your lincoln is driving slugish. For example my car 4 out of the eight valves wernt even firing. My car would almost die when coming to a complete stop and it would also jerk into second gear hard. You want to change all the coils at the sametime which ran me about 93 dollars a coil.
    Ford wil cover replacing coils on some years, I believe it's V8's only.
  • barker90barker90 Member Posts: 1
    Glad to know I am no the only one having coil issues. I have a 2005 LS V6 that I bought from my dad and when I told him I had to replace the #5 coil, and he said he had to have one replaced a couple of months ago. There was also another code that I'm not sure what is its P0010, anyone know what this is?
  • skstroudskstroud Member Posts: 1
    I have a chance to buy a 2005 Lincoln LS V6. Ive been reading alot. I need some good advice> Should I buy it? or look for something different??? Please help. Thank You
    If you like them and you enjoy good handling with a touch of luxury it's a great value. You may have to spend some money on it - new coils, valve cover gaskets, sway bars, etc.
    Hi, I own a 2005 Lincoln LSE I have had some coil issues and thermastat malfunctions. But other than that it has been a great car. I would have the coils tested before you get it or ask if they have been replaced. Because that seems to be the most reocurring problem that I am seeing
    valve cover gaskets and sway bar bushing problems were pretty much taken care of by '05. I've had my '05 for three and a half years and have replaced three coils, one window regulator and the DCCV (dual climate control valve.)
  • esalazaresalazar Member Posts: 21
    My 04 Lincoln had been sitting in my drive way for a couple of months. All that time I stressed how much it was going to cost me to have it fixed. One day this guy, tells me how easy they are to replace, a woman can do it. Well in that case I checked out the workshop manual I have. Low and behold he was right. I ordered 8 ignition coils, on ebay for $80 w/lifetime warranty. I replaced all 8 in one shot. My car runs like a champ. The only thing my husband helped me with. Under my close supervision of course. Was the last bolt that was hard to get to. Vice grips and the socket made it alot easier to losen. Now I just hope the car runs like that for a long time. Current miles 73,000. :)
    Pretty cool you tackled it yourself. Taking off the intake manifold makes me a little nervous but if I had the time I'd probably do it.
  • deleonjdeleonj Member Posts: 7
    After recieving a quote from Ford/Lincoln claiming that it was going to cost amost $2400 to switch out my coils. (Only 4 were bad) I took it upon myself to look around and get the parts needed so I can fix it myself. After extensive research, I bought all 8 coils for about $100 and all 8 sparkplugs which cost me another 80 and did it myself. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT THAT HARD!!!! The passenger side coils were very easy, It took about 1 hour to do that side. However the driver side was a bit tricky, space is limited and can be very tight. Having the correct tools is VITAL but again (DO YOUR RESEARCH) Drivers side took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. THATS IT!! 4 hours total and now my car is purring like a kitten again. STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALER unless you absolutely have to! They are crooks! Do your research and fix it yourself. I am not Mechanically inclined TRUST ME! But so far I have changed my Window regulator, HCCV and Coils/Sparkplugs. I cant even begin to tell you how much money I have saved. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I will help in anyway that I can. ***STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERS, HIGHWAY ROBBERS!!!***
  • deleonjdeleonj Member Posts: 7
    Good for you! I have on 06 and I did the same thing. For that last bolt you are referring to, it was on the drivers side right underneath the steering column wasnt it?! LOL! I thought of using the Vice Grip but instead used a 9/16 which was small enough to loosen the bolt and then once it was loosend I used my hand to do the rest. I switched out all 8 coils and Sparkplugs too. Car is running like a champ. No more stalling!