Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I was told that Two Rivers Jeep Club is the largest in the country, (most members)

After talking with Randy, they look like a great group, I was a member Rotary & Exchange club but I always was looking for a group that actually got out and did community projects the way Jaycees do.

I'm not trying to "ding" rotary or exchange, selling fruit and singing just aren't for me.

trjc seems to do that, they are putting a new roof on the VFW building next month.

www.trjc.com

jeff

anyone else in jeep clubs?
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    OK, sounds great. I'm going to tentatively plan on coming to Turkey Bay on the 9th and 10th. I don't know the details yet, but I'll send you an email when things get under way. I've just ordered rear tow hooks online, and I should be able to get a tow strap and borrow a CB here real soon. I was thinking about staying at the Wranglers camp. About the only luxury I need is a bathroom and maybe a shower, so that should be perfect. If there is a group of people interested in meeting up, then maybe we could look into a cabin. I'm getting excited already!

JeepHead
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Sounds great! Please do shoot me an email, and let's work out the details.

Would be more fun if some others were interested. Anybody???

I would still like to split a cabin with someone, or, for that amount of money, I guess I could just have my own cabin, if no one wants to split.

Just seems like it would add a lot to the fun to spend some time socializing with fellow Jeepers after the trail riding is over for the day, rather than my driving back home and coming back the next day.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I know it's been mentioned a million times, but the Cobra WXST really is handy (no pun intended).
    Paul mentioned it in post 14221.
    Lots of details on Cobra.com

I copied Paul and hid the box part under the console. I let the quick connect cable hang out through the E brake opening. Couldn't be easier to hook up, when I need it.

-Dan
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Yes it is!!! I sold my Volvo when I bought Ellie'Mae
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    Last week I mentioned that it took me about 25 minutes to put the top back up. I received some good advice and had a chance to try it out. Thanks to you all I can now get back under cover in about 12 minutes. With more practice, I'm sure I can break the 10 minute barrier.

The key was the advice to disengage the top from the rear of the tub, attach the windshield hooks but don't tension them, use the back support bar for leverage and engage the rear attachments, then tension the windshield hooks. Worked like a charm and I'm glad it did because it was late and I was tired.

I've been tracking my mileage and it's around 18.5. Most of my driving is on the highway and I'm trying to keep the speed down to see what my maximum mileage can be.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The best mileage I got for a tank of gas was one where I was driving through Sequioia National Forest. The main road allows you to drive a fairly constant 40-45 mph (as I remember) with some areas (the first climb up) going much slower but not stop-n-go. I got a little over 21 mpg on that tank!

I usually get right around 20 mpg (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less). I got a little less this tankful (19.4) but I've been driving right at 70 and it was breezy the day before and windy yesterday. I definitely thing I do well because of the climb I have - I gain far more going downhill from 6,000 feet to sea level than I use extra going back up.

The weather is teasing me - it is cool and there is a heavy marine layer in today (even drizzly!). Gets me thinking maybe we'll have an early winter. Of course, the weather prediction is for the heat to return next week. It does this every year!
    Mtngal:

Why not get a lift kit for your Jeep, but just install the back springs and shocks, and leave the front end stock. This will make the front much lower than the back, and you will be going downhill all the time, thus improving your fuel mileage!

Tom

ROTFL! I sure wish it would work that way. However, as I vaguely remember from my high school physics class there is a small matter of gravity and energy.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    So, I just ordered XM Satellite Radio for the Rubicon. I ordered the Roady 2 and am going to mount a permanent antenna and power supply. Belkin even has an adapter that mounts into the cupholder to hold it...

Anyone else doing XM in their Jeeps?
  • blakewdblakewd Member Posts: 10
    I have a couple of quesions:

1. Would it be cheaper to negotiate for lowest price on an 04 Wrangler or get the 05 at 1% below invoice guarenteed (company discount)

2. If I go with the 05 is there any more news on when the Unlimited Rubi comes out? I know production is supposed to start in Nov but how long does it take to get to dealerships?
    I would definitely go for the 05 at 1% below invoice! I doubt if you could touch an 04 for that amount of money, and you sure would not want a one model year older vehicle for the same amount of money spent, right?

If you place an order for the Unlimited Rubi, you could get it before they ppopulate the dealers' inventories. Jeeps ordered by individuals take precedence over Jeeps ordered for dealer inventory.

GO FOR IT!

Tom

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This will make the front much lower than the back, and you will be going downhill all the time, thus improving your fuel mileage!

But it's a disaster for the brakes since you need to keep them constantly engaged! ;-)

tidester, host
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Tom et al -

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but a few weeks ago I thought you (and possibly others) mentioned that the Unlimited can *only* have a soft top OR a hard top; that the dual top option was not available for the Unlimited (at least not yet). Is this correct, or can you get both the hard AND soft top for the Unlimited??

Thanks again
    Karl
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    No dual top option at the moment, though obviously you can order either top separately.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I can think of at least 3 of us that are using XM in Wranglers. I have a hard mounted unit controlled by a Pioneer XM ready head unit. Pretty sure erickpl has an Alpine deck with built in XM, and mtngal is using a Roady(2?) in her vehicles, including her NBS. The hard and soft tops are invisible to the signal so you can mount your antenna wherever it's most convenient. Be sure to post pics of your mounting setup once you're done.

-twylie
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'm finally going to but a Bestop sailcloth top for my 1999 Sahara; the cheapest place I've found is at Windrock-@$625 inc. shipping. Has anyone found a better price?
    Secondly, I'm about ready to buy a motorcycle(probably a used Triumph Tiger) and a friend is going to let me use his trailer to go pick the bike up. My Sahara came with a hitch already mounted so alii I need is a wiring harness. Any suggestions? I'd prefer a plug and play install as opposed to a harness that requires splicing and crimping. Thanks for any and all help!
    Thanks. I'm planning on wiring the antenna under the rollbar. I thought about just buying the OEM unit, but it uses Sirruis. The Roady2 is, I think, the first 3rd generation radio out. I travel several times a year with rental cars so it seemed like a good choice.
    I have a Roady (I bought it right before they came out with the Roady2 and included the FM modulator and the home adapter kit) and love it. I put the small antenna on the top curve, passenger side. It doesn't rub on the hard top at all (I thought it might if I put it on top of the roll bar). At the moment the Roady itself is just floating. I had used the mount that came with it on the Taco, and didn't take it off when I sold it (I was worried about damaging the dash).

I'd like to get a Roady2 also. Then I would get get more mounts, second antenna etc. That way I wouldn't have to move the antenna between my Noble Black Steed and my (hopefully) new green soft top Unlimited. The other Roady itself would live either in the house or my office.

The one thing I've found with my NBS (which is a '98 Sport and only has the standard AM/FM radio without a soundbar) is that it can be difficult to use the FM modulator in L.A. - there are either strong stations broadcasting or bleeding over onto the channels the Roady FM modulator uses. I don't know if the Roady2 adds more channels or not, but I'd think about that. I had no problems using the Roady with the Taco's tape deck, though it sure showed up how poor the speakers were in it.

Out of curiosity, what type of radio does the Unlimited have? Does it have either a cassette deck or a CD player? You can tell that such things aren't terribly important to me since I'm arranging to get one.
    I emailed with Best Top, they are working on their products for Unlimiteds, expecting to have them available in a few months.

I bought mine with a hard top, I wanted both but figured as close as winter is I can get by until spring and the aftermarket tops will be available.

jeff
    A 'T' type connector that plugs into your rear harness in the left wheel well is available for around $25 or less. It's by far the easiest way to go, and is widely available from accessory stores and anywhere that sells hitches and trailer parts.
    My connector for inserting the T trailer extension was in the right (passengers side) fenderwell, behind the plastic lining toward the rear corner.

-twylie
    Ok, let me amend my post to say that the 'T' connector is inserted into the harness in one of the rear wheel wells, and that full instructions are supplied with the unit!

Howzat?

:--)
    one item I forgot to mention is that the easiest place to attach your ground is the exhaust hanger bolt that goes into the frame. Pull the hanger off and scrape any paint/undercoating off to get a good ground. Once it's bolted back up, you can hit it with a shot of rattle can to cover any exposed metal.

-twylie
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    I've got the Roady2 on my Jeep. I mounted on the rollbar inside the cushioning and "stuffed" the extra wiring in there also. I mounted the Roady2 in the empty spot where the ashtray would go if I had ordered the smoker's group.

I have a 5-spd and I occasionally "tap" the Roady2 when shifting to 5th gear. You might also want to purchase the remote because the buttons on the Roady2 are on the small side.

Last month, the Roady2 sounded great and I had 3 signal bars. Now, I'm hearing some static on the XM. The radio sounds great, but the XM has static, but I still have 3 signal bars. I'm not sure if it is the wireless modulator on the Roady2 going bad or if it is the fault of the car wash when they removed my radio antenna. Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to purchase a new receiver.

Where did you order your Roady2 from? Amazon.com is selling it for $104.99. Remote is $19.99 on Amazon.

The Roady2 took 5 minutes to install and about an hour or two for the satellite to be activated.

Kai-Ling

P.S. Khaki/Khaki was my 2nd choice for a Jeep color. I thought the Khaki was elegant and Silver/Black was "tough", so I chose the Silver because it appeared "tougher" to me. :)
    ~ $20 at jeepline

I ordered one and some floor liners, the floor liners had free shipping so they just threw them in together and gave me free shipping on both.
  • bballjonesbballjones Member Posts: 8
    Ok everyone I have had my Unlimited for 2 weeks and absolutely love it and I know every Jeep owner has said to expect poor gas mileage but I got 14 mpg on my first tank and 13 on my second. My wife has driven it quite a bit and she has a lead foot but I still expected to be getting 15+. Can I expect the mileage to get better as the engine gets broken in or am I dreaming.
    Man, gas mileage is SO dependent on factors other than the vehicle itself. Driving conditions and driving style are huge factors.

If the Jeep sees stop and go driving and lots of idling, like in the middle of the city, it is going to get MUCH poorer gas mileage than if driven on the highway at a moderate, steady speed.

On the highway, driving at a steady 60 to 65 will get you better mileage than driving at 70+ MPH.

If that Unlimited has seen only city driving, I think it is doing about all you can expect it to do for gas mileage, with maybe just a slight improvement after break-in of one or two MPG.

Once it has broken in, say at about 10K miles, you might want to switch to synthetic oil. It will give you about 5% better MPG, but more importantly, it will better lubricate the engine and add to its life.

Tom

Should I wait for 10,000 miles or would it be OK to change to synthetic at my second oil change (around 6-7,000 miles). Also, since I put so many miles on a vehicle every day, could I go 5,000 miles between oil changes? That would be about every 2 months instead of every month to 6 weeks for my oil changes. At least initially all my miles will be highway, either slow-n-go or 60 plus.

Guess I'm going to find out in the very near future if the Unlimited is better, worse or the same in the wind!
    I've been wondering the same thing. What is the purpose of waiting until after the break-in period to switch to synthetic oil?

Also, what weight oil do you all use? I'd check my owners manual but I don't have one yet which is a whole other story.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    My 11 year old daughter had a friend sleep over last night. When they came home they went right on giggling and talking and ignoring everyone else. At one point I did get my daughter to acknowledge my presence and say a word or two to me. As she was walking away she stopped and said, "Oh by the way, Hannah thinks the new Jeep is cool." then went back to the giggling and ignoring.

Now I'm impressing the middle school set which is nice because I don't remember doing that when I was IN middle school.

Yours in (Ageless) Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    The thinking on waiting until after break-in before switching to synthetic is that the synthetic lubricates "too well," which does not allow the wear necessary for the piston rings to seat well. The rings and the cylinder walls need to wear-in together for a good seal (fit).

Well, lots of folks say that modern engines don't really need to "break-in," and they point to cars, like the Corvette, that come right from the factory with synthetic oil in the crankcase.

Personally, I still think it's a good idea to wait until around 10K miles before switching, and I DO believe in synthetic oil! Thelma Jane's veins run with good old Mobil 1 10W-30. :)

For long trips, Mtngal, like you would be doing, you could go 5K miles between changes with no problem, if you use synthetic (probably could with dino oil, too , for that matter).

It's cold starts and never letting the engine get up to full operating temperature (And I mean letting the OIL get warmed up, not just the coolant. So driving far enough to get your coolant temperature to show mid-range is not the same thing as getting the crankcase up to full operating temperature) that causes a build up of harmful chemicals and "sludge" in your crankcase. Moisture in the crankcase will evaporate when the oil warms up good, but when moisture is allowed to build up in the crankcase, sludge will be the result.

Drain interval really depends on the type of use the vehicle sees. I would not necessarily go any longer between oil changes, just because I have synthetic oil. I might increase from 3K to 5K, but these people who claim 7,500 miles or 10,000 miles is OK on synthetic can do it if they want to, but NOT ME.

You can find my post not too far back where I told about how Mobil 1 quieted the lifter noise on cold starts on my 94 Z-28. Synthetic oil flows better when cold compared to dino oil, even at the same viscosity rating. Oil gets around to the critical areas of your engine quicker on cold starts when synthetic is used.

I stick with the factory recommended 10W-30 viscosity. For the 4.0L engine, it takes exactly six quarts.

Tom

Kai-ling,
    Wow, that's a good deal from Amazon. I went with myxmradio.com. It was $129 on their site, but that's what it was everywhere, but they have every available accessory for the Roady2, unlike other places.

Silver/Black was my 2nd choice. That's funny.
    mtngal,

The Unlimited comes standard with the CD player, no cassette. I don't think it would be a big deal at the time of purchase, though, to have them switch in a cassette or a cd and cassette model.

On the oil front, I was concerned the other day because the doofus at the oil place put synthetic in my Rubicon. This was my first oil change and was at 3K. Anyway, I didn't end up paying for the synthetic, but kept it in. Thus far, everyone I've talked to has said that your engine should be sufficiently broken at 500 miles to put in synthetic. Many people, apparently, switch to synthetic on their first oil change. Also, 5K to 7500 miles seems to be the most common drain intervals for normal synthetics. A friend of mine is an Amsoil distributor, and he sells synthetics that have recommended drain intervals of 7500 miles, 10K, 25K and even a new one that is 35K. He runs 25K between changes and at every 12K swaps out the oil filter and tops off the fluid. So, his truck has 125K on it and he has changed the oil 5 times...
    I don't care how good an oil is, it can still get dirty, and it can still get sludge build up in it, and I ain't leavin' it in any of my vehicles for 10K miles, and certainly not for 25K miles!!!!

Call me old fashioned.

Tom

Tom, you are old fashioned. But I agree. I would be very nervous leaving oil in that long. I think I'm going to stick to 5K as my interval. If I do go with Amsoil in the future, I might bump it up to 10k.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    While at my dealer today, I picked up the '05 literature and noticed a few things different for the coming year. Among them are;

As pictured, the gray flares look terrible with most body colors.
    No real pictures of anything with the gray top up
    Center console package standard on X, but not available on SE.
    Half doors not available on Sport or Sahara.
    Ecco wheel package available separately from Subwoofer on X.
    Six CD changer available, in radio.
    Full size spare tire standard on all.
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    bball,

I've had my Unlimited since June, and I average about 16 overall. That's with about a 50/50 mix of city & highway driving. Drove over to Saugatuck over Labor Day weekend (about 300 miles roundtrip, 98% highway) and got just shy of 20, so obviously the city driving really KILLS th mileage! 8-) I did notice my average mileage improved a little after I had about 1K on it. From my experience, and from what I've heard from other TJ owners, somewhere around 15-16 average is going to be the best you'll do. The price we pay for driving Jeeps! Just try to enjoy it!

Marcus
    I'll probably do the 5,000 mile interval for the Unlimited and keep the Sport using dino and 3,000 mile/3 month interval. I think the Sport won't get used quite as much as it was when we had the Taco, even though I'm not planning on really off-roading it right away. I'll have to try it out on some easy dirt roads this weekend, though - it can't stay clean through the weekend.

My other half started to waffle last night so we test drove another soft top Unlimited. The first time I had tested one, we had been driven the Taco down so I was going from memory, and that is sometimes deceptive. At Camp Jeep I drove one on the 101 course - no traffic around. This time we drove the Sport down, so I had just been in a hard top in the same traffic. The soft top IS noisier than the hard top, though not all that much. I was more aware of traffic noise (cars around me) than I am in the Sport, but road noise (engine, tires) seemed slightly less. Perhaps it also had to do with the Duellers that used to be on the Wrangler - they were noisier than the BFGs that are on them now.

If everything goes well today, I could be driving home in a new car tonight!
    Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Get that Unlimited! Post some pics.

Speaking of which, Gill shut down his website temporarily due to Hurricane Ivan. He figured he would almost certainly lose power, so he just shut down. He could be without power for several days, since he is located in southern Alabama and was going to get hit pretty hard by Ivan.

The pics that I posted here in Edmunds Jeep Wrangler that are hosted at Gill's will not show up as pictures again, until he get the website back up and running.

Tom

This is great information about oil. Now, what oil filters does everyone like and/or hate?

Yours in Well Lubricated Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    Personal opinion only.........

best value: SuperTech (WalMart),

best quality: K&N, Mobil 1, Wix Gold,

best avoided: Fram.

Check out http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html(one of many), for more detailed info.

I now use SuperTech filters (can't get AC anymore) and dino oil every 3K. I feel I have a reasonable expectation that my engine's oil seals and gaskets will fail before it wears out mechanically.

Basically, oil doesn't wear out, it uses its additive package and gets dirty. Never change your oil without changing the filter. You'll never do any damage by changing either of them too often!
    Speaking of websites, Tom, post the link to yours again, please. I want to check out that new mod page you've been working on!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Thanks to all for the help on the trailer harness; now all I have to do is find a motorcycle...
    As for oil/filters, I follow Mobil's advice-I change the Mobil 1 at the longest interval recommended by the manufacturer. For the Sahara that is 7500 miles on Mobil 1 10W-30. I use the Mobil 1 filter as well. I know that the filter is almost certainly overkill, but it can't hurt. My passenger car indicates when an oil change is needed and that usually works out to be about 9000 miles. After 94000 miles of 15W-50 Mobil 1 the valve train is as clean as that of a new engine.
    I am totally amazed by the quality of filter that can be had for such a low price. You probably won't find a filter any cheaper than the Supertech, but they are top quality in their construction, and they are very good in terms of filtration performance.

You would have to skip the mid range filters, which sell four maybe $4 to $5 apiece, and go up to the $7 or $8 or higher filters to get any better performance than you would get from the Supertech. Even then, the difference in performance would be minimal.

Tom

It's http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

P.S. I never did get finished with that section. I still have the winch and the front locker to talk about. The pics in that section are hosted at Gill's, so they are not showing up right now.
    Yeah, man, those gray flares SUCK! I would definitely have to have mine painted black.

What about the tops, though? Man, I would want a black top too. Is it just the soft top that is no longer available in black, or is it the hard tops too?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKIN'?

Tom

Jeephead and I have a nice little wheelin' weekend planned for Turkey Bay on Oct 9th and 10th.

Who wants to join us???

Tom

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Both soft and hard top color choices are listed as Dark Khaki or Medium Gray. As a side note, they say that the Medium Gray tops are not available with the Light Khaki body paint. BUT it does come standard with Light Gray flares. This one is pretty bad.

Interior color choices are Dark Khaki or Dark Slate Gray (except Sahara). Go figure.

Another noticed change is; full face wheels are now standard on SE, but Goodyear 225 GSA's are not available on SE, only the 215 RT/S's.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Where can you get the SuperTech filters? Nevermind. Helps if I read. :) Wal-Mart.

-Paul