Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Camaro

garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
Just took delivery on a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS with automatic. Drove the new Mustang 5.0 but just liked the overall styling, bold and retro look of the Camaro. The Camaro has great build quality and really performs when you punch it. Purchased it for $1100 over cost and feel like I got a pretty good deal since there is not much margin on this car. In addition, received a $3000 rebate from my GM Mastercard earnings credits. You must drive this auto and I think you will be real happy with it like I am.

Comments

• nortoriousnortorious Member Posts: 1
    Purchased mine at Brady Stannard in Brewster,NY, small friendly dealership with great service, great price. Believe me, I compared prices at about a dozen dealerships in the tri-state area up to Ma. Minor problems with car as delivered stripes although ordered did not come with the car & it took three sets from GM until they got a set that wasn't damaged. Paint damaged was addressed by dealer, first by "dentless repair" which made it worse, then finally GM step up to the plate and had it repainted. I never owned a muscle car & haven't had an American built car in years. I like the looks of the Camaro, goes like stink and although it was built to a price point overall the build quality is good & materials are typical of cars in this price range. Love the looks of the convertible, but not really practical in the Northeast.
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    Do you know if the SS models with automatic transmission MUST be ordered with the N/C active fuel management option? If this option is not selected, will the engine stay in 8 cyl operation like the Corvette does? I am thinking about ordering a 2011 2SSRS w/auto, but I had a 2010 GMC 5.3L V8 pickup and hated the AFM feature when it would change in and out of 4 cyl operation when the highway grade changed more than about 5%. No doubt being able to cruise in 4 cyl mode improved the highway mileage but the GMC's version was not transparent to me.
  • garyandersgaryanders Member Posts: 39
    No you cannot get an automatic without AFM, however, I do not notice the change from 4 to 8 cylinders and vice versa, very seamless. I really perfer the 6 speed manual, however, the wife won on the automatic. The manual tranny has a feature that at low speeds it forces you to shift from 1st gear to 4th gear in order to save fuel. However, you can order a skip shift device that plugs in the side of the transmission outer case that will defeat this feature, which I would do. Do not want anyone telling me which gear to be in. Whichever one you choose you can't go wrong as I sure like mine.
    Gary
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2011
    Hi,

For years I couldn't figure out what car to buy, kept plodding along in my 1993 Toyota pickup with 300k miles. Well tonight I found out that Chevy is making the Camaro convertible again - and with an SS model to boot! You mean I can actually buy one of these? Holy moly! Thinking of all the times I envied others who had one, and missing my long-since-departed '71 Chevelle 307 vert, the 2SS/RS is perfect!

One problem - what exterior color do you think goes best with the orange inferno interior? Would an orange exterior & interior be too much?

Thanks,
    - Paul

p.s. Will keep the truck as my daily driver. ;-)
    Paul, in my opinion the orange inferno interior goes best with the orange inferno exterior. No it is not too much. I looked at the orange inferno exterior but soon as I saw the victory red with black interior I was sold on the red. It is just hard to go wrong with a red sports car. Take care a enjoy your new car if that is what you decide on.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks, Gary. Actually went to the dealership today, salesman was very up front and let me drive a 6-speed 2SS black hardtop - solid performance with decent fit & finish. Saw the orange on a Corvette, it turns gold in the sun. Next step is to bring my wife and see if she fits - then decide if it's time to part with +/- $41k USD.

- Paul
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    If you drive a new Camaro, Mustang or Challenger and are under 35, a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info and a few words about your choice no later than July 1, 2011. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ursamajorursamajor Member Posts: 127
    I sustained a broken tie rod on a 2011 Camaro SS. I am unsure whether this critical part is covered under warranty. Are there any conditions which shift the burden of proof to the driver that the car was subjected to driving conditions which would obviate the basic warranty? From prior experience with many vehicles, a broken tie rod is a potetially lethal event which all manufacturers should not only cover under a warranty, but be aghast to learn of. I find it unconscionable that an authorized dealer is taking the position that "he" can determine that the break in the rod was due to "road hazard" and that I am at fault. The repair cost is around $ 1,000 and my insurance has a high deductible, so I have no present choice but to repair first, ask questions later. Whom shall I contact other than the dealer or the regional customer servive rep for relief?
    ursamajor, I'm surprised to hear that you're being told that's not covered. :mad: Perhaps you can go to another dealer and ask? If not, I would escalate to the GM area rep, the procedure for which should be outlined in your owners manual and/or documentation. One of the GM customer advocates, Jeff Morris, is also on a different forum - if you Google Camaro5, you will find the address (can't post it here). Wealth of knowledge on the new Camaros in addition to that found at Edmunds.com, which I rate very highly as well. Love my new Inferno Orange 2SS/RS! :shades:
    Hi Gary,

Wanted to follow up and let you know that in early April I ordered a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS and picked it up June 1st. Bought through a dealer in Michigan and courtesy shipped to NH. Also toured the Camaro factory in Oshawa, Ontario the second week of June with the BBOMG club & met some great people. Thank you for helping me get started, my wife and I love the car, going to shows & meeting other C5 owners is lots of fun! Also found the Camaro5 site, another excellent source of info.

Got Inferno Orange metallic with the Inferno Orange and black leather interior. Love it!! Really love the way the V8 sounds and runs, in addition to the looks. Not too much orange though, just right! :)

Thanks Gary & hope you & yours have a great summer.

- Paul (in Nashua, NH)
    Hey Paul, I'm glad you took the plunge and enjoying your new camaro. It sure is a blast to drive and you will get alot of comments. I only drive mine on the weekends to keep the mileage down and am loving it. I love cruising and listening to xm 60's on 6, brings back memories of the muscle car days. Take care and have a great summer. Gary
    Hi Gary,

Hope you had a great summer! Yes, it was a lot of fun with the SS. I only drive ours on the weekends too, work has me really busy and on top of that I need to find a different job (long story).

Anyway, the fall is a great time too for these cars! Just got back from the cape this weekend where 30 years ago I used to drive cars that were rust buckets! :)

Take care,
    - Paul
    Good evening Paul, thanks for the email. Hope you and your family are doing well. Sorry about your job situation, I know you will land on your feet. Glad you are enjoying your SS as I am. I can certainly imagine being on the cape with salt water air cars would rust pretty fast. I had a good summer, take care and visit with you later. Gary
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to hear from new car buyers who considered buying a convertible within the last year but opted for something else. If you’d like to share your story, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 4p.m. Pacific /7p.m. Eastern Thursday, March 15, 2012 with your daytime contact information.