Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I'm glad you got out without too much trouble. I started to laugh when I saw the picture but quickly realized I was looking at my future. I stopped laughing and rededicated myself to getting tow hooks with my first Quadratec order.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Tow hooks and a CB radio are ESSENTIAL mods, if you plan on getting into off roading.

The factory bumpers are NOT strong enough to be used as tow points. Tow hooks bolt into the frame. The bolts go THROUGH the bumper, but they go into the frame.

The CB is necessary for communication with other Jeeps when you are off roading. It can be an El Cheapo, but you need to have one.

I had tow hooks, but I did not have a CB the first time I hooked up with a group of people for some wheelin'. These people were super nice to let me tag along on their club outing, and one guy was nice enough to get out of his Jeep and come back to me and tell me what I needed to know. I am TOTALLY ashamed of myself for not having a radio that day! They are cheap, and there is no excuse for not having one.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S. A tow strap with loops on each end, not metal hooks, should also be included in the "essential" category. Most likely, if you are wheelin' with an experienced off roader, they will have a tow strap (guess I shoud really be using the term "recovery strap"), but if YOU get stuck, it should be YOUR strap that gets muddy.
    Thanks for the advice. I plan to buy an off road permit for Assateague National Seashore next year and they have some minimum equipment requirements one of which I think is a recovery strap so that's on the list too.

I plan to put a ham radio in the Jeep but I'll also plan on getting some kind of CB too, maybe a handheld.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • blakewdblakewd Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody done anything like this before? I don't want to go and get the deal but get hassled or pushed into any unwanted "extras"! For example if I were to get the Unlimited and wanted to get both tops(get one with hard top and add the soft top) could they charge me MSRP for the soft top or should I get the invoice price or that too?
    My guess is that you would be expected to pay the full price, but maybe you could get them to "cut you a deal" on the soft top. They won't be making much on the sale of the Jeep, so they might not be too inclined to discount the soft top.

I like the suggestion Marcus (believe it was him) made. Get the soft top and wait a while to be sure you really need the hard top. Marcus, or whoever it was, showed that the cost would be about the same whether you buy the hard top and later add the soft top or go the opposite way.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    My password seems to working correctly know. Thanks for taking care of it for me. I will make my e-mail public again. I will let you know if your remember me function works now.

Glen
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good to hear Glen - I think some fixes got rolled in yesterday. But don't worry, something else will break to keep us entertained :-)

Steve, Host
    I tried to e-mail the information about Don-A-Vee to you, but it came back to me. Is the address in your profile the correct address? If it is I will try again.

Glen

PS: My e-mail is public again.
    Drove Thelma Jane to work today instead of the S-10, since it was going to be a beautiful day and Thelma Jane was topless and doorless.

I also decided to take back roads instead of the parkways I usually travel.

Was with five miles or so of home and a stupid turkey flew into my windshield! Man, the right side of my windshield is shattered BIG TIME. You can even see where the turkey pushed in the windshield! He must have been very close to coming on through it!!!

Oh well, at least we don't have to pay any deductible on glass breakage in KY. Think it's a law here or something.

Just hope I can get it fixed on short notice tomorrow, so I can drive her to... TURKEY Bay Saturday. :)

Tom

• mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I'm still glad I bought mine with a softtop, and yes, the cost is a wash regardless of which top it is you add later. I got to thinking about it though...if you're pretty sure you want both tops, I'd purchase the Jeep with the hardtop, then order the softtop at the parts counter; the softtop will sure be a lot easier to transport home! ;-)

Marcus
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Well, that's one way of getting Thanksgiving dinner, I suppose.

Sorry about the windshield though - hope that Saturday's Turkey run isn't quite so destructive.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    any edible bird that damages nicole will be ate!

hope you stopped and picked that turkey up.

jeff
    Sorry to hear about the windshield Tom. But look on the bright side. At least you do most of you're wheelin' at Turkey Bay and not Elephant Run. Now THAT would have done some damage!

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    do handhelds have enough power to do what they need to do?

jeff
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Jeff, if you are in a convoy offroading, it shouldn't be a problem.

If, however, you are in the middle of nowhere and need to radio for help, you may find range a bit limited.

I installed a Cobra 75 WXST in mine (receives weather band too). It is essentially a handheld CB that attaches to a little box (that I ended up mounting under my center console) and it has the range of a regular CB w/o the space being taken up. It is a bit more, but I wanted a full range.

An external antenna helps too. I installed a Firestik II (which can receive weather band too).

This unit was my choice because I can easily remove it for security, just like a handheld. I installed a quick disconnect on my Firestik II, so when I don't need it, I can remove it easily too.

Handhelds tend to be a bit more pricey, so I figured this was a good way to go. Check on the web for Cobra 75WXST and you'll find it in a variety of locations. I got it from Amazon for the lowest price and it was free shipping. Even so, it was here in 3 days. I got the antenna setup with 18' of cable and a mounting plate and disconnect from jeepersncreepers and did the entire install myself in about an hour.

-Paul
    Jeff:

Handhelds are usually OK when hooked up to an external antenna, otherwise, they are not very good, even for short distances.

Tom

• slices17slices17 Member Posts: 35
    I finally took the doors off my Wrangler X today and went crusing around topless and doorless. It was totally awesome! I still don't know for sure if it's legal to drive without the side mirrors, but I drove by two police cars today and neither of them gave me trouble.

Still, for safety reasons, I really should have the side mirrors. I heard there are mirror relocation kits that allow me to mount the original mirrors onto the car instead of the doors. Can anyone recommend one that is easy to install? I saw one which requires me to drill holes into the car, which doesn't sound very appealing!

Thanks.

Ray
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    (i): The general rule is that as long as you have two mirrors you should be fine. However, checking to make sure would be a good thing.

(ii): These are typical of the non-drill type at about $29 from Quadratec. Personally, I'd just use one of them on the drivers side.

(iii): It's not a car!

:--)
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    mac24 or anyone with an opinion,

My 2000 TJ 4.0 has about 25,000 miles on it. I have never used an injector cleaner in any of my auto's. I do not use cheap brands of gas, neither do do I use the most expensive with advertised good detergents. Should I be considering using an occasional injector cleaner in it? If so, what is a good one and how often should I use it.

Terry
  • proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    I took the top down for the first time on the '95 YJ I picked up a few weeks ago. I must say, it was an exhilarating experience driving "topless". The top came down in 5 minutes. Took me about 20 to get it back up, but now I know how to do it, which should cut a few minutes off. The "Green Machine" is about to turn 119K, but to me, its like a new car. I understand this "Jeep" thing now. Its consuming, isn't it?
    Terry, I have never used any injector cleaner in Thelma Jane, but your post reminds me that I probably should get some.

I think there really is something to the Chevron "Techron" cleaner, and you can actually buy the stuff at auto parts stores. I might just get some of that.

Tom

Yeah, ain't Jeeps just the COOLEST things in the whole world????

How 'bout dem doors? You gonna take them off too?

Tom

• jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    Tom, didn't you know that turkey is out of season right now? :-) I've heard of a lot of accidents involving Wild Turkey, but usually it was the kind you drink, not the kind that goes "gobble gobble". I'm kinda surprised you didn't just drop the windshield and go "topless, doorless, and windshield-less". Good luck in getting it fixed - hope you didn't lose out any time wheelin!

JeepHead
    JeepHead:

Man, I immediately thought how good it was that I did NOT have the windshield down when I crossed paths with that turkey! That thing would have ruined my whole day. He almost came right through the windshield anyway...it was shattered and pushed in where he hit.

I never have lowered the windshield and almost certainly never will. Just don't see how that would add much enjoyment. Besides, I have an overhead CB rack that attaches to the top section of the windshield frame.

You know, I wondered what was the last thing that went through that turkey's mind when he hit my windshield, but then I figured it was probably his a__. :)

Got the windshield replaced the very next day, Friday, and went wheelin' yesterday. It was one of those mobile glass repair guys, and he did the job at my workplace. There is no deductible on glass breakage in KY (I think it is a state law, maybe), so it didn't cost me anything.

Tom

P.S. Just looked at your profile, and I was reminded that you are in Nap Town. That ain't too far from here, so when you gonna come down and hit Turkey Bay with me???
    Paul (erickpl) rode shotgun with me one time, and David (dchristo1) brought his Jeep and his family down one time for some wheelin' at Turkey Bay with me.

Peeps, I promise you that I will show you a good time, if you will just bring your Jeeps down here.

I can give you the grand tour of Turkey Bay, and I will not try to get you to do stuff that you are not comfortable with. I cannot make any promises about damage, of course, but I can keep you out of situations where there is much of any chance for damage.

If we come to a spot that you don't want to try, just watch me and Thelma Jane do it, and then we can move on to somewhere else.

Anybody interested?

Tom

I'd be very interested, if only I lived closer, or had an excuse to head that direction! Maybe next summer I'll do a long road trip with the Wrangler and go 'wheeling with you. Between work and family obligations, it seems impossible for me to get the time. I can't get the couple of months off to do it the way I'd want to do it now. If you are still 'wheeling when I retire in 10 years, we'll meet you at Turkey Bay.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Techron is the only one I feel comfortable with. One treatment every 50k should be plenty.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Thanks mac.

Terry
  • yanksfanyanksfan Member Posts: 7
    I'm going to buy an Unlimited in a few months. This is going to be my first new car purchase. In the past I have always gotten my cars from classifieds. My question has to do with the end of the year closeout deals. I know right now they have incentives on the Wrangler for the month of September, but I wanted to know how long the incentives usually last? Will they have more after September? Does the year end clearance really last until the end of the year? Thanks again!
    -Brian
    Wranglers never seemed to be discounted for end of model year, other than just whatever the going rebate is. I guess what I mean to say is that the rebate will not necessarily go up at the end of the year.

Tom

The Taco is now out of my driveway! I sold it to the first person who came up and looked at it. The offer was fair - only a couple of hundred lower than I wanted. It wasn't enough to turn it down and I liked the guy who came up to look at it.

So now it's time to get serious. Will it be the Forester XT or the Unlimited? Or will it be something un-thought of at the moment? Decisions, decisions!
    Now, don't be silly! Get that Unlimited! :)

Tom

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I took my doors off for the first time today. WHY DIDN'T I DO IT SOONER!! I absolutely loved it. What a great feeling. I thought I got envious looks with the top down, people were downright drooling today :) I took the chance of getting pulled over, I went mirror-less. It was just around town, so it wasn't too big a deal. I now plan on picking up some "temp mirrors" to throw on for next time. I saw some quick attaching mirrors in the new Quadratech catalog. Anyway it felt so good, riding like that, I had to share with the group.

Mtngal, wow that was a quick sale! I wish my Cherokee would have sold that quick. Took me about 2 months.

-Dan
    I sold my Cherokee in a one day...of course a dealer bought it...does that count?

Glen
    I have a slightly off-the-wall point of view on selling cars. I find out what it is worth and sell a bit lower. It never takes me long to sell one (I've only done it twice, and both times I was selling a vehicle that had little worth). It all depends on how much you want the money versus how much you want the car out of your driveway. Since I was dealing with such a low worth vehicle, I figured that it wasn't worth holding out for a top offer - it was only a couple hundred dollars difference. And I no longer have to mess with it. And I got at least a thousand more than I would have by trading it in. Could I have gotten more? Perhaps, but that would have meant working harder at it.

It sure felt good this morning to have one fewer key on my key ring!
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Tom,
    A shame about the turkey. It didn't mess up your header or anything?

The Chevron Techron is good stuff, but it only treats 12 gallons of fuel, so when you're empty poor in a bottle and add 8 or 10 gallons. I do it at my oil change intervals.

Speaking of oil changes, I did the first oil change in Rubi and they screwed up and put synthetic in. I had been talking to the guy about synthetic, but wasn't planning on starting it at 3000 miles. My question is, will this have any adverse effect on my seals and what is the "real" oil change interval for sythetic? I've heard 5k, 6k, 10k (with one filter change at 5k)...
    Hey Tom,
      I've never had my windshield down either. I'd like to do it some time, just for fun, but it looks like a lot of work, and not much payoff. I'll stick to taking the doors off anytime! Your run in with the turkey reminded me of an episode of the "Dukes of Hazzard" where Uncle Jesse was driving Daisy's Jeep (Ahhhh, Daisy) and the windshield got shot out or broken. He pushed the windshield down and kept on driving - I thought that was pretty neat at the time!

JeepHead

P.S. I've been meaning to head down to Turkey Bay some time and wheel with you. I'd like to take a long weekend and roll some camping in too, but this is my busy time of year. When does it start getting really cold in your neck of the woods? I'd like to make it that way in October, go camping, and get some wheelin' time in. I'll let you know if I get my act together!
  • lsujeeplsujeep Member Posts: 11
    I bought a 2004 solar yellow wrangler x with a hardtop last month. Absolutely love it. I noticed that the paint has rubbed off a little bit at the back corners where the hardtop meets the body. Probably happened when getting the hardtop off. Is it best to get some touch-up paint or is there something else that will protect the paint? Thanks.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I love the Dukes of Hazzard reference! Got a good chuckle outta that.

Mtngal - it definitely is a "load off" to sell a vehicle.

Since we're on the subject of hitting animals (Tom's turkey) I hit a black bear about 2.5 years ago while driving through PA. Caused about $3000 dollars worth damage. Not a fun time.

-Dan
    "Caused about $3000 dollars worth damage. Not a fun time"

To the bear or to your vehicle?

Tom

Mark:

No damage to anything other than the windshield itself.

Hey, when you comin' over to Turkey Bay??? Thought that was supposed to have happened by now?

Tom

P.S.

I would have preferred to wait until about 10K to switch to synthetic, but I'm not sure if that is really necessary. Corvettes and some other cars come from the factory with synthetic oil in them. The idea of waiting is to let the engine break-in, with the rings seating well against the cylinder walls. There are a lot of folks who would say that the waiting is not necessary at all.

I don't really count on synthetic to lengthen my drain interval, just to do a better job of lubricating, especially with its superior cold flow characteristics (even at the same viscosity rating as dino oil). I feel that cold engine starts are less of a factor in engine life when synthetic oil is used than would be the case for dino oil.

My personal experience supports what I said above. I had a 94 Z-28 that made lifter noise on cold engine starts. I switched it to Mobil 1, and the cold start noise was reduced BIG TIME. The noise that it did make subsided much quicker too, with the Mobil 1.

I also got 5% better gas mileage, and that is accurate, becuase back then, I checked gas mileage EVERY time I filled up. So, that figure was not obtained on just a tank of gas or two. I don't think 5% gas mileage improvement in itself is worth the cost of the synthetic oil, but it indicates that there is less friction, and that HAS to be a good thing.

As far as your drain interval, it depends almost entirely on the use your Jeep sees. Lots of cold starts, short trips, idling in traffic? Those factors would mean a shorter drain interval than would be necessary for someone who does mostly highway driving.

Ok, I'm through... I think.
    Mark:

October is THE most beautiful month we have around here. The leaves are gorgeous, and the weather is fantastic most days.

It can be a little nippy at night and in the early AM, but the mid-day temperatures are just about perfect, with low humidity. The sky is a clear, deep blue most of the time, and there are usually just enough puffy, white clouds to make the sky look even prettier.

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE OCTOBER!

The leaves are going to change color early this year it looks like. They have already begun to change, due to our much cooler than normal August.

I would say the leaf color will peak in early October this year, instead of the usual mid-October.

COME ON DOWN!

Tom

Hi, IsuJeep! Welcome, and CONGRATS on that new Jeep!

I don't know of anything better than just using some touch up paint to cover the scratches caused by the hard top. Heck, I haven't even worried about THAT in a good while. I have several places along the tops of the rails on Thelma Jane where the paint has been rubbed off.

Tom

I'll have to make sure that I don't let it slip by this year. I've been wanting to camp out in the fall for a long while. I've got a great sleeping bag, so if it is a little cold at night at Turkey Bay in October, that is fine. (I sleep better that way anyhow!) I'll have to get my ducks in a row and make sure I make it down your way this fall.

JeepHead
    I was talking with a friend / coworker at one of our other offices a few days ago, didn't realize he was a jeep addict, until he saw nicole parked out front.

I'm looking forward to going out with Randy sometime, before getting mine out in the timber. He's got me talked into joining the Two Rivers Jeep Club out of Pittsfield IL, will probably be mailing off my check tomorrow.

well anyway,, back to the original topic of this post, Randy was telling me about some guy that got stuck back behind his house in a van, he heard the guy back there spinning his wheels, for a long time before he went back to look, figuring if the guy was there uninvited, it wasn't his problem. So anyway he watched as the guy continued to just sit and spin the wheels on this van, (Randy is still just watching) pretty soon the guy has a buddy show up, in another van, they only have a short piece of chain, they open the hatchbacks and hook the 2 vans together by the seats.

they actually got it out!

Jeff

drove the volvo today, man is it boring!
    Hey, just bring those ducks with you, and we can get them in a row after you get here. :)

Check out the Wranglers Camp campground. It's mainly there to accomodate horseback riders, but it's open to anyone who wants to stay there.

They have anything from primitive campsites to little cabins, and the cabins are only something like $27 per night. I think you can sleep four in a cabin, so it doesn't get any cheaper than that, if everyone kicks in. I may be wrong about four, but even if it is just two people, what's $13.50 per night??? They have a bath house or two for showers. Should we make Ross Allen chip in on the cabin? That would come to $9 apiece. :)

Wranglers Camp is only about five miles from Turkey Bay. Lots of Jeepers stay there.

We need to PLAN this and not just talk about it! I guess I could split a cabin with ya, instead of driving back and forth for a couple days of wheelin'. My drive is 68 miles one way.

I don't have any camping equipment, but all we really would need is a place to sleep. I do have a brand new never-used sleeping bag that I got with Marlboro miles. (I quit smoking, though, at the first of the year.)

We could get meals and snacks at restaurants and stores just outside LBL. There's even a little restaurant right in Wranglers Camp that is only open at normal meal times.

LET'S DO IT! Who else wants in on this?????

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

That was crazy about those vans! Using seats as recovery points!

Hey, it's a GREAT idea to hook up with a Jeep club. You will have experienced Jeepers to help you decide on and install mods, and you will have folks to hit the trials with. I wish we had a local Jeep club here, but there just aren't enough Jeepers in this area. No one wants to drive a long way to attend get togethers.

Hey, you wanna come down and join Jeephead and me? How 'bout you, Keats???

Tom

Jeep Buds, there are two items that you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to have when you go wheelin', and they are recovery points (tow hooks or shackles) front and back, and a CB radio.

A third item is a recovery strap, but I have us covered on that. It is proper etiquette to have your own (so that it is YOURS that gets muddy, not the guy's who is pulling you out), but I will be happy if you have the tow points and the radio if you are going with me.

Tom

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    That sounds pretty good, but my first half of October is tied up with a 7 day Disney World trip with my daughter.

I need to get the CB thing figured out...
    I'm going to Jeep 101 in Chicago next month. Hoping to see what Jeeps can really do, while driving their vehicles, not mine.

Anyone else close to Chicago thinking of going?

jts