Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• whitehouse223whitehouse223 Member Posts: 1
    the korean co. I worked for for 23 years started using low grade china material in GM transmissions and spindle bearings, after filing complaints with the SEC & FTC I was informed not enough information even though I submitted a large amount of copies and computer images , the goal of GM is to make it past the warranty period if possible and count on the government to bail them out when it catches uo with them
  • lisadeh72lisadeh72 Member Posts: 2
    I just received my Acadia back from rpr shop and it was the plate in the transmission, repairman said its a common problem in the 07' models. Thanks GMC for your shoddy craftsmanship just for a bailout you obviously don't deserve...my cost was 2045.00 for a rebuild bc they said I caught it before it effected the other parts of the transmission. :lemon:
  • lyndawaglyndawag Member Posts: 8
    I just got my 2007 Acadia out of the shop today also!!!! they had to replace the wave plate also, so glad I bought the extended warranty and this was covered or I would have to pay thousands of dollars....GMC needs to recall this whole car!!!! They told me back in October when I first sent it to the dealer that nothing was wrong with my transmission and that it was sludge in the motor....I knew dam well it wasn't sludge!!!!! I brought it back this week after reading about the defective wave plates on the site and made the manager ride with me. He was stunned at the jerking that my car did!!! I told him it probably was the wave plate because of the things I've been reading and he said oh the internet just tells you the bad things about cars, don't believe everything you read! well low and behold 1 day later they called me and said it was the wave plate that was bad!!!! Can't believe how wonderful my car drives now...feels like I have a brand new car!!!!Too bad this car model has so many flaws....I really, really love my Acadia but lesson learned: Never Never buy a car the first year the car was manufactured!!!! wait a few years to get the kinks out!!!
    Yep they do train them to say things like that....well, they didn't pull the wool over my eyes......I had all of my documentation that my oil was changed every 3,000 miles so they didn't have a leg to stand on. At first when the sludge comment came up I told them I would pay for the $200.00 sludge removal treatment that they were advising, then when that didn't stop the problem that they would reinburse me totally then fix the transmission!!!! of course they wouldn't agree to that! But ending up replacing it to their expense!!! Yep this is my first ans last GMC....but it's sad because my Acadia rides so good and is so comfortable and so wonderful to drive:((
  • jimh27jimh27 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Acadia with similar issues. I had the overheating problems last year along with a loss of power. It was under warranty at the time and they repaired the overheating issues. Now it is out of the five year warrant and with only 60,000 miles the transmission failed. Same scenario as others. I noticed it shifting hard and no power in reverse. On the way to the dealer I had a loss of power. I limped into the dealer to find out the tranny was dead. $4,100 replacement estimate. I called another tranny shop and got a $3,800 quote. I asked the service manager to get the area rep involved after reading this forum. I will let you know if we get any compensation.
    I did not know about the tranny issues until I searched for it. There was no warning on this failure. I noticed problems and decided to take it into the dealer the same day. I will file a complaint at the site above if I do not get any resolution.
  • toolietoolie Member Posts: 4
    I filed a complaint with GMC via this site and was issued a file# but because my 2008 Acadia is out of warranty was told they would not help with compensation.
  • nhamarshehnhamarsheh Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 Acadia with similar issues. I had the overheating problems last year along with a loss of power. It was under warranty at the time and they repaired the overheating issues. Now it is out of the five year warrant and with only 85,000 kilometeres the transmission failed. Same scenario as others. I noticed it shifting hard and no power in reverse
  • vizar99vizar99 Member Posts: 2
    So like many on this forum/thread, i had the wave plate issue approx 14 days out of warranty. Dealer rebuilt the transmission as well as replace the steering rack for the third time! I don't know if this car will make another year without additional repairs. It seems i was luckier than most, the dealer cited a "Good Will" program by GM and the total out of pocket for me was $200.

One thing i have noticed is after the transmission repair, is the gas mileage is dismal, 11mpg in 70/30 city/hwy driving - much worse than prior, evening using the gas lightly. Also the idle "creep" when you take your foot off the brake is noticeably reduced, i have to use more gas than previous.

I now need to take it back to the dealer, but i am not hopeful that they will be able to re mediate it. I will just get the std response... transmission is functioning correctly... nothing to be done. But clearly something is wrong.

I loved the ride , the car has all the features I would want, but this has soured my whole experience with GM. I hope they can set this right.
    I just had the wave plate on my 2007 Acadia replaced and I have also noticed this also about my gas milage!!!! my gas milage was great before but now seems I can watch the gas gage go down, I thought it was my imignation but evidently not!!!!!any suggestions??
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Any news, jimh27?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    nhamarsheh,

What country are you writing from? I would be happy to get you information on how to contact Customer Service in your area if you like.

vizar99,

Have you already made your trip to the dealer at this point? Looking forward to hearing back from you!

• vizar99vizar99 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sarah,

I brought the car back to the dealer and they said that it was normal; that they had to reprogram the transmission and that the new programming would affect the mileage. They also gave me the line that the behavior was to insure the longevity of the transmission. They also did not write up a service ticket and are implying they would charge me $68 for a service call if they did. This just gets more frustrating. Minimally I need documentation of this issue, especially if it get worse in the future. Can I open a formal complaint with GM customer service?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Sure thing, vizar99! Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far.
  • smanfredsmanfred Member Posts: 1
    Had my 2007 Acadia at my local dealership on Monday for the headlamp recall and my check engine light was on. A call from the service department said the the purge valve was malfunctioning, the fuel injection system needed cleaning and it needed a tune up. The purge valve issue had been fixed by another mechanic, so I took it back to him for follow up. Fast forward to today...according to the diagnostic run by OnStar- the transmission has a serious malfunction! If the engine and transmission was checked on Monday, how did they miss a transmission issue!! Now I am stuck until Monday, maybe Tuesday because of Presidents Day before I can talk to anybody.
  • busteduptrannybusteduptranny Member Posts: 2
    I have 2008 GMC Acadia, bought brand new in 2007. We have had a few small issues, but nothing like some of the other owners I've read on these forums. That is until this weekend. On Friday Feb 15 we were on our way to a long awaited ski weekend trip and experienced a total failure of the transmission. Luckily, it happened as we were pulling into the ski resort on top of the mountain pass and we were able to safely park the vehicle. Just as others have experienced, we lost power, then were able to limp along in first gear. After parking, it was unable to go into reverse, and unable to drive safely.
    We had to be towed 50+ miles to the nearest service center. Of course, this happened on the beginning of a 3 day weekend and 3+ hours from home. We not only cut our weekend short, but had to inconvenience family to drive over and pick us up. The Acadia is still at the service station, I have no idea of cost. Our Warranty ran out less than 6 months ago and there are a little more than 60K miles on the vehicle.
    Now that I've read the others on this forum, I am extremely frustrated and angry with GMC. Mine is not an isolated incident and it's clear that GM knows of the problem. It seems to occur weekly if not daily to Acadia owners all around the world. GMC should be ashamed to be releasing inferior products that end of costing their owners thousands of dollars beyond the normal cost of maintenance, all while taking Tax payer money and claiming to be a responsible company. I'm already looking for another company to provide transportation for my family. Shame GMC.
    busteduptranny,
    We're sorry to read about the transmission difficulties you've encountered with your Acadia. Let us know if we can check into this further with your dealership. We can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• mbrown4111mbrown4111 Member Posts: 8
    Check out the service rep on all these complaints, same person 90 percent of the time, Sarah telling the same story that they are sorry. They have no idea how sorry they really are. So happy we bailed them out!
  • ricks2008ricks2008 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia with 44,000 miles on it. It has had multiple service issues just in the last two years we have replaced the oxygen and map sensor, water pump, purge valve, driver side control arm.
    In December 2012, the timing change and gears, cams and lifters were replaced just before the warranty expired otherwise it would have been another $2400.
    Yesterday, February 18, 2013, the transmission went and is estimated to cost $2300 to fix the wave plate.
    At this rate I could have bought a Ferrari. The vehicle has been in the shop more days than I have been able to drive it. I am tired of making two payments every month; one on the vehicle and the other for repairs and parts. What is wrong with a company that produces such pieces of crap? It is bad enough people are trying to make a living when you have a car you can’t even drive that has only 44,000 miles and you can’t even give it away.
    At this point, besides the newly found problems with the transition, the back heater core is leaking and the passenger side air bag sensor switch needs to be replaced, estimated cost of $2200. The Acadia is a never ending MONEY PIT!
    What happened to good American made vehicles? I can no longer afford to donate my hard earned money to fund GMC. I need a bankruptcy bailout.
    I worry about what will go next? Where are the safety standards?
    Shame on you GMC!!!
    “Would you let your family ride or drive in a vehicle that had so many issues?" :lemon:
  • goomastercgoomasterc Member Posts: 3
    OH MY GOSH!!! Almost the EXACT sme scenario.

I went skiing with my sons this weekend while my wife was home with the Acadia. She said it was running rough and I suggested she get the car washed (thinking we had snow/ice/mud in the wheel). Well, the car DIED in line at the car wash. Towed to the dealer on Friday, February 15th. Yesterday (Monday, February 18th) I was told that the transmission was DEAD. This is a 2008 Acadia that we purchased in September 2007. My warranty expired in September 2012 and our vehicle has < 60k miles.

Cost to fix: $3,906.00!!!!!

I am a supplier to GM and when we have a problem holy heck is unleashed. We must supply root cause analysis within 24 hours and have clean product in the supply line regardless of cost. I've had to charter planes to get parts to GM plants for quality issues. Oh, by the way, I am stuck for any and all costs associated with these issues.

Ridiculous. I've owned (in order) Sunfire, Grand PRix, 2 Door Jimmy, 4 door Jimmy (2) , Envoy XL, Yukno XL, Acadia. Done with GM now. Tryign to do the right thing but constantly jammed on.

Plan on following this part through the entire process to make sure it is dissected and a full report given. Cost of ownership on this vehicle is HUGE!
  • busteduptrannybusteduptranny Member Posts: 2
    Wow! Sounds like you bought exactly when we did and the vehicle lasted exactly the same amount of time before GMC TRANSMISSION FAILURE. Like i said, i think this is hapening to acadia owners on a daily basis. We finally got our estimate today $3200 for a rebuild of our current tranny or $3800 for "refurbished" GMC tranny. The refurbished tranny comes with a 3 year warranty, so of course that's what we'll do. We are totally stuck. We have to pay close to 4k to get our vehicle back. Thats a lot of money to come up with out of the blue. Thanks GM. No vacation this summer, and goodbye eating out. Quality control has gone out the window at GM, or there is a more sinister plot afoot. But only a conspiracy theorist would beleive parts are purposely made to only last a little longer than the warranty.
  • megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    CALL GM Customer service. I was quoted $3400 dollars for the tranny and Customer Service got it down to $608. I was about 7 months out of warranty. I actually didn't pay anything because the day my tranny went, my 2010 Chevy Cobalt engine blew and while they replaced the engine (work done at same dealer as the Acadia), they damaged the Cobalt tranny and put a used one in. I raised heck and they waived the Acadia repair cost. They never even gave me a courtesy vehicle and both my vehicles were in their shop for almost a month. Needless to say, I traded in the Acadia immediately for a Kia Sorento and I am thinking about trading in the Cobalt. I am TOTALLY done with this company.
  • rbahnsenrbahnsen Member Posts: 29
    HOw many miles did you have on your Acadia??
    ricks2008,
    We're sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with your Acadia. If we can check into this further for you, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    goomasterc,
    Are you currently working with Customer Assistance on this at all? Let us know if we can check into this further by contacting us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    67,000 Miles. I was in contact with a very nice lady named Larra at GM customer service. She called the dealer and myself almost every other day until the car was completed. I looked for her extension number but could not find it for you.
    smanfred,
    Any updates since your last post? If we can check into anything further, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • dagger6dagger6 Member Posts: 14
    At 85,000 miles, my Acadia transmission failed for the third time. First time at 40K. Second time at 60K. And now at 85K it quit again. Not to mention that between 40 and 60K the transaxle developed a massive oil leak that required the trans to be removed yet again. This car is meticulously maintained with full records available to GMC Customer Service. You owners with wave plate issues need to know that GMC is eating the cost of repair. The wave plate was redesigned because the previous design was fragging like a grenade. This car is a plague on owners and GMC continues to deny that there are any systemic problems. And let's not forget the headlight wiring harness recall. Swearing off GM and GMC forever. Tried to be a good citizen and buy American, but what's the use? Every dealer tech and service manager I spoke to is aware that these vehicles are nothing more than a reliability nightmare. They ARE sympathetic and really do their best but it's the product that sucks. Not the dealers.
    dagger6,
    We're sorry to hear that you've had these troubles with your transmission. Have you already worked with Customer Assistance on this matter?
    Well, Sarah, GM Customer Service has been helpful but only to a point that extends no further than to get me off their back. What I want is a new, post-2010 transmission. The one with all the redesigned parts. Barring that, I want them to buy the car back at a negotiated price I can live with. My third option, on which I have already embarked, is signing on with a lemon law lawyer. I hate to pursue that route because it takes more time and is a totally unnecessary exercise if only GM would cowboy up, admit their transmissions were misbegotten from the beginning and take responsibility for their error. Over to you, Sarah.
    dagger6,

We're sorry that this has been such a difficult process for you and that you're now engaged in legal recourse. As you proceed with your lawyer, you will be directed to the appropriate department within General Motors.

Kindest regards,
  • goomastercgoomasterc Member Posts: 3
    Sarah,

Yes I am working through the issue with GM customer service. To be sure I will update this board with the outcome.
  • ospajesasaospajesasa Member Posts: 5
    ">link title 2008 sle 70,000 miles I have been reading many gmc acadia forums regarding problems people are having with this nightmare of vehicle.
    Out of all the problems i have had I think the only problem i haven't had is is the leaking problem
    and that's only because I didn't buy the acadia with the sunroof.
    I bough this car in April because my 1998 ford expedition was getting old and gas prices were getting pretty high. And I was doing a lot of traveling out of state, I was trying to buy something safer for my family.
    Five years later here I am driving my 1998 expedition with no problems and my "better car" just sitting on my driveway.
    It all started the first year when I was taking my daughter to Florida for cheer leading competition; I was just outside of Illinois when the check airbag light and message screen came on'.It got me pretty worried just thinking that if I was in an accident the air bag wouldn't deploy but I had to keep going since I had to be in Florida the following day for competition thankfully the light went off but came back on on our way back to Chicago and it kept doing that for a long time; on when i was driving it and off when I wanted to take it to the dealer. so I left it alone for a while. Then the power steering started making that noise that a lot of people is having problems with. Than while still under warranty the suspension stared to make a lot of noise took it to the dealer and they replaced the tie rods and told my wife that she had a bad low beam headlight and they charge her $180.00 just to replace the bulb. Then the light on the other side needed to be replace and my nephew was able to replace it in about 5 to 10 minutes. Now there is a recall for that problem but I didn't know until recently but is to late to get a reimbursement for what i paid to have it fix; last day was Dec 31st 2012
    then the service airbag problem came back and this time didn't go away. took it to the dealer and they said that the harness was to tight and they rerouted it so it wasn't tight anymore.
    worked for a couple of days and its on again but I didn't take it back and now is past its warranty. Now I have had the check engine light on for a couple of weeks took it to Autozone to have the code read, came back with the code to replace the canister purge solenoid but the guy at autozone told me to add a good fuel injector cleaner and that that may make the light go away' Didn't work and now i have the transmission problem, it started to act funny shifting
    pretty hard some times and then a few days ago I was driving on the freeway coming home when I notice the rpms at about 4000 to 45000 and it wouldn't change gears and the fuel gauge started going nuts from half of tank that i had left to empty back and forth luckily i was almost home and had to drive it home on the same gear. took it to autozone and came back
    with the same code for the solenoid plus codes p0700/p0716/p0717 was told it was the input speed sensor and I'm afraid the plate problem is going to be next. And I just don't have the money to spend on the car. Unfortunately I became disable a few months after I purchased the car and now I'm making 1/3 of what I was making before and my wife can't find a job'
    she is currently working part time and working only 12 to 20 hours a week at minimum wage
    and spending a lot more on gas since we have to use our other truck (expedition)that uses a lot more gas we are about breaking even but at least she feels she is working and waiting for something better to came along. Please if anybody has any advise please let me know if there is a class a law suit or anything legal that I could do. I just don't have the money to fix it.
    I'm behind on my mortgage already i sure don't have the extra money to put on our "reliable and safe vehicle" I will really appreciate any help or advise for this problem.
    Thanks in advance.
    My advice is to file a suit. That's the only way to get GM's attention. These people have produced a misbegotten vehicle that should never be on the road. It borders on the criminal. I've already contacted the Lemon Law attorneys and from their assessment, it looks like I have a case. If GM had any ethics, they would buy your car back at the price you paid for it, or give you a new one. When they screw up and can't stay in business, we bail them out. When they screw up and leave the customers stranded, they hide behind their "policies." My policy is to get what I paid for. I paid for a car - not a garage queen.
    ospajesasa,

Have you already been in contact with Customer Assistance regarding these difficulties with your Acadia? If not and if you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Thank you very much for your advise dagger. I will try to look into that. I don't use the computer to much and knew little about all the problems that gmc acadia owners are having I just thought I had bad luck with this car. I think that what's not going to help me is that I didn't take it to the dealer a lot because I knew they were just going to wiggle the harness and make the light go way. I could do that myself. and about the power steering noise all they said was that they didn't hear it and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
    But now that i"m having the check engine, air bags and transmission light on I don't have warranty or or money to get it fix and I don't have a lot of documentation to prove all the problems that I"m having.
    I know I'm probably asking for to much but I would really appreciate if you or anybody can point me in the right direction about how to file a suit or complaint I'm not very smart when it comes to computers.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Thanks Sarah. I will do that. hopefully I and many others can find a solution to
    our problem.
  • chrisfloydchrisfloyd Member Posts: 17
    Sarah,

Can you put me in contact with GMC? I own a 2007 GMC Acadia that has similar transmissions problems as listed above and I also had to shell out $800 to replace a faulty aib sensor in the passengers side seat two days before my son was born? My wife refused to ride in it to the hosptial until it was fixed. How does the people at GMC sleep at night knowing they sell so many 2007 Acadia's with all these problems?
    Good morning chrisfloyd,
    Congratulations on your new addition! We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation) or the GMC Customer Assistance Center can be reached at 800-462-8782 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday).
    Hi Sarah,

I sent this information in via e-mail on Friday and I will just wait for a respond from GMC Customer Assistance about my issues.

Thanks
    Sarah,

Contacting GMC using the method you provided did not go as here is the response I just received from Brandon. This makes me mad becuase it appears that Brandon did not read my question is an only reply with a script message. Got to love the customer service at GMC. GMC needs to address the flawed transmission in all 2007 GMC Acadias and not divert the blame.

Mr. Floyd,

Thank you for contacting us. You have the right to expect long-term reliable
    performance from your vehicle. Every effort has been made to assure excellent
    quality for our customers.

However, many factors are involved in the overall appearance and performance of
    your vehicle. GMC provides an excellent warranty to protect you from unexpected
    concerns and repairs, but no manufacturers warranty is unlimited. Your warranty
    has expired due to both age and mileage and unfortunately we are unable to offer
    any assistance with this matter.

Brandon
    GM Customer Service
    dagger6,

How can I get added to the class action lawsuit against GMC for the transmission issues with the 2007 GMC Acadia? I am not getting any help from GMC on this matter and I believe that they(GMC) should be held accountable for these transmission flaws with or with a warranty. (Lemon Law)

Thanks
    Check this out! http://www.gmcproblems.com/Acadia/

I can't believe GMC is now owning up to the monster that it's created in the GMC Acadia
  • mdljackets06mdljackets06 Member Posts: 2
    My car is in the shop right now. I have 3 kids one is 5 one is 3 and I have a 5 month old. I was driving to the grocery store and all off a sudden I had nothing my car stopped moving and started rolling backwards. So I slammed on the breaks and threw it in park. I tried to restart it and it still wouldn't move I had no drive no reverse nothing. I had it towed to the shop 3 days ago and they still have no answer except there is an internal transmission issue now I came to find out its not just mine. I'm so pissed!! I have to take out a loan to fix it and after reading everyone else's story I'd like to know why gmc isn't taking responsibility for this for all the transmission failures and other issues!!!!!! I know cars have wear and tear but people are having problems after 30000 miles?! They advertise all the great cars but the don't care about the customer. I will never buy a gmc again and I will also advise everyone I know to not buy one. Is there really a lawsuit? I saw the link with the graph of Acadia problems so why don't the step up and help the people who helped them by buying their vehicles....
    mdljackets06,

We're sorry to hear about the transmission concerns you are having with your Acadia. Are you currently working with a GM dealership to get this looked into?

PLESE READ!

Everyone, please go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

right now and file a complaint against GMC and the Acadia model. This is the only way to get the ball moving about this horrible vehical GMC production and making them own up to all the problems it's cuasing us. Please do it today!

Dont way, we must get the complaint count up to get our items address. Please ignore Sarah, GM Customer Service as she is a joke.
  • mdljackets06mdljackets06 Member Posts: 2
    It's in the shop now. At the GM dealership I bought it from.
    If you like, mdljackets06, we can keep in touch with your dealership through this process. Email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah,

Why can't you help me ? You sent me the same response and I got was a e-mail from a GMC customer service employee named Brandon that appears to be useless. Why would I pay for a diagnostic fee to the GMC dealorship just for them to tell me what I already know? The transmission is going bad in my Acadia and it's due to faulty transmission design from 2007 to 2009 on all Acadia's. I dont have $4000 to replace this and no it's not under warranty. GMC needs to own up and fix this issue becuase it's a lemon design and a safety hazard. I look forward to see what kinda of script reply you send back this time.
    chrisfloyd,

I can certainly understand why you're frustrated. My understanding of the situation is that your vehicle is significantly out of the applicable warranty by mileage. A diagnosis is our first step in this process as we need to understand what is going wrong with the transmission and get an estimate from the dealership. We cannot guarantee cost assistance in advance as this is determined on a case by case basis.

I hope this helps to clarify our process - I can understand that it isn't ideal for your circumstances and am sorry that you continue to be frustrated.

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service