Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• disbelief21disbelief21 Member Posts: 1
    I am in sheer an utter disbelief and I thought I had done my research before purchasing this car. Gmc is still rated highly for it's dependability? Not in my book anymore. I never considered searching for transmission problems before, yet here I am (luckily) after attempting to merge onto a highway and I need speed to merge in front of a tractor trailer, yet stepping on the gas only gives rims, no acceleration as if I am in neutral. Taking the foot off and it engages in a lower gear as if downshifting so the front end jerks down then gas again and it shifts pulling front up. Imagine three or so iterations of my car bucking and an 18 wheeler blaring at you as you try the slim emergency lane. I am in complete shock that a 5yr old car with 58k is having this problem. Going to the dealership tomorrow and am guessing wave plate or new transmission. So absolutely disappointed in gmc for not being proactive on this issue, they are not apparently looking at the cost of losing future customers. I am a US believer that they are destroying with this ongoing junk. Never another Chevy for me, ford or dodge will be getting my business. I'll let anyone else know this disgusting issue with gmc at the large place I work, bulletin boards just for this reason. Feel so scammed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello disbelief21

I deeply apologize that you are facing transmission repairs on your vehicle. If there is any assistance I can provide to you for this matter please let me know.

Sincerely,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • scottmay3scottmay3 Member Posts: 17
    The assistance you could offer is to recall the dang things before more people get killed over this...the wave plate is a major issue......seriously..the new recall issue is to extend the warranty on my water pump???? Talk about the elephant in the room...........
    Hello disbelief21,

I'd like to follow up with you and find out how your visit to the dealership turned out. If you would email your full name, address, telephone, VIN number, current mileage and involved dealership, I’d like to research some options that may be available to assist you. Our direct email address is socialmedia@gm.com. I'd like to work toward delivering a satisfactory resolution to this concern, if possible. I look forward to working with you.

Marlea Wilson
    GM Customer Service
  • pernetaperneta Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    08 Acadia won't shift out of 1st gear...check engine light is on. It's mind boggling to see SO MANY PEOPLE have the same problem yet GM will not do anything to help out. They love, promote and thrive off of "owner loyalty" but yet they DO NOTHING on their end to show loyalty to their customer. If something repeatedly breaks it's your problem. Not theirs. Now I have a vehicle i can't drive and i can't afford an expensive repair bill. So now what????
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you're out of your warranty period what do you expect that GM do for you? However unfortunate your situation is you're still out of your warranty period and GM is under no obligation to repair your vehicle. This would be true for any make. Because it's GM you believe they are obligated to help? Would you expect the same from Ford or Dodge? No one knows the true amount of transmission failures except GM.

Here at Edmunds there have been reports of failures but by no means any amount near requiring a recall vs. the amount of vehicles sold.
  • et_austinet_austin Guest Posts: 11
    I own a GMC Acadia 2008 that started having transmission problems one year ago (July 2012), I was on a busy highway in Austin, TX and had my three young daughters with me when I started noticing I couldn't accelerate very well. Next day my GMC Acadia just stopped in the middle of a road and I couldn't accelerate at all, thank God this time my daughters were not in the car with me. I had the car towed and it turned out the problem was a broken wave plate. I couldn't believe it when I searched on Google and found out transmission problems were very common on this VERY EXPENSIVE CAR. Luckily the repair was covered by the drive train warranty. Before buying this Acadia I owned Nissan and Mazda cars (not even fancy ones, I owned a Nissan Sentra and two Mazda Proteges) and I NEVER had these kind of problems with those cars, I remember feeling a little sad when it was finally time to sell them. But with my GMC Acadia is the opposite, I'm going to feel happy and relieved when I finally get rid of it; other serious problems I've had with this car are:

- About two months ago water started POURING inside the vehicle every time it rains, we're not talking a few drops, we're talking streams of water. There are not one but several leaks in the roof of the car. Again I couldn't believe it when I searched on the Internet and found out this is a common problem with GMC Acadias, and based on what I've read so far I'm going to have to pay a fortune to fix it.

- The hinged sun visor flap on the driver's side has a little mirror with a plastic cover. I occasionally use it when applying makeup in the car, well, just by the normal use of opening and closing the little plastic cover it broke one day and the broken plastic hinge pushed on the mirror and cracked it. So now I have to drive around with the broken plastic lid hanging in front of my eyes. The quality of the interiors is just terrible (again, compared to the Sentra and Proteges I owned for several years), a control knob on the second row of the car fell apart in little pieces, and the paint is peeling off at least 5 buttons on the dashboard, I can't tell apart the A/C buttons anymore.

I've had people stop me on parking lots to admire my GMC Acadia and tell me they are thinking about buying one, I used to be proud of it myself but now I warn everybody against buying one.
  • dagger6dagger6 Member Posts: 14
    Really? With hundreds of people reporting the same problem you don't think this deserves a recall? There have only been SIX reported fires on certain GM models out of the hundreds of thousands sold and that was enough to prompt a recall. And when the Toyota stuck throttle issue came up, there were only a handful of stuck throttle reports. And that prompted a recall. What's your baseline for a problem to become recall-worthy? Can we know the actual number of reports you've gotten on transmission failures? And let's not forget that you probably won't get a report if the transmission was fixed under warranty as my first failure was. That I didn't report. But after the next two catastrophic failures OUT of warranty? That's when I went online and discovered similar widespread problems.
    I do apologize that you are having so many issues with your GMC Acadia. I would like to do more research on your concern. Could you please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com. Please provide your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, and current mileage.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
    GM Customer Care
  • misc23misc23 Member Posts: 22
    My rebuilt 2007 GMC Acadia transmission is showing the same signs as it did before. I pulled out to try to pass someone and as I tried to accelerate the tach shot up to 7000 rpm and the vehicle did nothing. I am taking it back to the dealer but I know I will get the same ol' line. There is nothing wrong. My GM nightmare is up for sale and it will be the last GM I own.
  • knighth001knighth001 Member Posts: 1
    After 9 years, my wife and I decided to get a newer car. We were planning a trip across the country this fall with the kids and wanted something roomier. We loved to look of the Acadia and I bought a used 2007 2 wks ago. Last week after only a small amount of miles it missed a shift while we were on our way out of town for a short weekend trip. Turned around and drove it back home and got our old car (my 2001 Mazda Tribute with 200k+ miles). Monday morning I went to take it to the shop...it wouldn't even get into gear. fortunately the dealer I got if from had it towed to their shop. turns out it's a solenoid in the transmission, the chevy dealer said they keep the $700 parts on hand because it's "common."

That's crazy. Now I have to pay the $700 for the parts. the dealership is going to eat the labor. this car only has 75k miles on it. I've never had a car have any problems with a transmission that soon. I'm highly disappointed. My wife and I were so happy because the car looks great and it's comfortable, but now I'm worried at how "common" this problem may be that I'll get stranded with my family on our cross country trip.

This is my first GMC and I've always heard great things about them but I'm not going to be recommending them to others. It does sound like with so many transmission issues that they need to do a recall and put in higher quality materials or something. This is ridiculous.
  • tnacadiaownertnacadiaowner Member Posts: 9
    How many miles did you have on the first tranmission? I got a rebuilt one at about 83000 miles. Worried about it, it's been about 12000 miles since I got it.
    Hello Misc23,

I'm really sorry to hear about your transmission issue. I would like to do further research so could you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com. In the email can you please provide me your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, and current mileage.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
    GM Customer Care
    We had 110k on the first transmission, but it always did the same thing I was describing. We would take it to the dealer and they would say "they couldn't replicate it" or "that is how this new transmission is". It makes me worry that GM has done nothing to fix the problem and it will just be a matter of time before this one goes. I asked the technician who replaced mine if I should ditch the vehicle. He didn't say no, but he did say that the wave plates he puts in now seem to be a little more beefy and he hasn't seen any back yet. But that is one technician in one shop. We have ours up for sale because of the numerous other things that have or are going wrong (Power steering, AC, front plate oil leak, expensive to replace a head light, valve stem tire pressure sensors ). We got a letter from GM that they are reimbursing people who had the water pump go out. That makes me nervous because that is one thing we haven't had to replace.
    Jessica L. I have been down that road. The only thing you can do for me is to get your company to admit there is a problem and stand behind their product.
  • kristintempleskristintemples Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem and called GM. The representative that I had told me that I didn't have a strong enough business case because I was a 3rd owner including a major chain (Carmax) and that I had no maintence history with a GM Dealership which the car had been taken to Bellany Strickland in McDonough GA that is a GM certified Dealership and that I had purchased it from a a 3rd party not a GM Dealer. I am sorry but if GM can not make a transmission to last more than 5 years that is pitiful. I have had a multitude of of makes and ran them up to 150,000 to 200,000 miles and never had transmission or engine trouble. My warranty went out in Jan 2013 and I have only owned this car 4 months. What can you do Jessica that is different than Shawna?
    I am sick of seeing all these posts that GM has offered to help at the same out of warranty people, but refuse to help me because I bought from a 3rd party dealer and not a certified GM dealer. It is a GMC Acadia and GM should own up to their crappy wave plate transmission designs.
    Oh, I had to get the water pump replaced in late June of last year. I just got that recall notice two weeks ago, and took it with copies of my paperwork (over $2000!! ) to get the water pump repaired to the dealer. Am waiting for the rebate check to refund most of that $2000. But it doesn't cover the rental car I had for a week (they have to pull the engine out to get to the water pump).!! I hate worrying about what will go wrong next. My car is paid for and has 102000 miles on it. I planned to keep it for 200,000 miles but I worry.
    Jessica_ GM did not offer to help me. My warranty on the transmission ran out in June, it went bad in Sept and I had to pay for a rebuilt one while I was out of town (broke down in GA 300 miles from home). I always went to the the GM dealers for everything, and it did not matter one penny on my transmission. Still waiting for GM to come clean and make it right. I WILL NEVER EVER buy another GM car and will badmouth them forever for this Acadia.
    edited June 2013
    I wished I would have searched Google before I purchased the GMC Acadia. I love this vehicle, but I am very disappointed that the transmission went out 5 months after the manufacturer's warranty. I bought this car 4 months ago at Carmax and a few weeks after I bought it the camshaft had to be repaired by Carmax. Now after 4 months the transmission's wave plate is broke. This is going to cost me $4,000 out of pocket from GMC dealership. I contacted GMC and got a huge run around that there was a major guard policy that could possibly be transferred to me from the previous owner, but after speaking to GMP they stated that the people would not transfer it to me since they were entitled a refund from selling the car. I was also entitled to their information to contact them which is understandable, but the person would not even give my information to the previous owner to call me to try to work something out so I would only have to pay the deductible on the transmission. So I called GMC back and was informed that my case could not be escalated because I didn't have a strong enough business case with them because of the following reasons:
    1. I am a 3 rd owner (including Carmax)
    2. I have no maintenance history with a GM Dealership (Carmax sent my car to have diagnostic work done to it through a Certified GM Dealership in GA but she has not record of that) I have the paperwork.
    3. I purchased it used from a 3rd party and not a certified GM dealer

I guess for every person that does not purchase a brand new car from GM or does not purchase a used car from a Certified GM Dealership you are screwed and will not receive any type of assistance from GMC when your vehicle messes up. If an American owned company can not guarantee a transmission or motor passed 5 years with under 100,000 miles why did the government even bail them out? I am sitting here with a broken vehicle in my driveway that I have had for only 4 months and still making payments on this vehicle to sit there. Not to mention I can not take my family on vacation because the only other vehicle I have is a truck that will not seat all of us thus the reason I purchased the Acadia. I have owned other makes and models and have never had engine or transmission problems this early. I have driven Honda's and my previous Chevrolet trailblazer that I purchased from Carmax as well with over 150,000 miles and not one problem. I can tell this Acadia was probably owned by an elderly couple because it is in immacculant condition therefore didn't see a need for extended coverage. If I had only read the internet to see that this vehicles transmission is a lemon and GMC is well aware of it, but refused to do anything about it. I can maybe understand not recalling all of them, but at least own up fixing the outrageous number that messed up. If this problem were to happen pulling into traffic it could be a deadly situation. I have already contacted:
    1. National Highway Traffic Safety Association
    2. Better Business Bureau
    3. Lemon Law-Alex Simanovsky (already sent them all my paperwork waiting to hear back from them)
    The next step I plan to complete is Facebook to go viral if nothing is done by GMC. Isn't word of mouth the best advertisement? I have a big mouth!
    Shawna did not help me either. I am very disappointed in the American company. I expect a transmission and an engine to last at least 10 years. Unless you dog it out, but that is not the case with me. I like to keep my vehicles in great condition.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Besides the transmission the engines on these vehicles prematurely self-destruct due to the timing chains stretching. Without a powertrain warranty an older Acadia is like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode in my opinion. You'll probably be better off in the long run to trade it in once the transmission is fixed. Good luck.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If an American owned company can not guarantee a transmission or motor passed 5 years with under 100,000 miles why did the government even bail them out?

Good question. There was and is no good reason for the bailouts, no legitimate worthy argument that I've heard thus far, and I've heard many. Bush bailed them out because of his ego, and not wanting GM to go under during his watch (mainly). Obama bailed them out so he could get victories for re-election in two battleground States, Michigan and Ohio, States he won, without which, he'd of lost re-election; so the plan worked for him personally, but was a royal screwing to tax payers.

Buying used is a big risk, and you bought American used.....

I hate to say it, but... you got what you were asking for.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I didn't get what I was asking for. I previously bought a Chevrolet Trailblazer from Carmax as well and I didn't get a warranty on it. I did not have one problem with the transmission or engine. It had 130,000 miles when I sold it. With all these computer malfunctions I don't plan of buying new ever!
  • arleenrarleenr Member Posts: 2
    I bought my certified pre-owned 2008 Acadia from a certified GM dealer and less than 2 months into having the truck it would not shift into gear. After 2 and half weeks of the dealer having my vechile I find out the transmission had to be rebuilt. The car had almost 39,000 miles on it when I bought it. The car now has almost 42,000. For a car that is five years old and only has 42,000 miles on it to have to get the transmission rebuilt is insane. I bought a brand new toyota rav 4 in 2003 had it 10 years put over 200,000 miles on it and never once had any transmission or engine issues. What value does the title GM certified pre-owned have??!!! What value does the title GM certified dealer have?!!!
    Apparently none! They are refusing to back their crappy design and make it right with the owners. I think that is bad business practice because if you want repeat business you do what it takes to satisfy the customer. From looking on all these blogs on the internet they might need another bailout if these people are not coming back to them to buy another vehicle. Like I said before if an American company can not guarantee there workmanship then we don't need to buy from them. If it were a water pump yeah I see things like that go out that I would gladly be responsible for, but not a transmission that is proven time and time again to go out!
  • wormstrup14wormstrup14 Member Posts: 1
    I too wish I would have found this forum BEFORE I bought my 2008 Acadia...this car has been the biggest financial mistake of my life. My warranty expired six months ago and since then I have sunk about $6000 into it fixing the multitude of things that have gone wrong with it, including but not limited to the air bags, fuel line, brake fluid leaking, roof leaking, and the wave plate on the transmission. Prior to this piece of junk, I owned 3 Toyotas and a Lexus and I have had more problems with this Acadia than I have with all four of those cars combined. I am petrified to drive it especially with my three kids in it because I am scared of what is going to fail on it next while I'm driving it. I am trading it in the second it is paid off and will never, never buy another GMC car again.
    wormstrup14,

I apologize that you have had issues with your GMC Acadia. If there is anything we can do to assist you please let us know.

Sincerely

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hello arleenr,

So sorry to hear about your transmission issues. Please keep us posted on the status of your repair.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • arleenrarleenr Member Posts: 2
    Well apparently the transmission was rebuilt and everything should be fine. However, on my way to work this morning I was in traffic put the car in park because the traffic was extreme. I put the car in drive when the traffic started moving again and the car would not go into gear! I shut the car off and turned it on again and it started fine. Thank god because I was in the middle lane!! Then it happened during lunch reversing out of a parking spot, except I was on a small incline and the car started to roll backwards and would not brake. I put the emergency brake on, put the car in park, shut the car off, pumped the brake, and turned the car back on and shifted it into reverse and it worked. Called the dealer, apparently they were real busy and I had to leave a message. Waiting for a call back, safety is a serious concern. Especially, because I have a child. I will call again first thing in the morning... the saga continues. This is ridiculous.
  • bill_cooperbill_cooper Member Posts: 2
    2008 Acadia - 2nd owner - bought in 2009 w/22000 miles. Dealer maintained vehicle - just recently out of shop.

Traveling with wife and kids from Austin Texas to Colorado. Traveled for about 8-9 hours on Saturday and noticed the transmission was jerking a little and shifting on its own here and there - especially at the end of the day. Then on Sunday morning trying to leave the hotel in Dumas - the transmission completely gave out. Had it towed to Amarillo - over $200 - then the Dealer told me $3600 to 'rebuild' the transmission and $3800 to put in a new one!! wow $3800 and really no option on the rebuild given the cost and $200 difference.

The vehicle was almost paid off - and I was expecting to pass this to my daughter and then buy my wife - a new Acadia, but now I'm definitely not sure that is a good idea.

I have filed a note with GM - will wait to see how they handle the situation.
  • superspud43superspud43 Member Posts: 1
    I know. Buy Toyota because then you will have to get the transmission rebuilt at 90,000 miles because of a known issue and the airbag module can stop working and not give you any warning that it stopped working. And it is so important to Toyota to fix, it has been about 3 months since I received the recall notice and replacement parts are still not available.
    This is the list of issues I've had so far with my GMC Acadia 2008:

- Water pump failed in 2011
    - Transmission failed (broken wave plate) in 2012
    - Roof leak (water started pouring into the car when it rains, not a few drops, I'm talking streams of water) in 2013 (was quoted $380, ended up paying $495)
    - Master cylinder leaking break fluid (a $2000 repair)
    - Engine oil leak / oil leak on front cover (timing gear cover) (a $700 repair)
    - Broken hinged sun visor flap on the driver's side due to bad quality, it broke when I lifted the mirror's plastic cover to use the mirror ($200 to replace it)

When I posted about my problems here on this forum last week I was immediately contacted by a Customer Support lady who asked me to send her all my info and my car's info to socialmedia@gm.com, I did: IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME. Do you think they offered any kind of discount? NO, all this woman offered was to schedule an appointment at the GMC dealership for me (maybe they think we customers don't know how to schedule an appointment ourselves). To add insult to injury, when I took my car on Monday to the dealership, at the correct place and time, I was told I did not have an appointment!!

I was quoted $380 on Monday to repair the roof leaks, but an hour ago I had to pay $495 for the repair "because they had to replace a seal" which was not covered in the original estimate.

Do you want to hear what the "Service Advisor" at the dealership told me when I asked why my Acadia is such a piece of junk with so many problems? This is what she said, I quote: "It's completely normal for a newly introduced car to have these kind of problems during the first years of production". So if the transmission fails after only 4 years on your $30-$40k car and it also starts flooding when it rains, it is completely normal and you shouldn't be surprised according to her.

I'm never again in my life buying a GMC vehicle. And Customer Support: I know you have no shame so let me ask you a favor: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE SAYING HOW SORRY YOU ARE ABOUT THE PROBLEMS I'M HAVING WITH MY CAR.
  • jenbeansjenbeans Member Posts: 5
    Our water pump failed in 2011 as well and the wave plate shattered earlier this year. I'm afraid of what's going to happen to it next. I'd like to dump it and cut my losses before we have to spend more on it but we can't really afford a new car right now! Thanks for the reliability, GMC.

So sorry you've had this experience. I feel your pain!
    This sounds just the problems I've had. Owned my 2007 Acadia two years now and it has cost me over $7000 in repairs! I have TWO sunroofs on this model , both leaked the first year I owned it. Each repair in the $400-500 range.
    Water pump was over $2000. They say they are going to reimburse me now cause that was a recall BUT they are balking at how much to reimburse me and dragging it out. I will believe the $ when it is in my hands! Also, the transmission (wave plate) went out but it was misdiagnosed TWICE by two different GM dealers out of state and they both put new catalytic converters in (it has TWO of them, $1000 each). that was not the problem, the TRANSMISSION was. I got a rebuilt transmission done out of state too after it broke down in GA. Same thing, would love to trade it in (NEVER another GM car) but it is paid for and I've already put so much money into it!
  • jerryg2kjerryg2k Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    This sounds just like my experience with my 2008 GMC Acadia! This is the worst car I've ever owned by far, not to mention the most expensive. For the price of this car I expected better quality but the poor engineering and quality shows at every turn from the paint of the buttons rubbing off in the first couple months to the water pump, transmission, headlight harness, throttle body, etc.. (the list goes on and on). I will never, ever make the terrible mistake of owning another GM vehicle. As we can all see by the ridiculous responses from their Customer Service and Social Media reps, they could care less. If anyone out there is considering purchasing a new vehicle, do not make the same mistake I did. Do your homework and stay away from this disgraceful American Company! I owned Toyota previously and never had issues like this. I really wanted to have hope that an American company could build a quality vehicle because I would rather buy American products but this is beyond junk that they have sold to us. Never again!
  • bill_cooperbill_cooper Member Posts: 2
    So far no response at all from my good friends at GM(C). Total silence.

I guess they are not interested in selling many vehicles over many years to a person with household income over $200K. I'll stick with my BMW buying. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but the service is top notch and they do stand behind their product!
    Well, I just took my Acadia to the GM Dealership and it is going to cost me $3800 for a used transmission to be put in. He told me it would be $5,000 for a brand new one. I also asked the actual mechanic how many other Acadia's have been brought in (mind you this is a very small town) he said 6 but they were under warranty. So that right there tells me that if they are still under warranty they are a BAD design in the first place. So now I am stuck with the $3,800 bill. Also I inquired about trading it in at the dealership where it is getting fixed and they were hesitant on wanting to take it as a trade. Imagine that a GM dealership not wanting to take a trade on one of there own vehicles. Maybe because they know other crap is about to happen. The mechanic said the next thing to go is the timing belt will stretch and cause problems. Just great! Love how these people stand behind their vehicles. I will not purchase another GM product. This is insane how they treat people. I guess I will go ahead and put the extended warranty on it now since more is to come. So GM make sure you include this trip to the DEALERSHIP on my file since I don't have a strong enough case to escalate it to the next level to get financial help.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Apparently falls on deaf ears. See for yourself.

GMC Acadia sales
  • jen518jen518 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia. It has 88000 miles on it. Started to act funny and would not shift between 20 and 25 mph. Took it to the dealership who said I need an entire new transmission and since it was put into production in 2007 is no longer under warranty. No lights or warning of transmission issues just all of a sudden came on. Still owe 20,000 on the vehicle. Spoke to GM rep who said they know Nothing of transmission issues in the Acadia? This blog is full of them. Any tips on how to address this with GM? Repair is close to 4000!
    I doubt you'll get any help from GM, don't even bother to email their "socialmedia" customer support account, I did it recently and it was a complete waste of time, got zero help from them. Some of us have submitted vehicle safety complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association, and I've been posting about my multiple problems with my GMC Acadia 2008 on different forums to warn people. Good luck.
    Yes. Mention Wave Plate. Then print out as many complaints as you can from this site. Show them to your service manager at the dealer. Tell him, or her, that this is a major issue affecting thousands of Acadias. If they claim they know nothing about it, tell them they're liars. Like me, you might be able to get GM to pay for at least half of the major repair bill. And don't be shy about busting their chops. They know about this and I know they know about this.
  • akrivosheinakrivoshein Member Posts: 5
    My transmission just went out on my Acadia. Spoke to GM service, cost to $4,600 to replace. Took it to an independent certified mechanic was told that these transmissions went through several upgrades since they were placed in service back in 07. The biggest issue with my 08 was that the reverse clutch fails. When that happens it will start to clog up the filter and then the rest will go out. Again, GM has rectified this issue on newer models but yet have to recall the older models and or help in the cost of replacing the transmission.
    I was told that there is a class action law suite that is being initiated, if any one is aware of this legal proceeding, please post it on the Acadia Blog. I want to be part of it since the Transmission is just the last of several issues I have had with this vehicle.
    Issues where Traction Control, still have that issue.
    Water through the sun roof. Issue resolved.
    Air Bag. Took it in several times, all GM did was reset the warning scroll; still have that issue.
    Auto Rear door, had to replace the motor, now it is still working.
    Front wheel springs, They have been replaced.
    I believe they are replaced the stabilizer bar in the front.
    Alex
  • julhart69julhart69 Member Posts: 1
    Last month my transmission on my 2008 GMC Acadia blew on my way to work, would press on the gas and the car would go nowhere, has always resisted shifting, but not like this, luckily I was near a gas station, stopped and pulled into it and transmission fluid poured out of my car. I had purchased the extended warranty and it paid for towing, rental car and the "new transmission" . The day I picked it up, I took it right back, driving at high rpms and leaking transmission fluid. They kept it two more days and said it was fine. It began shifting really hard again three weeks later, It will not shift gears. I was late for work, again, because I cannot drive my $30,000 vehicle. CanT wait to deal with the dealership again tomorrow. Big pain, and after reading all of these posts, I am well aware that this will not be the end of my Acadia issues, and so is GM. I don't feel safe driving the car, or putting my family in it, but I am stuck. I just don't want GM's lack of taking responsibility to kill or injure me, my family, or someone else. I get sick when I think of how many problems the purchase of this vehicle has caused me.
    I highly recommend that you submit a vehicle safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you can do it online and it takes just a couple of minutes, that's what I did. Maybe if enough of us do that GMC will have no choice but recall their dangerous vehicles and fix them. Good luck!
  • jenbeansjenbeans Member Posts: 5
    Just filed the following complaint with the NHTSA: In February of this year (2013) the transmission in our 2008 GMC Acadia failed while I was driving my two small children home from preschool. Thankfully I never lost control of the car although it was extremely frightening and a very dangerous experience to not be able to shift into another gear while in the middle of moving traffic on a busy road. I barely made it home, drove with my hazard lights on, shaking and counting my blessings that our car was not hit and we were not hurt. What makes it all the more upsetting is that GM is aware of this issue with 2008 Acadia models but yet has never done a recall on the defective transmissions in our cars. GM is essentially telling it's customers that it does not care about their safety or well being. They allow us to continue to drive their cars even though they are aware of the potential danger involved when the transmission completely shuts down. I cannot afford another car for my family right now so every day I live in fear that this car will fail again and put us in danger. It is not the safe, reliable car I was led to believe it was when I purchased it for my family vehicle. GMC should be forced to recall these cars (early model GMC Acadia) and required to put in completely NEW transmissions.

I urge all of you to file a complaint as well. Link for the website is: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/
    Hi julhart69,

I apologize that you are having transmission issues with your GMC Acadia. We want you to feel that you have a safe and reliable vehicle. If you would like for us to take a second look at this for you, we would be more than willing to do so. If you are interested please send us your full name, contact info, mileage, and dealership to socialmedia@gm.com [Attn Amber].

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • familyfirst7familyfirst7 Member Posts: 2
    I am one of the consumers that did try and contact you all, but you said that there was nothing that you all could do because you didn't know about the problem and that ONLY GM forums were a reliable source, but I received your email from a non-GM forum and here it is once again..........I don't understand. You all only told me that I had a headlight recall on my vehicle and should get it fixed, even though my vehicle was down at the time. Like the other disappointed 2008 Acadia owner this problem is very expensive. My husband and I had to pay $3,600 because the transmission had to be rebuilt and the reverse function had gone completely out in the computer system as well. You all are being very insensitive to this issue because a family is really going to be hurt in your vehicle if you do not take this matter serious. My family was lucky because we were on a back road when our 2008 Acadia went completely out in the middle of the road with absolutely no warning. With someone saying class action lawsuit I don't think that scares you all because you've already made your money off of this vehicle but these could be future customers that are being disappointed. It would be great if you all could show a little compassion and support to your consumers and you could save a life in the process.
    GM is NEVER going to acknowledge this problem or help you fix it. I've been through this twice with them and finally sold the Acadia at a HUGE loss. The only word they'll respond to is LAWSUIT. I suggest that you do as I did and file a complaint with NHTSA and declare this as a major safety issue. Fairly new vehicles puking their transmissions on the freeway is a disaster waiting to happen. Yell, scream and throw a tantrum if you have to and do it in a Customer Service rep's face. It's the only way they'll pay attention.
  • moneypitacadiamoneypitacadia Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 GMC Acadia. This vehicle has 72,000 miles on it, has been garage kept, and well taken care of. I was amazed that when I typed in GMC Acadia into a google search at how many transmission problems along with all the other problems these vehicles have. A few days ago, with no engine light warning or vehicle performance warning, my Acadia starts missing the automatic shift at 20 to 25 mph and then again at about 38 to 43 mph. Never a sign before this. I take to the GMC dealer and within 30 minutes of being looked at, I receive a call stating they can repair the transmission for about $3600 or replace it for $4500. I asked if this was known problem and they advised it was not and have not seen any others. No other options were available so I just told them to hold tight and would call them back.

I call some local transmission shops and most are quoting somewhere at about half this price. I go to the dealership and advise I am having a tow truck pick the vehicle up in an hour and having it moved to be inspected by someone else for another opinion. The sales rep. then advises that if would just leave the vehicle with them for a while, he would talk to the service manager to see if could find anyway to help out with the repairs. I agree to leave the car and get a call back a few hours later offering me a $1500 deductible to repair the transmission or $2500 to replace it. Basically, they are going about 50/50 with me on the costs. I do appreciate this very much. I appreciate my service advisor at the dealership for at least trying to help out as well.

I asked for a service loaner to drive as this is my only vehicle large enough to transport my family on vacation but stated they could not do this. Not sure why when they have a car lot full of them and used ones as well.

In short, I have had all the problems as many other have noted: power steering issue, sunroof leaks, water pump failed on vacation trip in downtown Atlanta, and now the transmission. I thought that when you bought a $40k + vehicle that you could expect more? I wanted to buy an American made vehicle? After owning three GM vehicles, I think I am
    finally done with them. What is sad for GM is that their inattention or acknowledgement to the issues with the performance issues with the Acadia is creating a lot of detractors with their GM name. As a customer, I will now be telling everyone I know the experience I have had with a my GM vehicle. As a sales professional, I know that referrals and brand recognition are key for a companies success and my experience as well as others will inhibit their growth as a company.