Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda CR-V

vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
edited December 2013 in Honda
Has anyone heard anything about the 2012 Honda CR-V? I know it will be good, my question, will Honda match KIA with their 2011 Sportage which will have a Turbo 2.0 developing 274 HP? It will also have a 6 speed automatic!!

Comments

• motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Most think honda will release a 6 or 7 speed automatic soon. I believe that unlike Hyundai/Kia and most other MFG's, Honda actually designs and builds it's own transmissions, so it may take a little longer to catch-up.

I'd expect displacement to go up to 2.5L and it will make around 200HP with a bump in torque to around 175 ft-lbs.. I don't expect anything earth shattering because they would hurt resale values of older models. How much do you think a used Kia will be worht after they make a complete design change like this? Even a 1 y/o model? Expect mileage to increase to 23/32 and 22/31 for the FWD/AWD respectively.

I wouldn't be suprised if the next drivetrain revision for the larger Honda 4 cylidner includes a hybrid option as well.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    I hope you are correct with a 6 or 7 speed transmission. I know the 2011 Accord and maybe the Pilot with have it. Hope no problems as they did when their 5 speed first came out. A new 6 speed tranny should improve the MPG, hopefully a bit better than the 23/32 you mention. My 07 EX-L gives me about 20/29 now. Wish it gave me the mileage of my FIT!

A hybrid option sounds good but would love to have the DIESEL they were planning a year or so back! That with a 6 speed manual like they have in Europe!

I want to see Honda step it up a bit for the 2012 model due, I'm guessing late summer 2011. That's next year!
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I think the 6 speed would provide a very small improvement in mileage. But it already has a very tall 5th gear. So I expect it will mainly just improve performance. They will need to increase displacement to 2.5L and improve aerodynamics and reduce weight to increase mileage much.

To improve city mileage you mostly need ot reduce weight. For highway, it's aerodynamics, engine tuning and gear ratios.

The Diesel won't happen... nor the manual. Too low volume and too expensive for a significant imrpovment in mileage. But a Hybrid for the same investment will give equl or better performance with increased mileage. Most reviews of the Honda Diesel in the CR-V said that it's noisy although performance is about the same. You'd probably see mileage with a disel around 25/36 I'd guess.

I think hte disel was more of a rumor than an actual plan... and made sense when disel was a lot cheaper than gas and gas was at $4/gallon. until gas prices take off again, you won't see a diesel option.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    Here we go - new launch coming so it's time to start rolling out the teases. Nary a hint in this article or in the link to Honda's official tease page.

The 2012 Honda CR-V is Coming! The 2012 Honda CR-V is Coming!

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Here's a spy shot of the '12 CR-V :

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-honda-cr-v-spy-shot/

Nice to see Honda doesn't have a roof rack on it!

How many people even use a roof rack, make it an option for those who want/need it in my opinion.
    Racks typically hurt mileage so that makes sense. I'd rather stick my Yakima racks on top than use a factory rack anyway.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,694
    Don't think that any generation CR-V has had a roof rack as standard... I wanted one, just didn't want to pay for it... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If they do have a third row, I sure wouldn't want to ride in it!

They make just a few RAV-4's with a next to worthless third row.
    edited July 2011
    Maybe Honda is simply trying to create some buzz?

Spy Photos: 2013 Honda CR-V Caught with Hatch Open, No Third Row (Straightline)

I'm waiting for the "spy shot" of the hood open with the camera operator just happening to be in range while the tester "checks the oil."

Which is it anyway - a 2012 or 2013?

• vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    edited July 2011
    Honda has posted one front shot of the 2012 CR-V.

Honda got it right this time.

The first round went to Kia. The second round goes to Honda.
    edited July 2011
    Here's the link to the picture of the CR-V on Honda's site, looks like an improvement over previous years to me, now to wait for more pics of the rest of the vehicle.

http://automobiles.honda.com/2012-cr-v/
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    Thanks, just got the email from Honda with the same pic. I like it but wonder if road noise will be addressed and if they'll have center console.
    I have no idea what Honda did but "something" happened with the 2011 CRV's that really reduced road noise over the 2010's.

Our 2003 has always had more road noise than I wold like but it's never bothered us one bit. My wife usually drives the 2011 but when I jumped in it the other day the first thing I noticed was how much quietier it was than our 2003. A lot more power too.

Through my years at Honda I learned that whenever a model changes, some people like the changes and others ask..." Why did Honda mess this up?"

Some people like center consoles and others have no use for them.

When the current CRV's came out, some people complained that they had moved the spare tire inside instead of mounting it on the back door.

When a slow selling color is dropped some gripe that Honda dropped their favorite color etc.

Happens every time.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    I'll have to check it out. I owned an 08, and frankly, I was not greatly troubled with the noise. I liked it a lot. I'm spoiled now with an 2010 Highlander V6, very quiet. I read today that the 2012 has been delayed till December from October. I'm anxious to see it.
  • pete2815pete2815 Member Posts: 20
    The road noise on my wife's 08 greatly improved as did its ride when I changed the tires to Goodyear.
  • leetchie69leetchie69 Member Posts: 10
    CR-V: The redesigned Civic-based compact, delayed slightly by the Japan earthquake, will arrive in November. The new styling includes a canted back end like that of a Volvo XC60. While rumors fly that the longer body means third-row jump seats, the U.S. version will just have more cargo room behind the five-seat passenger area. The 201-hp 2.4-liter engine comes from the Acura TSX wagon and Civic Si. A hybrid version may be offered as well, but no V6.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110816/CARNEWS/110819922
    Took a few crossovers for a test ride and the current-2011 CR-V definately has the highest level of road noise on various road surfaces, also had the firmest ride (which didn't really surprise us.)

Curious if Honda will address the road noise issue in the '12 model.

Good to see the info on the increase in hp.
  • smaxxsmaxx Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2011
    They apparently did not address it on the new Civic. Why would the CR-V be different? (It's based on the Civic platform.) I have an '09 CR-V and the road noise is irritating.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Do you have Bridgestone Tires on your CR-V? Google some reviews on your model of tires, and then look at what other, quieter tires are avaiable for it. I switched my '99 CR-V from Duelers to Yokohamas, and was amazed at the difference - quiter, smoother ride, and better looking.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Interesting info from Autoweek,thanks......but that info can't be right. The 201 2.4 requires premium. Honda is not going to put an engine that requires premium in a CRV. I would think the 190 2.4 would be the most likely engine for the 2012 CRV.
  • leetchie69leetchie69 Member Posts: 10
    Required or recommended?
    Same/Same. You need to run the recommended grade. Don't get me wrong,I'd luv to see the 200 in the CRV;just doesn't seem likely with a premium requirement,reports aside. I would expect the 190 with the 5 speed auto.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    I would be shocked to see them put in a motor that needed premium.

besides, isn't the difference between the 2 found real high on the rev scale? IOW, a place no CRV ever goes?

If anything, tune for a few less HP but more torque, to get this porker (I assume it is going to pack on a few pounds too) moving off the line!

Does look nice. I have the CR-V on the to consider list for next year. Cargo room seemed OK already (better than most competitors being relatively square and tall in the back), but adding some extra inches would be helpful, especially downsizing from an Odyssey!

only the old 5 speed? wonder if that is a better design than the mutt in the Odyssey that has lost Honda quite a few repeat customers? How much more on a 30K+ car could it cost to just go with the more modern 6 speed at this point?n Especially on the higher line models.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I think Honda is about 2-3 years away from new engines and transmissions across the board. the 190 is about .4 quicker in the 1/4 than the 177/180 so it would be noticeable in everyday driving.
    Debuts at the Orange County IA 9/22-9/25. Can't wait!
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    From the look of the pictures I like the styling. My short list to replace my current vehicle "The Beast" is as follows;

Small Scale;
    Honda Fit, Kia Forte 5-door, Mazda 5

Mid Scale;
    Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Kia Sportage

Large Scale;
    Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, Toyota 4Runner

I'll get a better look at them come February at the Philly Auto Show. We had a Honda FR-V as a rental while we were in Bermuda and loved it. It was based on the CR-V frame and looked like a mini Ody (Mazda 5 sized). The funny thing is the new back end on the '12 CR-V has the FR-V's shape to it. I would love to see them put the 2.2ltr 140hp diesel (53.3mpg) that was in the FR-V in the CR-V and it would be awesome.
    We figured since "The Beast" just turned 5 on July 31st and rolled 75k a few days after we might consider a new vehicle. My wife just purchased a 2011 Crosstour (sorry, I don't add the Accord nameplate to it) in June. I myself would like to go smaller to get the better mileage, but then I would have to sacrafice the off-roading I do with the Pilot. I'm interested to see what the off-road capabilities will be with the CR-V.

We'll just need to wait and see.

Odie
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    If you look at the inside trim of the back window on the right, it looks similar to the current version.
    The tape over on the left side does not match the shape of the window it is covering up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    I also had a 2009 CRV. The road noise was unbearable on longer trips. Around town the CRV is wonderful. On the highway, driving the CRV for longer trips is not enjoyable. I traded the CRV this year, mainly for that reason.
  • smaxxsmaxx Member Posts: 10
    I replaced the Bridgestone tires that came with the car after 30K miles with Michelin Latitude Tour tires. There is slightly less road noise on the highway. Still at an annoying level though. Luckily it's my wife's car and I only drive it on weekends. Also lucky for me - she claims the noise doesn't bother her.
  • mvptrinitymvptrinity Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I'm trying to get a 2011 Honda CRV EX-L with Navigation. I'm given quotes of $393/mo for 36 months, 12k miles/yr. the price is $30k. I feel as though its too much to pay. can you provide some guidance? We're not looking to put any $ down past the required up front fees.

thank you
  • mvptrinitymvptrinity Member Posts: 2
    Is it worth going in and paying the extra for 4WD or should I settle for 2WD?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,694
    We have a pricing and leasing forum for the CR-V..

Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Honda CR-V Lease Questions

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That depends on where you live and if you have a need for 4WD. In a northern climate a 2WD CRV is near impossible to sell.

As I understand things 2011 CRVS are in VERY short supply and not that many NAVI's are produced. As a result, the dealers aren't pressed to cheap sell them with so few cars to sell.
  • thumper1221thumper1221 Member Posts: 28
    I heard the 2012 Honda CRV debut is at the Orange County Auto Show (which started on Thursday 9/22).

Anyone have any pics?

The Honda website only has exterior pics.
    edited September 2011

More here (ah, you want inside pics - haven't seen any of those):

2012 Honda CR-V Concept Debuts (Inside Line)
  • thumper1221thumper1221 Member Posts: 28
    Already seen the exterior. Anyone seen any good inetrior pics?
    On of the commenters in my link says it's "truly a non-running concept car with no basis in mechanical reality.

*Bingo!! Spy photos show the caliper in the usual place IN FRONT of the axle.*"

That could explain why we're only getting exterior shots.
    I like it. I expect fold flat,instead,of fold up,seats. Very curious re the the rumored 2.5 engine.
  • crvroncrvron Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I purchased an '02 CR-V Ex and have been generally pleased with it. I have been a loyal Honda customer since the purchase of my 1982 Civic. I also have owned two Accords and a fake Pilot and then my CR-V. I tend to keep my cars around for a good while. Now it is time to get a new car. I am considering the 2012 CR-V if what I have seen on the net is true, and or a Toyota Venza. I test drove one today and was impressed.
    Can anybody here give me an intelligent reason why I would be crazy and wasting my money with the Venza? Have you seen the new generation 2012 CR-V? Is the picture circulating on the internet to be believed? It looks really sharp IMO. Your thoughts and comments are very welcome.
    anyone have a "real" target date for when these are going to be released?

Local dealer in WI says they were told January-February 2012, wait & see if it's sooner than later.
    A reporter would like to interview anyone who has used Edmunds.com's Car Match.

Please email pr@edmunds.com by November 4, 2011 with your daytime phone number and a comment about your experience.
    I was told today at the local Honda dealership that the 2012 CR-V will be out in December! No exact date given.
  • theyhatemetheyhateme Member Posts: 10
    Same here. December in SoCal.
    hmm, can't tell for sure, but it looks like still no manumatic function on the AT?

I have read several reports that because of the floods in Thailand the 2012 CR-V release will be delayed "several weeks"! Thinking we will not see it until January 2012!
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2012 Volkswagen Passat, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze Eco, Honda Civic Hybrid, Chevy Sonic, Honda CR-V, Toyota Camry and Toyota Prius V. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.