Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Town and Country Rough Running, P2308 code, Coil? Wires? Plugs?

djs790djs790 Member Posts: 4
I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3l, 100k mi. The check engine light is on and I am getting P2308 error code. The Parts store print out says this is an erratic signal from the ignition coil secondary circuit.
The probable causes are:
1.Faulty spark plug or coil boot or 2.Failed ignition coil.
The van is running rough, Has a rough idle, Hesitation, Sputtering, Excessive engine vibration.
I replaced the spark plug wires a month ago. I replaced the coil and the spark plugs today.
The van is still running rough any suggestions?

Comments

• djs790djs790 Member Posts: 4
    Update:
    I checked for arcing at night. No arcing. I rechecked and set gaps on the new plugs I put in.

The p2308 code is an error in the ignition coil #3. Coil #3 fires cylinders 2 and 5.
    Erased the code. Then I flopped sprk plug wires from another cylinder for the number 2 wire. I get the same p2308 code come. I did the same with the 5 cylinder wire with the same results. So I am pretty sure its not the wires, plugs, and coil (which is new).

I checked with a TEST LIGHT the control wires for all three of the coils with the engine running.
    Pin #1 (brown/orange wire) control wire for coil #3 LIGHT GLOWS CONSTANT. I think this is wrong.
    Pin #4 (dark blue/tan wire) control wire for coil #2 LIGHT FLASHES - I think this is normal.
    Pin #3 (dark blue/dark green wire) control wire for coil #1 LIGHT FLASHES - I think this is normal.

Since the control wire glows the wire must not be bad or grounded. I think the pcm must be bad. Probably a good bet the computer is bad and should be replaced?

I don't know. Is there anything else I should check? The pcm is expensive. What do you think?

Any suggestions on replacing the computer if you think I should?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I don't know what the "light glows constant" means. Does that indicate that the output of the PCM to the coil is a high voltage level, 5V or 12V, or that it's at a low voltage level or ground?

In either case, you might try removing the connector at the PCM or at the coil input and make sure the indication is the same, that is constant and not flashing. If you remove the output connector from the PCM and probe back into the PCM itself and the indication is still constant, but the other two signals flash, than I think you have to replace the PCM.
    Update:
    I traced the non-flashing back to the pcm. I may be wrong but I pulled the trigger and ordered a remanned computer.
    This oufit out of florida sells them for one hundred and fifty bucks. Local autoparts store said its only a dealer part.
    Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.
    Update:
    I traced a bad coil driver signal going into the coil all the way back to back to the pcm for coil#3. I determined the pcm had a bad coil driver for the #3 coil. I ordered the remanned computer from Auto Computer Exchange in FL.
    I installed the new computer. It seems to work. The computer has a lifetime warranty so I think I am golden. Thanks for your help.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Glad you were able to find the problem. Hope it stays fixed.

Thanks for the update.
  • wales915wales915 Member Posts: 1
    Could you message or post the name and maybe webpage of
    The place you ordered your computer from... I just purchased a 06 T & C
    And may need parts sometime :) thanks Scott