Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda CR-V

Comments

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I have read in a few magazines that the 2012 CR-V all wheel drive system is active from starting out from a stop, for better acceleration/traction and then goes to the "normal" front drive mode once under way(unless added traction is necessary).

In questioning a salesperson, they stated that type of system was only on the Pilot & Ridgeline, maybe they just aren't up on the new CR-V?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I think they just aren't aware of the change. The old CR-V was like that, where the rear wheels only got traction if the front slipped, but they are using a different type of AWD system this year (no idea though if it is exactly the same as teh pilot or ridgeline)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bostonbuffbostonbuff Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted $27,991 for a 2012 Silver CRV EX-L AWD from Prime Honda in West Roxbury, MA.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    MSRP and other 2012 info is up at the official Honda site (turn off your speakers if you don't want to hear the commercial).
    on the showroom floor. an EX-L RES, MSRP of $29,805.

overall, not bad. Nice interior (not sure about seat comfort, but of course that is a personal decision!) And rear visibility is dismal (you could easily back over a miata without even knowing it was there). Good sized cargo hold though.

edited December 2011
    In looking on Honda's website showing the 2012 CR-V specs, features and options for the various trim levels, I noticed that something as simple as automatic on/off headlights is only available on the EX-L models.

I don't understand Honda's thinking as most other auto manufacturers have this feature on all trim levels of their cars & trucks. They have the auto off feature, why not "on" as well? Anyone from Honda want to tell?
  • makasaymakasay Member Posts: 1
    Hondas have always had auto off headlights, it will just beep to tell you you left them on but after 10-15 seconds it will shut off.
  • kjtg1kjtg1 Member Posts: 12
    Does the new CRV have card key and push button start..
  • usedcarrickyusedcarricky Member Posts: 4
    No
    I understand that they have had the auto-off feature, but why not have the auto on/off feature??

Can't cost that much more for that feature.
    Other manufacturers have included that feature for over a decade.
  • jjk58jjk58 Member Posts: 3
    Is there any hope of being able to purchase a 2012 at something less than msrp at this point?
  • doit01doit01 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, you should be able to get below MSRP by by $500-1000 or more, but most, if not all dealers, add some "dealer installed options" that runs the cost up and adds to the dealer's profit by a mcuh as 50% of the cost of the options, or more, things like mud guard, door edging, wheel locks, floor mats,ectra. Now it may take a few months to let the inventor settle in to get this price, but if you have to be the first on the block then pay MSRP and be happy.
  • bsnyder2000bsnyder2000 Member Posts: 3
    Yes. I just bought a 2WD EX-L at $1,500 below invoice. This particular dealer (in Greer, SC) does not add ANY accessories, so I added the roof-rack crossbars myself. So, I guess depending on the dealer, you can get a good price.
  • rojmarojma Member Posts: 9
    Was that a 2012 or 2011? Also did you mean $1500 below invoice or below MSRP? I'm in Charlotte, NC so Greer is not very far for me.
  • bsnyder2000bsnyder2000 Member Posts: 3
    Oops!! I meant $1,500 below sticker. Total price with delivery was $26,302, and the negotiation was easy. Dick Brooks Honda.
  • free888free888 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    So according to the specs, the CRV reads text messages and plays Pandora, but can't open your garage door. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Honda, please get your act together. I use that option on my cars every single day.
  • dan259dan259 Member Posts: 1
    i am planning to take the new 2012 EX L AWD with Navigation, Can you please let me know how much below the MSRP can I expect or ask for?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjedmundmjedmund Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Hello,

I just locked this deal down:
    2012 CRV EX-L AWD with no other options. According to honda MSRP+destionation = $29,105. My price including destination is $27,500. If i'm correct the invoice is like $27,126.

How is this deal? Am I overpaying? I could wait it out and get it below invoice but this car just came out. Let me know.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    We want to keep pricing discussions, all in one place..

If you want to discuss prices or shopping for a 2012 CR-V (or 2011 CR-V), please take it here:

Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Once we get those posts headed that direction, we'll re-open this forum for more general discussion about the new CR-V.

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just wanted to let everyone know that in addition to Blackberrys and some Android phones, reading of SMS messages on the 2012 Honda CRV is supported with Windows Phone 7 (Mango) . When we test drove one we paired it with our LG Quantum and confirmed that it could read incoming SMS text messages. It also played audio from the phone via Bluetooth, including showing song information. Nice!
  • davidgtuttledavidgtuttle Member Posts: 2
    I disagree. I think people want 2wd, even in the northeast. The only problems I ever had with my 2007 CR-V were with the 4wd system. Also, if you look at the Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe you will see that they sell plenty of front wheel drive (note that the Sorento outsold the CR-V a few times in the last year). I live in NJ and I vacation in Vermont for about 4-5 ski weekends every year. I've never had any problems with a FWD car in the snow. I have had problems with cars with tires bad for snow. I would take a FWD with snow tires over any 4wd system with all-season tires. I discussed this topic with a Honda Sales Manager he agreed. 4WD helps you accelerate and only works up to 18mph on the CR-V. In the snow, stopping is the most important thing and 4wd does not help with that at all. I'll take the higher reliability, lower maintenance cost and 2-3% better gas mileage (all totaled there is about a $1000 savings over a 5 year period).
    I would bet that you could take a FWD model and stick an AWD badge on it, and a large percentage of owners (especailly ones in moderate climates) would never know the difference.

• lmps456lmps456 Member Posts: 2
    There seems to be a shortage of CR-Vs in the lower NYC/LI area? Does anyone seem to know when more are due to arrive? I have been trying to get an EXL AWD.
  • indigo1indigo1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know just when the LX models would be available? I can't afford the EX models or the AWD, so am anxious to get a LX FWD model.
    Thanks
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I guess we just have to disagree with each other.

After selling CRV's, Pilots and Passports for nearly 14 years I can tell you that here in the Seattle area where it seldom snows, 2WD CRV's are nearly saleproof. Both as new and used cars. People simply feel they have to have 4WD. We do have a LOT of hills here so that may be part of the reason.

People DO NOT want 2WD cars in my neck of the woods! They sit on our lots forever!

People buy Kias because they want to spend as little money as possible so it makes sense they would sell a lot of 2WD's.

I do agree that the tires will make a HUGE difference. In 2009, our son bought a new Subaru Impreza. He was shocked to find out that it was horrible in the snow until he put a set of Blizzacks on it.

A lot of pople don't realize that 4WD won't allow them to stop one bit faster and they get in trouble as a result.

I don't mind paying a few bucks every couple of years to change the rear diff fluid which is the only "maintenance" they require and I'll take the slight gas mileage hit.

When I finally decide to part with our CRV's ( a 2003 and a 2011), I want a car that someone will actually buy.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This would depend on where you live. In the sunbelt areas, they should be in good supply.

Most of the stores in the northern climates don't order very many since they simply don't sell well at all.
  • nybuyernybuyer Member Posts: 9
    I'm in NYC and two dealerships told me that LX models will not be available till the end of January. One salesman said its because Honda decided last minute to put the rearview camera in all models and so this delayed shipment of the LX.
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    which dealership in Arlington, VA has 2012 CRV LX?
    any availability for the LX models in Northern VA?
  • taotao1taotao1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2012 CRV EX AWD yesterday. However, I do know when the AWD will engage. Based on the menu, if "AWD" light is always on, it meas AWD has problems. If AWD light is blinking, means that AWD system is overheat and you should stop. so how can I know AWD is active and operate normally? BTW, when or how many miles should I do the first oil change?
    Simple as if the light isn't on, then it should be working normally.

If you want to test it out, get on a loose or slippery surface, and from a stop hit the gas. you should "feel" the rear end grabbing too.

• chaoskatechaoskate Member Posts: 5
    I have a new 2012 CR-V EX-L AWD with 1400 miles. According to the trip computer my gas mileage is well below what's expected. Honda advertises 22 city, 30 highway and 25 combined for an AWD. I got 24 on a purely highway trip and am getting 17 combined, and I've been using the economy feature. I have an appointment with the dealer for later this week, but am wondering if anyone has had this problem. Thanks.
  • caffycaffy Member Posts: 5
    Chaoskate, your message really got my attention. My husband and I were preparing to buy a new 2012 CR-V within the next 2-3 weeks and the gas mileage was one of the big selling points for us. I did a little research to see if I could find anyone else with the same complaint and I found this message on another website:

"Just bought a new CRV 2012 about 2 weeks ago. Nice car, however the gas mileage is terrible. 16 mpg in city. This is the same as my Father's 1998 Chevy, 8 cylinder, pickup.

I hear people tell me about breaking in the engine and winter blends. I have a hard time with this since I did not have to beak in my 2011 Camry for good mpg. It was getting about 30 mpg from day one.

As far as winter blends are concern - the Chevy Trruck is using the same kind of gas and is getting 16 mpg. "

This was written about a week ago according to the website: http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/2012-honda-crv-11162011.html

Please keep us updated on the results after you speak to the dealer. Also, I'll be interested in hearing from others. It's definitely a deal killer for us.
    BTW, did you try to calculate your own mpg based on the number of gallons of gas added to vehicle vs. the number of miles driven? I was wondering if it could be a computer calculation issue rather than an actual mpg problem?
    I got 2012 2WD EX last week.
    put almost 400 miles and in city the trip computer shows 27.9 miles / gallon.

I will refill the tank tomorrow and will post more results next week.
    Thanks shyboy! That's encouraging. I'm anxious to hear the results next week.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    My wife just bought a 2012 CR-V EX-L RES. Her first fill-up averaged 27.8 MPG. 50/50 city and highway.
    We have had our 2012 CRV EX-L AWD for about 3 weeks now. Our trip computer is showing around 23mpg in eco mode and almost entirely city driving. I have not manually computed.
    We have yet to use the ECO mode. Just drop it in "D" and go.
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    After about 30,000 miles on the odometer, my wife's 2008 EX-L averages about 24.8 mpg in the summertime and about 23.6 mpg during the winter months here in St. Louis. She primarily drives country and suburban roads with only about 10% highway mileage.
  • putney1putney1 Member Posts: 24
    Hi
    I have 155 miles on my EX AWD CRV 2012-city miles 15 MPG on the computer average around town with ECO more than 1/2 tank gone- I have only used the car for work and back. It got me worried. I took the car to Honda service. I was told it needed a break in period. STORY first oil change, then 10,000 M, then winter gas, then cold, and how I drive ? after all of this I would see better MPG. I don't feel comfortable about this. I also have lots of static on the radio. I called Honda America. Tomorrow someone is coming to look at the car. This is the first time I have had car issues. I have had a loaner car for a week. They can't seem to fix the static. Not sure what to do.
  • benk2benk2 Member Posts: 1
    When will Honda CR-V 2012 LX be available in market?
    I don't know. I have an EX 2012 AWD with some issues.
  • chaoskatechaoskate Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the replies. My appointment is for tomorrow, and I'll keep you posted. So you all know, when I picked up the car I asked about any break-in advice and was told that all I needed to do was refrain from using the cruise control because the car needed to be driven at a variety of speeds. Winter driving shouldn't be an issue given how warm it has been.
    I called Honda last night and was told someone from the Honda factory was testing the car. I would know the results tomorrow. So far everything looked good. That was great, but I know that the radio has so much static you can't listen to any FM station. I have to hear from them today. I will let you know the results. Thanks
    Honda checked out the CR-V and nothing is wrong. Yet there is still a static radio. The service manager agreed that there is lots of static and there is no fix. Now What? MPG they didn't check after a week in service it is on the work order. I will be going down to Honda on Long Island on Monday 13th. I can't get my money back nor can I get the radio fixed. Any ideas? The MPG it is a wait and see after "break in Period" undefined.. Strange I think. What to do? Any thoughts??? I have only have 155 miles on a 2012 leased CR-V EX AWD and disappointed and hassled.
    Thanks for any suggestions to move this forward without giving in to maybe a bad product.
    The radio still has static and there is no fix??? Something doesn't sound right. (no pun intended)
    Correct the Pun doesn't change the situation. All EX CRV"s on this lot sound the same all have the same static issue. There is nothing to be done service said, it is intrinsic to the car- that is what I am told. I can not listen to static. What are my options since I leased the car I can not change anything in the system.
    Thanks
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    Im not sure how true this is, but was told that the static issue is for the ones built in Japan. Thats why Im going for the ones manufactured in North America. VIN for Japan begins with a J, VIN for North America begins with 5