Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

92 dakota 4cyl hard to start when hot

derek010derek010 Member Posts: 3
my truck is kinda hard to start when it's warmed up. I have to feather the gas and crank it awhile. when it starts it revs at about 3500 for a miinute or so. I just had the head rebuilt. My first thought was timing, but the timing is dead on. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    seleneselene Member Posts: 10
    Derek,
    I had basically the same problem with my 93 v-6 dakota. There is a coolant temperature sensor (not the coolant temperature sending unit that controls the temp guage) located right next to the ignition coil on a 4 cyl. engine. This sensor controls the spark advance when the engine heats up. On a really hot day, when I shut mine down, it wouldn't start up again until the block (and sensor) cooled down. Then it would start up again. It was telling the ECM the wrong information. Once I changed it, I had no more problems. Mine cost me $33 at the parts store and took about 5 minutes to change. I had no trouble in the winter time. Let me know if that helps you.
  • Options
    ricktorricktor Member Posts: 3

I have a 92 I put new tune up everthing I could think of and still the same thing will start when it is cool and run but when I turne it off it will not start till it cools down