Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    gaylemd1,

Did you get a Service Request started when you called into the GMC Customer Assistance Center? If you wanted to forward that number (71-**********) to us via email (socialmedia@gm.com) we'd be glad to check into the progress on the case.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • sportsman25sportsman25 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your help! I have just sent the information you requested!

Hope to speak with you soon,

sportsman25
  • gaylemd1gaylemd1 Member Posts: 2
    Can you please provide me with the telephone number to the GMC Customer Assistance Center
  • scottmay3scottmay3 Member Posts: 17
    You should also file a complaint at www.nhtsa.gov
    Sure thing, gaylemd1!

They can be contacted at 800-462-8782 and their hours are as follows: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sunbeamtigersunbeamtiger Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Have a 2008 we bought new and now has 62000 miles. The 5 year warranty expires in Apr. Am on leave (in the military) 760 miles from home visiting the in laws. Transmission failed the day we got here. Dealer has it now and will hopefully get it back in a few days. I fully intend on dumping the vehicle as soon as I can........the damn thing is just about paid off too.

Shame on you GMC. This type of conduct after the bailout too.
  • rinconmikerinconmike Member Posts: 4
    My 2007 failed with under 50,000 miles in June of 2011. I was still under warranty so I was lucky. I traded it in it right after the repair. Got a decent trade in value (I took good care of it). GMC was horrible during the repair. I went with an infiniti instead and probably will never buy another GM vehicle because of this.
  • tedra33tedra33 Member Posts: 1
    Well...looks like our family is another one affected by GMC Acadia's issues. We have a 2008 and have had many issues. A constant knocking, shifting sound for 2 years that could never be solved, stearing, breaks, air conditioner, electronic, and now the transmission is out. Our 5 year warranty ran out the end of November 2012. We are told it could cost $4,000. This is horrible for a car that has been nothing but problems and now needs a new transmission at 60,000 miles. We are frustrated and will not take no for an answer from GMC. We cannot pay this and will be persistent.
  • scottmay3scottmay3 Member Posts: 17
    Make sure you file a complaint with nhtsa.gov. Also work with GMC customer service, but be prepared that it is a crap shoot with them.
    sunbeamtiger,
    We're sorry to hear that your holiday travels were interrupted like this. If you want for us to check into this with the involved dealership, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation).

tedra33,

It sounds like you may already be working with Customer Service. However, if you aren't and would like for us to start checking into this, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

• unhappy123unhappy123 Member Posts: 1
    31 days from the date of the 5 year expiration of the power train warranty, not the mileage, only
    54613 miles on this car, the transmission, the transmission computer and something called valve bodies are out on the car. Estimated cost of repairs $4500.00. GMC could care less. Not that the warranty means much anyway, the power steering went out at 34,000 miles, alledgedly fully covered and I still had to pay 50% of the repair to get my car back from the dealer. To anyone thinking of purchasing any GM car, from any of their divisions --- don't do it. Clearly GM is returning to profitability at the expense of their customers by cheaping the quality and not standing behid their product.
  • gmdoesntcgmdoesntc Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    My 2011 Acadia failed on Dec 24 as well. I was coming to a stop sign, the engine light came on, and when I went to accelerate the car would not move. The RPM increased, and the engine reved, but the car would not move. I tried shifting into low and from neutral to drive, nothing. No other sounds, leaks, indications, nothing. Had to get a tow to the dealer who now has the car. Dealer says they can't replicate the problem, and the computer is blank. They are shrugging their shoulders. Do you mind sharing what your failure was? Is it similar?
    unhappy123,
    We're sorry to hear about your Acadia's transmission. Are you currently working with our Customer Assistance Center or with us via email (socialmedia@gm.com)?

gmdoesntc,
    We're sorry that your dealership is having some difficulty getting this resolved. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us more information at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the concern).

• megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    Shame on you GM for seeing all of these very similar stories of low mileage and tranny, steering, AC, etc. problems and doing nothing about it. I got my tranny work done (warranty expired 6 or 7 months prior) with a huge discount after calling GM customer service and speaking with Larra. But I am still having trouble getting my Chevy Cobalt repaired properly (blown engine) under warranty. Both vehicles went down on the same day and the dealer had the cars for almost 3 weeks. Would not lend me a courtesy car and totally pigged up the inside of my Cobalt and actually damaged the Cobalt transmission when engine was installed. Then they installed a used tranny in the Cobalt. When I got the Cobalt back, the automatic gear shifter was loose and the engine cover was just laying on engine because they never put the nipples on the engine that the cover snaps on to. I told GM that I have no confidence in this repair shop now and I would like to go to another dealer to have cover put on correctly and the shifter looked at. The person I talked to handling the case, Matt, agreed but when I went to the other dealer, they said GM never contacted them and would not do the work unless I agreed to an $822 charge to do the work!! I called GM and said whats going on and they said they would cover all but $500. The work was supposed to be under warranty so I called the dealer and said don't do anything. I went to get the car and they wanted to charge me $80 to diagnose the problem!! Talk about insult to injury! I basically told them to kiss my you know what and left with the car. Needless to say, I traded the Acadia in already and I will NEVER but another GM product again.
  • gmdoesntcgmdoesntc Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    Just heard from my dealer that GM recommends installing an "Input Speed Sensor" to address the issue of my 2011 Acadia (all of a sudden will not accelerate, as if it is in neutral when it is in drive, RPM increases and engine revs, just goes nowhere). Has anyone had a similar recommendation? Did it fix the problem?
  • peevedgmcown1peevedgmcown1 Member Posts: 1
    I broke down on the side of the road this morning in my wife's 2008 GMC Acadia, and found out this afternoon that I have to replace the transmission. For the last year and a half or so, it has been in and out of the shop getting worked on. Luckily, I had a warranty so I didn't have to come out of pocket for much of it. But now that my warranty has expired, I will have to foot the bill for one of the most expensive parts in an automobile. This vehicle has been a thorn in my side with all the repairs needed. This is quite frustrating. I can't say that I will never buy another GM vehicle, as my friend has a Silverado, and it hasn't been anything but good to him, but I will shy away from GM vehicles, if at all possible.
  • mngmcarownermngmcarowner Member Posts: 7
    Well, you think you got problem. Read the Saturn Outlook section:

#515 of 515 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD / Trans problem by mngmcarowner Dec 27, 2012 (11:21 pm)

Well it is New Years, and it has been since Thanksgiving since my 2008 Saturn Outlook XR AWD brook down due to transmission problem. I got it fix and it cost me $3,000. That's my kids Christmas present rite there. It is sad that GM wouldn't care or do anything to help. My kids were sad because daddy have to spend $3,000 out of broke dad's pocket to get a GM vehicle fixed. My kids were sad because they did not get anything for Christmas. I had contacted GM by phones, emails, and letters. GM told me to go screw myself.

Well, GM could continue doing what they do best. Turn their back on all of us (GM vehicle owner) or they could start doing something rite now, or end up like TOYOTA.

TOYOTA: Lexus LS400 that, in six separate incidents, accelerated on its own and nearly caused several dangerous rear-end collisions.

2008 Saturn Outlook: Same thing happen to my 2008 Saturn Outlook and I call, email, and letter to GM and they told me is not there problem and not enough complaint out there.

Toyota: but with all the issues we've had with Toyota, I would have liked to see them step forward and do the right thing. So many of the letters we've received say, 'Sorry, it's not our fault, it's yours.' "

GM: Letter and phone call to me, " we are sorry to hear that you are having problem with your GM vehicle but we can't help you at this moment ".

Toyota: Payout from Lawsuite

GM: Payout from Lawsuite, WHEN? :

P.S. Don't bother calling, email, or send letter to GM. Because they will denied everything. Hack ya. I send letter to GM president since Thanksgiving and one of their customer service people call me and told me that GM can't help me or my families. :cry: My kids were crying because daddy can't buy them any Christmas gift. Oh GM told me to call Santa....hohoho
    We're sorry to hear that the transmission went out on the Acadia, peevedgmcown1. Keep us posted on your progress with the dealership, and if you would like for us to check into anything further for you we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and a brief summary).

edited December 2012
    That is what my Acadia did. Would just rev and not move in any gear. If it was shut down for a short time, it would then go into gear for a short time when restarted. My son and I managed to get it back to where we were staying. It took several start, stops and pushing the Acadia to do it though.

UPDATE - Car is back and fixed! DeMontrond Buick GMC in Houston was AWESOME! Huge props! All was under warranty thank god.

The tech literally pulled, rebuilt and installed the tranny in a day an a half. We will see how the 767 mile trip goes today.

Here is what is on the paperwork: CAUSE - Wave plate came apart. K7407 3-5-reverse clutch plate replacement. They also replaced the valve housing.

GM Customer Service - HUGE thanks goes to Austin Herring who was our service adviser at DeMontrond Buick GMC in Houston. He was extremely helpful in getting the Acadia diagnosed and fixed in a very timely manner. He was in constant contact with updates and the dealership gave us a new loaner car with 500 miles on it. Job well done! A great news story for your company to be sure.

Due to this great effort, I am able to get back to Fort Leavenworth on time without extending my leave.
    Home again. 767 miles covered with no issues.....well, other than the really crappy MPG (18). My Ford Fusion get 34 MPH HWY. My Tiger gets 17 :shades:

Thanks again DeMontrond.
  • megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    Funny how GM knows the many problems these vehicles have yet they stand idle until the government has to step in and make them take responsibility. Some things never change... this piss poor company will never learn.
  • mbrown4111mbrown4111 Member Posts: 8
    GM is a joke. Wave plate went out on our 07 Acadia 3 months after the warranty went out 55 k on the car and GM was very sorry this happened to us. While fixing the tranny oh ya your water pump is out too and we are so sorry this happened as well. We stood behind GM when they went bankrupt but they won't stand behind us now. The dealer gave us a small break on the repairs but customer service from GM would not do a thing. Good luck to all of you, you're going to need it!
  • toolietoolie Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a used 2008 GMC Acadia on June 16, 2012. The warranty ran out last month, the beginning of December '12 when it rolled over 100,000 miles. When the vehicle had about 100,300 miles on it, I started thinking the transmission was shifting hard. Wouldn't you know it would wait until the warranty ran out on it? Now it has a little over 101,000 miles on it and there is definitely a huge problem. I've had it to two transmission shops and have done my share of checking up on it on the internet. It seems that GM knows that there was a huge problem with the 2007-2008 transmissions going out but to my knowledge they haven't implemented a recall to resolve the problem. I "was" sold on General Motors after owning a 2001 Tahoe which has 350,000+ miles on it and has never had anything done to it! When it came time for me to buy another vehicle this past June, I wouldn't even consider anything but General Motors. Now I'm starting to wonder if my decision was right! If it is a proven fact (and obviously based on all of the posts on every blog I've read) it is....GM could at least fix the problem with the transmission(s) on these faulty vehicles. I'm at the point now that if I could get rid of this vehicle I would but they wouldn't trade with me because I've only had the car 7 months and would be too far upside down in the debt if they had to repair the car!!! I can't afford to put $3000 or more into repairs and then trade! I have to admit, I've gone to other dealers to look at their vehicles. I don't know if I can still be convinced that GM is the best when I've only had this vehicle 7 months and it can't be driven unless I sink a wad into it so close to the end of the warranty!!!
  • rbahnsenrbahnsen Member Posts: 29
    GM is a joke... I too own a 2007 acadia and had the transmission go out on me as well and after 4000.00 later GM was so gracious to give me a 100.00 dollar letter of credit to use as I need to on oil changes or any other repairs.. Are you kidding me 100.00 does not even cut it.. I will never ever own another GM maufactured car ever again. GM knows there is a problem with all the 2007 -2008 transmissions but refuse to recall them so the customers just keep paying for their ignorant mistake of using a cheap part that they knew would end up failing..
    GM should be sued by all of us that have been forced to pay for this transmission problem!!
    Ohh it gets better the other day it was raining and the water was pouring through my back seat lights!! Literally pouring through them and all I could do was laugh thinking that GM is such a joke!! Good luck to you :lemon:
  • dennyboy00dennyboy00 Member Posts: 2
    My wife's came home on Saturday to tell me that the transmission won't shift and was lucky to get back home. I went out to check out the problem and discovered that the car also would not go into reverse. I have a OBD II reader and plugged it in for error codes. It reported a P0700 code transmission system failure. I checked the freeze frame codes and there was a code (don't have that number on hand) indicating that solenoid D was stuck. Well we made an appointment at the local dealer and I wasn't too worried thinking that it was still in warranty. When we dropped off the car yesterday, we were informed that the in service date was November of 07 therefore missing out on the warranty by a little over a month (just our luck). She doesn't even have 50,000 miles on the car. The dealer quickly indicated it would be $100.00 for a diagnoses. I can see that this is really going to hurt my pocket book when this is all over.
    My question: after reading all these problems with the transmissions on these vehicles, if they have to rebuild it will they replace all the problem parts like the wave plate and other solenoids? Or will they just fix the immediate problem. Or will the just put in a rebuilt transmission? Regardless, who has a few grand lying arround....this is going to hurt my family big time!!
    toolie,

If we can check into this further (although we can't promise any results up front), please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• dennyboy00dennyboy00 Member Posts: 2
    Well, the dealer called me to state we needed a new transmission. He gave us 2 options, a rebuilt one for $3800.00 with a 12 month warranty or a new one for $4000.00 with a 3 year warranty. What the hell kind of option is this??? You would have to be a moron to not go with the new one with the 3 yr warranty after all when your talking thousands of dollars, what a couple of hundred more. He said that he sat down and talked to his manager and they agreed to help payment through the GM customer assistance program and take off 40%. I guess its better than nothing but I agree with Toolie. There are problems with the transmissions and they should have been recalled. I guess because it was not a saftey issue, we are all stuck paying the bill on these vehicles. I too used to thing that a GM was a upper class vehicle being a luxary to own one. Now I am thinking that you have to be upper class to pay for the repairs on their vehicles. I scraped to purchase this vehicle thinking it was reliable and well built and would last a long time. This is still going to cost me over $2500.00. GM never again!
    We're sorry that you have to replace the transmission on your Acadia, dennyboy00. Let us know how the replacement goes! If you had any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and a summary of the concern).

• lisadeh72lisadeh72 Member Posts: 2
    I have had difficulties with my SUV as well, overheating, all the recalls, and now right after the warranty runs out my transmission gives out....I think GM should compensate all consumers on these problem vehicles they charged us an arm and a leg for. Never again will I buy a GMC or any byproduct by the company. I am disappointed with the SUV even though I loved it.
    lisadeh72,
    We're sorry that you've had troubles with your Acadia. If you would like for us to check work with you through the process of getting the transmission repaired, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).
    Good luck they won't do a thing for you but they are sorry...
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Little consolation now, but in the future when you have an overheating problem it's wise to change your oil and transmission fluid. For example, the overheating could cause the transmission fluid to boil and weaken the fluid's protection properties. Most late model vehicles use aluminum parts in the transmission which heats up much faster than steel. As a result, the transmission's parts wear out faster with an overheating situation. Good luck.
  • lyndawaglyndawag Member Posts: 8
    I am getting a very hard jerk/jolt in my 2007 Acadia when I hit 20 mph. Anybody out there having this same trouble?
  • misc23misc23 Member Posts: 22
    I am curious why there is not a class action suit by people with this same wave plate problem that causes them to spend $4000 on a new transmission when it is a known problem by GM. I talked to the tech who replaced my transmission and he said the new wave plates are different than the ones he is taking out. That proves that GM knows there is a problem and has put a sollution out but they are making customers pay for it rather than admitting their problem. Has anyone contacted a lawyer about filing a class action suit?
  • lyndawaglyndawag Member Posts: 8
    what exactly was your car doing? I'm bringing my 2007 Acadia to the dealer for the 2nd time for the same problem in a few mins. I make a very hard jerk when I reach 20 mph, they tried to tell me it was sludge build up. just wanted to see what was your problem was.
    lyndawag,
    If the dealership you're working with is one of our GM dealerships, we're available to work with you through the process of getting this checked into. Please don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation so far).

• toolietoolie Member Posts: 4
    I agree with you, however I have not contacted a lawyer myself. As a matter of fact, the thought hadn't entered my mind until you mentioned it. The mechanics that I've talked to have said the same thing. GM knows there is a problem and has put a solution out but are making customers pay for it rather than admit it is their problem. I figure if it was something that they thought someone would get hurt when it tore up, they would have recalled it but because it's the transmission they aren't willing to pay. It's obvious that there are a great number of the 2007-2008 Acadia's that are having this problem!
  • nipnip2nipnip2 Member Posts: 1
    Make sure you file a complaint with nhtsa.gov. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. There are only 30 complaints on the site. WE NEED MORE. PLEASE
  • keheitmannkeheitmann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Acadia. August 2012 - long drive home with my 6 year-old and we broke down two hours from home. Night in a shabby hotel, 1 taxi ride, and 1 rental car later and we needed to replace the water pump.

January 21, 2013: 1 hour from home with my now 7 year-old, 1 rental car and now we are replacing the wave plates and housing at a tune of $1500!

I will be logging onto NHTSA as well and NO! I will not buy another GMC after this!
  • eroc216eroc216 Member Posts: 2
    just had my girlfriends 07 acadia towed to my mechanics shop. transmission stopped working while she was driving and barely made it out of a busy intersection. police had to come and make sure she was out of danger and stayed with her for 5 hours waiting on tow busy nite i guess.
    after reading everyones post on here i think we are in for some headaches. she has roughly 75k on it which seems to be the average of when this problem happens. seems that gm knows theres a problem and as far as a recall not being done because its not a safety issue is bs. just ask the police and my girlfriend that just sat on the side of the road wondering, not if but when will someone hit her. there needs to be some thing done about this and i dont want to see a post from gmcustsev, why because i seen it 50 times on this thread all bs. I think depending how this plays out i will contact a lawyer and see how to start a class action suit. i dont think it should be hard to find 1 lawyer not willing to make a name for himself exposing gm for all the crap tthey put people through. might even contact my local news all they have to do is look at all the forums full of basicly the same problems and complaints and they have their story. with all that being said if anyone can give me advice on this i would appreciate it.
  • gmcwoesgmcwoes Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Yesterday, I had to merge over 4 lanes from 1 highway (I195) to another( I64) , the gears slid and my 2007 Acadia sluggishly accelerated. It was divine intervention -- traffic reduced and I managed to cross over to my exit. I noticed that my clock completely stopped. At my destination, I turned the Acadia off and on and the clock corrected to proper time. Concerned for my safety, I avoided highways, but
    experienced jerks, sputtering, shaking, gears shifting and low acceleration. The car had 1/2 tank of gas.
    I parked the Acadia in the garage. Hours later, I attempted to drive the Acadia but it would not Reverse. It would drive forward but it would not Reverse. WTH! I called the service dept. of the
    dealer that sold us the Acadia and asked a lot of questions, even whether the cold weather caused
    any issues w/Acadia. Then I got onto the forums and read for 3 hours and became ENRAGED! I could have been hit multiple times on the interstate yesterday. Divine Intervention saved my life.
    I am having the Acadia towed (at my expense) to a GMC dealer/service dept.

Where is GMC Customer Service?
    Who really what to do a lawsuit? I know plenty of attorneys and plan to call a couple of them today.
  • rbahnsenrbahnsen Member Posts: 29
    I would join in the lawsuit if anyone starts one...
    It is total BS tha GM has not recalled the transmission defects on these Acadia's but instead make us pay for their screw up.
    It enrages me that GM will help pay for some people repairs and not others such as mine because they say the milages was too high.. Really I drove a Ford Windstar that had over 200,000 miles on it that never had a transmission problem.
    Contact me if you do file a lawsuit and I will join because the transmission is not the first problem Ive had with my 2007 Acadia.

Rachel
    I also would join a class action suit against GM. I would start one myself if I knew how. The thing that really chaps me is I bought a new Sierra 1 week before my wife's acadia had its breakdown. Never again for GM.
    keheitmann,
    We're sorry to hear about this situation. If you would like for us to check into this further with you and your involved dealership, please send us more details via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).
    edited January 2013
    Acadia is now at the dealer's service dept...they said these are known issues, seen 20 or more times. Could be computer mishap sending wrong info, could be wave plate or solenoid issue. There were many GMC cars/trucks scheduled ahead of us for service, could not get error code info before leaving. Truck had to be transported via flatbed...Home now waiting for the verdict.
    gmcwoes,
    If you would like for us to check into this further with your involved dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• eroc216eroc216 Member Posts: 2
    ok heres an update called dealership all warranties have expired told me to call gmcustsrv. did this told him about all the complaints here on edmunds about the same issue. he told me that edmunds is not a gm website and said that he had no knowledge of any custsvr rep anwsering post on this site. he said i have to tow my acadia to a dealer and have them look at it. so what it sound to me like i have to pay them to fix it even when my mechanic said the transmission was shot and he even knew of this problem. not to sure how to go about this with out getting screwed. anyone know of a lawyer willing to help us fight the good fight let me know please thanks
    edited January 2013
    This is now more unbelievable... wave plates broken & cost is $3600 to repair. Dealer's service department doesn't even stock the parts. It will take me some time to process this information. Where are we supposed to find $ to get our car back on the road -- thanks GM for punishing us for
    believing in your product and buying it too.

Not one word from Sarah or GM Customer Service. Did she just go off grid completely.

How much have out-of-warranty/early adopters have to pay for this repair?

What's the cost difference quoted for Rebuild and New transmissions?