Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Mercedes-Benz C300 question

mnrangermnranger Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Acura
I am trying to decide between the Acura TL and MB C300 for a 3-year lease. The prices are nearly the same, though MB wants $4K down and less per month and Acura wants nothing down but more per month. MB offers free service during the lease but charges about $600 as a return fee. Acura charges for service but requires no return fee. Acura does have a superb XM radio/navigator system plus the back-up view assistance capability. MB has the XM but no navigator nor backup. Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Made the same comparison myself about 4 months ago. I was looking at a C300 4 Matic vs a TL SH AWD. Aside from the fact that the Benz was much more cramped, I found the performance lacking in the MB, too. I wasn't as impressed with the MB interior as I was with the TL's.

Acuras are known for their reliability. But, that might not matter since you're only going to keep it for 3 years. About all you should expect to do for the TL in those 3 years (assuming normal mileage given the lease) is oil changes and tire rotations. Being ultra conservative, let's say you change the oil and rotate the tires every 5K miles. Let's do round numbers and say you'll be changing the oil, rotating the tires about 9 times (45K miles). My Acura dealership will do that with a coupon for $40/ea. That's $360 in service for the Acura.

At that mileage, you'll probably have to replace the tires, but that's true of both cars. I don't think MB's "free" service includes tires. Might want ot look at replacement costs on both cars.

Depending on what you want, the TL will be a more engaging drive, with a hassle free ownership experience. That said, I've never owned a Benz before. I know plenty of others who have. Aside from the badge on the grill, I don't believe they have a nicer, and certainly not a better car than my TL.

Good luck!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • mdx_tlmdx_tl Member Posts: 7
    It's hard to pick between the two. If you go to Benz forum, people in that forum will say go with the Benz, same thing here at TL forum, people say TL is the pick. IMO, M-Benz is "classier", I heard that M-Benz and Bimmer are very expensive to maintainance when they get old, but with the three years lease, I don't think it is the issue. If I was you , I'll go with Benz if I am 40 or over, otherwise, TL is for younger people.
  • mnrangermnranger Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the comments. MB dealership is sweetening their offer and now is $777 cheaper not counting the savings on free maintenance. But then that back-up camera capability may well be worth the difference.
    Take both for a long test drive. Mash the gas on both. Concentrate on the steering feel of both. Play with the knobs on both. Sit in the back seats of both. Drive both at night (I found the controls of the C 300 to be nearly unintelligible at night). I think you'll get your answer.

Good luck, no matte what you choose.
  • mnrangermnranger Member Posts: 3
    I am grateful for the advice. I re-drove ( not at night, however) and weighed the bells and whistles on the Acura (esp. navigation system and back-up camera), and decided to get the Acura. I have had it for 4 days now and am very pleased with my choice. Thanks again, all.
    Congrats. TLs are great cars.
This discussion has been closed.