Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, rb, good to hear from you.

Thelma goes into the shop Monday to get her top repainted. I am going to have a hard time parting with her for a couple days. They will give me a loaner car to drive, but I will miss my little girl.

The touch up with the black marker looks so good that I would almost consider not getting the top repainted. I'm afraid that the place would get bigger, though, or that new places would start showing up, so I'll go ahead and take her in.

Yes, rb, I have asked the dealer what his best price would be on a factory soft top, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. There's no rush, cause it will be a while before top down weather.

Thanks for you interest.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • gpoole91gpoole91 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me decide if options are worth paying for on a new 2001 Jeep. I am debating on whether to go with just plain standard package and purchase the accessory items through an after purchase company or buy them upfront ie carpet, lighting, spare tire cover, radio, steps, etc..
    Please help me make my mind up - first time Jeep purchase.
    In addition any advice between 4cl and 6cl? Most of travel will be on road not off road short distance from home to work.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Most people say the 4.0 is the way to go - much quieter. You don't seem to save a lot of $ on aftermarket parts - if you can wait, it's probably best to order the vehicle as you'd like it (IMHO). This is a SWB vehicle, so if you drive in snow, you probably want ABS. This requires the 4.0, which includes a lot of the stuff you mentioned.
    Anybody know where to look at photos of the concept "Willys", similar to the Dakar being shown last year? I didn't make it to the auto show. Thanks.
  • maestro4maestro4 Member Posts: 5
    gpoole91 - I recently ordered a TJ sport (sidenote: ordered on 2/3, DC says it will ship on 3/7 - I'm getting jerky waiting for it now) and whether or not to go with the factory install depends on what options you want.

From what I found - the factory dual top group ($1560) seems generally cheaper than ordering a hard top and full doors after purchase ($1500 - $1700 for the tops I looked at). Also, I got the 30 inch tire and wheel group ($850). It seemed easier and cheaper than getting the axle, tires, and rims myself (though if you want to spend a little more there are definately better tires and rims out there).
    As far as side steps, go aftermarket ($120 - $180), the factory ones are garbage. If you are thinking about the fogs and tow hooks package you might want to consider aftermarket too. You can get better hooks for $10 a piece and better set of fogs for under $100 (the factory package costs $180).

Hope this helps out....
  • rwh3864rwh3864 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a '91 Wrangler, 5-sp., 6 cyl., for 1 yr. I replaced the shocks with Gabriel LST's. Would the Explorer Stage 2 Leaf-to-coil Susp. Conv. with 6" Lift for YJ's (JC Whitney) "dramatically improve" the ride & handling on hiway & offroad for only $1465.95? Would it be like a coil spring TJ? Is there hope for my YJ?
    Rusty
    If you are strictly going to be driving around town and offroad, then the 4 cylinder might be just fine.

If you are going to be doing any highway driving, then you ought to get the Sport with the 4.0 L I-six.

Everyone seems to say that there is virtually no difference in gas mileage between the two engines, so it comes down to the initial purchase price. To me, it is well worth the extra bucks to have the 4.0 L engine. I do a lot of highway driving, though.

The 4 cylinder just doesn't have enough power for the highway. It won't pull a hill and maintain speed, and against a head wind, you will have to keep the gas petal on the floor.

I am getting 18 MPG with my Sport, driving 60 to 65 MPH and doing almost all highway driving.

tsjay

It seems that Thelma Jane has finally reached her peak on gas mileage, and I wonder if that indicates that the break-in period is over?

The last four tanks have checked out at 17.8, 18.0, 17.9, and 19.0 MPG. I am very happy with this gas mileage. She has 4235 miles on her now.

I am going to put her on Mobil 1 at 5000 miles, so we'll see if this does anything for her gas mileage. I am expecting to see about 1 mile per gallon improvement in gas mileage with the Mobil 1, based on my experience with it. I won't be disappointed if there is no increase: I still believe Mobil 1 is good for the engine.

tsjay

• mstanmstan Member Posts: 15
    I'm entertaining purchasing a used 2000 Sahara with 11,000 miles. Dealer said it wasn't a program car, but was used by a Chrsyler exec. The dealer in turn bought it at a special sale. I've never heard of this type of vehicle program. Anyone else? The dealer wants $21,800. I've never had A jeep, but always wanted one. I'm 43 and my wife tells me its a mid life crisis thing. Any help in steering me toward this jeep (or away) would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    Do not get the 4 banger with an automatic. I've heard that it is way underpowered. If it is just a town car, you may not notice it, but even in town you need a little performance.
  • thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    I think I would buy new, even if you cant get the deals offered at http://www.meltonsales.com/.

It really depends on how long you intend to keep it, and the options on the Sahara (dual top, ABS, 30", cruise, etc.). Is it a "stripper" Sahara?

The resale value is too high to buy used on such a late model, IMHO.

I had a 97 that I paid 21k for, and sold it a few months back for 16K or so, after 30k miles and 3.5 years. I am buying another this summer, because I miss it too much.

BTW, I'm 39, and maybe I am going through a mis-life crisis too, but so what. If you have a garage, and you get one with a hard top, get a garage lift - you can take it off and put in on in about 10 minutes (or less if you get quick release clamps), about the same as dealing with the soft tops from what I understand. Around town, they are a blast!

I bought my first ever Wrangler at the ripe old age of 51. I got her on December 8,2000. I have NO regrets, and I am having a ball driving her!

Check out her web site.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

I include my buying experience in this web page, and you might find some of the info useful.

Wranlgers are selling at invoice now, and there is a $500 rebate. So, you can effectively buy a brand new Jeep at $500 below invoice, considering the rebate.

I think that you could buy a brand new Sahara for within $1000 to $2000 of the price they are asking in that used one. Is it worth the difference to go with the used one? Your call on that.

You would do well to go back over the last couple hundred posts in here to get a feel for what people are paying for their Jeeps now.

tsjay

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    With my previous Jeep, it seemed as though the engine was still "tight" even after 4000, and if memory serves me correctly, it was between 5k and 10k that my mileage improved. Although I did not check it regulary, seemed like it was over 4000 before my mileage on the highway hit your mark. I got 14-17 at first, then 15-19 later - probably 7k - 8k, though. Maybe I just had a tight one.

Anyway, Mobil 1 is probably a good idea, although I've never used it myself because I get worried about dirty oil on longer intervals. How often do you plan on changing your oil? and, have you used Amsoil?
    Thanks for your post. It would be nice to think that Thelma may still be improving on her gas mileage, even though I am very pleased with her current gas mileage.

I plan on going 5000 miles between oil changes with the Mobil 1. I do almost entirely highway type driving with very few short trips. My commute to work is 27 miles one way on mostly four lane limited access parkways. Under these conditions, changing oil every 5000 with a full synthetic oil is probably over-kill, but I won't go any further than that.

I have never tried the Amsoil, but I have heard good things about it.

tsjay

• hosstjhosstj Member Posts: 28
    Hey everyone made it S.A. (250 miles) in 6 hrs. This would have killed me in any other vehichle. I kept it 50 or under for 1st 100 miles, kicked it to 60 and various speeds, for the rest of trip. I am having a blast drivin Hoss. 13.7 miles per gallon on 1st tank. Not complaining, some stop and go , and the motor seems very tight. The lift and tire,wheel combo seem to ride better than factory. Maybe its just me wanting it to. Ran into some rain tires (Mickey Thompson) did very good traction wise,the vehicle seemed very stable cornering and stopping. Hell I aint been able to wipe the smile off my face for 10 hrs. now

The soft top is excellent w/ no wind flap at all so far, also wind noise is very low as well, even when being passed by large trucks.

I do have 2 questions for anyone.

Is 210 normal operating temp ?(not using a.c.)

Does anyones radio antenna shake so bad looking like it will fall off any moment? I have looked at it, its tight so nothig to worry about Im sure, just bugs the fire outta me.

tsjay,hey i know youre going to miss your girl while she is in the shop, but it will only make you grow fonder! Your were right about the jeep slowing you down, during this breakin I havent exceeded 62 yet and it hasnt mattered a bit. Once you get there you have no where to go.

Sahara 2000 if your still around,I ordered my 2001 Sahara for 100 over invoice 22150 if your looking at soft tops 2001 are better than previous year models. They are so much quieter.

Sorry so long Im so excited I could go on for days.

Hoss gets a big hug today!!
    Ain't it the truth? Jeeps are so much fun to drive! I haven't had the top off, I haven't been offroad, and I haven't even had any real snow to play in, but just going the places that I normally go is much more fun in my Thelma Jane!

As far as break-in, I didn't worry too much about how fast I drove, but I didn't hold any high speeds for very long. I actually made it a point to get her up to 75 MPH for short times after she had a couple hundred miles on her. Everybody has their own theory about the best way to break in an engine.

Thelma likes to run at 210 degrees when she is fully warmed up.

I haven't noticed the antenna shaking, but it might be just as bad as yours- I just haven't paid attention.

Have fun and get some pics posted ASAP!

tsjay

Glad you hugged your Jeep today!
    I hope everyone is planning to participate in the Wrangler IV chat this coming Thursday night.

It's from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM PACIFIC TIME. (Be sure and correct for your own time zone.)

tsjay
    How about an update on the leak problem? Any other problems show up?

Are you happy with your Jeep now?

tsjay

• mstanmstan Member Posts: 15
    Tsaj and thedude1, Thanks for your input. This Sahara I'm looking at is loaded with all the options. I guess that's what intriques me about the price. They're also giving me a pretty good value on my trade (as opposed to other dealers I've been to).
    You didn't mention a trade-in in your original post, and I should have asked about that when I responded.

Wouldn't it be nice to just go buy a new or used vehicle outright, without a trade-in?

It is just as important, obviously, to get the maximum amount on your trade-in as it is to get the lowest possible price on the new vehicle.

Just be aware that it is a BIG TIME buyers market on new Wranglers, and dealers are inclined to not only sell the new unit at invoice or lower, but also to give good trade-in allowances. I bought Thelma Jane at $200 over invoice and at the same time was given $1000 MORE than average trade-in on the Grand Prix GT.

It is very important to SHOP AROUND. If you read Thelma's web page, you saw that there was $3400 difference between my best deal and the worst deal that I was offered (on the same new vehicle and the same trade-in vehicle: apples to apples comparison).

You have to be reasonable in your expectations, though. The dealer isn't making squat on the new Jeep, so he has to make a profit on reselling your trade-in. I have no problem with the dealer making a good profit, as long as I am not being taken unfair advantage of. The dealer takes a risk in buying your vehicle, and risk should be rewarded. I advertised my Grand Prix for two weeks in the local paper for $18,975. I had ONE serious call, and the gal couldn't get financing.

They allowed me $17,000 trade-in and then put the Grand Prix on their lot for $21,900. If I thought they actually got the asking price of $21,900, I would be happy for them. I was satified with the trade-in allowance of $17,000, and whatever profit they made, good for them. Crap, I tried for two weeks to sell the Grand Prix for $3000 less than they ended up asking for it, and I had only the one serious call. If they can sell it and get $21,900, then that's great.

So, mstan, I just think you ought to check out several dealers on a new Jeep before you buy the Sahara with 11K miles on it. That could turn out to be your best deal, but if you don't check around, you'll always wonder if you did the right thing.

tsjay
    Tomorrow is the day that my baby girl goes in the shop to have her hard top repainted. It is going to be awfully hard on me to give her up for a couple days!

I wish the weather was good enough to go topless and I could just leave her top at the shop and keep driving her. They said that they would take the top off anyway.

Oh, well, I guess Thelma and I will survive.

tsjay

• rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    I test drow A 2001 Sahara(30" wheels) and noticed the top flapping at 65. Is that normal? I did not check, but I think the latch was not secure. I then tested a sport(Standard wheels), and took the car up to 60 and it was very quiet. What is the deal, Does the top flap at all, and do the tires make a different? I just want to make sure the dealer does not try to stick me with an old top, On a new car, [I don't think that is possible though]. 13th is ship day for me, I hope they can ship it out even when the factory is down.
    Anyone Now if I can get a white hard top for a 2001 Wrangler, saw it available on the 1999, looked cool. No catalogs have it, Soft tops are good for the next few years.

Goood Jeep'n
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    He tsjay, I have noticed you really seem to enjoy your jeep, and I think that is great. What I was wondering is what lead you to wanting a wrangler? I know from your past posts you have had a Grand Cherokee and then a pontiac. The reason I ask is I have always wanted a wrangler, and finally just bought one a month ago, but I also have a Grand Cherokee. So I use the Grand Cherokee to drive to work and the wrangler for fun. The reason I had never bought wrangler up to this point was because I was told by several people you don't want one as your only vehicle if you drive alot. So in 1999 I bought a grand Cherokee limited ,and I traded in a 1997 grand Cherokee on that. So after two years of having the 99 I thought this would be a great time to buy a wrangler, so I did. I have to say after now having the wrangler I would not mind at all driving it every day, But I like the grand Cherokee too so I will keep it as well. So I was wondering what led you to get rid of your grand cherokee so soon, and why go with the pontiac?
  • hosstjhosstj Member Posts: 28
    I just got my 2001 Sahara soft top only, drove to San Antonio and back 250 miles one way. The top was very quiet and no flapping at all. Coming back speeds ranged from 60 to 75 and a head wind of about 20 outta the north.

Gas mileage for the trip averaged a whopping 13.9 mpg! Still casnt get the smile off my face. Dang it was hard getting into that company Ford this morning and leaving hoss in the garage. Im sure I will have to go to town for something.

Gotta run and start ordering some toys for Hoss
    Later
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    Looks like we lost some of our posts, so I'll pose this one again.
    Anybody know where to go to see pictures or particulars on the Jeep Willys shown at the Chicago Auto Show? It may have been an update of the Dakar from previous years. Thanks!
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    TS -

The leak seems to be an intermittent problem now. Sometimes it leaks a little, sometimes it doesn't leak at all. We'll see what happens after driving in this 2 day nor'easter.

Just got back from a business trip to Mesa, AZ. You guys out there have some great looking trails to ride on. Wish I had my jeep with me this week.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    gpoole91
    I would get the 6 if you can afford it. Off-road both are fine. You need the 6 for highway driving. For accessory items I don't think you save much. I would get it from the dealer if it is the kind you want. If you don't like their steps then get them aftermarket.

rwh3864
    Good question. I would think the on road ride would improve a good deal and depending on how you are setup now the off-road may or may not. Leaf springs can be just as good or better off-road.
    Try this website for some good info. You should be able to find someone that has done one.
    www.jeepsunlimited.com
    Go to forums and then wrangler
    Good luck

mstan
    I would look at new one like some others have mentioned. There is a $500 dollar rebate and you should have no problem getting it for several hundred under invoice.
    Tell your wife she is right. It is a mid-life crisis thing. Buying a Jeep will take care of the problem. :)
    Is this Jeep going to be your daily driver? How do you plan on using the Jeep? Long commutes or occasional off-roading?
    A Jeep does not get good gas mileage, rides rough and in a lot of ways is different from a car.
    Take it on a long test drive to get a good feel for one.

rs1157
    The soft tops can flap like crazy if there is enough wind. I have an 00 so I don't know much about the 01. I am sure it can make a lot of noise in the right situation. Tires should make no difference as far noise with the top, if that is what you meant.

hotx3
    Are you looking for a write up or just a pic?
    Here is a pic
    http://carpoint.msn.com/autoshow2001/default.asp?content=photos
    I am having no problem at all having Thelma Jane as my only vehicle. I was worried about that too before I bought her, and I even took a poll in this message board. I asked the Jeep owners in here if they thought a Wrangler would be OK as someone's only vehicle, and seven out of eight responses were in favor of the Jeep as the only vehicle.

The fun factor by far outweighs the negatives. I gave up gas mielage, great acceleration, smooth ride, leather seats, good looks, and plenty of room in going from the Grand Prix GT to the Wrangler. I don't miss those things at all, because I am having so much fun driving that Jeep!

I got rid of the '99 GCL because I decided that I really didn't need an SUV, and back when I traded it in, the gas prices had just gone crazy. I decided that it was time to just go back to a regular car again. The GP GT was a fantastic car! It never once went back to the dealer for any kind of problem in the almost 20K miles that I put on it. It had extremely good acceleration, and I thought it was a beautiful car.

I just got hit with the Wrangler bug not long after buying the GP. I saw a white one just like Thelma during this past summer and fell in love. It was at a dealership that I passed twice a week on my way to and from Illinois. I stopped and drooled almost every trip up there and every trip back.

I could think of nothing else but getting a Jeep after that.

That's the story, my friend. I am notorious for trading cars often, but I really think it will be different now. I have never had another vehicle that has been so much fun. I think this is the one I've been looking for!

tsjay

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Good morning all. I am looking to purchase a 2001 Wrangler in the next few weeks. I can buy from any location in the US. The best price I've been quoted so far is $300 over dealer invoice, including destination charge ($585), and dealer association fees ($125 + $210), and then subtracting the $500 rebate. If your dealer was able to beat this price, please let me know so I can contact them.

2001 Steel Blue, Soft top, "D" Package
    ABS, Trac Loc, Tint, AC, Full Doors, Tow Hooks, Sentry Key, 5 Speakers, Side Steps, Add-a-trunk

Thanks

Madman390
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    We paid invoice for our Jeep that is on order. We had the same ad fees you mentioned ($335 total) plus the dealer has a processing charge of $300 odd dollars. We are in Atlanta and dealt with Marietta Jeep just north of town.

If you are dead set on lowest price without regard to location, etc., try www.jeepwarehouse.com. It looks like they are doing $100 under invoice, $300 in ad fees, plus $149 in processing fees. You can build and price on their site. Assuming the number you mentioned, you'd be looking at saving $285 by going with jeepwarehouse. You didn't mention any processing fee, so I'm assuming it's 0 for your dealer (hence the $300 over invoice number). It's just a matter of where the money is...

The jeepwarehouse price was a few hundred dollars less than we will pay, but I want to be able to drive it back to the dealership that made the sale in case we have any serious issues.

Depending on the number of dealers in your area, you may be able to print out the jeepwarehouse price and walk it from dealer to dealer seeing how close they will come to doing the deal.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Status update - currently D-1, gateline. Hopefully well get built and released this week.

-twylie
  • maestro4maestro4 Member Posts: 5
    Madman390 - A little shopping and you should be able to do better than $300 over invoice. I paid invoice for my TJ Sport (and then got the $500 rebate on top of that). There have been a few posts from people that got TJ's for below invoice.
    One place you may want to check out is Savage Jeep in Reading, PA. Just do an internet search and you'll find their web site. They claim to have "the lowest price in the country" due to the volume they deal with. Also, they'll either ship to anywhere in the county or fly you PA to drive the Jeep home (free of charge). I tried calling them, left a couple messages, but it took them over a week to call me back. I didn't like the service, but if you get a good rep it might me worth it.
    Have you tried autobytel.com? I think the response (and usefullness) there depends where you live, but I was happy with the dealers that called in response to that. They replyed the next day with competetive prices. Unfortunately I tried that avenue a little late in my shopping, and had everything set up with the dealer I used so I decided to stay with him.....
    Remember that there is a $575 withhold that DC pays the dealer when the Jeep is sold. You gotta expect the dealer to make something, but it can be used to negotiate.....

-my TJ ships out tomorrow. It can't take that long to go from Toledo to Buffalo, right? I don't have name yet.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Try this www.meltonsales.com

Haven't used them myself, but plan to.
  • sweetsammiesweetsammie Member Posts: 1
    Beep Beep I love my jeep. Sorry that was cheesy. I love my jeep but it has been broken into 2 times already. There is no way I am going to get a different car so I'm looking for a hard top. If anyone can give me information on them, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeep lovers. Please write
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    It may have been cheesy but I liked it! Anyway, a friend of mine is selling his hardtop....it's black and is coming off a '93 YJ...I don't know if that meets your needs or not, but if you're interested, let me know.....

In the meantime, an update for everyone else....for whatever reason, I'm still stuck in "D" status and DC isn' sure I'll make the line this week....it's killing me!!!!!!!!!! The factory will shut down again for the next two weeks so if I don't make it before Friday, I'm doomed to wait another month......aaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me out there!!!!
  • jeepcrewznjeepcrewzn Member Posts: 8
    tjy -

I'm stuck in D status too! I'm afraid it's not looking good for this week.

Just out of curiousity, what is your understanding on how the $500 rebate will be handled if delivery is after April 3 (and assuming that DC doesn't extend the rebate period)? I'm also wondering about the no/charge for the auto transmission........

Also, any '01 Wrangler owners purchased a locking gas cap? I've heard that the '01's require a different cap than earlier models. True?Recommendations?

Enjoy, it's a top down day!

jeepcrewzn
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    locking gas cap is different for 2001 TJ's but is only $15 so when mine comes in....if it ever comes in....I'm going to get one....my dealer already has them in stock.

The rebate should have already been applied, mine was taken right off the top, before taxes were applied so regardless of when my TJ comes in, I've already locked in the rebate....when you order is when you get the rebate, not when you take delivery....it should work that way for everyone who orders while the rebate is still in effect.

I ordered a 5spd so I don't know about the no charge auto at all but I would assume the same thing....if they were offering that when you ordered you're all set no matter when it comes in.......
    They had originally told me at the body shop that I wouldn't get Thelma back until Wednesday, but they had her ready before noon today. I was in an all day meeting and couldn't go get her until after work.

The paint job on her top looks great, but only time will tell if it holds up or not.

I was very disappointed with the clean up job they did on her interior. As a courtesy, they always clean your vehicle inside and out before you pick it up. They did fine on the outside, but they apparently used Armorall on her door panels and dash, and they smeared the crap out of the surfaces! There are dark areas where the Armorall was applied and light areas where they missed.

I didn't want Armorall or anything like that applied anyway, but they did. I like to just take a damp cloth and wipe down the dash and door panels or maybe use one of those foam interior cleaning products like "Tuff Stuff."

I will have to take her back in the morning and ask them to re-do the interior. Since they used Armorall, I guess they'll have to go over it again with the stuff and get it on evenly this time.

tsjay

• tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Good luck with your order. Thats the same jeep and options i will order (if i get up the guts) except for the full doors. I just dont like the way they look. Did you know you can get the half doors and then order upper door panels with sliding glass windows aftermarket. Quadratec.com has them for $299.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...the first Jeep Wrangler Owners chat will be tomorrow, Thursday, March 8, 6-7pm pt/9-10pm et.

Hope to see you there!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    I have seen those top half door sliding window things. I was thinking about getting those before I went with full doors. I was thinking the 300 bucks was a little steep. I figured on getting the full doors now and buying half ones later. That was before I went doorless. Now I take them off when the top comes off.

Its all a matter of what you like, but I figured I would share my thoughts.

by the way

see here

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/

Later

Alex Y2KTJ

OK this is big news for some. I f you go to www.Jeep.com and you price a wrangler say a 2001 sahara in CANADA fully loaded soft top, it comes to 30,165 CD dollars. Seems like a lot righ, well when you convert to US dollars you get it for 19,500 or so. Sahara!, also if you by it in Canada you get a 5 year warranty instead of 3! You problable do not baleive me. You can see for your self and get the conversion rate Cd dollar to Us dollar at yahoo fianance exchange rate. This is with no haggling also, you probable ca nget one for close to 19,000 clams. Oh ya there is only one difference. Instead of having a Wrangler sticker on the side you have a TJ sticker, which you can change for 10 clams. Maybe going north of the border is the right way to go. Any comments post it.
    Rs1157
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    Any hassle getting it registered back in the states? Is anything different? I am reminded of the New beetle made in Mexico. It can be bought in Mexico and the conversion puts it alot cheaper.
    BUT, you will have a time getting it over here. Getting it registered and all that too. I know the old bugs were still made until last year. You could buy one in Mexico for about 7K. It sounds like a lot, but that is a car that was discontinued in the states in the 70's. Not a bad deal, but the emmissions were different and you could not just drive it across.

Not sure about Canada, but it sounds too good to be true.

Please someone set me straight.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We really need a message board over in Smart Shopper for this question (maybe we have one!). I hear lots of stories as I scan the discussions. Honda apparently doesn't honor Canadian warranties. Nissan apparently doesn't care. Some people say you need to switch out the metric speedo and that will make it impossible, legally, to verify the mileage when you trade it in, adversely affecting resale.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The body shop didn't put Armorall on Thelma's door panels and dash. There was just something on the cloth they used to wipe down the surfaces, and whatever it was came off OK. I took her back this morning and they cleaned the interior again. Everything is OK now.

• saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Hello jeepers...
    hopfully I will be a new jeeper (2001 sahara)
    looking forward to meeting all of you at the chat
    thurs night

see ya
    Terry Birmingham, Alabama
    Can some one tell me when the plant is going to be down and when it is runnig, I heard it is down the whole of july, what about after this week, down for a month? No clue/

RS1157
    When are you getting your Jeep? Are you ordering one or buying from inventory? Give us some more details.

Welcome!

tsjay

hello tsjay
    not sure yet...dealer has the one in staock i want...but..not sure if I will be able to get it anytime soon..getting a black/black dual tops..
    is DANA the way to go or not...I will not be going off-road that much...
    thanx
    terry
    I just read your post in "meet the owners" and I see that you are having trouble convincing the better half that you should get a Wrangler.

Take a look at Thelma's web page, and you can read my poem about my experience in dealing with Momma's reluctance to let me get a Jeep.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

Good Luck!

Mrs. Saharanut, LET THE BOY HAVE SOME FUN! You'll probably end up loving the Jeep too!!!!

tsjay

Great poem...going to go use it on Mrs. saharanut now...thanx
    nice website too...
    I've been shopping around...BIG diffrence between dealers here as well...$2500-$3000

I'll hug my jeep as soon as I get her...