Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT

noeffectxnoeffectx Member Posts: 32
Hi guys,

Just purchased my Outlander 2010 GT, over the weekend. I enjoy everything about it, esp the Rockfordfosgate sound system and rear view camera.

However, my A/C seems not to be working now, its blowing hot air instead, its hot in NYC/NJ area in July and Aug. The vehicle is only 3days old. Should I return it?

Also my dealer told me they cant mount a factory railing/rack on my GT, I have to go 3rd party railing/rack ie THULE or YAKIMA. Is this true?

I'm trying to really love this SUV esp my first one. But i'm thinking of returning this darn thing and replace it with Subaru 2.5XT Limited instead.

Comments

• batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Wait a minute!

Yes the GT blows warm air when you start the engine. This is just for 1-2 minutes after that it comes back to your pre-setting inside the car temperature. If the pre-set temperature is 50-60 degree Fahrenheit the A/C system thinks you are in cold weather and there it welcomes you with warm air. However this action is just for 1-2 minutes. Check your pre-setting temperature. The A/C system in your car or the temperature control in your car will be heading to the temperature you have asked (purposely or not) i.e. pre-set temperature.

Yes you are right on this. The GT (model 2010) hasn’t come with a rail rack configuration (I have said this in the thread Outlander 2010 in December 2009). It is also true when your dealer has recommended you to implement the rail rack in a third party shop. However, if you want Mitsu OEM rail rack (+ cross rail accessory) you may order the rail rack kit suitable for the model 2010 XLS from any Mitsu dealer at a price. You may take this rail rack kit to a shop; the shop will drill holes on the top (roof) of your car and fix the rail rack onto your car. The finish must be the same that the XLS 2010. The Yakima or Thule finishing will be not the same than the XLS finish. I had this choice but I didn’t want to do holes on my brand new car.

Mitsu philosophy appear to be that an AWD GT with differential on the front and in the rear (for high speed on the snow) to use a rail box on the top is contradictory to the performance of a GT. If you want a rack box then buy a 2010 model XLS which may satisfy your needs but don’t expect great performance on snow or ice at high speed as it was shown by my GT on snow/ice roads in my adventure to the Patagonia.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    batman, I'm going from memory here so I could be mistaken but I think someone posted that GTs made after a certain date (March? April?) have the mounting holes. They still don't come with the rack but it can be more easily installed.

I'm guessing it's a mid-year engineering change based on owner feedback.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever use a roof rack as it seems pretty inconvenient but would nonetheless appreciate the option of having one. And since the GT lacks badging - a minor gripe of mine - to denote it as the highest trim line, not having roof rails could lead some to believe that the owner bought a based, stripped-down model when the opposite is true.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • leo67leo67 Member Posts: 17
    "not having roof rails could lead some to believe that the owner bought a based, stripped-down model when the opposite is true"

Anti theft
  • noeffectxnoeffectx Member Posts: 32
    @batman47, as an avid snowboarder & surfer (I ride 40+days per winter season), I need the best snow performance vehicle, hence I went with the GT and would prefer to have rack for my snowboards and surfboards.

I guess I'm just going with Thule, if Mitsubishi can't install EOM rack on my GT.
    @fushigi - I will check my GT tomorrow for mounting holes, I hope it came with it :)

I will keep you posted, thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    @fushigi, checked my vehicle for drill/mounting holes for roof rack but no luck.
    Even if Mitsu dealership cannot install your EOM rail rack (Perhaps it may invalidate your warranty) you may buy a kit that fit the Outlander XLS and install it in the shop where your dealer has recommended you. My dealer told me that a Thule rail track was in the region of $500-$700. The EOM Mitsu rail track is close to $1000 (all inclusive). Your dealer may take your GT to a body shop that specializes in this type of work.
    While I have gone faster than 90 I wasn't in 3rd gear doing it. :D
    Slacker. :D
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to have my dealer (where I bought the vehicle, in NJ) install the EOM roof rack. They gave me a quote for $600. One of the reason I also bought the GT, coz the salesman guaranteed me, they can install the rack for me.

Ive been calling multiple dealers around my area (NY within 5miles radius) and all gave me different answers. Finally I got fed up and drove to NJ and talked to the salesman who sold me the GT.

I scheduled for next weekend's installation. I'll let you know how it goes and post some pictures too.
    The GT I bought in California appear to lack the following features:

1- It doesn’t have a pull switch that electronically rolls-and-tumbles the second row of seats
    2- It doesn’t have a headlamp washer mechanism
    3-It doesn’t have the Mitsubishi All Terrain Technology (MATT) only Supper All Wheel Control (S-AWC)
    4- It doesn’t have a hot-cold thermo box
    5- It doesn’t have a Self-Leveling HID headlamp (Adaptive Front Lighting System)
    6- It doesn’t have cornering head lamp
    7-It doesn’t have a LSD-rear

In my opinion Mitsubishi needs to get better in the following:

a- Stronger interior quality material (not necessarily luxurious)
    b- Put another layer of body paint (At manufacturing)
    c- Increase the body panel thickness metal by 1/2 mm. Toyota and German cars look more solid (more meat).
    d- Widen the front wheel fender (arches) by a couple of millimeters to prevent small stones flying from the front wheel rotation to sand paper effects on the rear wheel fenders. MMA still hasn’t fully solved this problem.
    Wrong transmission settings may potentially damage your GT. Road conditions usually may puzzle you in choosing the proper setting (e.g. Tarmac, Snow and Lock). When the setting is “tarmac” the car is AWD engaged by default. Equally, the Active Stability Control (ASC) is ON by default. I have used this setting at speeds below or above 70 miles/hour (mph) when the road is dry or wet (e.g. screen washer is ON intermittently) or when the water depth on the tarmac is less than half an inch. All figures are approximate.

I use the “snow” settings usually when it is snowing and when the snow on the tarmac road is not greater than 2-3 inches deep or when there are ice patches on the road. I didn’t drive at speeds greater than 60 mph.

I use the “lock” setting when the driving speed is restrained by any condition on the road that keeps me at speeds no greater than 25 mph. The conditions of the road that restrained me from driving fast were: rugged terrain, e.g. stones (gravel) above 1 inch diameter, corrugated surface 1 inch up-down, broken stone/rock surface paths, thick mud, slippery muddy roads, sand, and so on. I have also used the lock setting when the tarmac road was cover by 4-6 inches deep snow.

I have used the “tarmac” or “snow” setting on well maintained roads without tarmac usually at speeds below 50 mph.

I have noted a few ASC flashing warning light on the instrumentation control when the system is telling me that my driving is a bit dangerous.

When the speed is going to be below 30 mph for a long time the ASC should be disabled according to the experts.

The problem of taking the GT to extreme driving by playing with the settings is that any distraction may make you forget that a setting has been changed and suddenly you find, for example, you are driving on tarmac when the car is engaged in “lock”. It happened to me a few times in spite of the fact that the driving setting is lit up on the instrumentation panel. There may be many things outside the car that mess up your concentration.
    I have said that the GT is not equipped to do serious driving on roads without tarmac, mainly due to the stock tires (225/55R18). The GT is well equipped with a center differential, LSD-center, and a LSD-front that make the GT a credible off tarmac road vehicle. It lacks a LSD-rear (Lancer Evolution) which could complete all the requirements needed to make the GT a complete on and off tarmac road vehicle.

Having the GT the main differential mechanisms, the vehicle needs to be complemented with a good set of tires. This is my suggestions: (1) - If the vehicle is going to be driven 30% off tarmac and 70% on tarmac (regardless of weather conditions) then use a tire with a thread width of 215, or 225, or 235. (2)- If the vehicle is going to be driven 70% off tarmac and 30% on tarmac (regardless of weather conditions) then use a tire with a thread width of 245, or 255, or 265. If you expect to use point (2) then a mud flap (flexible) is recommended on the front fender wheel arches to prevent stones flying onto the rear of the car.

The GT stock tires, i.e. 225/55R18 may well fit point (1) above. To comply with point (2) you may need to secure wheel sizes of 16-inches, or 17-inches diameter, e.g. 265/70R16 or 265/65R17.
    1- It doesn’t have a pull switch that electronically rolls-and-tumbles the second row of seats
    2- It doesn’t have a headlamp washer mechanism
    3-It doesn’t have the Mitsubishi All Terrain Technology (MATT) only Supper All Wheel Control (S-AWC)
    4- It doesn’t have a hot-cold thermo box
    5- It doesn’t have a Self-Leveling HID headlamp (Adaptive Front Lighting System)
    6- It doesn’t have cornering head lamp
    7-It doesn’t have a LSD-rear

Of those features, which can be found on the GT's direct competitors (RAV4, CR-V, Forester, Edge, Equinox, etc.)? In order ..

1. What non-luxury CUV/SUV offers power folding 2nd/3rd row seats? FTM do any luxury CUVs offer that? The Lexus RX doesn't. I'd take a power liftgate (which the Outlander could seriously use) over powered tumbling seats any day.

FWIW I think the 2nd row seats tumble just fine but take too much effort to un-tumble. Not a problem for me but it's a little difficult for my wife who is short & not very strong.

2. Would be nice, but not something I'd pay more than $100 or so for. On the RX, which I'm using for humorous comparisons this morning, this is only available as part of the $4900 Luxury package.

3. S-AWC is arguably the most advanced AWD system in the Outlander's segment. For the vehicle's intended market, S-AWC is more than adequate. A better AWD system might help for those who off-road as you have but let's be honest; this simply doesn't apply to the majority of people who buy CUVs (of any make). The RX doesn't even offer an active front differential; just front/rear.

4. Not something I'd pay for. When unused it'd eat into available cargo space. When needed, I've an old $35 cooler that holds ice for 5 days in 90 degree heat w/out needing power. And it can be removed from the car to take to the picnic table. I wouldn't mind, though, if they did that trick that VW does (http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/07/2010-vw-gti-the-secret-fridge.htm- l)

5. They are leveling but are not automatically so. I don't see what the big deal is, though. Adding weight sensors or suspension travel sensors to read the spring compression in order to adjust the lights would add needless cost & complexity. Again, which competitor offers this? On the RX it's part of (yet another) $2060 Comfort package (also needed to get rain-sensing wipers which the GT has standard). BTW I like the manual control myself as I prefer it on 1 instead of 0 for daily use.

6. Might be useful, I suppose, but the HIDs throw light plenty wide (as well as far) IMO. Not something I'd pay for and it reminds me of the old cars with pop-up headlights where you'd always see one "winking" at you after a year or two when the motor would break. Part of that $2060 package on the RX.

7. (See #3)

So you can't get everything you wanted even if you took a $39K RX and added $7K worth of packages. That should tell you that while there are options you'd like, they generally don't fit the market the Outlander competes in. I'm not saying they don't have value; just that they don't have enough potential market value for the automakers to include in this class.

a- Stronger interior quality material (not necessarily luxurious)
    b- Put another layer of body paint (At manufacturing)
    c- Increase the body panel thickness metal by 1/2 mm. Toyota and German cars look more solid (more meat).
    d- Widen the front wheel fender (arches) by a couple of millimeters to prevent small stones flying from the front wheel rotation to sand paper effects on the rear wheel fenders. MMA still hasn’t fully solved this problem.

I don't take issue with any of these except that the added panel thickness will adversely effect weight & thus acceleration & fuel economy without helping the Outlander's already-very-good crash test results. They'd probably have to balance that by using either more plastics elsewhere or by using more expensive materials like aluminum.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    now this one might be worth considering by Mitsu though.

Back in 2007 when my '08 Lancer GTS was new there were several guys and some gals who bought Lancers who complained about chipping paint. And it sure seems that widening the fender arches a titch might solve that problem.

Having said that, my wife and I's '08 Lancer GTS has what our dealer calls the 'Auto Buter' treatment. Basically it's a paint protectant and polish regimen that gets applied every 6 months as per the agreement in our purchase contract. We don't have the paint chipping or pitting, though, so it seems to be working.

It might be worth bringing this to the attention of Mitsubishi engineers, though. Maybe one of us popping an e-mail their way, seems to make sense to me.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I said I didn't take issue with the a-d items which implies I'm not against them. For the most part my opinion is neutral but I agree that steps made to prevent/reduce body & paint damage should be taken where reasonable.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited August 2010
    and to find this out one of us would have ta do some extra research to see what Mitsubishi might be doing to satisfy the unhappy over this issue. It would irritate me if it were an issue with our Lancer GTS, for sure.

Twould be nice to see Mitsubishi step up with something simple to remedy this.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Eventually all of those mentioned feature technicalities will come to the USA and it will not surprise me that the 2011 GT will have some of these features. Let’s wait and see (e.g. rear view camera: lacking on the2007 and 2008, but yes in the 2009 and 2010).

For example the announced new Outlander Sport comes with the one-touch start system that is not found (yet) in the GT and it may also come with the “switch that electronically rolls-and-tumbles the second row of seats” and more. How does MMA expect to sell next year GT without something to entice in the buyer?
    edited September 2010
    To all Outlander GT 2010 owners, just want to share this with you, since our Rockford Fosgate are already equipped w/ bluetooth, mounting an iPad on the headrest for the back passengers, esp kids is no brainer =)

My daughter's Sesame ST shows to go =)
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I see at the Paris Auto Show the new (for 2013) Lotus line, known for naming cars starting with the letter "E" has a lot in common with the "Evo" and Outlander front end styling. http://tinyurl.com/2al3dlr
    The 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander model will receive a "GT" rear badge along with an "S-AWC" rear decal. The latter alphanumeric designation signifying this crossover's exceptional traction enhancing Super All-Wheel Control system that was originally developed by Mitsubishi engineers for the company's legendary Lancer Evolution high-performance sports sedan.
    Good. I've always felt it deserved GT badging. At MOD they gave our some Ralliart stickers and I placed one under the Mitsu name on the rear of my GT.
    It appears that the 2011 GT will have the same features than the 2010 GT. The 2010 edition will have V6 & S-AWC badges. That is all.

Owners of the 2010 GT may order those badges from any Mitsubishi dealer. Installation may be done in the same dealership (at a cost).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I've thought of getting the V6 badges that are on the newer Outlanders for my '07. It would be nice if the 4WD was badged too instead of a hardly visable sticker on the back window.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Lately I keep getting the message that my ASC is off? How do I turn the ASC on? I always thought if S-AWS is on 'Tarmac" mode the ASC is on by default?

Also, I just had my Outlander GT oil changed at (3000 miles) from JIffy Lube and still getting the message 'routine maintenance required'. Do I need to bring my GT every time I get an oil change?

Thanks
    Not sure about the ASC off the top of my head though I doubt the S-AWC mode has much to do with it being enabled or disabled. I don't have the manual in front of me & I'm not in the car right now but I think there's a traction control and/ASC button below/left of the steering wheel.

If you turn it on and it goes off again, I'd suggest there may be a sensor that's not working right or is sensing an actual (minor) issue; take it to a dealer as it'd be covered under warranty.

As to the oil change reminder, Jiffy Lube should have reset it as part of the change; take it back. BTW if yours is so equipped there are maintenance reminders you can set in the MMCS for oil, tire rotation, etc. that are independent of the Driver Info Center display (between the speedo & tachometer).

Were you at 6 months and needed the oil change? Normal oil change interval on the GT is 7500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. You do not need to change it any more often than that (lots of newer cars are going to longer oil change intervals).
    @Fushigi - I'm in Yonkers, NY. I decided to get an oil an oil change coz I had my GT for 6months now. To be honest I don't even know if the ASC is off or on. All I know is if I turn the power knob on(radio on/ not starting the vehicle) I see the skidding icon, if I start the vehicle it goes away.

My Subaru Impreza 09 also got a similar ASC but I can turn it on or off while the engine is running.
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    If you check the 2010 Owner's Manual Pg. 3-168 you'll see that when you first turn the ignition to "ON" a system check screen appears for about 4 seconds, after which time, if there is no fault, the normal information screen is displayed. If there is a fault the screen will change to the warning display showing the nature of the problem. See pg. 3-205, the skidding icon indicates that your ASC system requires servicing.
    As a follow up, page 3-138 describes a number of scenarios where the ASC operation indicator may "blink" but these do not seem to fit what you described.
    @Jonox = "If you check the 2010 Owner's Manual Pg. 3-168 you'll see that when you first turn the ignition to "ON" a system check screen appears for about 4 seconds, after which time, if there is no fault, the normal information screen is displayed."

The problem is...I am not seeing any display after I turned the ignition "ON". So I really cant tell if its on or off
    The ACS is automatically activated when the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position, see pg. 3-137 for more details.
    UPDATE: Stupid JiffyLube used the wrong oil and coolant for my GT Outlander. Brought it to the dealer over the weekend and they have to flushed the oil and coolant. Never again will bring my Outlander to JiffyLube.
    You must be pretty unhappy with JiffyLube, but your post raises some interesting issues. I've had my oil changed by the local Mitsu shop without giving it a second thought so I'll need to find out what oil they are using.

The engine oil recommendation for both your V 6 and my 4 cylinder is to use only ILSAC certified oil or if that is unavailable an API classification SM oil is acceptable providing it is SAE 5W-20. I'm wondering what JiffyLube used and what your Mitsu dealer replaced it with.

In doing some research into the 4B12 engine which powers the Outi ES I've found that it is actually designed to run on 0W-20 Lo-viscosity oil to assist in getting a high power output and low fuel consumption.

Another issue is the requirement for Mitsu vehicles operated in Canada to have oil and filter changed every three months. It has occurred to me that this is needlessly wasteful and expensive and might be extended by using a synthetic oil.
    http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/worldrecords/index.do

"ONE DAY. TWO CUVS. FIVE GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS.

To demonstrate Mitsubishi's All-Wheel Control technology we set out for some unforgiving terrain in Alberta, Canada, with our Outlander crossover family. We came home with a handful of official Guinness World Records.
    "

300 m - The greatest distance by a vehicle in reverse on snow in 30 seconds - Outlander Sport
    56.2 m - The shortest braking distance by a vehicle on ice (30 mph to 0 mph) - Outlander Sport
    3 laps - The most vehicle figure-of-eights on ice in two minutes - Outlander
    1:11 min - The fastest vehicle slalom relay on ice (1/4 mile) - Outlander & Outlander Sport
    19:31 sec - The fastest driven square lap in a vehicle (gravel, 100 ft. x 100 ft.) - Outlander

To me the most impressive are the figure 8, slalom, and the ice braking. The ice braking looks especially boring, :) , which is exactly how you'd want it to be. And the figure 8 & slalom show how the AWC system can benefit in everyday winter condition driving.

(Cross-posting to relevant threads)
    I guess I could also make my own Guinness record for how far I could fling a nose bugger off a 20 foot ladder in sub zero weather if I'm the first to do it. As much as I'm a Mitsu fan it's rather lame to be the only player in setting a record.
    Every time I see a GWR attempt it's always just one group doing it. I've never seen record setting as a competition before so I'm not sure what your "lame" comment is about.

Anyway, the bar has been set. If Subaru or any other manufacturer wants to beat it, they're welcome to try. And if they do beat it, Mitsu will have cause to better their cars so they can retake the honor. We all win as the cars get better.
    To me the word "record" implies one is the best. With no previous mark set, I have nothing to compare it to -to be impressed. The first person who makes an oversize pizza may technically have a record, but when somebody makes a 20 foot pizza bettering a previous 5 foot is one is when it means something and is worth calling a record. In essence the first person to do anything is a "gimme". You are really a record holder in my mind (and worth bragging about) when you move the mark. So while I don't expect any Guinness attempt to be an open competition I do expect a previous mark has been set or it's really meaningless. A competition would be a good way to get the ball rolling to establish "x" was clearly better than "y" and should be recognized as the record holder. So Mitsubishi can go on claiming the record, but the first question I would have is who did they beat or what was the previous mark?
    The previous mark was zero as no one had apparently made the attempts before. There's a first time for everything.

(Actually, we don't know that these are first-time GWRs as there's no mention by Mitsu or by Guinness about prior record holders. I checked obvious categories like tallest person @ the GWR site and it doesn't mention prior record holders.)

GWRs that don't impress me are ones that don't actually have real-world value/implications. Things like http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/search/Details/Largest-parade-of-Land-Rover-- /-Range-Rover-vehicles/59909.htm. Ditto tallest/shortest person stuff where the record has more to do with genetics than a conscious effort on behalf of the record holder.

At least Mitsu came up with categories that are meaningful in the real world. While going a good distance backwards on snow isn't too useful, the other categories demonstrate features of their vehicles that I might actually use in winter driving or in emergency maneuvering.

Anyway, Mitsu has established the baseline you desire. Who is up for breaking the record? If the feats weren't impressive, it'd now be easy to steal the potential marketing thunder & out-do them.
    GWR or not it's a great piece of marketing.
    Thanks for putting it up.
    "Every time I see a GWR attempt it's always just one group doing it. I've never seen record setting as a competition before so I'm not sure what your "lame" comment is about.

Anyway, the bar has been set. If Subaru or any other manufacturer wants to beat it, they're welcome to try. And if they do beat it, Mitsu will have cause to better their cars so they can retake the honor. We all win as the cars get better."

Could not agree more Fushigi. Very well said :)
    I am now in Peru. I got my GT from the Peruvian Customs and at this weekend I am off to the Gocta waterfall in Chachapoyas. This implies crossing the Andes and driving down into the Peruvian jungle. Roads are 70% tarmac and 30% off tarmac. Total mileage (return) is about 800 miles North from Trujillo which is a sea level.

When this car is not driven usually the battery gets flat after two months. I didn’t disconnect the battery because I was afraid of upsetting the standard electronic settings of the car. However, the car battery was completely flat and it took about 15 minutes to be recharged using the jump leads from the battery of another car. At the end the car regained its natural electronic settings. Next times I leave the GT stationary I will disconnect the battery.

I will keep you informed about the responses of this car as I did in my travel to the South Pole last year.
    Batman. you should get a float charger for the battery. The charge is safe and very small (won't overcharge) and they cost very little I have 3 I use seasonally on riding mower and a summer only car and a snowmobile. http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html
    Nice. I've got a friend with an old pickup truck he uses just a few times a year. I'll show that to him as I know he's always having battery issues & has to recharge before he can use the truck.
    Anyone running synthetic oil in the 4 cyl 4B12 Outlander ES motor?

If so can you provide details?

Many Thanks
    This is the response received from Mitsubishi Motors Canada to the question of Synthetic oil usage.

"MMSCAN's position on the use of Synthetic oil is that we have not had enough significant research done on fully synthetic oil in our vehicles and for this reason we're unable to comment on modifying the interval or the use of this oil. Some oil manufacturer's may have their own warranty on their product's use and if the customer has a specific oil that he wants to use, he may want to research whether this is the fact."

Comments anyone?
    Sounds like they are saying if you want to use synthetic, better to wait until the warranty runs out.
    Which is what I did on my Galant. After my warranty expired I switched to synthetic oil & extended the oil change duration to near double.

While under warranty I'll only use the oil specified in the owners manual.
    Outlander GT: 7-seats

It appears that the 7-seats GT may be not offered for sale in the USA probably in the near future because of poor sales. The 7-seats GT appears to be sold only in the USA. Australia sale the GT with just 5-seats and the 7-seats is not even an option. Russia, Europe, China, Middle East, and Latin-America do not sale the 7-seats GT. It may happen that from 2012 the GT may be sold in the 5-seats version only. Could some members detail further in this point?

Mitsubishi Motors offers the 7-seats (with the exception of the USA market) in not GT models. Bad/poor sales seems to be a factor to stop production, for example the KIA Borrego was taken out the USA market just because poor sales although the Borrego was a very capable SUV. However the Subaru Tribeca has very poor sale in the USA but the car is still being offered.
  • outlandersux33outlandersux33 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to say anyone considering doing long commuting with the outlander GT not to buy it. I got mine 3 weeks ago and everyday regret the decision. I was trying to decide between the Outlander GT and a Terrain V6 SLE-2. I went with the Outlander because I thought it had better performance and features. With the short test drives you really don't get a feel for how uncomfortable a car could be for longer trips, and I thought both cars during the test drives were about equal in the cabin comfort department - but I was wrong. I have read mixed reviews on both vehicles in terms of seat comfort, suspension, and noise.

However, I drive a lot I have already put in over 2,400 miles on it in 3 weeks. So here is my critique:

-Yes it has much better handling than a lot of SUVs

-Has ample acceleration and power - shifter paddles can be fun

--Engine can be noisy at high revs - expected

- The front seats seem comfortable at first, but if you sit in them for any length of time you realize the back support just isn't right and my lower back has started having minor aches now whenever I sit in it - It just doesn't support right. Also the seat cushions get flat fast. They do not seem to absorb any shock to suspension and travels right to you.
    - The armrest is too hard (cloth on top of hard plastic - no padding) and not in the right spot, it is too far back.
    -The little rings around the instrument cluster - rattle like no other on bumps (you can feel that they are not secured all the way around - i plan to just glue them in place (they feel snapped on)
    - Interior can scratch easily - but not as easy as the Edmunds staff makes it sound (takes more than my fingernails or regular normal usage folks).
    -The exhaust booms the interior when cruising at around 65 then you let off gas and the tach drops below 2000 (like downhill or coast) this subtle Thrum sound is very unpleasant - dealer said normal exhaust sound - meant to be sporty
    -Gas mileage has been as expected which is good

-This car makes me want to just accelerate it hard every chance because I get so annoyed by driving it slow, at least when driving hard it is somewhat fun
    - The ride is way to overly stiff and freeway driving on average roads is annoyingly jostling. This car reminds me of the feeling of a jeep it just jostles you side to side and you feel a single bump 4 times it feels like, bigger bumps feel harsh. Now I am use to different suspensions - I have recently had (Mazda 3, Honda civic, Porsche 944, dodge caravan) and this suspension is the worst set up in terms of daily driving bump absorption - not sure why. You feel every little road imperfections. - Again the dealer drove with me and said this is how they feel (sporty and communicative) -

- Cabin noise is stupid at freeway speeds - you hear every car beside you, you hear the engine noise, you hear road noise, you hear the tires thrumming on the pavement.

- The stereo is not as great as everyone makes it out to be - the Rockford Fosgate system (i do not have nav screen so maybe there is better adjustments) - seems to miss a whole range of sounds and suppresses them to background - it is overly powered with synthesized bass sound. The sound I will admit is great for rap and R&B - but for rock, alternative, country or anything else - it just plain doesn't sound good to my ears. The bass isn't the nice hitting bass; it’s like the loud annoying bass that the low-rider next to you is bumping. Basically you hear the voices and the synthesized bass and some guitar---all the other nice sounds in a song that really pull it together aren't crisp. Anyone know a way to adjust sub amplifier? I have tried an endless amount of options on the stereo...but none give it a full crisp sound. (yes I tried the settings: Normal, Stage, Live, Hall - Normal, R&B, Rock, Country - Bass -6 to +6, Mid -6 to +6, Treb -6 to +6, Fader -11R to +11F) - and yes I have had cars with 10" subwoofer before

- the Bluetooth is not good - Over half the time people cannot hear me even with full reception - and yes I have had in car Bluetooth’s before and know how to use them. When they do hear me they say it has that annoying tinny sound

- After driving in the car even with the stereo low with all the noises, exhaust, etc. I feel like I just walked out of a medium loudness bar - not a very refreshing feeling.

In the end I see the error in my ways I should have went for the car with the most comfortable and quietest cabin and smooth riding feeling for an SUV. I still have the Porsche for fun driving, but was hoping to get a compromise with something bigger that is still fun to drive. The outlander could have been this, but fails as it has all the annoying traits listed.

I really wish I would have went with the Terrain for the same price - from what I see it has a quieter interior (double pane windows, noise cancellation) - a bit more forgiving ride - equal or better pioneer sound system - more seat adjustments. The only minuses is that it is a pig in the handling department and the V6 AWD systems eats gas (16 city, 22Fwy) - but I think I may be able to live with the 4cyl for better gas mileage. Also doesn't have as large of a storage area - but still good for what most people use it for. (Missing features (better lighting on outlander, automatic rain sensors on outlander, fold down tailgate) - but who cares about these ones really?) Also the outlander for the price came with a sunroof - the Terrain does have roof rails which the outlander doesn't - I would now rather have the Roof rails instead of sunroof as I never even open the sunroof anyways (I thought it would be fun - it isn't just annoying noise and sun beating on your head - making you feel tired after driving) - also you don't really see the sunroof area when driving as it is too far back)

Anyway that is my rant on the Outlander