Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Front doors on my town car do not stay open

joexray10joexray10 Member Posts: 2
I have a 98 Town car. Lately both front doors will not stay open while getting into or out of the vehicle. There appears to be a rubber? wedge that should help the door stay open. It seems worn. Can I add another wedge or something to help it without causing damage. The door does not sag not do I have any other problems with it. Help me please
Joexray

Comments

• gjksrgjksr Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 town car - the front door won't stay open on a slight hill. is ther a fix?
  • joexray10joexray10 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this will help you but I had a small plastic shim that I had used to install the front door in my house and I wedged that into the bottom hinge and it seems to help. I just don't know if it will create another problem in the future
    joexray :confuse:
  • vanzeenithvanzeenith Member Posts: 1
    It appears that all the Crown Vics / Lincoln Town / Mercury Grand Marquis had the same cheap hinge design for maybe ten years and longer.
    The hinge never had a very positive or strong detent ,in the two open positions.
    I had a spare Kenmore vacum sweeper cog belt laying around and folded it cog-to-cog,then one additional layer..gives 3 layers and around total 1/4" thick .
    Insert in the space just above the rubber compression piece ...cogs facing east and west [belt flats width facing left-right]
    Maybe a second one just below,the same original rubber compression piece may be needed later.
    BTW I also noted that a Maytag pump belt for my washer also measures 1/4" thick, and may work too