Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• lightning78lightning78 Member Posts: 3
    My transmission went out about 2 weeks ago. I've got a 2008 Acadia with just under 62000 miles on it. The drive train warranty expired in March. I took it to a local Transmission repair shop because they quoted me a lot less to repair it verses the local dealership. I called GM and they said because I had it repaired by a local mechanic they couldn't help me out unless there is a recall done. I think this might be the last GM product I ever buy because of this incident! I hope the class action law suit works... GM needs to do something about this. Is there anything else I can do (other than to complain to a GM rep) to help this process? Thanks!
  • et_austinet_austin Guest Posts: 11
    I highly recommend that you submit a vehicle safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you can do it online and it takes just a couple of minutes, that's what I did. Maybe if enough of us do that GMC will have no choice but recall their dangerous vehicles and fix them. Good luck!
    Yes, you can submit a vehicle safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you can do it online and it takes less than 5 minutes.
  • chriss1970chriss1970 Member Posts: 4
    Well, unfortunately you can add our 08 Acadia to the list of ever growing transmission failures. Yesterday my wife was driving home and the trans in our Acadia stopped shifting, luckily she was able to get it home, we took it to the local Bill Crispin Chevrolet dealer in Saline MI and they are taking a look. I was informed that our Acadia fell out of its 5 yr 100k warranty August of 2012. This is VERY disappointing, there where no indications of a imminent failure, nothing we could have done to prevent it. Our Acadia has less than 60k. I have always purchased GM vehicles, never anything else, our ENTIRE family owns GM's, I hope there is something they can do for us.
  • angrygmc08angrygmc08 Member Posts: 1
    2 days ago my wife was driving our FIVE, that's right 5 children down the highway when her transmission went out. She ended up having to push the truck herself to a safe spot. It displays all the symptoms listed on this forum. The dealer called today to say it'll be $2600 to repair it and that our warranty expired last September. We have 75k miles on it. "Funny" thing, when the repair technician called he said that not 20 minutes after I called he had the exact same problem from someone else. When he saw that our warranty was expired he was surprised and stated "usually we get these when they're still under warranty". This is in obvious defect in the transmission. We have 5 kids and paying $3k for repair bills due to poor manufacturing is unbelievable. If GM will not stand behind their products I will be buying Toyota.
  • ekovachekovach Member Posts: 1
    The transmission first went out in my 2008 Acadia first in December of 2011 on my way to work. The car only had 65k miles on it at the time. It happened as I was driving on the highway and was very scary because I could not get up to speed and traffic was racing past me. I was sure that I was going to get into an accident. I was lucky enough to have it fixed under the warranty.

Today, the is the second time with the same issue. My transmission is going out only a year and a half later with 86k miles on it. My warranty has ended and GM said that I will have to pay to fix the issue. I think that the part and their labor should be covered considering it has been just over a year and only 20k miles since it was replaced last. That is unacceptable! There is no reason any car these days should have their transmission go out twice before it reaches 100k miles.

Someone needs to take a look at this problem and do something about it. The car is unsafe!
    I highly recommend that you submit a vehicle safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you can do it online and it takes just a couple of minutes, that's what I did. Maybe if enough of us do that GMC will have no choice but recall their dangerous vehicles and fix them. Good luck!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi ekovach,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having repeated issues with your transmission. If you would like us to take a second look at your case, please send your full name, VIN, contact information, and dealership to socialmedia@gm.com [Attn:Amber]. If you've already spoken to GM Customer Service about this, and were given a case number, please send that as well.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Hello,

Sorry to hear about your transmission. I can understand your frustration and I would like to look further into this for you. If you are interested, can you please send me your full name, VIN, contact information, and the name of the dealership where your vehicle is being serviced? You can email this information to me at socialmedia@gm.com [attn: Amber]. I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • wilki94187wilki94187 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday driving home from vacation from The Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri to Denver, my car's transmission went out just outside of Lee's Summit, Mo. We are a family of 5 so let's just say that this was not in our plan! We were so very lucky to be close to a big town that, thank goodness, had a Chevy dealership. We barely made it to the town, driving along the side of the highway with our hazards on, to pull into the dealership. Our check engine light had just come on and so we stopped, only to not be able to get the car back into drive. After a few minutes, we were finally able to get the car to start back into Drive, but the car would not shift itself, so we had to drive about 20 miles an hour. Unfortunately since it was Saturday, there was no one in the service department that could even look at the transmission. The very nice service man plugged in the code reader and it came up with 3 transmission errors right away. They will not be able to properly access the problems until Monday or Tuesday next week, and we are looking at least a week for the problem to be fixed. Apparently, this is not the first Acadia he has seen with this problem. More than 800 miles away from home, Roberts Chevy put us up in a rental car, big enough to fit all of us and our luggage, so that we could at least make it home. Of course, my warranty expired in September last year, so I have no idea what's going to happen from here. Also, I now have the huge worry that I am here in Denver, with a rental car from Missouri and MY car more than 800 miles away from me. I will have no choice than to drive another 1600 miles round trip to collect my car. I am panicked about the cost, because frankly, I do not have the money for a huge car repair. :cry:
  • rinconmikerinconmike Member Posts: 4
    My 2007 Acadia Transmission Died with under 50,000 miles on it in August of 2011. Had it fixed and the day I picked it up I drove to an infiniti dealer and traded it in. Once fixed, if under warranty or not, get rid of it and buy something other than GM. I am glad I did.
    I got rid of mine 3 days after the tranny was fixed. Mine was 2 months off of warranty and the tranny went out and GM would only help if they get recalled. Those things are a crappy product from a crappy company and they lost my business for good over a $2500 repair bill. They lost a hell of a lot more than that in business. I own 3 GM vehicles and I got rid of one, just have to get rid of the other two and I'm done with them! Oh yeah and it doesn't help me at all that my GM customer service rep is sorry for my problems!
    Apologies can only go so far. I've was getting apologized to for 2 weeks by you "customer care" reps. I had my Acadia for a year and it cost me $8000 between repairs and what I lost when I traded it off recently. I hated to go with a foreign manufacturer for my next vehicle, but the customer reviews were very good. I do believe in the American Car Manufacturers, but when you get burned by one, it's easy to turn away. You need to recall that POS Acadia for the Wave Plates. It's already lost you a lot a business and will continue to do so as long as nothing is done about it. I'm not sure if they're waiting for people to die in accidents? When you have such a massive failure the company should help their customers or their customers will be turning away in masses. I doubt you get another bailout....
    UPDATE: Took my local dealer 3 days to get back to me to tell my the trans was smoked on the Acadia, my 5yr 100k warranty had already expired.
    3 options

1. Repair what is broken 3100
    2. Full rebuild 3600
    3. Re certified GM trans with full warranty 3700

I told my service rep no way, I am not forking out any money, and that I wont trust that any repair will last, hell the original trans didn't, why would a rebuild. She spoke with some of her managers, etc. I now get to pay a 1k deductible as if I had a extended warranty and they are repairing it. I told her go for it, priced what its worth on trade. And plan to sell it immediately. We may even stop by the VW or Honda dealer as soon as I get it back. My wife's father worked for Gm for over 30 years, we have a combined count of about 12 GM cars, I have owned nothing but GM cars, I work for Chrysler and still drive GM cars. But now, I don't know, my wife has sworn off domestic's. So we will see!
  • chrisfloydchrisfloyd Member Posts: 17
    Everyone needs to go to this Govement website and file a complaint. The last time I checked, there have only been 196 official complaints which is not enough to get any movement from the government on the issue.

Please go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action;jsessionid=tM1GRkLCf6yn- vhvTz2YC5jB6T0MQQtLWcnnzKNqvN0CLQgclTrG4!543230671

today and file a complaint. I don't care if GMC cut you a deal on a repair or if you have already sold the vehicle, file the complaint to help all the other owners out there and lets put GMC in their place.

File a compliant today.
    I will, I have no problems doing so, but your link isn't working.
  • familyfirst7familyfirst7 Member Posts: 2
    I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and they have advised me to contact the Attorney General's consumer affairs division in my state. This would be another outlet for everyone, in addition to the NHTSA complaints. Please have proof of other contacts regarding your problem (i.e. letter from GM), any receipts, etc. We need to do whatever we need to do so that we can be heard and to get this information out in the open since GM claims that they have no knowledge of this matter. I am nervous and afraid each day that I drive my vehicle, thinking that it may quit again at anytime and anywhere leaving my children and I stranded. Let's band together and try to get something done, because no one should feel this way.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The NHTSA link at the top of the forum should get you to the complaints page.
  • miked88miked88 Member Posts: 3
    My wife was driving our 2007 Acadia home yesterday with our 3 kids and the car :sick: would not shift out of 1st gear. This has not happened in the 2 and half years we have owned the car but I noticed several complaints about this problem on talk forums. Once home and in the drive it would not shift to reverse. We pushed it out of the drive and I drove it to the shop. The car would not shift out of 1st gear the entire way to the shop. Once at the shop I could not get the car to shift into reverse. I'm gong to go talk to the mechanic now. Sounds like this a common problem Amber. Can you help me as welll?
    Code 0776 and after running recommended tests, mechanic confirmed transmission failure on 07 GMC Acadia. Transmission will take a week to get here and then 11 hours labor to install.
  • bmer916bmer916 Member Posts: 1
    Just like everyone else - power steering problems, rack & pinion replaced, leaky roof, failed water pump. Now, at 78,000 miles my transmission failed. Broke the reverse and slipping between gears. 3 months out of warranty. Decided to have local shop do it because it was too expensive at GMC dealership where we bought it. $3200 out the door.

This car has cost me a fortune.
  • 2010_chevy_man2010_chevy_man Member Posts: 1
    Stay away from this Vehicle. Too many problems to report. some covered by GM, most are just sent back home as Not Able to reproduce, which means they couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Now the Transmission is slipping. 49000 miles on it. Unbelievable on such a high cost vehicle that is driven on flat land and doesn't tow anything. We have a extended warranty with USAA, maybe I can get Aamco to fix it using the warranty.
    The transmission in our 07 Acadia went out while my wife and kids were just driving down the highway. Our mechanic diagnosed it was out and needed replaced. I contacted GM and asked for their assistance since I had been reading about so many transmission failures on the 07 model with the wave plate. They directed me to take it to a GM technician for diagnostics so I did and they confirmed wave plate failure. GM was unable to provide any cost assistance because the vehicle is out of warranty by 10k miles even though this is a very common issue. I am also filing a safety complaint about it and will trade it off after it is fixed.
  • bobbootsbobboots Member Posts: 1
    I put nearly 100k miles on my '07 Acadia, 75k miles on my 2010 Chevy Traverse with no transmission problems.....However, I always order the Trailer-Towing package which includes an extra transmission oil cooler...so I am curious if these failed transmissions are on vehicles with Factory Towing packages.

I ran into this with problem on my Dodge Caravans which did NOT have the extra transmission cooling and did a serial replacement of transmissions. If they had simply replaced the entire radiator which includes the transmission oil cooler, I don't think any of the new transmissions would have failed.

So if you are having a transmission changed, I recommend changing your radiator to a NEW one at the same time....because it is likely a major contributing cause of the failure.
  • zewmanzewman Member Posts: 7
    My acadia had the towing package from factory on it, however it was never once used. It was not 4wheel drive either. So I doubt the problem is the cooling system. It is a fault with the cheap wave plates that GM would rather sacrafice future customers than make the issue right... I was so happy the day I no longer needed to look at that vehicle in my garage and wonder what would go wrong next!
  • scottmay3scottmay3 Member Posts: 17
    Towing kit here, but never tow anything. They just use inferior components. It is all related to a faulty valve block, and that is common to all transmissions in this series. GM thinks we are too stupid to figure this out, but nonwtheless, they wield the power until the death rate gets high enough to care. They can say otherwise, but until that hits the watermark, we're stuck with the bill.
  • lightning1977lightning1977 Member Posts: 1
    Mine has the tow package also, but had never seen a receiver hitch as far as I could tell. Most of the tranny's I believe went out under warranty, but some lasted longer and still others haven't gone out yet. I personally think they must have changed something (such as a parts vendor) in 2007 sometime that had a negative impact on the transmission. I've got a couple friends that have 2007's that haven't had trouble either. I always though a transmission would last as long as you took care of it. These had a fatal defective part that I don't think anything could help. In my opinion, the gear ratio was screwy... mine shifted a lot on the highway up a down hills. I think this put more pressure on the defective part. It's gone now, thank goodness! Never going to buy a GM again after this experience. Not the failure of the transmission, but the companies lack of handling the situation.
    Hi lightning1977,

I'm sorry that this experience with your vehicle has caused you to feel this way. If you have any concerns in the future please let us know and we will work to address them in a timely fashion.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • tranniebroketranniebroke Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased our Acadia new in 07. The first year with the vehicle was a dream come true. However, in year 2 that dream became a nightmare! It started with steering issues, then the air conditioner went out EVERY year starting with year 2. We took it to multiple dealerships with no luck. The air conditioner problem was finally diagnosed approximately 10,000 miles after the warranty expired. Go figure... The steering still isn't right. After fighting tooth and nail with GM and showing all the service records concerning the air conditioner they finally agreed to fix it. (They insisted it was a separate issue)... Last week my wife was traveling on a local highway when the transmission went out. Thank the Lord she was near her sister's house when it happened. We only have a little over 88,000 miles on the car. We have taken good care of the vehicle getting it serviced regularly. I am terribly disappointed in GMC. After reading several of the posts I totally expect to have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. GM BACK UP YOUR PRODUCT!!!!! If they make it right, which they won't, I'll remain a loyal customer and buy my 8th GM vehicle, but from the posts I've read I probably should start looking for a nice Toyota. (which I already have)
  • lisa5753lisa5753 Member Posts: 1
    Well you can add me to the growing list of unhappy Acadia owners! Coming home from vacation yesterday, my '08 Acadia started having transmission issues. Slipping and revving between gears and making a horrible noise! Luckily we made it home but calling the mechanic in the morning! I have 66,000 miles on this car...should not have to replace the transmission. I have already gone through new radio/nav system, headlight issue (recalled after we fixed it), rear power lift gate repaired, water pump replaced (paid out of pocket $600) and now transmission issues??? Completely unacceptable on a vehicle with 66,000 miles! And what will GM do about it? Probably nothing. I am 8 months past my power train warranty! There must be a reason that all of these people are having transmission issues...GM issue a recall! So mad!!
    Hello miked88,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this issue with your transmission and I understand your frustration with this situation. If you would like for us to look more into this for you and see what else can be done, please let us know. We are available by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please provide your VIN, contact info, and dealership.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • ericfitzericfitz Member Posts: 5
    We have had our 07 Acadia in the shop numerous times. Replaced steering column, broken AC, And other major fix of motor. Two weeks ago we got the check engine light and took her into the gmc dealer once again.We have 45000 miles and are over a year out of our drivetrain warranty. The dealer said we had 2 issues and it would cost around $1000 to fix. Now after being in the shop for over a week, the gmc service calls and informs me the transmission need to be replaced. At a cost of over $4500. Now to come upon others that have the same problem is kind of comforting but bothering that GMC sells us a product that carries our kids to there first day of kindergarten and then breaks down at the dealer and will cost us even though it is a problem that is documented in discussion groups just like this one. Hopefully GMC will address this problem and make us want to support American made.
  • mbr549mbr549 Member Posts: 3
    Ours had the tow package also and never saw a trailer hitch on it. After seeing all of the problems others were having and the complete lack of accepting responsibility on the part of GM, it is now someone else's problem. I hated to take a beating on the trade in value but peace of mind is more important to me than arguing with GM over an issue they don't want to acknowledge. I felt that they had ample opportunity to acknowledge the issue and failed to do so. The end result is, I will never own another vehicle that is made by GM and I have no problem letting everyone who asks me why I no longer have the Acadia what my experience was with GM
    Hi ericfitz,

We understand the importance of having a working vehicle for your family and know how inconvenient repairs can be. Have you spoken with GM Customer Service about this?We'd love the opportunity to look more into your situation for you and see what all can be done in addressing your transmission issue. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include your VIN, contact information and dealership.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    thanks Amber for responding to my message. I have contacted GM customer service and am talking with Cynthia. She is looking into our situation and talking to the GMC shop that is working on our car. I have been doing some research of my own and have talked with a friend that works for GM. He has informed me of problems with Acadia wave plates. I guess they inproperly heat treated. This is what makes them fail at such low milage. I believe they have corrected this problem after the 2009 models. I am hoping that GM will replace this known transmission problem and we can continue to enjoy our Acadia.
    Hello ericfitz,

Thank you for responding to Amber's post. I see you are already in contact with the appropriate people to assist you with your vehicle issue. However, if you do have additional questions or concerns, or would like to keep us updated on the outcome, don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia(at)gm.com. We are here to assist!

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Amber N.)
    GM Customer Care
    Hi Ericfitz,

I would be shocked if GMC actually helped any with this issue. The GMC customer service department offered me help as well with my 2007 Acadia but then when I went to take to my local dealership, they wanted to charge me a hefty service fee just to check it out. GMC is a joke and the best thing you can do is to file a complant with safecar.gov and hope that the governemnet will research and make GMC fix these issues. Looking at the site today I only see 213 complaints on file for the GMC Acadia and I know this should be in the thousands due to the cheap parts GMC uses on these vehicals. Please don't be fooled by false promising with the customer service people from GMC. They really don't give a crap. Since I bought my Acadia, the transmission is slipping, the check engine light stays on, and the a/c goes in and out. GMC is not what they use to be. GMC is crap.
    When I posted about my problems with my GMC Acadia 2008 here on this forum a few weeks ago I was immediately contacted by a Customer Support lady who asked me to send her all my info and my car's info to socialmediagm.com, I did: IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME.

• sgibson5sgibson5 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2007 GMC Acadia since March. We recently went on vacation and it broke down on the interstate. It was towed to a GMC dealer and they told me the next day that I needed a new transmission. This is my first GM car and I will never buy one again! They tell me they are working on assistance for me but I am sure that is just a crock of [non-permissible content removed]! I am still under the 100,000 mile power train warranty but of course the 5 years is up. I am not asking for GM to cover the full cost but some help would be nice. The 2007/2008 models should have a recall on them as they did not ix the problem until the 2009 models!
    sgibson5,

I am deeply sorry to learn that you are experiencing a transmission issue with your vehicle. We cannot guarantee anything but we would like to look into this for you. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com. In the email please include a brief overview of your vehicle concern, contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care
    thanks for the response. I am waiting for a call back today from GM. I wont hold my breath. It doesnt make sense that they wouldnt fix a problem that is a known defect. I have a feeling that I will be sending some letters to various agencies in hopes of sharing the pain with GM. I would love to make a tv ad to rival the Acadia ads. showing our car sitting on the side of the road and then at the GM shop for weeks on end. With our second grader and one year old having to thumb it for a ride to shcool and day care.
    This is an awesome idea EricFitz. SIGN me up for it.
    YouTube could work even better. Remember "United Breaks Guitars"? Over 13 million hits and still counting.
    Ok. Just to have all the facts on how much it would cost to replace my transmission on my 2007 GMC acadia. I am told it would cost a Total of $5126.oo. I talked to the customer service and even she thought that price was shocking. I am hoping that when they replace it. They use the newer wave plates that have replaced the faulty ones that they used in the models before 2009. Also Im hoping that this transmission makes it further than 45000 miles like my last one. It is too bad that GM cant step up and fix what they sell. Wishin our warranty was a 6year 3month 50000mile enstead of 100000mile or 5 year.
    thanks for the suggestion. you are so right. I just watched the United breaks guitars and may have to breakout the GO Pro camera.
  • jerryg2kjerryg2k Member Posts: 2
    Count me in too! New transmission, now new motor (in 1 month)that GM was willing to help out on with a 20% assistance. I'm out $9K on a car with 125K miles on it! Horrible quality for a $40,000.00 vehicle and really disappointing that an American car company can't do any better to stand behind their product.
    Better to "do it yourself" than hanging around hoping someone will do a class action. Even if you win, three years down the road you may get a coupon for $500 off a new car.
  • noblittnoblitt Member Posts: 2
    Well, I just joined the needs a new transmission club. My 2008 Acadia has a little over 58,000 miles and one day felt a little jerky when I put it in reverse. Sure enough, that night the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to the ONLY gm dealer in our town. They told me they were very busy and didn't know when they could get to my car. (they don't make appointments-it's 1st come 1st served.) Of course I then went to our regular mechanic, who has given me the great news. I did email GMC and they have called me and opened a case. The customer service lady informed me there are no known transmission problems! However! They want me to take my car back to the GM dealer so they can diagnose the problem and IF there is a defect then they MAY cover some of the repair! But, if it's not a defect then I am responsible for all costs, including the diagnostic fee!! What a joke. The gm mechanics told me to go elsewhere, I did and I will certainly have a bill from my current mechanic. And how can they claim there are no known issues?!
  • dlcacadiadlcacadia Member Posts: 2
    We had the same problem as Victim #626 and dagger6 above. Our 2007 Acadia with approx. 85K miles on it just died while we were on the interstate with other traffic driving 75-80 mph. So dangerous!! Thankfully we made it safely to the shoulder (the car wouldn't make it to an exit) and sat with that traffic whizzing by us for 45-50 min until a wrecker could come tow the car to a GM dealership. We were not close to home, so just had to pick what was around us. Thankfully the dealer we used in Seguin, TX has been great and had a rental car for us, but now we are facing the high cost of a new transmission. The car is still at the dealership. Is GM providing any assistance by way of sharing the cost of the repairs?
  • djfranknydjfrankny Member Posts: 1
    I've been having issues with my Transmission as well. I bought a 2008 Acadia SLT certified Pre Owned from a dealer in April 2010, it had approx 55,000, In June/July 2010 at 55446 the transmission went. This past October while on the highway after driving an hour a message on the message center indicated that the transmission was hot. I stopped and let it cool down. While waiting I googled the issue an saw all the comments regarding the same issue. Once it cooled down, i paid very close attention to the tachometer & temperature gauge relative to speed and noticed that cruising at around 65-70 mph the tachometer was over 3000 rpm's and not coming down, so it would appear that it wasn't shifting in to a higher gear. This past weekend i was driving to the shore and notice the same that rpm's were staying over 3000 rpm again. At about 60 mph is was down to about 2300 rpm, which is still too high. When i hit traffic the Temp would jump from about 210f to 230-240f and i wasn't running the A/C. Since the weekend i've only driven it locally and have been unable to reproduce the problem but i did notice that at 60mph, rpms were at about 1500. So there's definitely an issue when the driving long distance. The truck has only 70766 on it now, so since the rebuild I've only put 15,000 mi on it. I made an appointment with the dealer and left it today. The called me and said they haven't found anything but they're going to keep it and see if they can recreate it.

Has anyone had the same shifting issue and was their dealer able to resolve it and if they did, what did they do?