Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Break in period for new vehicle

medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
edited July 2014 in Subaru
I just read in Popular mechanics (Sept '10) that you should change the oil in a new engine after the first 20 miles, then again after 1000 miles. This stands to reason, as the moving parts are all seating themselves in the newly manufactured engine. The oil that comes out will look like metal flake paint, filled with tiny shavings.
Additionally, they recommend NOT putting anything like Armor All on the vinyl in the car, as it will leach the plasticizers out and actually increase the likelyhood of future cracking and fading. To bad I didn't read that yesterday- now I have to wipe down everything with a soapy rag! I have 56 miles on the odo of my 2010 Forester, so I am off for an oil change.
Another thing they recommend: Scotch Guarding the interior cloth surfaces, always a good idea, especially if you have kids.

Comments

• coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    Theres no way after 20 miles that the oil will come out like metal flake paint. I can see after 500 or 1000 miles,....Remember you have an oil filter to catch this stuff.
  • medic481medic481 Member Posts: 32
    I thought that was strange, too, but I was just quoting from the article. I changed my oil at 100 miles, guess it's worth trying.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Do you believe everything you read? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard regarding oil changes. Go by the owner's manual - I'll bet it does not say to oil change at 20, 100 or even 1000 miles!......... :sick:
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Read your owners manual. Most will tell you not to change your original oil until
    the scheduled maintenance time.
    Follow the stated break in period recommendations because today's cars do
    not need such an extensive break in period as they did years ago.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "I just read in Popular mechanics (Sept '10) that you should change the oil in a new engine after the first 20 miles, then again after 1000 miles. This stands to reason, as the moving parts are all seating themselves in the newly manufactured engine. The oil that comes out will look like metal flake paint, filled with tiny shavings..."

That was not the case in the locally restored engines of my three vintage BMW motorcycles, nor in the case of my 2006 Scion and 2008 Forester. At 100 miles for the motorcycles, and 1000 miles for the cars, the oil came out clean.

Here is the story of a new Scion whose owner forgot that critical first oil change for over 6,000 miles. Just image what was found!
    http://scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23558
This discussion has been closed.