Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• rogerhicks58rogerhicks58 Member Posts: 4
    Whats also interesting about the security system locking the ignition switch is that the tow truck will be here in the morning to tow it to the dealer. The car is outside with the front against the garage door. With the ignition locked it can't be taken out of park and can't be moved with the front wheels on the driveway. I guess they will have to jack up the front and put front wheels on dollies to pull it back from the garage. The Equinox has 350 miles on it.
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for that. I wish I had the chance myself but no local dealers had a six. I can't say I'm disappointed with the 4 cyl though. With 186 hp it's plenty powerful for most situations. Even merging into highway traffic I haven't found issue so far.

Now have 2500 miles on it in 5 weeks. Averaging 28 MPG combined driving. I'm finding the computer is showing about 2.3 MPG lower then when I calculate it. I live in northeast PA and climb many mountains on 2 lane roads and highways so I'm plenty satisfied with the MPG. To date I haven't had any of the issues reported in this or other threads and feel really bad for those that have. Hope everyone gets thei situations worked out.
    My Equinox is unlocked and running after shutting down during the warm up phase. During warm up from the remote start it will shut down if the hazard lights are turned on. After this shut down the remote start will not work until the key is turned on. In this particular case the electric power steering had forced the steering wheel very hard in one direction and could only be turned with much difficulty after the shut down. The ignition can only be turned on if the steering wheel is not putting pressure on the ignition switch. The tow truck driver figured out what the problem was. He says he has about 2 calls a week for the same thing even with other makes. I have tried several times and could only duplicate the same condition one time. Its an embarrassment for me and should also be for GM Road Side Assistance since they didn't know how to help me except to tow it to a dealer.
    Chrevrolet will supply as an accessory for the Equinox a 1 1/4" trailer hitch and wiring harness, $274 price tag. A 2" hitch is not available. I wanted to have a 2" hitch installed for a handicap scooter lift at the local trailer shop. I do have a small boat that I may tow sometime in the future. When I went to the Chevrolet parts department they told me that the wire harness is not available for the 2009, 2010 or 2011 Equinox and to check back in 6 months. My sales person got involed and verified that this was the case. It is not advisable to splice into the wiring and you actually need the wiring harness. Has anyone wired their Equniox for towing?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Tarverlee,
    Not a problem. Please just let me know how you would like to proceed from here. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    The steering thing sounds like something that is fairly common and people stumble across on occasion (myself included). Many times it is created by having pressure on the steering wheel when key it turned off. When you let go of wheel it turns back and tightly locks. It may be avoided by letting go of wheel prior to shut off (not a bad idea to leave it alone after shutoff also).
  • wingrootwingroot Member Posts: 43
    It's a learning process for both of us. I'm still finding little tricks that I can use to make things work my way. It's still a great car.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Just got a new equinox 4 cylinder, nice car. Can someone point me to the oil filter?
  • vwalburnvwalburn Member Posts: 23
    The oil filter is located on top of the engine; next to the oil dipstick under a black plastic cap. It's a cartirdge-style filer.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Thanks VWALBURN. Found it. Takes a 1- 1/4" wrench but no swing room for convential wrench. I might try a crow foot wrench. Thanks again.
    Try this site for at least an idea:-)
    http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-2983-lisle-14700.aspx
  • eegreeneegreen Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 2011 FWD 4cylinder Equinox in July and received it the first part of October. Overall, I am pretty happy with the performance of it, especially with the 4 cyl. I am however, having a problem with a hissing sound that is coming from the air conditioning system. When the recirc is on, every 26 sec a hissing sound will happen and last for about 3 seconds. I have had it in to both Checy dealers in my area, the first told me to turn the radio up (ha!) the second tried to replace the a/c expansion valve. They said the sound was fluid moving through the lines. After having it in the shop multiple times, I am now being told this is normal noise for this vehicle. With less then 2,000 miles on a brand new vehicle, this is not what I want to hear! Is anyone else noticing this sound?
  • back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    That was your big mistake, you took it to a Checy dealer. I never trust them so I take mine to a Chevy dealer........ ;)
  • dksandwickdksandwick Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my 2011 Equinox two weeks ago. the other day I plugged my cell phone in to charge. When I got out of the Equinox the phone quit charging. I checked all four power outlets the only one that has constant power is in the cargo area. You would think the one up front would be hot all the time. Anybody else notice this lousy setup.
    dksandwick,
    I apologize you are having difficulties. Have you taken your vehicle in to the dealer? Have you checked your phone charger? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Yes...Aft outlet always hot. Fwd. dash outlet power cancelled when pass. door opened. Works for me....I have a voltmeter in fwd. outlet, so when I leave car it is off. 2008 Malibu it was always hot.
  • carpinskicarpinski Member Posts: 2
    Friends just bought a 2011 Equinox with the leather interior. They took my wife and I for a drive and those have to be the most comfortable rear seats I have ridden in. Even with the front seat all the way back, I had more than enough leg and knee room. I'm 6'3". Front driver's seat real comfortable also. All the times I wished I could have told the engineers at a car company how to design a car's interior and this has to be the closest they have ever come to my wish list.
  • drvtrudrvtru Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2010
    I have 2011 Equinox Ls that has been at the dealer for a total of 15 days since I bought it a month ago today. First issue is the car shifts horribly. 2nd to 3rd is almost jerks you foward and back. Secondly the car has lunge foward while in reverse four times on us. We had to slam on the brakes to get it to stop. Brought it to the dealer with these issues. Dealer says "the computer has to program itself by learning your driving habits. Some cars it takes a couple hundred miles other a few thousand. These transmission are bulited by hand so their clearances are all different." Secondly the lunging foward while I am in reverse. The dealer said " sorry we cannot get your car to dulipcate your problem and cannot find any error code or fault codes at this time". So bascially I am out of luck. So I contacted my GM area rep. Greg. He was basically useless. Greg said I cannot help you unless the dealer finds something wrong with the car. Well thanks a lot Greg for your CUSTOMER service. I guess when I rear end someone in the parking lot or drive through my house while trying to back out of my garage then Greg might be able to help me out because the dealer will call him and tell him the car has sustain front end damage from unknown origin possible drivers error.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Sounded strange to me too, but it is a learning transmission and adjusts over time.

As far as going forward, let alone lunge, when in reverse, that's something that will require a video cam mounted in a place that will allow you to video both the shifting and the outside of the car, for perspective. This is a must, if no one else can duplicate your problem! Your documentation of this phenomenon will be needed if something bad happens. I would tape yourself driving until you capture this problem. Just make sure you're not doing it near people, places or things.
    Good luck.
    Just hit 3000 on my 2011. Loaded with a six. So far...great. I am sorry to hear about the tranny problem. I thought this was the new GM where problems would be look into. When does a business learn. I hope someone at GM comes to your aid. If they go down the same old road....they loose. And this time we will bury them.....Wingroot
    So, today made arrangements with another Chevy dealer to look at the car. Dropped the Equinox off and tell said they would keep over the weekend. Since I did not buy the car from that dealer they could not provide me a rental. So, I had to go back to where I bought the car and got them to give me a rental for weekend. So as it stands right now I have put more miles on the rental, which is a Traverse than mine own Equinox.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Wingroot,

I know I said some time back that if you're buying the Equinox you get the 4 cylinder and enjoy the fuel economy - otherwise you buy the Traverse, but after reading all the complaints about the 4 all over the Internet, I'm officially changing my stance: I now think it makes more sense when purchasing an Equinox to pay the extra $1500 for the 6, get the conventional hydraulic steering, concede some of the 4's fuel economy, and be happy that you're not driving something that looked great on paper, but just didn't pan out in practice.

Next generation, GM ought to make the Equinox with the 4 a little smaller and lighter, make the 6 a little bigger, and dump the Traverse which is too expensive, too big, too heavy, and has unacceptable fuel economy going forward.
    colt_hero.....You made some very good suggestions. And the six....well, I just feel more comfortable with a car of that weight. And road feel.....much much better with the hyd. steering. The just do not have the pre load and artificial feel technically correct in the electric steering.
    If they keep up with the quality control they will have some winners. But how knows with the UAW.....they always shoot themselves in the foot. But, no more bailouts. This is their last chance.
    Has anyone used a kit to add directionals to side mirrors?
    drvtru,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please e-mail me with your case number? I would like to look into this. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • stthomastthoma Member Posts: 1
    2011 Equinox: Returned home, put the car in park, the key will not release from the ignition switch. Turned the car back on reversed out of the garage, reparked, put the car into park still the key will not release from the ignition switch. Luckily I can park it in my locked garage tonight but I need some information on how to get the key out of the switch.
    First....Please check owners manual. If this dosent help...Car in park....go to neutral ...put some pressure on key to release it while slowly moving the shift back into park. Try with engine off, and engine running.
    :mad: To continue from where I left off. My Equinox was at another dealer other from the one where I bought it from and they had it for about a week. They could not get the car to replicate the problem of lunging forward while in reverse. Apple Chevy called GM and told them of my problem and GM said, have the customer engage the parking brake when parking. Apple Chevy understood that answer would not be satisfactory for my problem since it was a brand new vehicle. Apple Chevy explained to me that GM could not do anything else because they did not have a fault code or error code come up on the computer. GM does not reimburse them for warranty work that does not have a error code. I understand Apple Chevy dilemma as well. I don't understand why GM can not help me in anyway. According to Greg my area representative he does not get involved until the dealer finds the problem. I don't understand this either because they can't find the problem because they do not get paid to do exploratory work to find the problem, unless computer shows an error. So, what if it was a loose screw in the linkage or it could be any number of other things the would not show up on a computer, because it is not related to any electronic component. Sorry it just my out of box thinking. This is a safety issue not some crazy rattle that happen every now and again. I do not feel safe putting my children in this car. So I went back to the dealer where I bought the car from and they said the are willing to trade in my Equinox for less than I paid for it. Since GM has this promotion this month they are able to do this and get me in to another Equinox at close to what my monthly payment is now. I feel that I am being rushed in to this, and my problem is just being swept under the rug. So I am suppose to go there on Monday November 29, to start the paperwork of trading in my Equinox. I would just like GM to take this car back and I be happy to buy another Equinox without rolling in my first Equinox in the deal.
    Well I fixed the problem it is just going to cost me a extra 80 a month. I traded in my broken White Equinox for a not broken Red Equinox. The dealer from where I bought traded in my White Equinox LS for a Red LT model. They did not have a white in stock was same options so this was the my only other choice. The only way they were able to do this was Chevy is running the "Chevy giving Back" promo. Otherwise I would have not bought another Chevy. Buyer beware if you buy a used 2011 Summit White LS Equinox with aftermarket dvd player, and only 750 miles, it might lunge foward while in reverse on you one day.
    stthoma,
    I would suggest taking your vehicle to your dealer of choice. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    drvtru, please tell me that is fiction :surprise:

If not, how many miles away from Apple is the dealer that now owns the car (your original dealer).

I've checked every one within about 50 miles, but so far I can't find that tricked out Nox. :lemon:

I find it hard to believe that you let GM off the hook for selling you an inferior product and paid them an extra, what, $4000 to boot, along with sales tax on a second car. :confuse:

But, if that's what you did, that's what you did :shades: :shades: :)
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    drvtru, sorry to hear your story, I do not feel the dealer/GM is doing the right thing. they should send technician to solve your problem, not matter there is an error code or not. and $80/mo seems high. just my 2 cents.
    It is all true, what was I supposed to do. My wife will not drive the car, I don't feel safe putting my kids in the car. GM had my family in a pickle, that was only option. I needed a car that my wife and kids could drive/ ride in. Safety is my number one priority here. I am not rich so, I am not just writing the extra cost off. Maybe GM will come around.
    Well, that's an amazing story, I hope you have a better experience with your new Nox.

It will be interesting to see if someone buys that car and shows up here with the same problems. They will have evidence that the dealer sold them a car with known previous problems.

Anyone have carfax to check the data on that vin?
    drvtru........Well, the problem is behind you. I am sure the new Nox will be fine. But, you did raise a very good point....they were worried about codes. Suppose it WAS something mechanical....an incorrect shift linkage and so on. GM dropped the ball. It would seem their customer service is back to the bad old days.....they never never learn......Wingroot.
  • rlbatesrlbates Member Posts: 1
    Tarverlee,

Did anyone ever respond regarding the gas mileage? I think I am having a similar issue and one of the reason I purchased this vehicle for was mileage.
    I have a 2011 Nox with a six. 320 mile trip, speeds 70 to 75 MPH, stop and go, I averaged 25.4 MPG. I have 2,500 miles on car. With your four it should much muc better. Computer problem?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    A 4cyl AWD may not actually do all that much better due to weight/hp and aerodynamics. My CRV isn't really all that impressive in highway mileage either.
    Now have 4000 miles on our Equinox and continue to like it more and more. No oil usage and 26 mpg combined. Only issues so far; A crack on the INNER pane of the front windshield (replaced by dealer with no questions), sagging headliner (fixed by dealer) and front passenger door slightly pushed up by latch (fixed by dealer by adjusting latch and front hinges). Great car with no regrets after looking at everything else on the market.
  • gramwar1955gramwar1955 Member Posts: 1
    I was very happy w my 2011 Equinox. When it 'threw a rod' on my way home from work when I was going 58 MPH on the inside lane, loud noise, car filled w grey smoke and trying to limp my car to the side of the road, I was terrified. My 1st brand new car in 30 years has 1,274 miles on it. I want a new car..."NO WAY " Says Gamblin Motors. I have an AVEO to drive for the next 2 wks, at least, because my car needs a new engine. The day I bought that car the 2nd 'Key" didn't work...O.K. 2 weeks for a new one I can deal with. This, NO, I WANT A NEW CAR. I put 1/2 down on this vehicle an I deserve a car that I can feel is dependable. It was 4 weeks.
    Have they said anything as to the cause of the failure? Very unusual in todays day and age. Manufacturing has improved but still not perfect. Keep us updated.
  • mickey1035mickey1035 Member Posts: 1
  • oscar007oscar007 Member Posts: 2
    :) We got our Nox on 12 12 10 and drove it on a road trip that we (5 passengers-2 adults -3 kids) got 21.8 miles per gallon. We have had no problems or issues from our Nox thus far. We are looking forward to better milage after the first oil change as the motor should be broke in now.

We get 20 mpg in a mix of hwy and city driving at the moment. We do not take off fast and drive the speed limit. Hope this helps.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Same way you would normally, with the door handle.
  • watcher4watcher4 Member Posts: 2
    I just bourght a 2011 Chevy Equinox and the ipod nano I have doesn't seem to work in it. Are there certain Ipods that work in the 2011 Chevy Equinox? The ipod I have now is probably about 3 or 4 years old.
  • carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    Well pray to god that it's reliability is better than the previous generation nox. My 09 nox only has 24000km's and it has been riddled with problems over its current 16 month life.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I'm thinking about a 2011 Equinox and looking for some advice here. I'm too lazy to sift through the entire thread so I'm just going to ask. I currently drive an early build 2010 Fusion. There are some issues with the Fusion and I'm concerned about long term reliability. Also, a little more vehicle will suit me. Does the 4 cyl have enough power for an everyday driver? I don't tow, but will use the back to haul stuff. What kind of real mpg's are folks seeing with the 4 and 6 cyl? Any transmission problems? How's the FWD in snow? Finally, how about fit and finish? Any responses are appreciated. Thanks.
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Buy a 2011 Honda CRV 4WD. You can't go wrong with realiability and real sale!!! Wife almost bought an 2011 Equinox but backed out at delivery before the papers were signed because of long-term reliability and resale issues!!!