Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are oil issued for Audi 2007 A4 2.0T real?

runnicnycrunnicnyc Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Audi
I am thinking about buying an entry level luxury sedan, 2007/2008 CPO model (to use for 2-3 years so that I still have a warranty) - mostly will use it for daily commute (30 miles to work one way, will have to do reverse commute to CT from NYC) and would like to be able to go outdoors and skiing to VT/upstate NY, so prefer AWD. So, I got down to 3 choices:

- 2007/2008 Acura TSX - nice interior, supposed to be reliable and cheap to maintain, drives ok, plain exterior looks, only FWD, cheaper than Germans
- 2007 BMW 328xi - 328i series is the best in my opinion to drive on nice roads, 328xi does not feel that good in driving but is AWD, but it feels like BMW has the lowest ground clearance so I'd be scared to drive it to upstate NY in the winter, back seats don't have much space
- 2007 Audi A4 2.0T (or 3.2 V6 which are rarely available) - I thought initially it would be a good choice and made it to the top of my list, nice exterior and ride, AWD etc; but now I've read a lot about very excessive oil consumption by 2007/2008 2.0T engine and am worried.

Looked at Lexus and Infiniti but could not really find any 2007/2008 CPOs in my area and price range (~22-27K)

Is oil consumption a real issue for 2007 Audi A4 2.0T engine? I saw people complaining that they had to change oil every month! Is there any way to test an engine/see oil changes history before buying (I was told that it's not possible)?

I am thinking now about getting 2007 Audi A4 3.2 - but there are just a few available in tri-state area, so I am worried that resale value in the future could be bad for this model. May be I should just go for A6 3.2 model (it's a bit too large for me, but on the upside engine should be ok and it seats 4-5 people and MPG is similar to A4 3.2 model)

Thanks

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    For whatever value a single response may be, one of our cars is a '07 A4 Quattro 2.0T automatic, and it has no excessive oil consumption. Odometer reading, 46,500. It's a pleasure to drive.
  • admin_a4admin_a4 Member Posts: 1
    I think some people may have misled you...
    I've 07 A4 2.0T and it has 41K miles, A4 requires in every 10K oil change. My first oil change was first 5k and the 10K thereafter, so I've done 4 oil changes so far but only twice that I've added (one bottle-1qt) each. I think it depends on how you drive. I'm mid 30th and I still like to enjoy 2.0 TURBO sometimes, obviously I bured more oil when I pump...
    I had 01 A4 2.8 (6cy - manual, then switched to '07), that car also required to oil changes in every 10K, I remember time to time I needed to add 1qt. I don't think adding 1 qt until your next oil change is too much. BTW, most dealer will fill it for you for free, just drive in and ask.

good luck,
  • bestdeal4bestdeal4 Member Posts: 8
    I have 22,000 this car burns a qt. every 10,000 miles. Dealer does not top odd, I asked.
  • rodistrodist Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2008 A-4 2.0 with 22,000 miles. I use a quart of oil every 6,000 miles
  • dino11dino11 Member Posts: 32
    I am the unhappy owner of a 2009 A4, 2.0 engine. Bottom line, Audi mechanically is a piece of crap. BTW, this is my second ( and last) Audi. My 2006 Audi A4 never had the issues I have experienced in approximtely 15000 miles of driving the 2009 A4, 2.0 liter. Since picking up new, the car has consumed one quarter of oit every 1200 miles. This Audi of America advises that this is normal because "the car has a turbo." Bull! I have owned numerous automboiles, many of them turbos, beginning in 1986. In these turbo driven autos, there was no oil consumption of the kind experienced. Quite frankly, Audi of America's modus operandi is to jerk the owner around AFTER first asking that he/she return the car to the dealer numerous times to "verify the consumption so that the problem can be fixed" Once verified, they will then tellyou that this amount of oil consumption is normal. Each trip to the dealer involves leaving the car for a day or more. Frankly, I beleive that this is an Audi ploy designed to discourage the owner/lesee from trying to solve the problem. For those that seek a properly running auto and follow-thru with the dealer- at the end of the day the dealer and Audfi of America will tell you that oil consumption is normal. If so, then why the procedure of bringing the car back numerous times after i advised that what the consumption was? As a graduate mechanical engineer, for a 2009 auto - driven normally on the street - to consume one quart of oil every 1200 miles is NOT normal. It is only normal for a poorly engineered/designed car. Folks- beware. To buy or lease a new or used (new buzz word "pre-owned") Audi is to ask for trouble. If you are a masochist, step right up. If not, avoid Audi like a plague. There are many quality cars made and sold in the U.S. today. Audi, unfortunately, is NOT one of them.
    See my post. one quart of oil every 1200 miles is considered normal by Audi of America. I have asked for a letter stating this and one supposedly will be mailed to me. When I receive it, i will post it or email it to ayone requesting it.
  • kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2010
    I have a B7 A4 (2007) with the 2.0 turbo engine. I personally change the oil (1st at 1200 miles, then every 5000 miles after that). I use Mobil 0w40 with filters from Audi (I bought a 10-pack). Has not required any oil (yes, I check). The car has 25,000+ miles and I expect to have it for at least 10 years. No issues whatsoever.

The car is _outstanding_ to drive in snowy / icy conditions. I had always pooh-poohed AWD until I owned one and saw the difference.

The oil problems from this car usually (I said usually!) derive from:

- people that do not change it often enough (I can't stand the idea of waiting 10,000 miles for an oil change)
    - people that use the wrong oil (see the VW/Audi specs for oil!) - also mechanics that don't know better or want to cheat you by using non-synthetic oil
    - people that beat the snot out of the car and then complain....

I had a VW Passat for 225,000 mies with the "terrible" 1.8T engine which so many people complained about. The car was a dream.... sold it to someone who was thrilled to buy the car. No sludge issues there...!

with a used car, so much depends upon who had it before you and how well it was maintained. Did the original owner respect the break-in period? Did they let the engine warm up before revving the engine?
    edited August 2011
    Nobody is doubting your happiness with your Audi. The fact remains that: 1) Audi of America contends that an engine that consumes 1 quart of oil every 1200 miles is considered "normal". This is key as it says miles about the manufacturer and the design and tolerances of their engines. Their limit is not based on mileage or whether the car was new or used when the problem developed. Further, having a eacceptable limit of 1200 miles to a quart evidences that my experience was not the first. You say, take care of the engine. I agree. There will be good Audi engines and perhaps you have one. And, there will be crappy Audi engines and Audi will say not crap, uhhhhh "acceptable." What is acceptable as a brand-new engine to Audi of America is simply a piece of crap to me. And, "me" is an engineer with degrees in mechanical engineering- both bachelors and masters. 2) the Audi was leased new and maintained by the Audi dealer. I spend many years crawling under cars and changing oil, but why do it when the dealer does it under your lease? 3) The car has fifteen thousand miles on it now and the oil consumption was evident in the first few thousand miles. 4) My wife drives the car and does not hot-rod it. It sees a blend of town and highway driving. Nothing unusual. So, the fact remains that Audi produces crap and then walks away from the issue. Saves them money and is a big F You to the buyer/lesee. So, if you buy or lease an Audi and you have an oil consumption problem, tough ****. If you want to fork over money to Audi, go ahead. For me, never again. This is my last Audi.
  • jodoe22jodoe22 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, you deem the car "crap" because it uses oil? You are also asking for a letter from Audi which states that the car uses a quart of oil every 1200 miles? Have you had a chance to read the owners manual? In it, it clearly states the owner will need to add oil every 1200 miles. So, if someone tells me their car is crap, I would think the car is either leaking oil, runs poorly or has a big cloud of smoke following them when there driving. Does your vehicle exhibit any of those issues?
    Your wife is driving the safest car on the road as deemed by IIHS with a five star crash rating. Is that not important? Your also have the German build quality and handling of a fine sports car plus 211 HP out of a four cylinger engine and getting 31+ mpg to boot. If all it takes to satify you is a car that doesnt use oil, go drive a Kia
    I stand by my comment= Audi A4 2.0 T is a piece of crap. As to your comment that the manual states that the engine will consume one quart of oil every 1200 miles, I can;t check this out at the moment but i will. Y recollect that the manual states that some oil consumption between oil changes is normal But I do not recall that Audi was as specific as you state. Further, if Audi was specific and stated what you say, than they would not have been reluctant to provide me with the statement I requested because it would just be repeating what they publicly stated in their manual. I have owned many cars with turbos, None consumed oil like the Audi. 1200 miles to a quart of oil is not the norm in 2009 when my car was built, And, what is your background? Do you hold 2 degrees in mechanical engineering - b oth BS and MS? Do you turn wrenches for a lving? If neither, than I believe you don;t know diddly about engine design. Your comparison to a Kia is not well-founded, Why not compare the Audi to the now- defunct Yugo. Truth be told for a 40,000 + buckos Audi is not a quality build. But what is also importnant is that the company will not stand behind its product, If you look at their worldwide sales, the U.S. market is not that important to Audi. Thjey unload many more cards in Asia. It's a prestige thing over there to own a European car. So, buyer/lessee beware. Pick an Audi if you like aggravation.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Anyone that defends a quart of oil in 1200 miles clearly knows nothing about automobiles! That figure is hardly acceptable in an old Buick much less a 2009 $40,000+ Audi a4. Have 8+ experience driving Audis and w/o the extended warranty-the car would have bankrupted me.

Bought a brand new audi a6 2.7t in 2000 and as the car aged-the dealer became harder to deal with in fixing this car. Eventually had to find an independent mechanic that knew Audi and accepted the extended warranty plan.

Virtually nobody knows how to work on these cars! Audi is a brand that should be leased--and at the end of the lease period it is turned in and that is it.
    Fonefixer:

I think my original post was blasting Audi for the oil consumption so i presume you were speaking out about the folks that blasted me for speaking ill of Audi. I agree with your post 100%. Like you, I would NEVER buy an Audi. Lease and turn back. My wife loves the car and I will lease... only so long as the lease period and mileage is within bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage. Further, I would probably want the required periodic maintenance during the warranty period thrown in as well. However, if this maintenance is just oil changes, I might just pay for this if the charge of included maintenance far exceeded the cost of oil changes.

BTW, I was told that this "normal" oil consumption in Audi and VW
    2.0 ltr engines is widespread. Audi- get rid of the 2.0 ltr turbo and up the displacement by at least a 1/2 liter to yield at least 250 hp with a normally-aspirated, well-engineered engine.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    When I purchased a new Audi a6 2.7t in 2000, the 3 year warranty included in the purchase price of $42,500 featured a bumper to bumper warranty repair and scheduled oil changes every 8000 miles. Appears with the newest models that scheduled maintenance costs extra. In any case, without buying an OPTIONAL extended 3 yr-50,000 mile service contract--this car would have literally bankrupted me with all the incredibly expensive repairs that were needed to keep the car going.

If Audi is communicating to you that a quart of oil consumption every 1200 miles is standard on many of their newest engines--then they really have a serious problem with engineering of these cars!
This discussion has been closed.