Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• chrisfloydchrisfloyd Member Posts: 17
    Sarah,

So let me get this straight, you want me to pay your company to tell me what you and I already know. This vehical is a piece of junk and never should have been sold in the first place. GMC created a flawed design transmission on this year model and cannot not own up to their mistakes.

YOU SOLD THE CRAP....YOU FIX THE CRAP!
  • lemon08acadialemon08acadia Member Posts: 1
    I 100% agree with the other post.... My Transmission broke in my 08 Acadia on Tuesday....No warning just all of a sudden no reverse, no drive, my Acadia only has 50,000 miles on it.... The transmission is crap. GMC knows it! I was so shocked to see the overwhelming number of people having problems with this car. GMC should take full responsibility for the design flaw. There should be a recall.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lemon08acadia,

Our apologies that you're experiencing these transmission troubles with your Acadia. What are you plans on getting it addressed? Let us know if we can look into anything further for you (we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • dagger6dagger6 Member Posts: 14
    Sarah, my question to you is what is GM doing to address the problem?
  • goomastercgoomasterc Member Posts: 3
    To all my bretheren experiencing transmission problems with their Acadia. The results are in from a "detailed" review of my case.

$3600.00 bill for new transmission
    60k miles
    5 years, 5 months of ownership
    Zip. Zilch. Zero.

I was offered a $1500 incentive toward a new vehicle. Why would I spend $40k on a new GM that just failed to meet my expectations? Whoever recommended the incentive should be EMBARRASSED! Clearly I'm disappointed about the outcome but the offer of the incentive sent me over the edge.

By the way, I have $2800 in GM Earnings that will no longer be used (I've purchased eight (8) new GM vehicles over the last 20 years and am getting ready to inititate a new generation of GM owners, my sons who are 11, 13, and 15). I asked if they could be donated to another cause since I wont be using. Nobody had a clue. Figure there might be someone who could reallly use them but GM not able to help.

Good luck everyone. Moving on with Ford!
  • jenbeansjenbeans Member Posts: 5
    My 3-5 reverse clutch wave plate shattered in my 2008 Acadia transmission on Monday of this week (2/24/13) - all of a sudden it wouldn't shift properly and then wouldn't shift at all. Luckily I got it home without having an accident. The car has 53000 miles on it and we were THREE DAYS away from the 5 year warranty expiring. I am thanking my stars that it was covered but I think this is definitely a defect and should not have happened to a car that is less than 5 years old. If this had happened last week I would be livid with how much the repair would've been. I too am shocked to see so many others with the exact same problem that we had.

Now the dilemma we face is whether we should continue to roll the dice with this car and wait for more issues to come up with it or cut our losses and get another car (NOT a GM) before this one breaks down again now that the warranty has expired. Less than a year ago the water pump died and I'm now wondering what's going to fail on it next.
    We're glad to her that the warranty was still in effect and that this repair was covered for you, jenbeans. Let us know if there's anything we can check into for you!
  • scottmay3scottmay3 Member Posts: 17
    Something that GM could do is to implement a recall to fix the known issue. Wouldn 't that be best for your customers?
  • mbrown4111mbrown4111 Member Posts: 8
    Jenbeans, you are so fortunate that you had warranty left otherwise GM would have left you holding the bag. Same story different verse, we are so sorry. Sarah... I'm guessing this is a full time job for Sarah, just dealing with transmission failures!
  • mr79hurstmr79hurst Member Posts: 4
    I posted about the problems my daughter had with her GMC Acadia, Thanks to Sarah and other people from GM Most problems been taken care of.
    Allthough it is having the transmission replaced as I write this. I was the sales manager of a GM dealership for 29 years and never ever saw this many problems with one vehicle. We sold Pontiac,Olds,Buick,GMC. I wonder why some many are sent to the Chev dealer when there is a GMC dealer in the same town. We would have been wild if our customer would have sent to Chev dealer instead of us. The dealership is now been in business 94 years. Maybe there are some GMC dealers that should contact them and find out what they are doing wrong.
    Are you sure the transmission is being "replaced?" Not just repaired? GMC refused to replace my transmission as I requested. They fixed it. Then it self-destructed again after they "fixed" it. My suggestion is to make sure they're giving you a new, fresh-from-the-factory transmission with all the redesigned and revamped components. Don't settle for a simple fix. I promise you it will explode again.
    edited March 2013
    mbrown4111, I have been thanking my lucky stars that it happened only days before the warranty expired. When I realized we were still covered for the issue, I felt like we'd hit the lottery. LOL Now I am just wondering and worrying if and when it will happen again.
    This is exactly what I am worried about. They didn't replace my transmission, just fixed it so I'm wondering when it might happen again. My husband and I are trying to figure out whether we should cut our losses and consider ourselves lucky to have had the issues while it was still covered and just get another car.
    I can't tell you what to do but what I did was sell it. I traded it in on an Acura MDX. I took a bath on the Acadia because the depreciation is massive. I owned the Acadia for two years and it cost me $600 per month in depreciation. That's $14K plus in two years. You can guess the reason why. Nobody wants these vehicles.
  • pathmom1pathmom1 Member Posts: 5
    Followed your advice & filed a complaint a few minutes ago: NO recall for defective transmissions? Bought 2007 Acadiar used, 2600 miles /felt transmission problems early on. Very noticeable jerk at 40mph. In and out of dealership since. Last few months car has been in to dealer frequently re car bucking at stop lights really rough thought engine going to die. Every time nothing showed in codes, Emergency trip to doctor/heavy traffic main artery/can't get over 20mph/engine screaming/ make it to Dr. (OMG) TOWED TO DEALERSHIP. Transmission gone. I could have had a serious accident. Finally heard something about a defective wave plate. For 5 yrs I've said something wrong. NO ONE said these were constant problems with Acadias. They issued recalls for a leak in the sun roof. NO recall for defective transmissions? KNOWN DEFECTIVE WAVE PLATES? I have extended warranty, but many don't. Warranty or not, this safety hazard should be fixed by GMC at their expence. A recall is mandated. Just ask the owners. . .
    BTW/ does anyone get there is NO SARAH IN CUST SERVICE??? These are stock responses.
    I filed a complaint at the link. It's astounding to me that these many complaints have not gotten any news coverage. It seems like we can band together and make a difference. I bought a new/used 2007 Acadia with only 2000 miles and I had many complaints but no idea I was not alone. The dealership has not shared this info with me for sure.
  • toolietoolie Member Posts: 4
    I filed a complaint awhile back too but it didn't get me anywhere. Obviously GM doesn't care that everyone who owns a 2007-2008 Acadia is having the same problems. I'm with you, it looks like with all of these complaints someone would do something about it. They should have had a recall on this before now. I've seen several comments where the dealerships have" fixed" the transmission only to break again.
    ACTUALLY I FILED A COMPLAINT WITHE GOV'T, NOT GMC. USED THE LINK FROM ONE OF THE POSTERS.
  • ho0kemho0kem Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    2008 GMC Acadia, a number of problems with this car. First the steering was loose, then it wouldn't start, rattling noise on acceleration, struts went out and now the transmission is out. What’s ironic is the warranty on the drive train expired 2/2013 and the transmission went out 3/07/2013. Neighbor says it all, “Saw your car getting’ picked up again. What happened this time?”
    WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FORUMS ON THIS SUBJECT ?? WHY NOT PUT THEM TOGETHER INTO ONE FORUM SO WE CAN EASILY LOOK UP OTHER BUYERS EXPERIENCES? I'VE POSTED TWICE AND CAN'T EVEN FIND MY POST LET ALONE ANY RESPONSES. . . THIS IS NOT USER FRIENDLY
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2013
    This is the only "dedicated" Acadia transmission discussion on the Forums (although you can find some transmission posts in the Problems discussion); you can see your own posts by clicking on the My Recent Posts link in the right sidebar.

There's lots of Q&A over in Edmunds Answers but it looks like you've only posted in here.

One trick that helps is to click the Watch this Discussion link and then click on My Watched Items to return to this discussion to see if there are any new posts.
  • scottydont1scottydont1 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission in my 2008 died on Friday with no warning. I was able to make it to the Midas shop for a check (where they told me it was shot) and then a tow to the dealership for confirmation. Cost is $3700 and of course, the warranty expired in Oct 2012, even though I only have 76K miles on it. I called GM Customer Care on Saturday and the district rep left a message on my phone today (I can't take my cell into work) just to ask which dealership it was at. I had provided that info on Saturday, to include the phone number to the service department, so not sure why that question was asked unless it is the beginning of the feet dragging. While the dealership has 2 locations, is it really that hard to call both if you're not sure?? It also doesn't help that we live in Alaska and our rep is on East Coast time.

This is obviously a huge issue and GM needs to get it sorted. Even if they don't want to issue a recall, once it's determined that the transmission has gone out, they should replace it without issue. It is ridiculous for customers to be left holding the bag on this. Other than the engine, this is the most important part of the car.
  • mbrown4111mbrown4111 Member Posts: 8
    We went to the Chevy dealer because we got nowhere with the gmc dealer and I had a relationship with the service manager at the Chevy dealer and he worked with GM to get us a better deal. Bottom line very disappointed in GM for this problem and not taking care of people at no charge.
    Good morning pathmom1,
    If you're planning on working with a dealership to get this checked into we're available to work through that process with you. Let us know by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation). One of my coworkers will check into this further with you.

ho0kem,
    If you want for us to check into this situation further, we'd be happy to do so. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation.
  • chrisfloydchrisfloyd Member Posts: 17
    Sarah,

You guys never helped me out with Transmission issues. Did you forgot about me already? Oh wait, it might be the fact that everyone in the freaking world that owns a GMC Acadia is having the same problems with the transmission and you can't seem to keep up.

I want GMC to step up to the plate and fix these issues.
  • hmarie7hmarie7 Member Posts: 7
    transmission, water leak, power steering...... the list is endless. Buying an Acadia is the worst mistake I ever made!

GM, step it up! Help all of us Acadia owners!
  • pam68pam68 Member Posts: 2
    2007 acadia,my transmission die on Oct 2012 is been almost 6 months, that I been with no car, I did not have money to fix it and GMC did not care.

the insurance stop a month before the transmission fail.

The lemon said I need 3 repairs from the dealer, i only have 2 reported. because I take it a lot of times but GMC only report oil change an car wash.

so I do not qualified for nothing. I still making my payments and have no car.

waiting for a recall an nothing. by the way I almost die in freeway and the acadia have almost all the isssues that were posted on the web.

I do not know if by posting will help a tall.
    pam68,
    Have you been in contact with Customer Assistance already on this matter? If we can check into anything for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM customer Service
  • pam68pam68 Member Posts: 2
    I did but they said sorry the insurance is expired
  • tbbsk9tbbsk9 Member Posts: 3
    I see a bunch of us GMC Acadia owners (soon to be ex owner) with tranny issues. We were having issues had a tune up on the tranny yesterday and the damn thing just stopped running on 2 hours ago on the interstate. It's completly dead.

I bought ours used from a GMC worker with 64K miles and full faith that things were GTG. In 6 months we had to put in a new timing chain and all the fixens. 98k miles, Now the tranny goes out 106k miles.

Is GMC going to do anything about this besides sending me a bill for the fix? This is a hugh flaw with so many people with the same issue.
    tbbsk9,
    Are you planning on working with your dealership to get this addressed? Let us know if we can check into anything further by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    GM Customer Service
    It's sitting at a dealership parking lot I had it towed to. If GMC is willing to help a loyal GM owner I'm all ears.

An email reply was sent with requested information. Please respond ASAP!
  • scott255scott255 Member Posts: 1
    2007 SLT FWD Acadia, at 5 years 10 month (60,670 miles) I was told my transmissions is shot and I will have to pay for a new one.
    Before I was told my transition is bad, I still fewer than 60k but just over the 5 years, SUV would shimmy under load and normally about 30 mph and then it would go away. I changed my own sparkplugs, and air filter, this did nothing.
    Engine light came on, coming back from a 3.5hr drive, pulled into a rest stop, and when I pulled out onto the highway from the ramp I had floored the car and just made it up to speed in time before cars rear ended me, something was slipping / had no power when stepping on the gas.
    Took to the GM dealer who will later tell me my transmission is gone.
    I explained I have only been driving GM / Pontiac for 29 years straight (could be in a commercial for being a loyal GM owner), and going to the same dealer for most all of those years.
    After two weeks of working on the case both with dealer and Customer Service, I ended up paying $2,500 for a factory transmission, and told trans is a 3 years or until I hit 100k.
    The person working on my case, comes back to me and made it seem bad that I changed my own oil, got some other payment help with the car right after warranty were GM paid 50% for the issue, I am thinking how does that have anything to do with my transitions that is no good at 60K and reading a ton of post with others having the same issue.
    Just wanted to post my case, as I do not think I should have to pay for what GM know is an issue. Told re-imbursement is a case by case.
    Not a recall, told recall are for safety.
    Well, getting rear ended because your transmission failed IS a safety issue. My transmission failure almost got me killed in Corte Madera on the 101 Freeway. That was the SECOND time the transmission failed and only reading 80K on the odometer. It failed the first time at 40K but I was lucky it was on a lightly traveled two-lane road. Will these bailout-happy cowards at GM ever take responsibility for this? Never again GM. It's a personal campaign of mine to make sure I tell everyone I know not to buy GM. Hope you go bankrupt again and no bailout this time.
  • hmarie7hmarie7 Member Posts: 7
    I too have a personal campaign to make sure everyone knows not to buy a GM, I'm even contemplating writing in on the windows of my Acadia. hmm I may get the guts any day now. Especially since its sitting out in the driveway with a tarp over it so the roof don't leak!!! Again! :lemon: :lemon:
  • severstaldawgseverstaldawg Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Acadia SLT with 81,??? miles almost claimed 6 lives this weekend on I10 in Lousiana after not shifting correctly then snatching my azz from the front seat to back all while a being almost ran over by a 18 wheeler. I'm planning on calling the dealership tomorrow to have it taken in and checked out but by what I've been reading that has me a little skeptical about them actually fixing this vehicle. I'm hoping for the best as for right now. I will know more tomorrow if I will need to find a idiot to purchase it from me so I can put my family in a dependable and safe vehicle.
    I just talked to guy yesterday that has a 2008 that had his transmission replaced and that it fixed the problem. Now saying that, my 2007 had the tranny replaced 2 weeks ago with $3200 going out of my pocket and it still doesn't act right. Not only did the tranny get replaced so did the struts. Who knew that struts go out when up on the rack when you transmission is replaced and now my steering is all jacked up. Now the tailgate hinges have gone out while at the dealer. Never again will I own a GMC.

So with 106K miles on my Acadia, I’ve had following done.
    Timing Chain
    Water Pump
    Transmission
    Front Struts
    Breaks and Rotors
    My experience with the Acadia leads me to only one conclusion. This platform is a misbegotten rattlebox that should never have been built. I only hope the guy who wound up with my Acadia doesn't get himself and his family killed the next time it pukes its transmission on the freeway. Everything that went wrong with my Acadia is documented so whoever gets that car should be able to know what a wreck it is. Where is "Sarah" from GMC customer service in this discussion? Is she still counseling people to check with CS? Where they get nothing but lies, excuses and double talk. Just try asking CS why the transmission has no drain plug or removable oil pan.
  • lizzie11lizzie11 Member Posts: 1
    So yes my 2008 tranny died. We don't have the money to fix it. Called GMC because the five years was JUST up...but they won't do a thing. If gm knows about these problems.. .shouldn't it be recalled??? How can we get a recall passed. I don't know what to do about this now with not having $3500. Someone suggested contacting a lemon law lawyer. Suggestions??
  • tnacadiaownertnacadiaowner Member Posts: 9
    Noting the list above, my 2007 Acadia cost me $7000 in repairs in the 2 years I have owned it. It has 96000 miles on it now.
    It has had:
    BOTH sunroofs leaked, one clogged, one needed a new seal. each repair in the $400-500 range.
    Overheating in June - it needed a new valve cover gasket, water pump, some belts etc, repair over $2000

In Sept, the transmission acted up and it had to be towed on a trip out of town. Local GM dealer diagnosed it as needing a new Catalytic converter - $900. It still ran crappy. Drove it 800 miles back to TN in one day, it would not go over 65 mph. Took to local TN GM dealer, told me that it needed the SECOND catalytic converter replaced,another $1100. A week later on another road trip, the transmission acted up and it had to be towed to a GM dealer in Georgia. This time, I got a rebuilt tranmission for $2300. I filed written complaints with GM, they took a lot of time to review them. Then they told me that their GM dealers did everything correctly!!!!! I was SCREWED. I HATE GM. This car is a real pretty lemon..... the warranty was just up when the tranmission went out (of course). Since it is paid for and I can't afford a car payment now, I am stuck with keeping it.
  • showmemo1showmemo1 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 07 Acadia (certified preowned with around 54000 miles) just a little over a year ago and it's been back to the dealership 5 times in that year. The last two times have been for the same transmission issues described by so many on this forum. Last month, luckily right before the 12 month/12000 mile warranty was up, it was in the shop for a week with a bad wave plate. The dealership fixed it (and the struts that locked up while up on the lift) and it's back there today with more transmission problems. Growing up, my parents always had GM vehicles, but this was my first GM purchase as a (30 something) adult with two (soon to be three) kids and I have to say how disappointed I am in the quality of product GM produced. This is clearly an inferior product and I will warn anyone I know that is shopping for a car away from the Acadia. The saving grace to this whole situation has been the excellent service we have received at our dealership. I truly think they have done the best they can while working with a poor quality product.
  • tigers55tigers55 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    My 2008 Acadia had 65K miles on it but was unfortunately four months out of warranty. And like everyone else, my transmission just went out. Brought it in and the dealership said great news, GMC knows they have a problem with these transmissions so they will cover part of it, and your part is only $731. For a normal circumstance that would be great given I’m out of the warranty.

However, they “know” they have a problem and instead of recalling them and fixing them, I assume they are hoping some get out of warranty and the customer eats the problem or part of it. My bigger concern is that they allowed my wife and child to drive in what I now consider an unsafe car that they knew about. What if it had gone out as she was pulling out in traffic? Went through customer service and got no further with help.

Also, my sister-in-law sold her 2008 Acadia after 3 years because she was going on her fourth transmission.

How can this many people have problems and there is no recall or class action suit????
  • busymomoftwobusymomoftwo Member Posts: 1
    Just had my tranny go out too and then found this blog. 88,000 miles but lucky for me and unlike many others, I had 3 months left of my 5 year powertrain warranty. My local dealer didn't replace the tranny, rather rebuilt it with a softer metal plate than the original. They said they have had good luck with this solution. At this point, I have to take their word on it and don't get any additional warranty on the transmission although it's supposed to be better than new. They got me a loaner and had my vehicle back in 4 working days. I still don't think a tranny should go out with so few miles. I've also had to replace all brakes all the way around, had a water pump go out, and now my rear control arms are shot, which is about $1,000 at the dealer and something in my front suspension as well. I also have rust forming just over the top of my windshield and on the door bottoms. I have had every scheduled maintenance completed at the dealer, so I would expect to have longer life out of a vehicle or at least not have to worry about major repairs until you hit at least 120-130,000 miles or more. Overall I have been happy with my Acadia to this point, although, am rethinking my decision to keep this vehicle longer term. The down side, all similar vehicles on the market if GM, have the same transmission, and other makes have other major issues reported as well. What do you do to get a car that lasts anymore?
  • acadiablues1acadiablues1 Member Posts: 6
    We purchased our 2007 acadia 3 years ago, certified used. We researched FOREVER and drove everything on the market and finally decided the Acadia had everything we wanted in a car we hoped to keep for 10+ years and that would grow with our family and meet all our needs.

I was absolutely thrown by my car failing to accelerate on the freeway and then the next day it being stuck in fifth gear and barely driving. My 5yr old & 2yr old were in danger as was I, on the freeway with a vehicle at 77,000 miles that FAILED me. My very trusted mechanic then tells me, he recommends a whole new transmission, and to turn around and sell the POS or be prepared for it to final in another 60 to 75,000 miles because it is such a poorly designed transmission. We still owe on this car, and are looking at a $4,000 transmission.... IF he can even get one since this is SUCH a common problem the transmission we need is on national back order and unavailable. So what do I do one car short for who knows how long while still making car payments!?!? Why is it that my husbands 1999 f-35o diesel that has 160,000+ mi and tows heavy loads has never even had transmission problems but here we are stuck with an undrivable dangerous lemon.

I've been telling all the friends I know with acadias about my issues & many are strongly considering offloading before they end up in this position. I love everything about this car design wise... However, the mechanical engineer behind this vehicle seriously dropped the ball & it appears hundreds of young families are struggling to fix this junk of a transmission. Go to the dealership is what I'm sure costumer service will tell me, but after numerous issues with our local GM dealer, I absolutely refuse to give them any money or business ever again. GM just lost another customer for life. I am beyond disappointed and refuse to be treated like another numbered to be told GM will charge me $150/hr to simply 'look' at an issue on my vehicle. I am telling everyone I know to stay far away from GM vehicles.
  • misc23misc23 Member Posts: 22
    The valve stem sensors will eventually lead also which are about $100 each to replace. And have you had to replace a headlight yet? I have never had a vehicle that I had to take back to the dealer to replace a head light. The response of GM to this transmission problem has me right with you. I will never buy GM again and I am telling everyone I know. Oh, and if you are contacted by socialmedia@gm.com get ready for the run around of you life. They have an internet troll department that monitors these comments and contacts people in an attempt to get you to think they are working on your problem and then after you have been strung along for months they assume you are far enough away from writing that check for your transmission that you have cooled down and will not make any more negative post. Damage control at it's best.
    So how did that GMCustsvc work out for ya?
    How did the contact from GMCustsvc work out for you?
    How did that "working through the issue with GM Customer service" come out?