Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tail light stays on

the_schlepperthe_schlepper Member Posts: 14
edited July 2014 in Subaru
I have a 2002 Forester. I just had a smog check and the car washed. When I came home, I noticed that the tail lights were on. I had to take out the fuse ( Fuse #5) in order for the lights to be off.

My Question is this: Could either the Smog Check or the Car Wash have caused this problem? The fuse is OK and I am not having any other light problems (blinkers, brake lights are fine). If not, what else could it be?

Comments

• saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Parking lights. Does your car have a red button to turn them on? My 2005 Outback often left the full service car wash with the button pushed.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    That is my guess as well.... there is a switch on the top of the steering column (between the steering wheel and the instrument cluster) that will turn on your parking lights, and I bet that was activated.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • the_schlepperthe_schlepper Member Posts: 14
    That was it. Thanks. Never used that button before. :)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    Very few people ever do/did, which is probably why it was not included on the most recent model changeovers. Unless you needed to keep your parking lights on without the key in the ignition, you would never need to flip the switch.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • the_schlepperthe_schlepper Member Posts: 14
    a throwback to when you used parking lights for drive-in movies.
This discussion has been closed.