Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Brake Problems

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Discuss brake problems here!

Comments

• weethreeweethree Member Posts: 1
    With less than 25,000 miles on my Mazda CX-7 I had a very close call yesterday. My brake pedal wouldn't depress to activate the brakes, and I needed to stop in order to avoid rear ending a vehicle. I was doing about 40 mph in a 45 mph zone, stepped on the brakes and was shocked to find that the brake pedal wouldn't go down. I increased the pressure to the point that muscles in my lower back went into spasm. After a few seconds I tried pumping the brakes which then fortunately worked. The car goes into the Mazda dealer tomorrow.

When I called my Mazda dealer yesterday they said that I was the first person to report such a problem. AM I??? I did check the brake fluid level. It is well above the MIN level, not quite on the MAX level, but close.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this problem?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2010
    With ABS & VSC/TC the braking control manifolds have the ability to BLOCK all brake fluid pressure/flow to the brake calipers. It would be highly unusual for that to happen at all four wheels simultaneously but Murphy rules.
  • adrianacx7adrianacx7 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I experienced a similar problem yesterday. The outdoor temperature rose only to 8 F during the day. I had been parked at work for 9 hrs and was getting ready to go home. At first the car was sluggish, but I could drive it. I drove about two blocks and stopped at two stop signs. I was going maybe 25 mph, when I had to stop again, only I could not do it this time, the brake pedal was hard like concrete! I pushed as hard as I could, but the pedal was not responding at all. There was a car in front on me and I had to go into incoming traffic to avoid running into it (there were no cars coming). I never use the emergency brake so I forgot that I even had it. As I was advancing, the car started to slow down on its own. Eventually it stopped into the curb. 30 seconds later and hard pushing on the pedal, it finally softened. Today I took my CX-7 to a mechanic but he was not able to find what had caused the pedal to go rigid. Needless to say I am afraid to drive it.
  • ks2akks2ak Member Posts: 1
    I am having brake problems, but mine are a bit different than what's been discussed below. About a month and a half ago, the brakes on my 2009 Mazda CX-7 started getting "squishy" and weren't responding as well as they always had. Then, one day they stopped responding altogether and I had to pump the brakes to get the car to stop. I took it in and they said the master cylinder was shot. They replaced it and all was well...until 3 weeks later and the car started doing the same thing. Only this time the deterioration was quite a bit worse. I took it back in and they said the master cylinder, after 3 weeks, was shot yet again so they replaced it once more. Wouldn't you know it, 3 weeks later, the same problem has occured. The car is in the shop now and they said they believe the car brakes were not bled properly, although they aren't sure how else to go about bleeding them as they've looked in every service bulletin and forum they can find. They came to this conclusion because Kia's, for example, need to have their brakes bled in a very specific way or this problem will happen. Can anyone shed light on this situation and help me out? My car runs GREAT. It just doesn't STOP. :(
  • sparkyboonsparkyboon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 cx7 with 6300 miles on it and was told by the dealer it needs new front rotors and the back rotors need to be turned. they say it is from lack of use LOL. anybody else having this problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    Sounds strange doesn't it? But yeah, happened to me on my Outback not long ago. I was still on my original rear disk brakes at 87,000 miles. And it's a '97. :-)

I took it to my trusted mechanic and got a four wheel brake job and asked if the rotors could be turned (I knew something was amiss since I was getting that telltale pulsing when I braked). My mechanic took a look and said the problem was that the rotors were pitted and he suggested I drive the car more. Too much sitting caused the corrosion and pitting, especially in my climate and the amount of salt they use on the roads.

I've been trying to drive it more but it's mostly used in the winter because the van is more comfy. If I didn't live in the UP, I'd just sell it, but the van doesn't do good trying to get up to the ski hills.