Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Chevy Equinox Problems

13»

Comments

• sunnyotissunnyotis Member Posts: 1
    I realize this forum is for 2005 Equinox....I had an 06, they have to be pretty similar right? Thought I'd add to the Equinox saga... I bought mine slightly used in 07...well about a month ago my boyfriend was on the highway driving the dogs to the vet and the head gasket blew, car lost power, we were somehow able to make it to the nearest Chevy dealer about 2 miles away. After inspection, they told me it would be over $2000 to repair. No way was I going to drop $2k out of pocket with a chance they might find even more things wrong. At the time, I was not aware of the common head gasket issue with Equinoxes and of course the dealership made no mention of it. My Equinox only had 65,000 miles on it and I (along with everyone I know) kept saying, how does a vehcile with 65,000 miles blow a head gasket??? Also to add fuel on the fire here, I just dropped 600 bucks on new tires TWO days before the head gasket blew.

So since I already spent $600 2 days before, I didn't exactly have an extra $2k to spare so the only option we were left with was to trade it in. I contacted some other dealers since I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of buying another Chevy and no one would accept my car in the condition it was in since they don't have mechanics to repair it. Therefore, I was stuck buying another Chevy. And since we have large dogs and need an SUV, I was stuck buying another Equinox as a Traverse or Tahoe is way out of my price range. I'm pretty disappointed with all of this, I really liked my old Equinox and it had such low miles, I was planning to drive it for a long time.....plus I finally got the new tires dang it!!! I will be fuming about that for a while :)

Now I have a 2012 Equinox LS which is only a 4 cylinder FWD (the 2006 was V6 AWD LT) so from what I've read these newer models won't have the head gasket issues with the smaller engine. However, I'm still concerned that something else will go majorly wrong so I'll probably trade this sucker in before the warranty is up. Oh also, the 2006 had two wheel bearings go bad shortly after I bought it but those were thankfully covered under the extended warranty because they were around $1000 each to repair. I just wanted to share my story - and warn you all, the 2006 is a lemon too!!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry that everything turned out the way it did with your 2006. Hopefully your 2012 will take good care of you! If we can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch by emailing socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • cmiddencmidden Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2005 Equinox. It has been taken to the mechanic two times, they can't figure out what is wrong with it. What did you find out was wrong with yours?
  • blue54blue54 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 equinox and I'm very upset with the quality of Chevy. My husband and I have only purchased Chevrolet's, but now we are going foreign. I have 67,000 miles on my 2005 equinox recently it began over heating and my dealership said it needed a thermostat, which we replaced, but it continued to run hot 67,0000 mile and now they say it's the gaskets and the valves are bad. I'm looking at $2,200 and just put $1,300 into it in April. If that isn't enough they say my air conditioner is going and that will be more money $900.00. I must also say the cosmetic feature of the equinox is CHEEP!!! The numbers on my radio are disappearing and the paint or what every it is on the doors are scraping off.

They say What....Chevy Runs Deep....I'd agree....Runs you deep in debt...

Beware don't buy Equinox.
  • starsmyles2starsmyles2 Member Posts: 2
    The story continues (had to get a new username as fb login did not work) In April of 2012 I got my Equinox out of the shop. The CV joints were put together incorrectly when the transmission was done... and some other issues that I just cannot recall right now were fixed. I had to register the car before brining it home so I got a new Maine License Plate that reads "Lemnnox". I am still upside down on the loan, so figured I'd give it one more chance and sell it next year...and it drove better then it ever had before. I was hopeful. In May we had a rain storm for a couple of days. It cleared up. I drove it to work for a 2 hour meeting. When I returned there was 3 inches of water all in the interior of my car. I used the shop vac to clean the mess for 2 days. I bought it back to my mechanic who drained the spare tire well. Then with 77k on the vehicle (bought it at 72k) the vehicle is not liking hills again. Going up a hill the RPMS go high and the MPH go low. FANTASTIC! The dealership I bought it from is going to fix it with a 100 dollar deductible. I am not being fooled this time around. It is being put up for sale. But first I am taking a picture of the car with my Lemon plate - I am also going to to try to change the Lemon Laws in Maine at least, because no one should go through all this hassle. I don't blame it all on the used car dealer, I think Chevrolet made one heck of a piece of Junk with this car. I am never ever buying Chevrolet again and I will do what I can (websites, news articles...what have you) to share this story until the sour taste is out of my mouth. :mad: :P :lemon:
  • starsmyles2starsmyles2 Member Posts: 2
    "They say What....Chevy Runs Deep....I'd agree....Runs you deep in debt..."

I love this quote!! I hope your next vehicle treats you well.

I am so sickenend that each of these Equinox stories are so similiar and Chevrolet does not do anything but make surface applogies for their junk. If I manufactured a product, I would want to stand by it.
  • dylansmumdylansmum Member Posts: 1
    I should have stuck with Toyota. Bought an 05 about 3 months ago with 64,000 miles on it. I love but there is a huge blind spot were the drivers side mirror is. A actually hit a lady pushing a cart with two little girls in it. LUCKILY no one was hurt. So far I have not had any mechanical problens but reading all these reveiws makes me glad I paid an extra 1600.00 for an extended warrenty. If all of the 05's are crap, I'm not looking forward to any of these problems occuring. Wish me luck~ Oh mine also has the egnition probs. Sometimes it doesn't start very well. I also don't drive very far with, less than 200 miles a months.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning dylansmum,
    We're very glad to hear that everybody was okay in the incident you described! We've documented your feedback, and if there is anything you would like for us to check into please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • starsmylesstarsmyles Member Posts: 7
    Could not sell the Lemmonx in good faith and the transmission is gone again at 77,440 miles. Wrote complaint to State Investigators with the BMV. Junk.
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2012
    At about 50K miles I noticed some problems with acceleration and the transmission seemed to be acting up.
    The actual problem was the spark plug wires. The cheap OEM's were electrically breaking down and not providing proper spark to the plugs.
    Due to computer being confused by this, the transmission will start bucking with acceleration.

The solution was to replaced the plug wires and plugs with a quality set. All these problems cleared up, and it felt like I put in a new engine and transmission!
    Low transmission fluid can also cause shifting problems. A small dipstick is located at the bottom front of trans. It's tricky to check level, but it can be done. Details in shop manual or at dealer.
    If you have any drive-ability problems like I mention, be sure to do these fixes first.

Watch out for that unknowing or shady mechanic that may convince you that your transmission or something else needs to be replaced. :cry:

Wife and I bought the 2005 Equinox new and so far it has been a good vehicle for our family. (It's actually her vehicle) So far she has 85,000 miles on it and it still looks like new and runs great!
    So far, no major problems, with electrical, cooling system, engine or drivetrain, just regular maintenance.
    My wife loves her Equinox LT and so far this one is a Keeper! ;)
    jd
  • babyrockbabyrock Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I have taken such good care of my equinox and now it has overheated twice. Thermostat changed twice and now it shakes when I start it until it warms up! It has now started to jerk a bit when driving on freeway. Engine light came on and pep boys said it was a leaky valve, which we replaced! Engine light came on again they said it is misfiring on cylinder 2, is it only going to get worst from here? 80% of the work aha been done by pep boys as the dealer is way to expensive. Already changed the timer gasket on it and flushed the radiator, which still smells as if something is burning or leaking fluid, but no leaks! Haven't fixed the misfire yet as pep boys just re-did the leaky hose and the check engine light turned off, but it still shakes, any advice? I need help! The truck has 108k miles and was serviced at 97k! :confuse:
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    How often did you change the Dexcool? Also, check the coolant reservoir; is the coolant a pinkish color or is there sludge in the reservoir? Good luck.
  • petecorypetecory Member Posts: 1
    And another issue with my Equinox, after horrible noises when turning and the dealership telling me they do not hear anything and i show it to them during a ride along and they tell me it is normal. TO now less than 100k miles and i have a spun bearing which I have to replace.

I will never buy another Equinox and I am not sure i will even look at another chevy after the amount of problems I have read about with the equinox and nothing was ever done.
  • cbharr10cbharr10 Member Posts: 1
    Mine does the same thing. It stalls while driving, sometimes even on the freeway. The check engine light will come on and then go off by itself.
    At first I thought it was problems with my fuel injection because it would only do this when I had 1/2 tank of gas or less. But yesterday, it did it on a full tank of gas. Like the others, every time I bring it to the shop, the check engine light goes out and they can't find anything wrong. :sick:
  • sgvettesgvette Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    We bought our 2005 Equinox new. It now has 107,000 miles on it.

I can honestly say Ive never been more satisfied with a new car purchase.

We have multiple classic cars and use the E for all our running around. The "worst" mechanical issue Ive had was a worn out key that made turning the ignition difficult.

Other than tires and brakes this car has been an absolute jewel of a functional vehicle. Absolutely love it. I would highly recommend someone buy a used E of similar model.
  • curtisnycgcurtisnycg Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE CAP AND ROTER , SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES TO GET RID OF THE SHAKE
  • jongorman1108jongorman1108 Member Posts: 1
    To begin we have had starting issues since a week after we got the car in 2010, the cd player goes bonkers at least a couple times a month I have also had to replace the starter and then about 6 months ago my wife had the car strand her on the road so I went and trailered it home and turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Then two weeks ago the car just died on her again only this time she was driving in bad traffic so again I trailered it home and have been doing some research and there is a lot of talk about pcm issues which from what I have read seem to be relatable to all of the problems I have had so I purchased a pcm and put it in and now the security light just flashes on the car sounds no different than it did before. I was hoping someone here could shed some light on my problems. Thanks
  • dawn2005dawn2005 Member Posts: 1

Bought a 2005 equinox new in 2005 with the extended warranty. After the first few months, a constant high pitched whining noise would start up at about 30 mph and would not stop until the car came to a complete stop. Unfortunately, the sound comes and goes, and there is no pattern to it’s occurrence so it took over 4 years before the dealer even heard the noise. At this point in time, the dealer has yet to figure out what it is even though it has been in the shop several times. Now, at 80,000 miles, the engine has locked up and needs to be replaced. I have also had the same lag/jerk in the transmission that I’m reading others are experiencing, but have not had to service it (yet). I’m torn between junking the whole car, or putting in a new engine and hope the transmission holds out, but I can’t afford a car payment.

• bankrupt05bankrupt05 Member Posts: 1

My 05 Equinox that we just bought this summer just went to the shop. My wife on her way home from work last night ended up with a bad shake when she hit 45-50 mph. She pulled off the road and was stuck in a very bad neighborhood for an hour till I could get there. Now I find this site and see all the issues with this vehicle. I am amazed of how bad this vehicle was made. Don't have thousands of dollars for transmission. UGH!

• ekeenan1ekeenan1 Member Posts: 1

What a nightmare this month has been, I previously owned a 2010 honda crv and drove it with not a single issue for four years. I decided to go Chevy and support American made. Could not be more upset with my decision. I bought a 2005 equinox with 70,000 miles on it and I've owned it for 38 days. It's been problem after problem. I read reviews and thought people were just being crazy or that "every car has some issues",man was I stupid for not listening to these people. My truck has been over heating for 30 of the 38 days. I've changed the thermostat, flushed the system twice, cleaned the radiator. Now it's looking like head gaskets!!!!! What a joke. Every other car manufacturer builds a car that gets 100k with no problems but not Chevy no way!!!

Does anyone know if there's any programs that Chevy is honoring repairs or anything?? Seems like a nightmare, if I can't get help I'm done with American made. Honda all day.

I noticed Theres a GM rep responding but only to the small issues, why not the big problems people are having??

• ophidicusophidicus Member Posts: 1

First off I owned several Chevy Cars from a Blazer to a Eurosport and a Camaro. The Blazer I had went 200K Miles and had Minimal Maintenance issues.
    Test drove a 2005 Chevy Equinox 4/10/14 with 77,1xx miles on it , Drove fine but test drive was only 2 miles so the car did not have an opportunity to get to operating temperature. dealership was unaware of interstate laws with registration. had to wait 6 weeks for the paperwork/registration to process. Finally Got the Vehicle at 3PM on Monday 5/19/14 with 78,xxx Miles?? strange since i had a deposit on the vehicle, Vehicle Broke Down 20 miles outside dealership on a busy Highway approximately 3:25pm same day. Overheated 3 Times Temperature Gauge Fluctuated Wildly . Dealership was not helpful at all and would not offer a solution other than going to a Jiffy Lube to get it fixed. Had to use last AAA Towing to get the vehicle back to the dealership. Blown Head Gasket in My Opinion, Radiator Reservoir Bubbling and exhaust smelled of Coolant badly. Oil Level was 3X too high with milky coolant smell and Drivers side headlight was out. They claim a 200 Point Inspection? Dealership seemingly Dodged all my calls and concerns about the vehicle for 2 days. Wanted to return the vehicle but Atlantic Hyundai would not accept a return. Vehicle still sits on Dealership Lot. They called me and said it was fixed but I believe the problem is more than a broken Thermostat as I placed my hand on the Thermostat hose and it was red hot and it would not be that hot if coolant was stuck in the engine. I cancelled my Registration and Insurance and Notified the bank of my Intent of not Paying for a Vehicle I do not have in my Possession since they will not accept the vehicle back. very bad experience. I Didn't even make it home with the car from the Dealer. That Says Everything.

• shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160

A friend at work has an "05 Equinox and needed to replace the engine this past January. This vehicle only had about 70K on it when it started overheating. I told her about the issues with these cars. She described as best she could what was happening and I told her I truly believed it was a head gasket issue. Now she bought this car used from a local dealership(Not a Chevy dealer, but a GM dealer) and took it back to them. They himmed and hawed for weeks and finally told her she'd have to replace the motor. At first it sounded like she was going to have to pay for the whole thing but after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, they told her they'd put in a new Jasper engine(Why they didn't use a genuine GM crate replacement, I don't know since they are a GM dealer) but they did use the Jasper and they made her pay a little over $800 for things "not covered" so they said. She got the car back sometime in February and while she's happy she didn't have to foot the whole bill, the car is now acting up and she really doesn't want to take it back to this dealer. Using my code reader, I got 2 codes, one is PO300 and the other is PO352. She has a little hesitation from time to time and I believe that both of these codes are ignition related. I'm sure when they put in this new engine they used parts from her old one like maybe the coil pack and that's what the code PO352 relates to. She's noticing some hesitation when she's stopped for a light, gives it gas and she says one time it felt like it was going to shut down. If anyone has any suggestions on what may be the problem here, please let me know ASAP. Thank you very much and have a great day!

• shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160

Just a follow-up to the above. My friend took her 05' Equinox back to this dealership where she had all this work done to have the DTC codes I spoke about evaluated. Their solution was to replace the ignition coil pack at a cost of $275 including labor. She gets the car back a week ago Friday and all SEEMS well till 2 days later when she tells me at work that the engine light came back on. So I check the computer Saturday morning and lo and behold what do I get?? THE SAME FREAKIN' 2 CODES!!!! This vehicle is unbelieveable or haunted or just PLAIN JUNK! I told her to take it back and NOT to pay anything since they did NOT fix it. I know the owner of this dealership and I'll call him if I have to on her behalf. She told me earlier she can't wait to pay it off(she bought it used) so she can get rid of it. Now I can't say I blame her.

• shonamommy5shonamommy5 Member Posts: 1

I am having so many issues with my 05 equinox. It was purchased used from a family friends lot. As soon as my son signed the papers, I was driving it home to do the maintanance on it. The drive home was 45 minutes and in that time it overheated and died on me on the side of the freeway. Being a mechanic I knew this car was bad but my son thought it was a great deal and sign the papers anyways. Took it to the dealership who explained to me that the water pump was bad which i told him there was no way and it was the head gasket. after 3 days, they called me to tell me it was the head gasket. So 2 days later, they say its just fine and to come pick it up. I drove it 3 minutes to the freeway and it wouldn't go over 35. so I was broke down again 4 minutes from the dealership. I got it back to the dealer and they diagnosed the converter as being bad due to the head gasket crack. Replaced the converter $880 later and it still doing the same thing. The only codes it is throwing is 02 sensors. replaced them $300 worth, still the same issues. Seen the PCM recall, not my vehicle (wrong VIN). What do I do now??? $200 a month, only had it 3 months, Have $6000 left to pay for a car I can't use. I am so upset with GM for this car/suv. I hate it and will never purchase another GM.....Oh and btw, I also own an Olds Alero (GM product) which I have had at the shop for 5 months and none of the mechanics can figure out how to start it.We have done all the GM security tricks with no luck. Replaced $2000 worth of parts on the Alero with no luck. GM is just not making good cars anymore and I will NEVER buy another one. anyone know how I can complain to GM?