Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

High Pitched Squeal Turning Left & Water Coming Out Under Dash

tfernandes49tfernandes49 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Honda
Hello, I am looking for some help on how to solve a problem with my '04 Honda CR-V. Over the past month or so, I have had water coming out from under my dash (passenger side) whenever I would make a left hand turn. It would go away for a couple of days and then come back.

However, I now have a high pitch squeal happening whenever I turn left as well. It sounds like it's coming from under the dash on the right hand side. If I am going under 5mph, it doesn't happen but if I'm going any faster than that it starts and it only happens when I'm turning left.

Water is also shooting out from under the dash when this noise is going on as well.

Please help!
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kazoo2ukazoo2u Member Posts: 11
    Regarding the water spill: chances are that your evaporator box drain is plugged up. When you park the car, do you notice a puddle on the ground under the passenger side of the engine? If not, your A/C drain is plugged up. All the humidity that your A/C is removing from your cabin is being kept in your evaporator box. With the drain plugged up, the water accumulates until it leaks out of the seams whenever you turn left or right.

Open the hood & check the firewall in front of the passenger side. You should see a little tube extending from the firewall, pointing down. That's the drain. The inside is plugged up, probably with leaf crud. Carefully, using something like a chopstick, poke around inside the drain tube to see if you can dislodge the crud. If that doesn't fix it, you might take it to an A/C shop & see if they can blow some compressed air into the tube to do the same. Worst case scenario is that the evaporator box will have to come out & get manually cleaned up.
  • Options
    Thank you, I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    However, I now have a high pitch squeal happening whenever I turn left as well. It sounds like it's coming from under the dash on the right hand side. If I am going under 5mph, it doesn't happen but if I'm going any faster than that it starts and it only happens when I'm turning left.

Is your CR-V AWD? When was the differential fluid replaced last time?
  • Options
    Thank you to whoever said that it was the drain for the evaportator box! You'll never believe what it was!!!

My husband got under the car to check the drain for the evaporator box and can you believe that there was a socket extension shoved up inside the tube???? Whoever changed my oil last must have been tired of getting dripped on and shoved the extension up there to stop the water and then forgot about it. It must have been there for a while though because it was rusty and a TON of water poured out when he pulled it out.

Who would have thought. I'm going to have him check it now whenever I go for an oil change!!

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    kazoo2ukazoo2u Member Posts: 11
    You're welcome. Glad the advice worked.

If you you still have the extension, take it back to the place & see the manager. He/she might be interested in how his workers perform. My thinking is that if this is the type of work done where you got your last oil change, then other things may/may not be happening. Oil changes can be the life/death of an engine. I've seen & heard of the "quickie" oil change places forgetting other things - like replacing the oil & sending you off with no oil at all, not replacing the drain plug, using transmission fluid instead of motor oil, using the wrong weight oil. driving car into pit, etc. :sick:
This discussion has been closed.